Options

Sword of the Stars II: Broke. Post in new thread.

• Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    lets just say that the original SOTS was good, but it becomes something entirely more with its expansions.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    Good job Mecron. Way to indirectly reveal you don't have a content lock two days before release.

Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    Fiaryn wrote:
    Good job Mecron. Way to indirectly reveal you don't have a content lock two days before release.

Hmm?

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    MegaMek wrote:
    Fiaryn wrote:

Hmm?
    Mekron wrote:
    Interactive terrain was turning out to be confusing due to unclear boundaries and feedback, RTS'y in its effects on combat in the sense that it mooted too much of the players skils and just made it all a lil too gamey (quick zoom by the black hole and whip around!!! Really? Why? And why is this black hole even a battlefield? And why isn't it taking up the whole screen?), and in the end it just wasn't much fun in its current implementation. So we have backburnered it for the time being. It may make a comeback in an expansion someday where it gets the full attention it needs not to be hokey.

fluid government is definetly there Achievements...well the only issue there being how many we can add over time to keep you pushing the game

Indy's are in but to be very honest proving to be very dangerous right now in terms of game stability since they touch just about everything. I may have to make a hard decision over the next 24hours about their inclusion at release. May have to delay them till the first or second week update. Sorry but always try and be up front with you guys.

Some guy then asks the obvious question:
    wait ... you are less than 48 hours out from release and you don't have a content lock-down for the release candidate yet?

To which the wonderful reply is:
    Mekron wrote:
    wow satth that was an extremely unhelpful post.

Mekron may also be drinking pretty hard judging from the awful typing.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    TurielDTurielD Registered User regular
    Heh, not just me who finds Mecron to be... difficult to deal with? Great that he plays with the fan base and is accessible but goddamn if talking to him doesn't make me want to bash my head against a wall sometimes.

Ah well, so looking forward to tomorrow. I've put up an event in the SotS group for a release day game, honestly I don't even know what timezone Steam adheres to. Group admins feel free to edit it to whatever time works for the US players who I believe are the majority (I'm euro but I'll be staying up for this one hehe).

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    Mekron wrote:

lol or just not getting much sleep....

why do I get the feeling I just payed to be in a beta test?

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Content lock-down?

I feel like I should know what that means, and that I am dumb for not.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    TurielDTurielD Registered User regular
    Basically it's that they would stop trying to put stuff in right up to the last minute. There's a high chance of screwing something up due to hasty last-minute code additions, or just general issues popping up and there being no time to properly test for them because they're supposed to be uploading the 'finished' code to steam just about right now.

If you watched the Extra Credits episode on producers, this is pretty much a prime example of how things can get hairy if you don't have someone who's relatively neutral saying 'ok, it's time to stop now. It's time to ship'.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    TurielD wrote:
    Basically it's that they would stop trying to put stuff in right up to the last minute. There's a high chance of screwing something up due to hasty last-minute code additions, or just general issues popping up and there being no time to properly test for them because they're supposed to be uploading the 'finished' code to steam just about right now.

If you watched the Extra Credits episode on producers, this is pretty much a prime example of how things can get hairy if you don't have someone who's relatively neutral saying 'ok, it's time to stop now. It's time to ship'.

So basically a cut off time where they say "Ok all that extra stuff is going to be have to be DLC/expansion material, since we need the game to actually WORK" or something to that effect?

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    TurielD wrote:

So basically a cut off time where they say "Ok all that extra stuff is going to be have to be DLC/expansion material, since we need the game to actually WORK" or something to that effect?

That or patches. Basically, you develop it all until you get to a point where you feel it is good enough. You hav e accomplished the features you THINK you need. Now you spend weeks killing bugs based on priority. At a certain point, you feel the biggest bugs are dead, and you have a release candidate. You complete your testing process or period and then release it (provided there are no show-stoppers).
    That said, most smaller companies adapt this heavily, allowing themselves to fix bugs up until the last minute, by using version control or something to cover their ass.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm sure smaller companies are also under a fair amount of pressure from Steam (or whoever) to come up with and honor a release date.
    Not everyone can be Blizzard and just be like, "lol release today? six more months. deal with it."

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    kaorti wrote:
    Guys, I hate to be pedantic, but I'm pretty sure you're referring to the Scilicoids/The Swarm/Space bees.

The Locusts are a grand menace. You don't get trapped in with the locusts, the locusts come, strip a world bare, and leave.

That would explain why, during one of my games, there was this huge infestation of Locusts and, I swear to god, 1/3 of the galaxy was just dead (0 resources). It's funny how quickly warring civilizations can come together to destroy a greater threat.

