As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Asura's Wrath - Makes people so ANGRY! (GAME\DEMO OUT NOW on 360\PS3)

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Oh

So its Heavy Rain on angel dust. I am ok with this.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Oh thank god. I was afraid it would be a brawler.

• Options
    BebopSamuraiBebopSamurai Registered User regular
    Beat the game last night, some non-spoilery thoughts.

Weighed purely on its own merits, AW does have alot of good things going for it. Solid (if very familiar) execution of classic shonen characters, large-scale, gonzo action scenes, great art direction, and even for someone like me (who's not normally into this sort of thing) it gets involving and makes you wanna see it through to the end. I kind of feel like on some level, this is less a 'game' in the traditional sense and more a prototype for a new way to make anime (reinforced by its... well, anime nods like mid-chapter bumpers, 'next episode' previews and credit rolls at the end of each of the three 'arcs'). Viewed from this perspective, I could see myself getting behind it. Hell, getting to actually play through the fight scenes of "Dragon Ball" while having access to an 'abort monologue' button? Who WOULDN'T want that?

Weighed as an action game in the post-Bayonetta landscape? Well, that's a different story.

For one thing, there's just not much of the combat, which is a shame because while it does quickly devolve into a very basic singular strategy, it's at least fast, functional and more often than not, enjoyable. It's no exaggeration to say that for you will MAYBE (if you're really bad) get a maximum of about 10 minutes of proper gameplay for the average 20-25 min. chapter. Other than getting a better rank, there is no reason to replay it unless you wanna watch the story again. If this had been released as a series of episodic DLC for a maximum of MAYBE 2$ apiece, and then compiled into a 30$ or so retail box, I think it could work better. As it stands, I really can't blame anyone who looks at the full price tag and goes, THE FUCK IS THIS.

That said, I can at least respect it for actually going the high road and avoiding trying to be 'high-art.' Quantic Dream has specialized in the cutscene-slash-QTE-heavy game for a while, and while "Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit" and "Heavy Rain" both had their enjoyable moments, they were overwhelmingly superficial, badly-written fluff which added insult to injury by hiding behind a shield of trying to elevate the tired 'games are art' argument. "Asura's Wrath," by contrast, does not have this existential crisis. It KNOWS its 'grindhouse fluff,' and is happy to be that. It sets out to make fun, memorable, mindless cutscenes, and does it well. It's just, well, not nearly as much of a game.

I really can't recommend this as a full-price purchase, but if you can rent it, or wait until it inevitably hits the bargain bin, I think anyone who grew up on a diet of 80's-90's shonen anime would really enjoy it.

Gamertag: DrinksYurMlkshk
    PSN ID: suzukaGongen
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    This Eurogamer review just utterly sold me on it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-23-asuras-wrath-review

I needed something fluffy to mark a gap between the lengthy and involved projects that are Skyrim and Arkham City so this seems to fit the bill perfectly.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Great review, thanks Bebop.

Quick question for you as I can't remember from the demo, but are there any QTEs that require the right analog stick? This seems like it could be way more fun with an arcade stick and pounding away on the buttons but none (that I know of) map a right stick to anything.

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    yeah there are some that involve the right analog.

I'm not quite finished with it but I'm really enjoying it. I agree that its probably not worth 60 but anything less than that and I recommend getting it

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Allforce wrote: »
    Great review, thanks Bebop.

Quick question for you as I can't remember from the demo, but are there any QTEs that require the right analog stick? This seems like it could be way more fun with an arcade stick and pounding away on the buttons but none (that I know of) map a right stick to anything.

I'm pretty sure there were, unfortunately.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    I'm almost tempted to pay 60 bucks and I never buy new games just to encourage this sort of insanity. These are the same developers who make those crazy Naruto games too right? I always wanted to get one of those but I can't remember which one is worth getting.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    if they had launched this at a budget price i would buy it, but as is i'll just wait for it to be $15 in a couple months.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Yeah, I can get behind what they're doing but I'm not paying 60 bucks for this.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Fuck it, I'm paying full price.

I will reward them for trying something different.

EDIT: Goddamn you capcom, why am I such a whore for you?

Viskod on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I saw this dude selling this on Amazon with the comic/art book for $5 less. Totally had to snag it.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Actually found time to play the demo. Now that is my kind of stupid! I had no clue what was going on in the action segments and don't give a flying fuck if the quicktime bits were 'faked' so my inputs didn't really matter. Playing along they certainly felt like they fit in well with the balls to wall insanity that was going on on screen. More of that please!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
  • Options
    Beat.

I loved it. I love this game. I use the term game loosely. I loved this experience. There we go, that's better. I haven't watched any anime in years, but this totally took me back. It was so fun. This game should get nothing but great reviews for what its trying to do. If you look at Asura's Wrath and go 'bad game' then I believe you've missed the point. I will admit I had my own hesitations, I kept thinking this looks like such a great idea for change, but only if there were more gamey-gamey-game-parts in it. If only Asura could learn different moves, or level up in some way, or have a more in depth combat or areas to run around in.

And then I realized I was just using the types of comfortable things I was used to to try to shove Asura's Wrath back into the typical video game box that it exists outside of and that is not its purpose.

Favorite scene in the game? Hard to pick but oh my fucking god.
    Sergei's confession and death.

Gave me chills. Absolute chills.

• Options
    kriegskriegs Registered User regular
    Only 3 more missions to S-rank and I'll be done with Hard mode.

I love this game but it pains me to know that it is going to flub in sales.

• Options
    It really is a shame. If the two DLC Episodes don't shed more light on the real ending to the game and give some closure, I'm going to be dying if there's no sequel.

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Viskod wrote: »
    Beat.

