As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Skyrim: Nothing is so cute I can't brutally murder it.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Oh shit, really? Is this only in Riften or what? I might have to start leaving Lydia at home and hire another merc, or marry someone who can chase off a thief.

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2011
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    For those playing on the 360, is the game glitchy at all? Hilarious glitches are fine, but gamebreaking ones make me sad I don't have a good PC

Been playing for a couple of days and only had some occasional minor glitches, usually with objects behaving oddly like sliding/tumbling down a slope much faster/further than they should. But no crashes and no quest glitches so far.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote:
    Can't believe I've played 20 hours of this.

Can't believe people have played more.

Usually I load up the game and get crippled by the simple breadth of possible things I can do.

Forty

two

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Artreus wrote:
    Uriel wrote:

Usually I load up the game and get crippled by the simple breadth of possible things I can do.

Forty

two

Jeeeeeez.

How do you not just load in and be like "Do I want to assassinate some people, or steal things, or get some more shouts, or or or or..."

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Also good lord people are whiny, entitled babies about this game. Anytime they reach a bug.

"I can't believe they spent 5 years working on the most widely anticipated, breathtaking game, and there are BUGS"

... there are bugs because the game is fucking huge, and in my experience it has not been unreasonably buggy in the least.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    The thing I like about pumping most of my levels into stamina is that fact that I can perform hit-and-run attacks on almost anything at will, assuming I'm in the open. I'm the marathon man!

Also, completely out of context:
    Janson wrote:
    but man somehow Mori is so fast

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Uriel wrote:
    Artreus wrote:
    Uriel wrote:

Forty

two

Jeeeeeez.

How do you not just load in and be like "Do I want to assassinate some people, or steal things, or get some more shouts, or or or or..."

I had goals. I wanted to work on my smithing. I kind of actually forgot I could do quests for money basically everywhere. I was buying my ore and crafting daggers. For a long time. I had a couple hundred by the end of it. And then I started enchanting them! And collecting the souls required. Occasionally taking a break to work on something else I thought was cool.

• Options
    For those that are finding the breadth of choices in what to do rather daunting, stop worrying about what the best way to go is and just pick something to do that seems fun. If it stops being fun, find something else to do. Don't be an obsessive min/maxer, especially on your first playthrough. Enjoy the world!

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    I have accomplished nothing irl since this came out.
    Werewolf stuff...is there any way to cancel out of the form? It's cool in small doses, but not being able to use my map or journal in it, what is that about? Getting 2 shot by the whatever her name the Skinner with the fire mace was not fun, I had to cheese it up and run in and get off one hit at a time to finally do it. I did love after I had killed a bunch of Silver Hand guys and Korlak told me that I had gone too far with vengeance, then immediately gives me a quest to kill some witches who cursed the Companions centuries ago.

Anyone else think companions are still just awkward as all get out in this game? God forbid I try to be a destruction mage and use anything that does area damage if my companion runs in. Half the time it either kills them or makes them hostile. If Bethesda is gonna keep forcing companion quests on us, why not make the companion mechanics not be awful? Also, I'm tired of equipping Lydia with new stuff, then zoning into somewhere else and seeing her back in the default stuff.

• Options
    I haven't been min maxing, I just have a hard time making decisions.

Which explains a lot about my life.

• Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote:
    Uriel wrote:
    So uh your house can get robbed

:O

Dang.

Wish I could just lock the door.

Oh whaaat

I hope I can hunt down the bastards what did it

If you have a housecarl it should deter robbers. But yeah, I went into my house in Whiterun, saw a homeless guy walking away from my chest, then I murdered him. Sure enough he had a bunch of my ingredients and clothes

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Stilts wrote:
    MrMonroe wrote:
    Fire Truck wrote:
    T4CT wrote:
    also I dunno how many people in this thread haven't actually purchased Skyrim yet but we're gonna give a copy of it away so when those contest details go up I guess I'll just put them here

sweet I like free stuff

Back off, Derek. I will stab you.

and I will stab you

the cycle continues

Just remember, T4CT, that I'm subscribed to your podcast. I love you.

Not like these stab-happy jerks.

The man does raise a good point

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    Artreus wrote:
    Also good lord people are whiny, entitled babies about this game. Anytime they reach a bug.

"I can't believe they spent 5 years working on the most widely anticipated, breathtaking game, and there are BUGS"

... there are bugs because the game is fucking huge, and in my experience it has not been unreasonably buggy in the least.

Well I mean I ran into bugs that completely halted the game.

Like a book required to advance sunk into the ground and was invisible, I only got lucky and found the very corner of it I could click so I didn't need to reload a save from 15 or so minutes ago.

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    Artreus wrote: »

Exactly. I remember in the old thread before it got locked, someone had posted a screenshot of some rocks with flat snow textures that they assumed was a graphical glitch. No, it's just that this is a pretty damn big game world and while most of it looks great, it's kind of inevitable that some spots won't look quite as polished. I've seen the same effect on the 360 in some areas and it didn't phase me at all.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    I actually kind of really like the flat snow, near like Ralbdthar and stuff. It looks sort of cell-shaded or something.

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    Zay wrote:
    Artreus wrote:

Well I mean I ran into bugs that completely halted the game.

Like a book required to advance sunk into the ground and was invisible, I only got lucky and found the very corner of it I could click so I didn't need to reload a save from 15 or so minutes ago.

