As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Greetings, Traveler! Welcome Back to Fyrestone!

Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of ForksRegistered User regular
edited February 2012 in Social Entropy++
Yep, it's time to head back for Pandora and do some Vault Hunting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCWJUSulnro
Set five years after the events of Borderlands, Handsome Jack, the game's main antagonist, has taken over the Hyperion corporation, has declared himself Dictator of Pandora and stolen all of the credit for finding the Vault, going so far to claim responsibility for killing the Destroyer. Jack has also blotted out much of the light on the planet by having a giant orbiting H-shaped base set in front of Pandora's stationary moon. The new team in Borderlands 2 is tasked with killing Jack and returning peace to Pandora. The original characters will make appearances in the sequel as NPCs, each with their own backstory. They will each give the player characters quests to complete, furthering the main storyline.

It's being written by Anthony Burch (the dude who writes/acts in Hey Ash, Whatcha Playin'), and apparently it's some pretty hot stuff!

What's that? You never played the original? Alright, well, I guess there's no harm in acquainting you with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai7pMPCDHpo
Borderlands is a science fiction first-person shooter game with RPG elements created by Gearbox Software for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Mac OS X... Borderlands features four-player 'drop-in, drop-out' cooperative online play in addition to a single-player mode, and two-player split screen co-op modes for consoles. Much of the gameplay consists of traditional first person shooter elements, combining a selection of weapons to use and a selection of enemies to battle.

In the distant future, in the year 5252, several colonization ships head to Pandora, a planet on the edge of the galaxy. The colonists are drawn there in search of a better life as well as vast mineral resources said to be on the planet, free for the taking, akin to a futuristic gold rush. Some time after settling, the colonists discover that there is little the planet offers aside from some decrepit alien ruins. When the companies mining the planet leave they let loose the criminals they had employed as forced labor and left any other colonists there. Some of the settlers seek to get rich quick by discovering alien technology. Most others are just trying to survive. After seven earth years, the planet's slow orbit brings a transition from winter to spring, and many horrifying creatures emerge from hibernation.

A beacon of hope for the remaining colonists emerges in the form of a mysterious alien Vault carved in the side of a mountain. This Vault is said to contain vast stores of alien technology and secrets. The only problem is that the people who discovered the Vault were completely wiped out by some sort of protective force. The only evidence of their discovery is a scattered radio transmission, proclaiming the Vault's majesty, but not its location.

The original game's still floating around out there and it's pretty good!

It's also still running online co-op, so maybe we could do some wasteland exploration?

Or just run around and shoot each other like a couple of fucksticks. Y'know, whatever you're up for.

[IMG][/img]
Romanian My Escutcheon on

• Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    Fuck yes

We need

MORE

GUNS

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    so fucking excited to get this game when other people actually play it

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Hopefully this time around, the co-op setup won't be a piece of shit!

The original was a really good game if you could get past that.

broken image link
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Yeah I had a lot of fun with the first one. Can't wait to use two guns or a sweet turret or a sword

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Fuck.

Yes.

• Options
    Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    hmmmm yep i will play this game

i will play the fuck outta this game

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    Salvador is rocking some

unfortunate

hair choices.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I'm playing Borderlands right now!

I've got a shotgun that shoots 2 rockets!

and the accuracy is pretty high as well, so it's basically just a rocket launcher that uses shotgun shells!

• Options
    TrueHereticXTrueHereticX We are the future Charles, not them. They no longer matter. Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Joypuke my face off?

I will play the fuck out of this game.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Last game fufilled my dream of a pet eagle who does elemental damage when he swoops. I'm liking the look of Zero, I am a sucker for stealthy characters.

And if they can build off of the last game and learn from their mstakes then I will love it forever.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    All I need to know is Borderlands 2 and I am on board

I played the fuck out of the first one

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I may have to boot the original up some time just so I can remember what cool weapons I got.

I remember a revolver and a sniper rifle with shock damage and a shotgun with a scope on it because why the fuck not?

I hope they have more elemental stuff, that was pretty rad.

• Options
    DuxDux A host to DarknessRegistered User regular
    Never played the first one, but this game looks pretty sweet.

Pretty sweet.

• Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    Serious wub wub in this trailer. I hope Jesper Kyd makes a return, too. Every game should have 96.5% more of that.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I liked the previous one, but I'm only getting this if the following 3 criteria are filled:

1) No Gamespy / GFWL (I forgot which one BL1 has, but it sucked hard either way)
    2) Much better quest integration. It was really bad how you needed to always host a game on the guy the least advanced.
    3) Make it so that adding an extra person doesn't make the game harder / more tedious. (More hp on enemies is a sucky scaling method, especially if it means you suddenly have constant ammo issues without a certain class) BL1 solo was about 10x as easy as BL1 with 4 people. So you hassle your way through problem #1 and problem #2 in order to get artificial difficulty.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    I hope they dont use gamespy again, that shit was terrible. Otherwise I am pretty stoked for this.

