Options

In an absolutely stunning twist, there's going to be a GTAV

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Langly wrote:
    I have seen people talk about their reactions to seeing visceral violence in games, I guess I am just a perfect example of desensitization? That stuff never bothers me at all.

When a game gives me a moral choice, though, I have a hard time doing the evil option. I just feel mean.
    I'm the same way.

Game like Call of Modern whatevers I can literally murder thousands of people.

But give me a character in a Bioware game or something? I'm going to try to be a goodguy.

Hell, in RDR, my brother went evil and would tie people up for the train to hit them in armadillo, I could never do that even. Because it just seemed silly.

I guess it all has to do with how the violence or morality of things are framed, and how much characterization is involved.

• Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    I don't find anything wrong with GTA from a violence or immorality standpoint.

I do take issue with GTA4 being so fucking long and immersive that I never finished it, though.

• Options
    I never had a problem playing GTA though, hell sometimes I take a drive on the sidewalks like a madman...

But that's partly because of how over the top and silly they are on one hand, and on the other, the character are psychopaths, so it seems more... fitting.

• Options
    ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    GTA4 was hard to pick back up. I got around 3/4 through, put it down for a while to play other stuff, and when I came back I had forgotten what I was doing, who I was working with, and why. It didn't help that the mission I'd gotten stuck on was very hard, and I was rusty. So I never finished it.

• Options
    I never finished Saint Row 1.

I got pretty far but some of those missions get stupid hard.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    The citizens in GTA aren't characters, they're basically little dolls that walk around.

I really just meant like, in an rpg if you get a choice between "help this old man find his daughter" and "take the old man's money and make him watch you execute his daughter" I have a hard time doing the evil choice. When a game is set up for you to inflict violence, I don't have a problem with it.

Like that CoD level. I was just like oh ok brakka brakka brakka die airport.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote:
    Agree with Mysst

I do as well. Especially with his contrast to Red Dead Redemption which had much better flow to its story.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    Scudo wrote:
    GTA4 was hard to pick back up. I got around 3/4 through, put it down for a while to play other stuff, and when I came back I had forgotten what I was doing, who I was working with, and why. It didn't help that the mission I'd gotten stuck on was very hard, and I was rusty. So I never finished it.

I tried to come back during a driving mission. The driving physics are amazingly hard to get used to again.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Futore wrote:
    so any news on when that State of Emergency 2: Elevated Threat game is coming out?

man, I remember the demo of SoE being so amazing

there were like, what, fifty people on screen?

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Langly wrote:
    I have seen people talk about their reactions to seeing visceral violence in games, I guess I am just a perfect example of desensitization? That stuff never bothers me at all.

When a game gives me a moral choice, though, I have a hard time doing the evil option. I just feel mean.

I'm exactly the same way.

I'm the same way with the moral choices

For the violence, I can still see the grotesqueness of it, but still appreciate it. I understand why some people wouldn't want to see it (or want their children to see it) though

• Options
    ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    LTM wrote:
    Scudo wrote:

I tried to come back during a driving mission. The driving physics are amazingly hard to get used to again.

Honestly, the shooting wasn't any easier to come back to. Especially after you'd played some of the third person shooters that came out after.

• Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    Mysst wrote:
    Futore wrote:
    so any news on when that State of Emergency 2: Elevated Threat game is coming out?

man, I remember the demo of SoE being so amazing

there were like, what, fifty people on screen?

I played the game with my friend for a while one weekend. When we went to sleep, we found a good corner of the mall you're in and had the infinite minigun and just taped down the button. It was this perfect clothesline angle with no other access but through our stream of bullets. We woke up the next morning to be disappointed that it did not kill as many cops as we planned

ETqXK.png
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Uriel wrote:
    Langly wrote:

I'm the same way.

But give me a character in a Bioware game or something? I'm going to try to be a goodguy.

Hell, in RDR, my brother went evil and would tie people up for the train to hit them in armadillo, I could never do that even. Because it just seemed silly.

