As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Skyward: Mastersword Details Disclosed: KILL ALL DEMONS

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    never mind got it yaaaay

• Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    There ain't nothing more fun that rocking the fuck out of some smug crypt lord shithead. How's your tomb now, asshole? Can you hear me from there?

Even if you disarmed my enchanted weapons into oblivion, it was still totally worth it.

Edit: Skyrim, Skyward. Whatever. My comment stands.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    fuck that goddamn clown and his bullshit skydiving game

took like an hour to get the piece of heart out of him

• Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    Speed you are so far ahead of everybody who is playing this video game.

4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Campion wrote:

I'm only at the start of the fourth dungeon!

and also had basically nothing to do yesterday or today

one complaint I do have (post 3rd dungeon)
    The design for The Imprisoned is awful. The head is huge and monstrous and terrifying, and then its got little like, teddy bear feet, and you fight it by chopping at its toes. I mean come on! It kinda kills the mood of the fight and the scenes around it when everyone is shitting their pants over a monster that looks goofy as hell.

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    about midway through the first dungeon

this game is pretty damn good!

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    speed, the items have an upgrade system now, right? what's that like?

• Options
    Nerdgasmic wrote:

you know how in windwaker you could pick up spoils from monsters. Joy Pendants and Skull Necklaces and the like

that's back now, and you can either sell them for cash, or use them to buy upgrades for items

it's a neat idea but the game doesn't make all that much use of it. Shields can have their health increased but as soon as you unlock the Sacred Shield which heals itself over time that's worthless. It's used to increase how many bombs and seeds and arrows you can carry around but there's always plenty of them in the environment. It's a good idea but it isn't executed especially well. That Giant Bomb video pretty much hit the nail on the head: because Zelda is all about environmental puzzles that you use your gadgets to solve, the game has to make sure you have access to the right tools to solve a given puzzle, so the best an upgrade system can do is make things slightly more convenient, rather than unlock entirely new skills and abilities.

• Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    Okay so I've only made it past the first dungeon, but the sword controls are not entirely "clicking" just yet. It's not that the control system is inadequate, just that I am having a hard time getting through defensive enemies. In particular, it seems really hard to "fake out" enemies, ie lead the sword one direction and attack from the opposite direction so they can't block correctly. If I don't swing it seems like they just track your movements indefinitely, making it overly difficult to land a clean hit.
    I had to beat the first boss by counterattacking him, basically, and waiting for him to block in a silly way (like over his head) and then hitting him, or waiting till he did his charge and countering with a spin attack. Basically in Street Fighter terms I had to lame him out. Is there an aggressive strategy that works on enemies like this? I tried just swirling my wiimote around until he got "stuck" blocking a certain way but that didn't seem to work past the first phase, and it doesn't seem to work on other enemies.

Surprisingly guys like the Stalfos are really easy to deal with since you just have to react to wherever their openings are, but the ones that actively play defense are stumping me.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    the first boss actively reads your controller movements to block you. In the first phase, if you hold your controller in one spot for a few moments, he'll keep his hand there and you're free to attack him from a different angle.

In the second phase, I tried playing defensively at first and got my ass handed to me. It turns out he's easier to press the advantage on than he seems. When he charges you, if you stand your ground you can get a hit in just before he swings his sword, and then wail on him. When he backs up to throw knives, you can either dash up to Jim and smack him around before he can throw them, or slash such that you deflect all the knives. They'll fly back at him and stun him for a quick moment so you can attack.

What other enemies have you been having trouble with?

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    Well I did end up counterattacking his charge attack and such, it just seems kind of irritating that enemies will follow your controller inputs. Like really, do I need to get fancy with the most basic enemies in the game? It seemed like even if I attacked from an angle where the bokoblins weren't blocking they still would auto block it. I solved the problem by just swinging wildly in whatever direction they don't seem to be blocking which seems to always work against them after a couple of blocks.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    AFAIK the first boss is the only one that tracks your current inputs. He talks like he's a master swordsman so it seems pretty reasonable that he would be paying close attention to his opponent!

Other enemies either block randomly or they might look at which slashes youve used recently and try to predict your attacks based on that. It seems like they auto-block you if you stick to one or two types of slashes, but it's possible that I'm imagining things.

Also if it wasn't obvious bokoblins and stalfos will always block thrusts and jump attacks if they know that you're there.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    If
    the whip
    is not the most fun item ever then I don't know what is

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    man

I lost the first boss fight and it dumped me right back at the start of the dungeon with all the enemies respawned

Did you forget to save or something?

I lost to him twice and it dropped me off right outside his door.

• Options
    You respawn at the last bird statue you used

Enemies respawn regardless

• Options
    Are you sure? The Bokoblin did not.

• Options
    That might have been a special case because otherwise you'd get jumped as soon as you spawned

• Options
    Nerdgasmic wrote:

you know how in windwaker you could pick up spoils from monsters. Joy Pendants and Skull Necklaces and the like

that's back now, and you can either sell them for cash, or use them to buy upgrades for items

it's a neat idea but the game doesn't make all that much use of it. Shields can have their health increased but as soon as you unlock the Sacred Shield which heals itself over time that's worthless. It's used to increase how many bombs and seeds and arrows you can carry around but there's always plenty of them in the environment. It's a good idea but it isn't executed especially well. That Giant Bomb video pretty much hit the nail on the head: because Zelda is all about environmental puzzles that you use your gadgets to solve, the game has to make sure you have access to the right tools to solve a given puzzle, so the best an upgrade system can do is make things slightly more convenient, rather than unlock entirely new skills and abilities.
    dang, that's a shame. I was looking forward to that.