I loved it. I love this game. I use the term game loosely. I loved this experience. There we go, that's better. I haven't watched any anime in years, but this totally took me back. It was so fun. This game should get nothing but great reviews for what its trying to do. If you look at Asura's Wrath and go 'bad game' then I believe you've missed the point. I will admit I had my own hesitations, I kept thinking this looks like such a great idea for change, but only if there were more gamey-gamey-game-parts in it. If only Asura could learn different moves, or level up in some way, or have a more in depth combat or areas to run around in.

And then I realized I was just using the types of comfortable things I was used to to try to shove Asura's Wrath back into the typical video game box that it exists outside of and that is not its purpose.

Favorite scene in the game? Hard to pick but oh my fucking god.
    Sergei's confession and death.

Gave me chills. Absolute chills.

I was more a fan of right after that
    the fight with yasha and wrath-asura and all his dialogue. I actually think I liked yasha and augus more as characters before asura himself

I had so much fun with this game and I guess that's all I can really ask for

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    edited February 2012

I was more a fan of right after that
    the fight with yasha and wrath-asura and all his dialogue. I actually think I liked yasha and augus more as characters before asura himself

I had so much fun with this game and I guess that's all I can really ask for

Oh definitely.
    Yasha's chapters and gameplay are by far my favorite. I was really hoping you'd get more opportunities to tag in with him in the last chapter.

Viskod on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    If this launched at like $40 bucks I'd have day 1'ed it. As it is I'll wait for the price drop and pick it up at a more reasonable price. I just can't see paying a premium price point for what looks like a game with out extended play time. Maybe Gamefly will send it to me before then but we'll see what happens first.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    This is the best game I ever watched on youtube and felt fully satisfied for doing so. The gameplay doesn't look engaging at all and was by far the worst of what I was watching. When it was just all crazy and blowing things up and awesome melodramatic storytelling? Yeah, I was into that so much it wasn't funny. If they had charged much less for this game I might have considered buying it just for the sake of owning it - but sadly at full price it was never worth it. I kind of hope they do more in the end, but they're going to have to figure out where they can put some game into it.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    DLC starts coming out today.

You get Episode 11.5 Today which is a dubbed animation with quick time events, inside the animated episode itself.

EDIT: For those curious about what you're getting for you money, it seems Episode 11.5 is11 minutes long.

Episode 15.5 Which will be of the same design will follow on April 4th.

Episodes 19, 20, 21, and 22. Which are four more episodes of the actual game will be out later in April and pick up where the games 'true' ending left off and give it a conclusion. Later in April, the 27th I believe.

Then in May we get the Street Fighter DLC of Asura vs Ryu and Asura vs Akuma fights.

Viskod on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Just got this game today for $39 from eBay, and I wanted to inquire about the DLC episodes.

Are either of the two currently available (11.5 and 15.5) worth getting, not just for extra content but for also fleshing out the story? I'm wondering if I'm better off getting them now while playing through the game for the first time, or just put it off until they go on sale or some such?

I'm real tempted to get the traditional animated episode at least.

• Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    The ending released yesterday is just... awesome. There is no better descriptor for what just happened.

• Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    I must buy very soon. I want to see what happens. Such a cliffhanger. Maybe I'll get it tomorrow.

"You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    I don't think I've been more satisfied by any DLC I've bought than by the ending of Asura's Wrath. The post-credits sequence is just fucking amazing.

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    How many episodes are in the DLC epilogue thing?

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I'm off to a job interview. Instead of preparing, I watched the first major boss battle. I'll pick this up cheap, yet new off the interwebs if I get this jerb. The game looks like a blast even if it is short.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    I keep waiting for this to drop in price but I heard on the Giant Bombcast that Capcom literally didn't make that many and aren't making more so it's not likely to drop soon. Retailers like Amazon and NewEgg aren't just sitting on boxes and boxes of inventory of this game like they are with nearly every other release nowadays.

• Options
    Dang... I was waiting until this was ~$20, but if all that's true, I should jump on it now for 50 something instead of waiting and then they're all gone...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Hmm that makes me think, I too was waiting for it to bottom out in price. Well I guess next B2G1F sale I see I'll pick it up.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    If that's their little game plan, Youtube is free.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    It's 34.99 on GameFly now with "Keep It', but that's only if you can actually get a copy sent to you, you can't outright buy it in the store.

And fuck watching it on YouTube, I want to experience this insanity as loud and as huge as I can when I finally get my mitts on it. This is a game to demo for other people.

• Options
    So, good news. I just picked this up for $55 from Amazon, meaning it will now most likely go on sale or something in a week or so.

You're Welcome

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Thanks for taking one for the team, Skullnumbers!

Keeping this page bookmarked in case it DOES go on sale. It seems many of us have the same plan...

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    target has this for $30 at the moment. its been a couple days now, but they might still have it in stock for you. i picked it up, and im about a third of the way through. im feeling really fucking good about this game at that price point. also the street fighter dlc is damn awesome too.

• Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Nobody has it near me for less than $55. I'm hoping for a Gamefly sale, or a Games on Demand release for somewhere around $30. I will have this game eventually.

• Options
    nathanaelnathanael Registered User regular
    Wow. 5 pages in 5 months is all it took to sell me on this game. The fact that it's still $45 on Glyde doesn't hurt either. People aren't selling it cheap for a reason.

This my Gamertag— NathanaelPM
    This is my PSN ID— Radthanael
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    target has this for $30 at the moment. its been a couple days now, but they might still have it in stock for you. i picked it up, and im about a third of the way through. im feeling really fucking good about this game at that price point. also the street fighter dlc is damn awesome too.

Damn I missed that too, I never noticed it for 30 bucks, and when I tried to buy it from GoHastings for 30 bucks they sold out too quickly.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/