This is what I love about SOTS, every game is different. Sometime the game is mundane and somewhat boring, and sometime the game is just epic as all fuck.

• Options
    Agent.NihilistAgent.Nihilist Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    MegaMek wrote:
    Fiaryn wrote:

Hmm?
    Mekron wrote:
    Interactive terrain was turning out to be confusing due to unclear boundaries and feedback, RTS'y in its effects on combat in the sense that it mooted too much of the players skils and just made it all a lil too gamey (quick zoom by the black hole and whip around!!! Really? Why? And why is this black hole even a battlefield? And why isn't it taking up the whole screen?), and in the end it just wasn't much fun in its current implementation. So we have backburnered it for the time being. It may make a comeback in an expansion someday where it gets the full attention it needs not to be hokey.

fluid government is definetly there Achievements...well the only issue there being how many we can add over time to keep you pushing the game

Indy's are in but to be very honest proving to be very dangerous right now in terms of game stability since they touch just about everything. I may have to make a hard decision over the next 24hours about their inclusion at release. May have to delay them till the first or second week update. Sorry but always try and be up front with you guys.

Some guy then asks the obvious question:
    wait ... you are less than 48 hours out from release and you don't have a content lock-down for the release candidate yet?

To which the wonderful reply is:
    Mekron wrote:

Before I go on a little rant here, please understand some perspective. This game has a digital release, with a retail box release coming roughly 2 weeks later. They do not need to release RTM a week before launch. They are also running an active beta, that the game was delayed specifically for so they didn't release the game without community testing. As he said himself in the rest of the quote that you didn't display
    Mecron wrote:

Locking something down doesn't magically make it perfect...and only a fool keeps something unviable in there just cause it is "past lockdown". An update can remove things as well as put them in ;)

rant
    So the CEO of a company tells his core audience(long term players, anyone caring enough about to game to participate in the company forums), in response to a questions on several features that hadn't been heavily discussed recently, that one feature is delayed to an expansion and the other is in but give them some stability problems; so it may be enabled in the first weeks updates. Now to me this shows transparency and a will to inform people of how things are and why they are that way. I value this, and apparently Mecron believes people appreciate this or he wouldn't be on the forums in the first place.

Do you want to just talk to PR people, do you want to not know anything substantial about the game? Do you want to have any influence on the expansions or the next edition of the game? Because right now we get to talk directly to nearly half the company, no PR, no spin BS, just straight communication. Sorry about the rant here, I'm just tired of people being disrespectful and then acting all hurt when the person doesn't back down in a corner and then tells you off.

/rant

I just don't get people, remember the Rule of Wheaton

Agent.Nihilist on
    <rintaro> Maybe "Coke" doesn't like postings about "Pepsi" on their website?
    <--- Is not Moe
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    "The tech forest of the old game has also borne new fruit. A number of nasty new conventional weapons are available, and a new theater of warfare has opened: the theater of the mind. "

suddenly stoked.
    very.

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    Sokpuppet wrote:
    "The tech forest of the old game has also borne new fruit. A number of nasty new conventional weapons are available, and a new theater of warfare has opened: the theater of the mind. "

suddenly stoked.
    very.

Yeah Psychic warfare is a tech tree that is going to be available now. Zuul-Liir Alliance and the Suul'ka horde will naturally likely have large boosts in that direction.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I'm just tired of people being disrespectful and then acting all hurt when the person doesn't back down in a corner and then tells you off.

Nothing disrespectful about asking the pertinent question when the lead CEO is talking about adding or removing game elements a day before the game is supposed to release, because that is highly troubling. Though par for course since the ongoing joke with paradox games is how you pay to be a beta tester. Couple that with the fact that beyond screenshots and months old developer walk throughs, we've seen absolutely zero press about the game, yeah, I'd ask the question too.

I'm not sure what he expected, perhaps an awed hush that he graced the forms with his divine presence? It's a valid question, and copping an attitude to dodge answering is childish.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote:
    I'm not sure what he expected, perhaps an awed hush that he graced the forms with his divine presence?
    I doubt that, since he practically lives on those forums.

On the one hand, the army of sycophants he attracts, along with his often obtuse attitude and... err, short fuse, can make the forums seem very insular and one sided.

On the other hand, he's often very honest and transparent about the workings of his company. And I'm pretty confident he knows what he's doing.

World's best janitor
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Z0re wrote:
    At least Solforce can't get node-screwed anymore in II. The maps have set node lines between solar systems and the systems are randomized game to game instead of the entire map. I'm guessing it'll also help cut down on the 'Human AI takes half an hour to take its turn' thing.

