As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Industry Thread: This is the old one, go to the new one

• Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    plufim wrote:
    With the Vita having such a shitty battery life in addition to the 3Ds nub thingy, the phrase "the inevitable redesign" is in almost every damn story. That phrase is starting to lose any meaning.
    Just wait for the inevitable redesign of that phrase.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    I was toying with idea of grabing a Vita and loading up with all PSP and PSN games I missed, but the sad battery life and crazy memory prices killed that idea quick.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Wait what? 3DS nub thing?

Doesn't it have two standard analog sticks?

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Honestly, I don't think the 3DS or Vita have a bad battery life when compared to smart phones. With increased horsepower and other bells & whistles like wifi, I don't think we'll see 10+ hour battery life devices ever again. I've become accustomed to dropping my 3DS on the charge cradle every day and I've only run low on power once. It's just too bad Sony isn't including their charge cradle with the Vita. I guess they learned a lesson from Xbox 360.... sell the system for a surprisingly reasonable price and make up the cost by nickel and diming them to death on accessories. It's pretty smart, as most people won't notice.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I can't say battery life really bothers me that much. Around five hours seems perfectly fine to me and I don't see myself ever needing more than that.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular

I think he was referencing the nub on the 3DS and the "bad" battery life of the vita being the reason for each system's eventual re-design, not saying that the Vita had both bad battery life and a 3DS nub. The Vita does in fact have 2 very nice sticks.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    Here's an idea Sony

Maybe your customers wouldn't ever sue you if you didn't treat them like you fucking hate them

The only wiggle room and barely willing to grant Sony is that they're probably getting hit hard over the security issues from earlier this year, and they were looking for a way to protect themselves from going bankrupt should something else occur.

Which, for me, would be a sign of abandoning ship if I owed any stock, since the company's confidence has gone down the shitter.

Do you actually play on PSN? The entire experience is much more consumer friendly than Live.

• Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Battery tech doesn't exactly move all that fast. Without making the devices bigger I doubt they could eek that much more life out with a redesign. Even smartphones kinda suck if you play games on them.

And for the record their ain't nothing wrong with the 3DS circle pad. Though an argument could be made that there should have been two from the start.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular

I think he was referencing the nub on the 3DS and the "bad" battery life of the vita being the reason for each system's eventual re-design, not saying that the Vita had both bad battery life and a 3DS nub. The Vita does in fact have 2 very nice sticks.
    Yeah, that was what I was saying. It's in every second Vita and/or 3DS story now, and it is trucking intolerable.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    Here's an idea Sony

Maybe your customers wouldn't ever sue you if you didn't treat them like you fucking hate them

The only wiggle room and barely willing to grant Sony is that they're probably getting hit hard over the security issues from earlier this year, and they were looking for a way to protect themselves from going bankrupt should something else occur.

Which, for me, would be a sign of abandoning ship if I owed any stock, since the company's confidence has gone down the shitter.

I'm the last person to be on the Sony Defense Force, but I wouldn't read much of anything into the "you can't sue us" clause. I bet every telecom company is putting one of those into its contracts as well, because of the Supreme Court decision on class action lawsuits. I mean, if you were a corporation that had a contract for people to sign and the Supreme Court said, "Hey, you can make your customers sign a contract with a clause saying they can't launch a class-action lawsuit against you," wouldn't you do that?

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Henroid wrote:
    Here's an idea Sony

I'm the last person to be on the Sony Defense Force, but I wouldn't read much of anything into the "you can't sue us" clause. I bet every telecom company is putting one of those into its contracts as well, because of the Supreme Court decision on class action lawsuits. I mean, if you were a corporation that had a contract for people to sign and the Supreme Court said, "Hey, you can make your customers sign a contract with a clause saying they can't launch a class-action lawsuit against you," wouldn't you do that?

That's the way I see it; the Supreme Court made the ruling so Sony are just working off that. If there wasn't a ruling to base it on, and Sony were doing it of their own volition, I wouldn't find it as palatable.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    What's the big deal? If you really have a problem with it, send the letter and opt out like it says. It's not Sony's fault that the majority of people are too lazy to read the fine print.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    What's the big deal? If you really have a problem with it, send the letter and opt out like it says. It's not Sony's fault that the majority of people are too lazy to read the fine print.

