Options

Video Game Industry Thread: This is the old one, go to the new one

• Options
    MgsleeMgslee United StatesRegistered User regular
    I dont know about everyone else, but I wouldn't play Mario on a iPad. If there was a dedicated stick / dPad or buttons for iOS I could certainly see a bigger reason to see Nintendo's down fall.

Has iOS taken away time from the 3DS for me? Absolutely. Since I kill plenty of time on my iPad / iPhone I feel less reason to buy new 3DS games. Cost isn't really an issue for me, its the form factor. One thing that mobile games absolutely kills the the portables is the fact you have everything on you at once. For my DS I had a memory card so I could have all my games on me at once (I still bought the games) and it was great. The eShop pales in comparison to iTunes due to cost and lack of selection. I'm curious to see how Vita handles things but I don't have high hopes given their memory storage solutions and costs based on PSN.

I own 5 games on my 3DS. 1 of which I technically haven't even played (Resident Evil Mercs) at all and bought near release. For the 3DS I play whats ever in the cart and if I'm not interested in that one title I barely touch it (Currently finishing up Zelda). I actually played my 3DS alot more when it was loaded with SSF4. The 3DS ambassador games games was a nice gesture but I feel on desire to play more.

On iOS I have a huge diversity of titles all of which I paid fairly little. PvZ, Anomoly, BattleHeart (So awesome), Sentinal, Ashphalt 6 and Field Runners are my go to games on the iPad and on iPhone I have Angrybirds, TinyWings, and Jetpack Joyride (again among others). There's also some other iPad games I've sunk many many hours in to (insert gameloft title, Deadspace and Infinity Blade) that I would call compelling and not just time wasters as well.

I know list warz is dumb but the mobile market is a strong force that is certainly taking a lot of time from other forms of entertainment. Its the current mover and shaker in the entertainment world and is most likely taking away time from the other gaming markets.

Lastly, if I got a vita, would I get Uncharted? Absolutely. However I'll likely be playing it in my house and grumble I'm not playing it on my TV. Sure I'll buy the exclusive portable games (like Mario 3Dland) but I'm not enjoying them as portable games and I think that's a big problem for Nintendo and Sony. Spending a good amount of money for a small screen home device or the rare airplane trip doesn't sound like a good investment even if the entertainment might be really good if that makes any sense.

Hit me up for SSF4 games! (Xbox Live mgslee)
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Its been pointed out GAF that the author of "iphone 5 will destroy 3DS" has been prophesizing doom for nintendo for some time now. Its a bit hard to take him seriously.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I honestly think there's room in the market for cell phone games and handheld games to coexist peacefully. This unnecessary war is pulling us apart!

• Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    Perhaps this says more about me but I've never considered that I mostly play handhelds at home as a negative. You know where at home you can play them? In bed and that is awesome.

Another nice thing about handhelds (least the ones in the past) is that they had a lot of cool 2D games. It seems like now if a game is in 2D it's a casual game and that sucks. The limitations on handhelds do still encourage unique experiences. I doubt we'd see a game looking like Default Bravery (for the 3DS) on a console.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote:
    I honestly think there's room in the market for cell phone games and handheld games to coexist peacefully. This unnecessary war is pulling us apart!

This post doesn't meet the necessary quota of doom. Take 50cc's of Pachter and call me in the morning.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    I've never considered my handheld games to really be portable games. I consider them games I can play while watching TV, laying down, or games I can just start and stop repeatedly while playing. The bulk of my gaming time in the last five years or so was definitely been on handhelds out of sheer convenience.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Yeah, to argue that the handheld market is disapearing entirely is ludicrous. It has certainly shrunk, but theres still a substantial audience.

The next pokemon game will still make more money than god.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I play a lot of them at the computer, looking at forums or watching Netflix or looking up guides online or chatting over IM.

Sitting down to a home console is just so exclusive. I have to go sit in a different room in front of a big TV, shutting everything else out, no multitasking. I guess I could fix that by putting a computer nearby but portables to me are freedom.

A tiny screen doesn't matter when it's right next to your face. I've had some really immersive experiences on portables, some of the best games I've played.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote:
    I don't know, dealing with console warriors are one thing, dealing with the cult of apple though, is a completely different thing. Especially in terms of "media" coverage

Honestly, they weren't a 'cult' or whatever until people like you started to get upset about it.

The Mac / IBM PC shit is probably the one faction war among nerds that stands out by a long shot as the most irritating. Of all the things to give a fuck about, people chose this.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    Spoit wrote:
    I don't know, dealing with console warriors are one thing, dealing with the cult of apple though, is a completely different thing. Especially in terms of "media" coverage

Honestly, they weren't a 'cult' or whatever until people like you started to get upset about it.