The worst thing in one was spawning with two lanes, both leading to locusts while there were six other stars just out of reach.

What? No more randomized star maps? This is a dissapointing disaster :( Please say there will be a 'fun and exciting random map' option as well as a 'boring map which is always the same and I will never play' option.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    tbloxham wrote:
    Z0re wrote:
    At least Solforce can't get node-screwed anymore in II. The maps have set node lines between solar systems and the systems are randomized game to game instead of the entire map. I'm guessing it'll also help cut down on the 'Human AI takes half an hour to take its turn' thing.

The worst thing in one was spawning with two lanes, both leading to locusts while there were six other stars just out of reach.

What? No more randomized star maps? This is a dissapointing disaster :( Please say there will be a 'fun and exciting random map' option as well as a 'boring map which is always the same and I will never play' option.

The stars/planets per system/resources per planet and all that are still randomized, they just have a number of maps with preset node lanes so humans don't get screwed.

Z0re on
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    tbloxham wrote:
    Z0re wrote:

The Star locations and terrian features(black holes, nebulas and such) are static. However the Star type, number and types of planets are randomized each game. Its unconfirmed if node lines get randomized each time, but i would expect that they do as its easier to do with static locations.

The star number slider was taken out, IMHO, due to many many people making games with too many stars for their playtype and getting frustrated. Devs had said prime as designed around having an average 10-20 stars per player.

Agent.Nihilist on
    <--- Is not Moe
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    You mean I'm not supposed to crank the star count as high as it can possibly go?

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    To be honest I thought 15-20 stars per player was plenty in SotS1, and that was with one planet per star. The macromanagement challenge of handling 20+ colonies was exhausting to me.

Vic on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Yeah, I tend to keep my colonies number low so I can concentrate forces easier.

• Options
    Demiurge wrote:
    So who is up for a release day epic bout of multiplayer? If you have to leave midgame we leave you to the AI. We WILL finish a game for once :p

I'd love to be a part of this, but I am not sure how possible it will be since you people will probably start the game at like 2 AM in the morning Saturday my time. Might pull an all-nighter though!

• Options
    AlanF5AlanF5 Registered User regular
    Who here has bought and read the Deacon's Tale e-book?
    I have. I liked it. :) I am a huge lore-junkie for the game though.

Of course, I have an ulterior motive. I want to read more of the stories in this 'verse. The author has made public the number of copies needed to make this a profitable venture at the surprisingly low number of 3500 sales in print format, 2500 sales in electronic formats. Well, profitable enough to write another novel, at least. She's even been kind enough to hint at what future novels might hold (it's Hivers).

Besides the usual distribution channels, you can get an .epub or .pdf version of the book direct from the publisher by sending a quick email to kthonia@gmail.com. The publisher REALLY likes the direct sales, so don't be shy about sidestepping the usual retail chain.

Was, uh... Was that too many links? I usually just lurk around here.
    >.>

• Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    so, i have heard nothing more about GAME. I get off work around 7pm est, people better be in the SOTS PA steam chat group. or something :P

stopgap on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    16 hours? but I want it noooooow ;_;

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    *sniff* 11 hours? But but but.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    I've been called in for extra work today, but it's fine because it means the wait for won't be completely unbearable because I can leave just before the game unlocks :D

DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    Game unlocks the moment I start work for the day, 10 hours! but then weekend comes ^.^

<--- Is not Moe
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    Oh man, just a few hours now. So excited! Can't wait to scour the galaxy with my bug men.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    going to install on my work laptop as my home desktop is xp... i only pray it sorta kinda runs

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    I just want to summon a Suul'Ka in my first playthrough.

• Options
    No preloading? :(

• Options
    Argh, the wait is killing me. Between this and BF3...there's no way I'm gonna pass this semester....:(.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Vic wrote:
    No preloading? :(

I'm sure that the release hour is when it finishes uploading to steam :)

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    The steam page says 5 hours to unlock now. I guess it got pushed back?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AstnsAstns Registered User regular
    Sonelan wrote:

Well this just will not do.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Astns wrote:
    Sonelan wrote:

Well this just will not do.

Have to admit I am pretty pissed. I don't like buying a game with the promise that it will unlock in less than an hour when they actually don't have a game to release.

And because of the time zones I get to wait to play it until tomorrow. Yay.

Vic on
  • Options
    AstnsAstns Registered User regular
    The SoTS2 twitter says it 'may' be pushed forward again.

Not sure what to make of that.

This discussion has been closed.