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    i broked my shield and then an octorok killed me while i was trying to hit him with my slingshot and also z-targeting doesn't help with that anymore apparently

does this game track deaths

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    I'm also not that wild about the sky stuff

I get why they decided to do away with a Hyrule Field type area. The field in Twilight Princess was way too big and there wasn't anything interesting to do in it. A lot of people also didn't like the sailing around in Wind Waker. So it makes sense that they'd decide to do away with that and structure the game kind of like a mario game where you move around a hub to different areas.

But I don't think the sky is much of an improvement. First of all, it's ugly. The game looks gorgeous overall but the fog and clouds just look bad. I'm not entirely sure why that is but it just doesn't click with me. Secondly it makes things feel a little disjointed. I feel like these are three completely separate areas that have nothing to do with one another, rather than different regions of the same land. Unless you can fly or tunnel or are a plot-relevant character it's literally impossible to leave any of the areas.

I think it would have been better if the game had a small Hyrule Field in between the three areas, with Skyloft in its center. You could even still have the whole city above the clouds thing still: put the Sealed Grounds directly beneath Skyloft, and have there be a warp point there that you can use to shoot up into the sky. Hell even include the skydiving or bird riding if you'd like, as a kind of fast-travel system. Having there be nothing that connects the three regions though just doesn't feel correct to me at all.

Gameplay-wise it's head and shoulders above every other Zelda other than MAYBE MM. The dungeons are terrifically designed, the areas outside the temples are basically open-air dungeons which is what people have been asking for forever, and the swordplay is so, so fun. But there are a lot of nitpicks about it that I think are gonna keep it from being my favorite Zelda, unless the second half is gonna totally blow me away.

• Options
    I wouldn't say the sky is ugly at all.

And much like the sea in Wind Waker, the music and "feel" puts it head-and-shoulders above any "field" we've had in the past.

I'm not a big fan of horses or farms in general, so settings like the Great Sea really appeal to me, even though no one else seems to agree.

• Options
    I liked the great sea

• Options
    edited November 2011
    I was a big fan of the great sea too, I just know that it's unpopular

I don't know what it is about the sky that just totally rubs me the wrong way

something about it just makes me look at it and go bleh

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    the thing about people who didn't like the sailing around in wind waker is that they are dumb and their input should not be considered

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    sligmastasligmasta Registered User regular
    Worst part about this game:
    Impa, the cock block of time.

• Options
    I like the sky, but it's so easy to go from point A-B that I don't really feel like I need to stay in the sky for any longer than a minute.

4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    man the fourth dungeon is totally stumping me, can't make a lick of headway!

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    In the second area:
    I'm in the Eldin Volcano area and I think I'm near the end. There is a big hill and a guy throwing rocks at me. I can avoid the rock, but if I try to climb up he kicks me back down. The ledge to the left is too high for me to grab. What do I do?

• Options
    Try shooting him with the slingshot when he raises a boulder over his head.

• Options
    so does this game use the sensor bar at all

because my cat just knocked it down and it does not seem to have inhibited my ability to aim at all

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    How would it not use the sensor bar

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Does the Motion Plus replace the bar because that is bonkers

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote:
    Does the Motion Plus replace the bar because that is bonkers

it does.
    It took me a while to realize this, it was hard to get out of the Twilight Princess mindset regarding that one.
    But once you realize that the bar is irrelevant and your controller really represents what you're using - bam, it's awesome

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Yeah, it's completely independent of the sensor bar, and it is completely awesome. You saw in the video of the Williams, Robin & Zelda aiming the bow and I was like "They aren't even pointing it at the screen".

Well yeah, you can point it anywhere! Which is why it tells you to press the down button to center it every now and then.
    I usually play lying down, with my arms relaxed wherever and aiming is totally easy.

Cursor control on the remote is BETTER than using the Sensor Bar.

4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    you don't need that dumb bar anymore? that's amazing.

• Options
    Except for selecting the game from the wii start menu. Unless you plug in a classic controller and move the cursor over.

4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    You need the bar to calibrate but that's it.

Its pretty sweet.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I was a big fan of the great sea too, I just know that it's unpopular

I don't know what it is about the sky that just totally rubs me the wrong way

something about it just makes me look at it and go bleh

love me some great sea

I play that game once a year and when I pull out the sail for the first time, it gives me chills

every single year

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Campion wrote:

I'm only at the start of the fourth dungeon!

and also had basically nothing to do yesterday or today

one complaint I do have (post 3rd dungeon)
    The design for The Imprisoned is awful. The head is huge and monstrous and terrifying, and then its got little like, teddy bear feet, and you fight it by chopping at its toes. I mean come on! It kinda kills the mood of the fight and the scenes around it when everyone is shitting their pants over a monster that looks goofy as hell.
    the fact that it's covered in teeth is pretty terrifying, but yes, the toes are a little jarring. at the least they could have given them claws or something to make them look less dainty.

• Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    So I am playing this. Just got to dungeon 2. The music is great. I like the game a whole bunch, but I am bad at being precise with the sword. It still has that special "Zelda magic" though, and I haven't really been excited about playing a game for a good long time.

rqv6.png