I guess it all has to do with how the violence or morality of things are framed, and how much characterization is involved.

yeah, this, completely

like, I've been trying to sum up why it feels 'okay' to kill people in some games (CoD, GTA), while in others I have trouble simply telling someone to fuck off (Mass Effect, Fable (to an extent))

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Rolo wrote:
    Blake T wrote:
    It would be cool if in GTA your parents were killed with by crime and you vow to protect the city and grow up to be a vigilante crime fighter.

gta parent murdering simulator

GTA: Batman Arkham City Is An Awesome Game

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    SA wrote:
    Gonna be set in Atlanta, yo. What city has a bigger hip hop culture than Atlanta.

They're going to call it Terminus City (Atlanta's original name) and its going to be rad as hell.

Plus, you get to work for Ted Turner/Michael Vick/Young Jeezy.

I don't hate this idea, actually. The geography of the city really would work for game progression (several, spaced-out hub "neighborhoods" making up Atlanta metro much like NYC's Burroughs). Plus you could mix in some rural, redneck areas outside the city, maybe up in the mountains of north GA. You have your Ted Turner types, an obsession with Coca-Cola, a visible gay community, interesting (though few in number) skyscrapers, super-Christians, everyone drives everywhere, southern accents, desperate clinging to the glory of hosting the Olympics 17 YEARS AGO, et cetera.

You'd need to take some major artistic license with the size of the city and distance to everything but I could see this actually working one day.

It probably never will but it's fun to think about.

I also want a Rockstar/Assassin's Creed game set in Boston and Philadelphia during the beginning of the American Revolution while we're on the subject of crafting games around cities.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    GTA: Boise

Five hours of real-time driving between each city to complete missions. At one point you'll be judge by how well you drive and navigate the homecoming float down mainstreet.

• Options
    lostprophetlostprophet Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote:
    Langly wrote:

I'm the same way.

yeah, this, completely

like, I've been trying to sum up why it feels 'okay' to kill people in some games (CoD, GTA), while in others I have trouble simply telling someone to fuck off (Mass Effect, Fable (to an extent))

Wouldn't that be the whole 1 murder is a tragedy, 1 million is a statistic thingy? Human psychology not being able to really process the deaths of a million faceless people compared to the death of 1 person you know and all that jive.

In GTA Vee (Woo!) news the rumor is that the game's going to be set in Hollywood because there is some Beverly Hills party boy character.

Steam: macg1991
    wotuserbar01.jpg: macg1991
    Check out the Penny Arcade World of Tanks thread to join us in some fun times.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Uriel wrote:
    Langly wrote:

I'm the same way.

yeah, this, completely

Watch the latest extra credits, they have a good explanation.

But basically the game strips people of their humanity and makes it basically like killing action figures or dolls. This isn't a negative thing, it's part of the sandbox feel of the game. FPS games are the same way. They use that sort of thing to hit the gameplay target that they want to hit.

One a game introduces moral choices though, with characters that you can at least recognize, it becomes more difficult to go against moral taboos.

Also, though, games have over the years have trained players to do the moral thing. You very often are more highly rewarded for moral choices, and that kind of thing sticks with you.

Langly on
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    GTA Chicago?

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I don't mind violence that's a little more cartoonish. I was a huge fan of Carmaggedon. I also think my tolerance has decreased with age.

RPGs I have NEVER been able to be evil in, even just to have fun. I felt horrible when I played as a renegade in ME1 to get all of the achievements.

I understand that other people can separate out the violence. I'm just unable to, for some reason.

• Options
    lostprophetlostprophet Registered User regular
    Langly wrote:
    Uriel wrote:
    Langly wrote:

I'm the same way.

yeah, this, completely

But basically the game strips people of their humanity and makes it basically like killing action figures or dolls. This isn't a negative thing, it's part of the sandbox feel of the game. FPS games are the same way. They use that sort of thing to hit the gameplay target that they want to hit.

One a game introduces moral choices though, with characters that you can at least recognize, it becomes more difficult to go against moral taboos.

Also, though, games have over the years have trained players to do the moral thing. You very often are more highly rewarded for moral choices, and that kind of thing sticks with you.

Not KotOR. That game had me murdering villages and making species extinct just so I could get 20 more credits to buy myself some shiny new armor

Steam: macg1991
    wotuserbar01.jpg: macg1991
    Check out the Penny Arcade World of Tanks thread to join us in some fun times.
  • Options
    SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    Janson wrote:
    I don't mind violence that's a little more cartoonish. I was a huge fan of Carmaggedon. I also think my tolerance has decreased with age.

