As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive - Matchmaking that actually works?

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I don't know how they plan to monetize this honestly. It cleaves so close to CS:Source that it's barely more than a graphical update with a new wrapper. I don't know why CS fans would pay money for this when 1.6 and Source have such huge penetration.

I mean, I would definitely play this if it was widely bundled with another Valve game like CSS was with HL2, or if it was free, and had a huge playerbase surge/revival as a result, but as a new for-pay product I would never actually pay money for Counterstrike.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    HalfhandHalfhand a stalwart bastion of terrible ideas Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    At this point if the next peep from Valve isn't Half-Life I might say they've abandoned the franchize. Since Orange box we now have Portal 2, Dota 2, TF2 stuff, now a new CS. How much longer can they take?

Halfhand on
    corio2.jpg
  • Options
    LitanyLitany Registered User regular
    Both Left 4 Dead's as well.

Still, maybe we'll get that long awaited sequel to Day of Defeat we've been clamoring for.

Steam: Litany || PSN: Litany- || Nintendo Network ID: Litany
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Halfhand wrote:
    At this point if the next peep from Valve isn't Half-Life I might say they've abandoned the franchize. Since Orange box we now have Portal 2, Dota 2, TF2 stuff, now a new CS. How much longer can they take?

From Half-Life 1 to 2: Six years.
    From Team Fortress Classic to TF2: Nine years.

You're suggesting that this is out of the ordinary for Valve and completely indicative that they've abandoned HL.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Scosglen wrote:
    I don't know how they plan to monetize this honestly. It cleaves so close to CS:Source that it's barely more than a graphical update with a new wrapper. I don't know why CS fans would pay money for this when 1.6 and Source have such huge penetration.

I mean, I would definitely play this if it was widely bundled with another Valve game like CSS was with HL2, or if it was free, and had a huge playerbase surge/revival as a result, but as a new for-pay product I would never actually pay money for Counterstrike.
    It's a pretty big graphical update, though. Plus new maps, weapons and game modes. Also matchmaking stuff, even if a lot of CS players believes matchmaking is an evil console spirit, out to eat their souls.

There'll probably be a vocal minority that'll declare every minor difference from Source/1.6 awful, take it all very personally and would vastly prefer if it really was nothing but a graphical upgrade. Hell, those groups are probably already forming. I saw quite a bit of stupid just from looking briefly at the Steam forums.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    They'll monetize it with a lot of cosmetic stuff, I'll bet. People love their Gold AKs and stuff.

• Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    The thing is, I don't think you can properly wear a golden AK on your head... Maybe the dualies can be strapped on like earmuffs?

You could probably also make a hat out of the bomb, but I think they'll really make their money in silly hats like the helicopter hat and Dr. Seuss hat and stuff.

[/sarcasm]

• Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    Drake wrote:
    They'll monetize it with a lot of cosmetic stuff, I'll bet. People love their Gold AKs and stuff.

I would probably buy a Golden AK, sadly enough.

• Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2011
    I am surprised how old this game looks, it is basically source. I mean even the animations and the sound are the same I think.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Skill-based matchmaking is a big deal, for newbies and veterans alike. And I would be a bit surprised if this wasn't free to play. Counter-Strike has always effectively been free for fans of Valve games. They can monetize skins and other personalization items, without getting ridiculous like TF2.

• Options
    It just hit me.

Balaklavas. Funny balaklavas. Grim balaklavas.

I would soooo wear a troll face balaklava. Like, even maybe spend a few bucks on one.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Zek wrote:
    Skill-based matchmaking is a big deal, for newbies and veterans alike. And I would be a bit surprised if this wasn't free to play. Counter-Strike has always effectively been free for fans of Valve games. They can monetize skins and other personalization items, without getting ridiculous like TF2.

If it's F2P? Expect it to be, methinks.

• Options
    I tried to find it yesterday and failed, but I read shortly after the initial announcement something where a Valve guy specifically said they wouldn't sell hats for CSGO (with no word on non-hat cosmetic items). Then again, Portal 2 ended up having stuff for the co-op bots without it ever being mentioned before release.

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Whatever you do, don't look at all the map objects they took from L4D

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    The thing with doing the TF2 model with CS is that this game's art direction is far less flexible in terms of random shit that you can throw into the game without totally breaking it.

CS is a more brutal and unforgiving game than TF2 in the first place, but if you start adding a bunch of crazy looking guns or premium skins to a game where being able to instantly discern friend from foe (especially on FF servers) and recognize a gun(and probably the person who's carrying it) by its sound, adding a bunch of extra "noise" has considerable gameplay implications.

I guess it's still possible to monetize vanity items, but it's a much harder sell when the game's design necessitates them being far more subtle and realistic (such as bandoliers, knives, grenades) rather than throwing crazy pimp hats and brain slugs onto the store.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    Whatever you do, don't look at all the map objects they took from L4D

Which ones? The stacks of boxes? Also, there are wooden crates from HL2 in L4D.

• Options
    I'd bet that stuff is placeholder objects. Work in progress and all that. Why not use some nice looking assets you have laying around from other games?

And the idea of matchmaking makes this pretty attractive to me. The thing that holds me back from playing CS for the most part is that 98.9% of the player base is MILES ahead of me in skill.

• Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    It might not be placeholder though... Valve always re-uses assets. Sounds, textures, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if we keep seeing them.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Scosglen wrote:
    The thing with doing the TF2 model with CS is that this game's art direction is far less flexible in terms of random shit that you can throw into the game without totally breaking it.