I've had a few things go through walls/floors/etc, it's more annoying than anything, just gotta quicksave more. One of the guys that stands outside the Whiterun stables apparently fell halfway through the ground, just from his waist up is showing. So the game spawned another one of him right next to the one in the ground. I can interact fully with both.

• Options
    Once hit a guy so hard he feel through the cavern floor.

But he didn't have anything important on him.

• Options
    Protip: If you're over encumbered and near a dead skeleton, put your stuff in the bone, and carry the bone with you.

• Options
    I was so frustrated with archery at first when I would try to hunt wild animals because they always seemed to run away before I could get a good shot off. Now it's really satisfying to get a stealthed shot off on an elk and kill it in one hit so I can farm up crafting mats.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Protip: If you're over encumbered and near a dead skeleton, put your stuff in the bone, and carry the bone with you.

That. is. great.

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote:

That. is. great.

What.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    Uriel wrote:

That. is. great.

You can still do that in this game? I must be missing something, cause I can't drag things around like I could in Oblivion.

As far as body parts go though, I love getting random decapitations on enemies outside, particularly on mountains, and finding their heads miles away and still being able to loot them.

• Options
    The only thing I can loot from skeletons that's bone related is the bone meal, so I don't even get how that would work.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Blendtec wrote:
    Uriel wrote:

That. is. great.

You can still do that in this game? I must be missing something, cause I can't drag things around like I could in Oblivion.

As far as body parts go though, I love getting random decapitations on enemies outside, particularly on mountains, and finding their heads miles away and still being able to loot them.
    Hold the key to pick up stuff rather than tap it.

By default it is e.

• Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    T4CT wrote: »
    Stilts wrote:
    MrMonroe wrote:
    Fire Truck wrote:
    T4CT wrote:
    also I dunno how many people in this thread haven't actually purchased Skyrim yet but we're gonna give a copy of it away so when those contest details go up I guess I'll just put them here

sweet I like free stuff

Back off, Derek. I will stab you.

and I will stab you

the cycle continues

Just remember, T4CT, that I'm subscribed to your podcast. I love you.

Not like these stab-happy jerks.

The man does raise a good point

Is the point that THE BATTLEBRO CAST IS THE BEST PODCAST ABOUT SHIT I DON'T KNOW BECAUSE HONESTLY I HAVEN'T LISTENED TO IT? That the point?

• Options
    Druhim wrote:
    The only thing I can loot from skeletons that's bone related is the bone meal, so I don't even get how that would work.

Like, actually carry the bone around.

Hold A on the 360, I assume you hold whatever the loot key is on PC. Then you can pick up objects.

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    nateknatek unh unh Registered User regular
    legendary glass war axe, you are my new best friend
    cannot wait to enchant you

• Options
    Oh, ok. I was wondering how you manipulate objects on the 360.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    DuxDux A host to DarknessRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Man, are there even any two-handed artifacts other than Volendrung? Because man. Also, I'm kind of disappointed in Volendrung. It looks fucking sweet, but seems kind of.... weak compared to the daedric stuff you can smith.

Dux on
  • Options
    Druhim wrote:

1 Kill skelton
    2 stuff it's corpse with goodies
    3 Find one of it's bones laying on the floor
    4 drag bone around by holding e
    5 ???
    6 Profit

• Options
    edited November 2011
    I love picking pockets now. It is so fun.

I just found out the amount of skill increase is relative to the gold worth of the object you steal. Now I am flying up the levels taking all the golden necklaces.

Zay on
    sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Holy shit Farengar you sneaky bastard

I show up at Whiterun to use his Alchemy Station and there are three hired thugs in the room. I sneak a bit, peeking in their inventory. Then they see me and aggro, the entire court draws swords. Farengar joins in and blasts them to hell.

I check their corpses, and they had a contract for my life. The guy who paid them? Farengar Secret-Fire. All cause I nicked a soul gem.

He killed the men he hired to kill me because it would blow his scheme wide open.

(Yes I know it was just AI and luck but shut uppp)

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Okay I haven't verified this yet but apparently if you hold a torch up to an object before you start lockpicking, it makes it easier. Looks like it's mentioned in one of the in-game books, something along the lines of heat up a lock before picking it. No idea if a fire spell will also work.

• Options
    DuxDux A host to DarknessRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    That's really neat.

Dux on
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Okay I haven't verified this yet but apparently if you hold a torch up to an object before you start lockpicking, it makes it easier. Looks like it's mentioned in one of the in-game books, something along the lines of heat up a lock before picking it. No idea if a fire spell will also work.

That is really fucking cool if it's true.

• Options
    hahahaha, buying a level of training then stealing the money back is so much fun.

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    CrowbawtCrowbawt Member of the Midnight Crew Registered User regular
    Farengar hired thugs on me too

He's a little bitch

• Options
    I love hunting in this game. Sure, with heavy armor sometimes it can be a pain if I miss with the bow and I have to chase after a deer, but I also think it can be pretty cool sometimes.

• Options
    noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    About the end of the main quest:
    Once I go into the afterlife and smash that dragon in the face is the main quest line done?

• Options
    edited November 2011
    ahahahaha, I started the
    Hangover
    quest.

so good

Zay on
    sthbuf0g7b7y.png
This discussion has been closed.