RPGs I have NEVER been able to be evil in, even just to have fun. I felt horrible when I played as a renegade in ME1 to get all of the achievements.

I understand that other people can separate out the violence. I'm just unable to, for some reason.

You're not alone in that sentiment.

I can be dastardly evil in FPSs and things like GTA. But the moment its an RPG, I just can't help but be the nicest goody two shoes every to grace existence.

t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Grand Theft Auto: Amish Country

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Langly wrote:
    Uriel wrote:
    Langly wrote:

I'm the same way.

yeah, this, completely

Not KotOR. That game had me murdering villages and making species extinct just so I could get 20 more credits to buy myself some shiny new armor

yes, KotOR was very nice in that respect, at times.

Also, there was a really nice moment in Dragon Age 1 where you have a chance to set a demon free or to kill him. If you set him free, you get something cool, I forget what. If you kill him, you get nothing for your trouble, nothing at all. I loved it.

• Options
    The Geek wrote:

I would totally knock peoples barns down, and pee in their churns.

t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Silmaril wrote:
    Janson wrote:

I can be dastardly evil in FPSs and things like GTA. But the moment its an RPG, I just can't help but be the nicest goody two shoes every to grace existence.
    I think I'm actually nicer in RPGs than I am in real life.

I sure as hell wouldn't be dolling out gold coins to every beggar on the street in real life!

• Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    Silmaril wrote:
    Janson wrote:

I'm unfailingly nice to the weak and innocent but give me the opportunity to make a bad guy suffer and I'll take it, even if it involves pursuing a lengthy sidequest just to collapse his company and ruin his worthless life

I'm like an extra psychotic flavour of Batman

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    Janson wrote:
    Silmaril wrote:
    Janson wrote:

I think I'm actually nicer in RPGs than I am in real life.

I sure as hell wouldn't be dolling out gold coins to every beggar on the street in real life!

Oh god, I'm so glad I'm not alone.

t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    I see an RPG character as an extension of myself, basically. So, I find it super hard to be evil.

The one game I had no problem with this is Dark Souls, for some reason. Maybe it's because the story was so very much in the background, but eh.

My Shepard was always "Paragon Ends Through Renegade Means", and I stick by him.

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    That's why I like Arkham City so much. Sure I'm on a quest to stop Penguin, but if I see some asshole hassling some guy for no reason I will take time out of my busy day to kick the living shit out of you.

I get to be a violent bastard, but in a good way.

Hunter on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I am pretty schizophrenic in RPGs. I always start off good and super nice to everyone. But I inevitably snap at some point and just start murdering anyone who looks at me funny or does some arbitrary thing I've decided I don't like. Like talk about mudcrabs.

• Options
    I may be a good guy, but if you're some merc who happens to work in the building I need to infiltrate then I hope your family has a decent life insurance policy on you because I'm going to kill the hell out of you.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    GTA 4 was the only one I played to completion, though it took me forever to get into it, mostly because you have to suffer through doing jobs for your cousin in the first area before the rest of the city opens up

Still didn't come close to Red Dead Redemption

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I hope they make it sort of like San Andreas.
    I liked all the shit you could do with your guy. Also jetpacks.
    Maybe work in the Vice City property buying aspects. (could you do that in SA? I forget)

Is Saints Row 2 any good? I got it recently in a game multipack on steam and havent had the chance to play it yet.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I think when they were making GTAIV they had these ideas for character interaction to try and build relationships but along the way they forgot it was supposed to be fun and not a chore.

• Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    GTA: The New Scooby Doo Mysteries

• Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    Hunter wrote:
    I may be a good guy, but if you're some merc who happens to work in the building I need to infiltrate then I hope your family has a decent life insurance policy on you because I'm going to kill the hell out of you.

This is exactly what those assholes said to each other before mutilating Adam Jensen and gunning down his buddies

You're going to be hunted down by a gruff bastard with swords in his arms

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    The Geek wrote:

Too soon

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Man it was just the other day I mentioned to my boyfriend that I was surprised that a new Grand Theft Auto wasn't being worked on.

Maybe I have superpowers!

• Options
    Man it was just the other day I mentioned to my boyfriend that I was surprised that a new Grand Theft Auto wasn't being worked on.

Maybe I have superpowers!

The only surprise is that you didn't think one was being worked on.

t9migZb.jpg