Not everyone such as yourself has the time to read every TOS they encounter in their own life. I apologize for not reading over all the fine print on everything I have ever purchased. Forgive me and my laziness; I have a life to live.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    European RPGs are weird. Fun, charming, and addicting, but weird. It's astounding how much better Divinity II is to Fable III.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    European RPGs are weird. Fun, charming, and addicting, but weird. It's astounding how much better Divinity II is to Fable III.

but

but they're... both European. Or at least, Molenyeux certainly is.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    Yeah, but Divinity II has a charm to it that Fable III frequently lacked. Fable 1 had a sense of charm and whimsy to it, Fable II refined and perfected that, and Fable III only had it in certain sidequests. It's hard to describe, but I can feel it, ya know? Not to mention Fable III was painfully short.

However, none of the Fable games are as ballbustingly difficult as Divinity II, so there is that.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Then use some other terminology. It's like saying "American cheeses are so refreshing, Muenster is so much better than Pepper Jack"

People just start staring at you slack-jawed.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    Okay.

Erm.

Lemme think. If Dragon Age was written by George R. R. Martin, then Divinity was written by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. It's got a lot of dark stuff in it, but's it all balance about by wonderful, creative, interesting stuff.

How's that?

• Options
    Much better, because you aren't saying "Thing X is better than Thing Y because of Criteria Z" when Criteria Z can be used to define Things X and Y. :P

• Options
    Ye gods, I really shouldn't post at 3 in the morning. It's just interesting to me the way that RPGs made in Japan, North America, and Europe are different from each but still hold similar elements, namely swords, magic, and boob armor.

• Options
    Lilnoobs wrote:

Not everyone such as yourself has the time to read every TOS they encounter in their own life. I apologize for not reading over all the fine print on everything I have ever purchased. Forgive me and my laziness; I have a life to live.

Haha. Wow. Struck a nerve there. Moral of the story: don't fuck with someone who writes poetry. You're dealing with a coiled viper. I'll just back away slowly and return to my wasted life pouring over piles of terms of service agreements.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Ye gods, I really shouldn't post at 3 in the morning. It's just interesting to me the way that RPGs made in Japan, North America, and Europe are different from each but still hold similar elements, namely swords, magic, and boob armor.
    Not all RPGs have swords (There's an occasional sword in Fallout, for example, but you mostly use guns). Or magic (again, Fallout). But nearly all of them certainly have Boob Armor (Oh, Fallout. :D). *grin*

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    So....

Boob Armor is universal?

My god. Boob Armor is the thread that links all RPG universes. The stupid fan service version of the Dark Tower, if you will.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    So....

Boob Armor is universal?

My god. Boob Armor is the thread that links all RPG universes. The stupid fan service version of the Dark Tower, if you will.

Hey, boobies are very deserving of only the most quality of protective devices. It'd be a shame if there was a sudden rash of perfectly fine breasts being ruined.

To address the current thread title: Bing may not be all that great, but if you're at a workplace that has internet filtering, Bing's cached page viewer can be used to completely bypass the filter. As such, Bing currently has a special place in my heart for when I'm at work.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Bing, find Boob Armour

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote:
    Hey, boobies are very deserving of only the most quality of protective devices. It'd be a shame if there was a sudden rash of perfectly fine breasts being ruined.

No no no, the saying is "there's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world. T'would be a pity to damage yours."

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Because I hate myself, I watched the latest Pachter thing, and when talking about next gen, he mentions that he doesn't see new consoles from microsoft or sony until at least 2013, which I think is totally reasonable!

......and then he says the WiiU doesn't count as a new console, because it is the Wii HD.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Is anyone else reminded me of all the jokes people use to make of what kind of self induced punishment Red Sonia would be causing herself by wearing a chain mail bikini.

Also it's sad but I could see "boob armor" becoming the next horse armor in video games.

If people pay for stupid horse armor you know they'd pay out the wazoo for boob armor. Maybe they can make a video game around it.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    CygnusZ wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    Here's an idea Sony

Do you actually play on PSN? The entire experience is much more consumer friendly than Live.

How, exactly?