CS is a more brutal and unforgiving game than TF2 in the first place, but if you start adding a bunch of crazy looking guns or premium skins to a game where being able to instantly discern friend from foe (especially on FF servers) and recognize a gun(and probably the person who's carrying it) by its sound, adding a bunch of extra "noise" has considerable gameplay implications.

I guess it's still possible to monetize vanity items, but it's a much harder sell when the game's design necessitates them being far more subtle and realistic (such as bandoliers, knives, grenades) rather than throwing crazy pimp hats and brain slugs onto the store.

As long as there's a consistent style, there can be a lot of variety in skins. Terrorists are dirty looking guys in regular clothes, counter-terrorists are all wearing SWAT team type stuff. They could sell different skins that fit the theme, voice packs, reasonable weapon skins, etc. None of it has to be as bizarre and random as TF2.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    So, the Major Nelson PAX video highlights Counter Strike GO. This leads me to believe it will be on Xbox. If its true, whats the point? Valve has a hell of a time supporting their games on Microsoft's system.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote:
    So, the Major Nelson PAX video highlights Counter Strike GO. This leads me to believe it will be on Xbox. If its true, whats the point? Valve has a hell of a time supporting their games on Microsoft's system.

Yeah, it's the 360 version they're showing at PAX and they're gonna show the PS3 version at Eurogamer expo. Are you forgetting or choosing to ignore that both Left 4 Deads had new content released simultaneously for PC and 360 and that it's supposed to be the same with Portal 2?

• Options
    HalfhandHalfhand a stalwart bastion of terrible ideas Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote:
    Halfhand wrote:

You're suggesting that this is out of the ordinary for Valve and completely indicative that they've abandoned HL.

I thought it was 4 years from HL1 to 2? Either way, your point stands. I do think this has to be the longest they've gone without giving any kind of update though. Every year or two we got some kind of info on TF2's development, right? There hasn't been a single bit of info on HL3 in 4 years.

I'm pretty sure the internet will crash when HL3 is announced, though. Whenever that happens.

corio2.jpg
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    Halfhand wrote:
    Zxerol wrote:
    Halfhand wrote:

I thought it was 4 years from HL1 to 2? Either way, your point stands. I do think this has to be the longest they've gone without giving any kind of update though. Every year or two we got some kind of info on TF2's development, right? There hasn't been a single bit of info on HL3 in 4 years.

I'm pretty sure the internet will crash when HL3 is announced, though. Whenever that happens.

Half Life came out late 98 i believe. HL2 came out in like September of '04. That shit was long awaited. We are starting to approach that gap between ep 2 and HL3 though.

I'm getting fucking anxious!

y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    I caved and brough CS:S on sale yesterday, and all I have to say is: As long as the devs manage to curb the goddamn sniper rifle exploit abuse in Global Offensive I can easily see myself enjoying it.

• Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    Drake wrote:

Back in my day you could just apply a gold AK skin and be done with it. Though I suppose the difference is only I could see it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    That looks purty. And honestly? I think I might get down on that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    That video makes me smile, remembering the good(for the most part) ol' CS days.

Sadly, my only means to play GO would be Xbox, and I'm pretty sure it isnt Valve's fault, but their games hardly get any support on that platform. Ah well :(

Edit: Dang, those Molotovs are pretty boss.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Lost three years of my life to the first one--what's three more, amirite?

And yeah, molotovs are most definitely a good idea.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm all "Boo hoo boo hoo I wont buy it"

I'm sure I will...heh

• Options
    Ever since Source was updated a few months back to make hit registry a lot more reliable (and made quite a few weapon and accuracy tweaks) I've been enjoying the game greatly. It sounds like GO is going to be just as fun judging by the footage so far.

Now if they'd include the option to cut down on the cacophony of "FIRE IN THE HOLE" every five seconds, that'd be even better.

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    There will always be that group of gamers who abhor change.

Heck, I still bristle at the mention of Counter Strike 1.6. I'm strictly a 1.5 man myself, and hate anyone who plays something newer.

• Options
    Ever since Source was updated a few months back to make hit registry a lot more reliable (and made quite a few weapon and accuracy tweaks) I've been enjoying the game greatly. It sounds like GO is going to be just as fun judging by the footage so far.

Now if they'd include the option to cut down on the cacophony of "FIRE IN THE HOLE" every five seconds, that'd be even better.

GO appears to be geared around 5v5, which is fewer players than most CS servers, so that should do at least a little about that.

• Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    Drake wrote:

Back in my day you could just apply a gold AK skin and be done with it. Though I suppose the difference is only I could see it.

I was definitely all about downloading gun skins :^:.

y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    Here's one hour of CS:GO from Intel extreme masters. It's a showmatch of Eurotrash vs Amurricahns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogcBfHjzsIU&feature=player_embedded#!

Looks neat.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Dunno what's up with the choppy framerate, unless that's a spectator thing, but it looks pretty solid thus far - it's still a ways to go before completion, right? I'm really liking the extra detail on the weaponry and models in general.

Also, bunny-hopping confirmed! :P

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    So have they settled on whether we're gonna get headshot by bunnyhopping AWPs, or AWMs? The names always seemed to switch.

• Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    Judging from the video you won't have to bother since you'll get bunnyheadshotted by the auto sniper rifle :P

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Movitz wrote:
    Judging from the video you won't have to bother since you'll get bunnyheadshotted by the auto sniper rifle :P

which will be banned on every server ever.

I came in here to say no l33t kr3w, no purchase, but then I'm pretty sure I saw an updated l33t kr3w in the USAvsEU grudge match.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    Beta set to go live today, anyone else already redeemed a key to get in?

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.