The Mac / IBM PC shit is probably the one faction war among nerds that stands out by a long shot as the most irritating. Of all the things to give a fuck about, people chose this.
    It only became really annoying when their advertising brought attention to, and legitimized it. While I'm sure there was always a dull roar of fanboyism between them before that, since there always is, it wasn't until that whole 'thing' became mainstream that anyone really paid attention to it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    When I had a two hour train commute I learned to really love the portable.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Spoit wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    Spoit wrote:

It only became really annoying when their advertising brought attention to, and legitimized it. While I'm sure there was always a dull roar of fanboyism between them before that, since there always is, it wasn't until that whole 'thing' became mainstream that anyone really paid attention to it.

That advertising is pretty much dead, though

I haven't seen an "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ad in a long time

Most of their ads now are "Here is an iPhone/iPad, look at all the things it can do."

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Well this just sucks.
    IGN.com wrote:
    Dead Space Developer Shut Down

The Melbourne, Australia branch of Dead Space developer Visceral Games has been closed.

A post on the Melbourne Chapter of the International Game Developers' Association's Twitter feed confirms the closure and sends "best wishes to the 21 devs now out of a job."

We've reached out to EA's Australian office but EA has no comment at this stage.

Two days ago an anonymous source from Visceral in Melbourne told Kotaku Australia that management had informed staff that the studio will be closing on Monday September 19.

According to the source Visceral Games had been working on a AAA game for Xbox 360 and PS3 for the last three years.

Visceral Games, formerly known as EA Redwood Shores, is located in Redwood Shores, California but has branch offices in Montreal, Canada and (until today) Melbourne, Australia. Visceral Melbourne was reportedly involved in producing Dead Space, The Godfather II and Dante's Inferno.

The collapse is the most recent in a spate of console developer closures in Australia, largely due to the strong Australian dollar.

Another good Aussie developer arm goes down the drain, can't be that many left now.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PrincepeachPrincepeach Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    Spoit wrote:

Most of their ads now are "Here is an iPhone/iPad, look at all the things it can do."

"If you don't have an iPhone, you don't have an iPhone" is thematically identical to those ads. It ain't over yet.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Spoit wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    Spoit wrote:

"If you don't have an iPhone, you don't have an iPhone" is thematically identical to those ads. It ain't over yet.

They're not doing it with their computers, which is nice.

....wait a second. Goddamn it.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    I like the ipad's aren't gigantic toys, they are revolutionary educational tools! commercials.

So do a ton of tech buyers for various schools, I imagine.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    I like the ipad's aren't gigantic toys, they are revolutionary educational tools! commercials.

Most of my friends going to med/pharmacy schools are required to have an iPad or iPhone

Required

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    I could see everyone having access to the same apps and everything being a convenience I guess, but damn!

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options

Most of my friends going to med/pharmacy schools are required to have an iPad or iPhone

Required

Not really that surprising. If I want to go on a professional course based in metallurgy (I'm a metallurgist by trade), then it's a requirement for me to have a PC with MS Office. Got Open Office? Tough, figure it out yourself.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    So hey, Netflix will start carrying video games with its new DVD-by-mail division (Qwikster) :
    One improvement we will make at launch is to add a video games upgrade option, similar to our upgrade option for Blu-ray, for those who want to rent Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360 games. Members have been asking for video games for many years, and now that DVD by mail has its own team, we are finally getting it done.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Al Baron wrote:
    So hey, Netflix will start carrying video games with its new DVD-by-mail division (Qwikster) :
    One improvement we will make at launch is to add a video games upgrade option, similar to our upgrade option for Blu-ray, for those who want to rent Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360 games. Members have been asking for video games for many years, and now that DVD by mail has its own team, we are finally getting it done.

Is that going to double the subscription rate, too?

• Options
    JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    Al Baron wrote:

The name-change thing is so crazy. Hey Reed Hastings, you missed April Fools' Day by many months ...

That said, the game rental stuff is going to be pretty useful. Of course it depends on how much it all costs. Also, sucks to be Gamefly right now.

Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    The biggest upset to me is that the sites will not communicate. Why would I want the DVD for something if I can stream it? Why would I want to log ratings on two different sites?

Hope the game service makes it worthwhile because Netflix is one of the few services I happily give my money to.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    JCRooks wrote:
    Al Baron wrote:

The name-change thing is so crazy. Hey Reed Hastings, you missed April Fools' Day by many months ...

That said, the game rental stuff is going to be pretty useful. Of course it depends on how much it all costs. Also, sucks to be Gamefly right now.

Depends if they can match Gamefly's "keep it" policy (keep it, get charged a fee, get sent the case and manual - tada you own the game!).

• Options
    edited September 2011
    You've also got Redbox for renting games now too.

I think it costs 2 dollars a day across all games which is a buck more than renting a movie.

Rehab on
  • Options
    Jesus, Blockbuster really is fucked.

• Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    We only have one blockbuster left here. This is down from 7 or 8 of them five years ago. The only reason I feel regret is that the one closest to me also contained a used game shop run by Blockbuster employees, that is sadly now gone.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Hmm...if video games are included in that one-dvd price I might actually switch my subscription back from streaming only.

