Options

Move around and stop eating that crap [Weight Loss and Fitness]

ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat anklesRegistered User regular
edited November 2011 in Social Entropy++
Ok, we have a weight lifting thread, but we need somewhere else to talk about weight loss.

Maybe.

Please?

Ok so I'm trying riding my bike everyday in the 100+ heat for some weight loss. Those of you who ride bikes: within 10 minutes of jumping on my bike, the thumb side of my wrist starts to hurt so so much, especially if I'm doing a lot of gear shifting. I'm not wearing gloves (are the necessary). Besides adding wrist support, any tips of relieving this?

Your turn to gloat about your weight loss. What are you doing to get sexier?

EyQGd.jpg
ThreeCubed on

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    I keep meaning to exercise more, I make a point of walking places (rather than using public transport etc) when possible, and trying to pay more attention to controlling my diet (cooking more is probably helpful for this).

I have a dumbbell set upstairs that I try to motivate myself to use to help burn some extra calories too, but I seem to find it very easy to get distracted and make excuses in my head, like a lazy goose.

• Options
    ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    I know. It's like: exercise, something you loathe? Internet, TV, baking, reading, PA forums, or anything else you like? YES, THAT PLEASE.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    I tried going to a gym one time, figuring I might be more dedicated if I spent some money on a membership, you know?

Then I discovered that I get incredibly self conscious and just couldn't do it, only went that one time.

Whoops!

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I've been working out and eating better (if not as much as I should) so I dropped around ten pounds in the last two and a bit months. Went from 185 to 172.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    what if you set your computer up at a treadmill or an exercise bike? combine your passion with something you loath.

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    I just get cancer to keep my svelte girlish figure

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    I'm trying out that whole ketosis thing, dropped my daily carbohydrate intake to less than 20 or so grams a day, Down to 280 from like 330.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I lost something like 60 pounds last year, then I plateaued, now I'm gaining again. Not much, but enough that I'm pretty upset about it.

But the plan is, I'm moving out of home in about 2 weeks, it's gonna be a huge adjustment and massive change to my schedule, and I'm going to use that to just drop some better habits in while I'm at it.
    Gonna get back to running every day before work, gonna cook every night, gonna get one of those weekly home delivered boxes of fresh produce and use it all in new and different recipes, gonna turn a spare room in the apartment into a little gym and force my new roommate to work out with me

• Options
    SLAMMUSLAMMU Registered User regular
    Lifting weights is a great way to lose weight! Between weight training, training in muay thai and bjj, and generally fixing my diet I've dropped to 190lbs, from about 250 like 2 years ago

SLAMMU-1.png
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    i've hovered around 200 for a while, and that is far too much for my frame. i've started back on the diet and exercise train though, and think it's pretty feasible to get back down to the 170-180 range.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I think I was like 155 - 160 back in October

I've been meaning to weigh myself recently but I keep forgetting to

• Options
    Fyndir wrote:
    I tried going to a gym one time, figuring I might be more dedicated if I spent some money on a membership, you know?

Then I discovered that I get incredibly self conscious and just couldn't do it, only went that one time.

Whoops!

Yes, me exactly.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    Melding wrote:
    what if you set your computer up at a treadmill or an exercise bike? combine your passion with something you loath.

Yes, I want this so much. But you can't have a treadmill in floors >1 in my building. I'm keeping this in mind on my next move.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    Marg, are you secretly my clone, but female?

• Options
    i've hovered around 200 for a while, and that is far too much for my frame. i've started back on the diet and exercise train though, and think it's pretty feasible to get back down to the 170-180 range.

It terrifies me to think that I have to get down to 150 just to get out of the "obese" category.

The most I'm supposed to be is 125. WHAT?!

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    Fyndir wrote:
    Marg, are you secretly my clone, but female?

Yes, i'm starting to think this.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    Wait, aren't you also pretty short?

That would more or less ruin that idea.

• Options
    Fyndir wrote:
    Wait, aren't you also pretty short?