I'm not saying this to be snarky--last I played PSN, I would say that it was far less consumer friendly (unless, I guess, not having a subscription free is more consumer friendly). There was no voice chat outside of games, no party system, no standardized online interface between games, no universal way to join someone in a game/invite a player from the outside, etc. Really, the lack of a party system, and the voice chat options that come with it strike be as being a really serious disadvantage.

As all this stuff been added? I always expected that the invitation system would be, at least. I'll be the first to admit, it's been a while--the last time I played was before I had to reset my account thanks to the whole security fiasco. I guess less options and services could be interpretted as more consumer friendly, from a certain perspective.

EDIT: Then again, this is kind of a weird line of thought--even if PSN were a much more consumer-friendly experience (whatever that means), it probably doesn't have that much to do with confidence in the actual corporation concerning a repeat of specific security issues.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Consider the source of the statement.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    plufim wrote:
    Because I hate myself, I watched the latest Pachter thing, and when talking about next gen, he mentions that he doesn't see new consoles from microsoft or sony until at least 2013, which I think is totally reasonable!

......and then he says the WiiU doesn't count as a new console, because it is the Wii HD.
    Yeah, I watched that because I thought maybe he might say something interesting about regional box art differences, but he pretty much admits that he knows nothing about that. His two examples were FIFA, a game where it should be extraordinarily clear why it has different boxart in different regions, and Mass Effect 2, a game that has the same box art in all regions.

And then at the end, he claims that the Wii U isn't a new console.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Live's definite huge advantage is letting you voice talk with buddies when not playing the same game. Or when you want to only talk to each other and ignore the random people in a FPS or something. PSN is sadly limited to cross-game text chat only, or using something like Skype on your cell phone/computer next to you.
    PSN's advantage is being free to the consumer.

When you're playing the same game as your friends though the amount difference between the two is questionable.

Edit: There really is no denying that Live is the better online. The question is if the difference is big enough to justify the price for your main multiplayer system.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Dritz wrote:
    Battery tech doesn't exactly move all that fast. Without making the devices bigger I doubt they could eek that much more life out with a redesign. Even smartphones kinda suck if you play games on them.

And for the record their ain't nothing wrong with the 3DS circle pad. Though an argument could be made that there should have been two from the start.

Sadly this true. I did some straight gaming on my EVO while waiting for a flight and the battery life just tanks. Doesn't mean the perception isn't towards 3-5 hours being rather short. I've gotten used to it with the 3DS, but the crazy prices for proprietary memory is giving me pause. I'd have less an issue if they just went with SD cards. Or, you know, included one in the system pack-in. I slammed Nintendo for it before they announced they were including one, and I'll slam Sony for it as well.
    Lilnoobs wrote:

Even if you don't, what's the issue now? The opt-out has been brought to your attention. Banzai!

You wouldn't have even known about the change except for the same articles that told you about the opt-out. I don't read every TOS ever either, but I'm not surprised and outraged because we all know what kind of crazy shit companies get up to in the TOS. We routinely agree to TOSes that say we don't actually own the physical software we purchased.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    CygnusZ wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    Here's an idea Sony

Last I checked, Live hasn't had a massive security breach. And I've played on neither. But Live interests me a lot more.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Nintendo: consumers do not and will not care about the 3DS. And the iPhone 5, which will likely come with improved components to help deliver even better gameplay to owners, will make that abundantly clear.

The 3DS is failing right now, more than any other reason, because of smartphones and tablets offering compelling gaming experiences. And when the iPhone 5 launches in the next several weeks, you can expect it to officially kill off the 3DS.

Sorry, Nintendo, but if smartphones and tablets already on store shelves are killing the 3DS, the iPhone 5 might just be enough to put the final nail in the device’s coffin.

http://www.slashgear.com/iphone-5-will-officially-kill-off-the-nintendo-3ds-17180647/?

Here we go... :rotate:

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Nothing like "DDDOOOOMMM!" to start your morning.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I hear the iPhone 5 cures cancer.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Im more excited to see how one device will OFFICIALLY kill another.

In an official capacity.

I LITERALLY hate writers who dont understand what words mean.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    How many 3DS does the iPhone5 cost?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Words have multiple meanings and he used it correctly in that instance. I mean I think the article is stupid too but it is clear what he means by it.

This discussion has been closed.