That being said it would depend on if they let me keep the game indefinitely like they do with DVDs, since with my schedule I barely have time to play games like that and I don't like renting much in the first place.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Rehab wrote:

I think it costs 2 dollars a day across all games which is a buck more than renting a movie.

I have to say, this is pretty awesome

Not enough games I'm on the fence about come out for me to warrant a monthly subscription, but I've used Redbox for Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Dead Island, and Space Marine. Kept them for two or three nights a piece depending, and all told I only spent $14 or so and got a really good sampling of each, which is nice because that's still cheaper than it would have been to get them at GameStop in a few months on the cheap only to discover that I wasn't a fan

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Henroid wrote:

Especially considering that the standalone Blockbuster machines (Bluebox or whatever they are called) are apparently owned by another company. Aside from buying up movies and games at really cheap prices as yet another store closes, the only other possible reason to bring up Blockbuster for the past several years has been to simply ask whyyyyyyyyyyyy?

inquiring-minds.jpeg

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    harvest wrote:
    We only have one blockbuster left here. This is down from 7 or 8 of them five years ago. The only reason I feel regret is that the one closest to me also contained a used game shop run by Blockbuster employees, that is sadly now gone.

Up here in Canada, all our Blockbusters are now going too because the US division collapsed.

Of course, in Canada there really isn't a large scale Netflix-type alternative, which has left me wondering where the fuck I'm gonna rent movies from now.

• Options
    shryke wrote:
    harvest wrote:

Up here in Canada, all our Blockbusters are now going too because the US division collapsed.

Of course, in Canada there really isn't a large scale Netflix-type alternative, which has left me wondering where the fuck I'm gonna rent movies from now.

Ditto for Aus

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Rehab wrote:

I have to say, this is pretty awesome

Not enough games I'm on the fence about come out for me to warrant a monthly subscription, but I've used Redbox for Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Dead Island, and Space Marine. Kept them for two or three nights a piece depending, and all told I only spent $14 or so and got a really good sampling of each, which is nice because that's still cheaper than it would have been to get them at GameStop in a few months on the cheap only to discover that I wasn't a fan

Nicely done. Dead Island seems like a good candidate for a service like this because reviews and impressions are kind off all over the place. I haven't rented any games through Redbox myself yet but I think that I will do this with Sonic Colors eventually. One of the two Wii games I've been burned on was Secret of the Rings (the other was TMNT: Smash Up) which I didn't consider to be worth the $20 I paid for it and I got a crappy return for it from GameStop of course.

So yeah, Redbox for that and possibly the new Kirby game when that comes out if it shows up.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Yeah, Netflix's service is decent enough that it really makes a place like Blockbuster superfluous. Just a couple years ago, we had at least 3 each of Hollywood Video and Blockbuster; now they're all gone except for one Blockbuster which is trying to pass itself off as a mini Best Buy.

Of course, now the problem is that Netflix is going down the shitter because all that success is going right to all those greedy corporate heads. Replacing the DVD/Instant View plan with separate plans at about half the price was pretty ludicrous; now I pay even less to them because I'd rather have the Instant View than the DVDs, but the extreme lack of new titles on Instant View has me looking for alternatives. Having Redbox and Netflix just isn't enough; there really needs to be a Netflix competitor out there to force Netflix to shape up.

• Options
    Rehab wrote:
    Henroid wrote:

Especially considering that the standalone Blockbuster machines (Bluebox or whatever they are called) are apparently owned by another company.

... that's an actual thing?!

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah. That's my problem with Netflix. Streaming video is nice and all but they have had any noteworthy content updates in a while. For the most part I just end up watching obscure movies I've never heard about that look entertaining.

Which isn't bad, but having more options would be nice.

• Options
    I've gotta say, you guys should be careful. Something about a gift, a horse, and a mouth. Instant stream is still a pretty sweet deal. At least from where I sit, which is somewhere that can't fucking utilize it.

But NSP is right. Someone needs to step up to the plate and offer competition to Netflix, because a mentality of "we can do whatever the fuck we want" is gonna set in.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Oh, don't get me wrong. I think only having to pay 8 bucks a month for something like that is pretty cool.

That being said, instant streaming also shows you that the great majority of movies produced are steaming piles and trying to wade through a sea of trash to find a pearl is difficult at times.

That being said, it also has shown me I've watched a ridiculous amount of movies.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Netflix streaming is my "let's discover something new because I'm bored" service, and for $8 a month I think that's perfectly fine. If there's a new movie I'm excited about, chances are I saw it in theaters and want to buy it when it hits home video, and if I'm not excited about it, then I may just see it whenever it finally does hit Netflix...or if it never does, then well, I don't really care, I was mostly apathetic to it anyways.

Oh, oh, it's also my service for watching TV shows in better resolution than I have them, because while I can watch Arrested Development and 30 Rock on DVD, Netflix has them streaming in HD which is fantastic

UnbreakableVow on
This discussion has been closed.