That would more or less ruin that idea.

We are opposite in sides of the Atlantic in which we live, height, and genitals.

Also I can't shoot a gun.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    Wait, opposite?

You're 4'6"?!

• Options
    Uh, 5'0" I meant you're freakin' tall.

Aren't you? You're tall.

I'm interested in the formula you used to reach that conclusion.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    Well, I'm 6'4".

So I did that backwards, 'cause backwards is kind of almost like opposite!
    It's possible this only makes sense at 4:30 in the morning after you've spent your night watching London burn.

• Options
    Yes that DOES make sense.

I know Scotland isn't close (in miles) to London, but stay safe, boy.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    I've been working at this!
    Last fall I was just over 170
    Now I'm around 145! This morning I weighed in at 143
    Feels so good, duders!

• Options
    Margarazzi wrote:
    It terrifies me to think that I have to get down to 150 just to get out of the "obese" category.

yeah you should just go ahead and not pay any attention to these numbers. Just because they kind of work for average people don't mean they do for everyone.

• Options
    skettios wrote:
    Feels so good, duders!

You looked TINY in your cam whore photos.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    I made a point of arguing with my doctors when they brought up my BMI recently.

Just flat out pointed out that I could lift and carry any one of them around the ward if I wanted, yeah I'm too heavy, but it's not all fat either, so don't throw BMI at me without checking anything else.
    Margarazzi wrote:
    I know Scotland isn't close (in miles) to London, but stay safe, boy.

So far everything seems contained to England, Scotland is just kicking back and watching.

I'm going to start work on a banner that reads "THIS STREET PROTECTED, LOOT ELSEWHERE." to hang off the side of the flats if anything does kick off in Glasgow, though, gonna put myself directly in harms way just because you told me not to.

• Options
    Margarazzi wrote:
    skettios wrote:
    Feels so good, duders!

You looked TINY in your cam whore photos.

thanks!
    I'm 5'6" and have a bit of a larger frame. Kinda big rib cage. I'm like a carrot, or an upside down pear haha

• Options
    #pipe wrote:
    Margarazzi wrote:

yeah you should just go ahead and not pay any attention to these numbers. Just because they kind of work for average people don't mean they do for everyone.

Yeah, I know. But it's still crazy.
    That big-boned stuff is crap (you're fat, get used to the word), but I know that I have a stout dwarf-frame.

My boss's wife is the same height as me, but she's a bit delicate. If we *looked* weight, I think I'd still weigh more than her on the scale.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    I was running a few times a week in addition to eating smaller portions and better things.

It's been hot out so I run when I can. If it's too hot, I at least try to go for a brisk walk. And keeping the eating the same.

Think I've plateaued, but I'm honestly pretty happy bout where I'm at. I could maaaaaybe lose a few more pounds if I tried.

Think I need to work on toning up.

• Options
    My usual doctor is so awesome.

I went to see him for a general check up before I started seriously working out last year.

My blood pressure is always perfect. Always within 5 of 120/80. My cholesterol was also perfect, clean blood, strong heart, strong bones, strong lungs, strong guts.

He was like "Don't let anyone look at you and say you're unhealthy, cause I've got the data right here. You're perfectly healthy, you're just fat!"

• Options
    #pipe wrote:

I went to see him for a general check up before I started seriously working out last year.

My blood pressure is always perfect. Always within 5 of 120/80. My cholesterol was also perfect, clean blood, strong heart, strong bones, strong lungs, strong guts.

He was like "Don't let anyone look at you and say you're unhealthy, cause I've got the data right here. You're perfectly healthy, you're just fat!"

haha ya, think the only time my blood pressure came in a bit high was when I was just getting over a cold.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    weight range things are really weird.
    few of them say I should be 130.
    if I got that tiny, I'd probably lose my boobs D:
    Though I've somehow managed to keep them throughout my weightloss so far

I ignore those chartsfor the most part

skettios on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Margarazzi wrote:

There's a lot of hob-bob about the whole BMI thing that suppose to tell you whether or not you're obese, overweight, or normal. Basically, when the BMI thing came about, a huge percentage of the population (something like 60%) became overweight overnight. I honestly think there's a much better way to determine your healthy body weight. I name it the 'Do I need to lose weight?' method.

Basically you stand in front of the mirror, naked, and ask yourself do you need to lose weight. Assuming you're not suffering from any self image disorders, you can basically tell whether or not you're at a healthy weight. Right now I'm at the 'I need to start losing some excess weight' side of this scale and I'm currently uping my cardio and getting rid of carbs from my diet. I'm planning to start commuting with my bike, and I'm currently getting my bike muscle back at the gym.
    Ok so I'm trying riding my bike everyday in the 100+ heat for some weight loss. Those of you who ride bikes: within 10 minutes of jumping on my bike, the thumb side of my wrist starts to hurt so so much, especially if I'm doing a lot of gear shifting. I'm not wearing gloves (are the necessary). Besides adding wrist support, any tips of relieving this?

Yeah, this is no good. It could be a number of things, but most often it's just the bike being poorly fitted for you. The best thing to do is to go to a bike shop and have them fit the bike for you. You an try gloves and gel inserts for your bars, but they're not substitute for a good fitting bike.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    #pipe wrote:

That's so cool. You should get, like, a medical ID bracelet that just says: "perfect"

I'm always really proud when a doctor checks my cholesterol or blood pressure. I even got one to say: "you're the healthiest fat person I've ever seen!"

This was negated by my rolling around in pain on the hospital bed from gallstones.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Okay yeah I need to start riding my bicycle too.

Marg, as far as the hand pain, yes wear gloves or have REALLY comfortable grips.

It's also possible that you are putting too much weight on you wrist while riding, try to be conscious of this, it's something I do all the time and it sucks. A cause to this may be that your bicycle isn't the right size for you, as in the "cockpit" area is mismatched to your body dimensions.

What kind of bicycle are you riding?

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    Basically you stand in front of the mirror, naked, and ask yourself do you need to lose weight. Assuming you're not suffering from any self image disorders, you can basically tell whether or not you're at a healthy weight.

have you ever met

a woman

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    skettios wrote:
    weight range things are really weird.
    few of them say I should be 130.
    if I got that tiny, I'd probably lose my boobs D:
    Though I've somehow managed to keep them throughout my weightloss so far

I ignore those chartsfor the most part

DO NOT

LOSE YOUR BOOBS

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Biking is pretty damn good way to lose weight apparently.

Just look at Ethan Suplee.
    You guys remember Ethan Suplee right?

Image3.jpg

well he's been riding his bike a lot and
    ethan-suplee.jpg

#pipe on
  • Options
    FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    One year ago I weighed 220. At 5'10" that made me pretty big. All the weight was fat also, no muscle at all. Now I'm 190 and I have much bigger muscles. It was all just diet and exercise. Consuming 1,500 calories a day + whatever I burned in working out extra made me lose weight in a slow but efficient manner. I used http://www.myfitnesspal.com and their wonderful iPone app.

You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • Options
    Tonkka wrote:
    Okay yeah I need to start riding my bicycle too.

Marg, as far as the hand pain, yes wear gloves or have REALLY comfortable grips.

It's also possible that you are putting too much weight on you wrist while riding, try to be conscious of this, it's something I do all the time and it sucks. A cause to this may be that your bicycle isn't the right size for you, as in the "cockpit" area is mismatched to your body dimensions.

What kind of bicycle are you riding?

A $98 mountain bike. (I'm Onion John poor, there's no "get a better bike" or "take it to a bike shop"). My seat is as low as it goes.

I find they hurt the most when I do a lot of braking or changing gears. I find that I'm putting a lot of pressure on my thumbs and first finger because I can't reach my brakes with anything but my pinky and ring finger. Maybe once I'm less scared and don't hover on the brakes it will go away. I'm going to try better grips.

EyQGd.jpg
This discussion has been closed.