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Hmmmm, might edit the OP to be more Claptrap-esque later.

Assuming anybody's going to read the thing after page one.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    SO PSYCHED.

I like that so far only one guy is even remotely similar to an old character and his turret is cooler.

And Moxxi is an immortal. Calling it.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    This is only the first OP, surely. Go ahead and CL4-PTP it up!

I'm getting this game. No qualifications. I'm sure the team is smart enough to learn from the last game and make it better in ways I can't imagine.

Even if they don't. The first game has more than enough good will going for it that the sequel is already a day one purchase.

I'll probably even end up with the game on both Xbox and Steam again.

Man of the Waves on
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    i must have spent upward of 60 hours farming this piece of shit

a1AV9.png

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    I will look into this, but I did not really like the first game.

It was just kind of empty and boring, to me. It felt like a mmo without the mm part. The quests weren't engaging, and the story was really sparse.

• Options
    also had knoxx farmory runs down to an exact science

in, kill the big bad, glitch through the floor, pop the red lance chests, out in minutes

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    also had knoxx farmory runs down to an exact science

in, kill the big bad, glitch through the floor, pop the red lance chests, out in minutes

I always felt like I never had enough time

But then I never cared enough to figure out any of the glitches or bugs to get infinite time

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    if you kneel down and strafe left + right near the big red hall full of chests behind laser walls, you fall through the floor and the time limit never activates

• Options
    Langly wrote: »

It was just kind of empty and boring, to me. It felt like a mmo without the mm part. The quests weren't engaging, and the story was really sparse.

The DLC addressed this but they've apparently taken pains to make sure there's a story for the main game this time.

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular

see, I'm of the opinion that it's the massively multiplayer part that ruins most mmos

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    SanderJK wrote: »
    I liked the previous one, but I'm only getting this if the following 3 criteria are filled:

1) No Gamespy / GFWL (I forgot which one BL1 has, but it sucked hard either way)
    2) Much better quest integration. It was really bad how you needed to always host a game on the guy the least advanced.
    3) Make it so that adding an extra person doesn't make the game harder / more tedious. (More hp on enemies is a sucky scaling method, especially if it means you suddenly have constant ammo issues without a certain class) BL1 solo was about 10x as easy as BL1 with 4 people. So you hassle your way through problem #1 and problem #2 in order to get artificial difficulty.

Yes, these are all things I'd like them to fix/improve on

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Can't say it didn't make jumping into matches interesting, though.

"Man, I'm bored with this single player stuff, let's get on for some multi - who is this guy, and why is he 30 levels above me, what the shit?"

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote: »

see, I'm of the opinion that it's the massively multiplayer part that ruins most mmos

well I guess I should quantify what I'm even talking about.

In my mind, current MMOs (and here I will use WoW as the base example) have a very specific model that they are shooting for in terms of immersion, gameplay, and game mechanics. Most MMO's are attempting to engage a very large amount of people, and create a treadmill that players are going to want to engage daily, so that they keep playing. This usually means that player interaction and cooperation is the end goal and highest priority, followed by interesting or challenging game mechanics, and finally, actual narrative hooks in the game. There is usually little to no immersion in a MMO, because the veil between game mechanics and story never exists. There's no attempt to make you feel like you're in an actual world with a compelling story, because people are focused on other things anyway.

This is, again, a broad strokes kind of thing. The goal for MMOs is to engage large audiences to work together and overcome challenging game mechanics, which is what keeps them playing the game. The narrative and personal immersion aspect of the entertainment is a tertiary concern.

A single player game (and even small multiplayer games, since Borderlands' highlight was the co-op mode), suffer when this happens, in my opinion, because there's a much smaller incentive to get invested into the world, and there is little in the way of progressive co-operative obstacle clearing. And it means that if you want to play single player, the game just feels completely empty. The quests are thinly veiled MMO-esque treadmills, there are no characters to enjoy, etc.

And that's just how I felt about Borderlands. I realize that lots of people enjoyed it, I just couldn't get into the game past the first few areas.

But if they addressed that in this game, I would be very interested!

• Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular

A friend, in an explosion of generosity, bought me the first game but I had the exact same issues with it

It's very rare that a co-op game fails to interest me but Borderlands was that beast

Bring on the sequel, I guess

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    Druhim wrote: »

well I guess I should quantify what I'm even talking about.

In my mind, current MMOs (and here I will use WoW as the base example) have a very specific model that they are shooting for in terms of immersion, gameplay, and game mechanics. Most MMO's are attempting to engage a very large amount of people, and create a treadmill that players are going to want to engage daily, so that they keep playing. This usually means that player interaction and cooperation is the end goal and highest priority, followed by interesting or challenging game mechanics, and finally, actual narrative hooks in the game. There is usually little to no immersion in a MMO, because the veil between game mechanics and story never exists. There's no attempt to make you feel like you're in an actual world with a compelling story, because people are focused on other things anyway.

This is, again, a broad strokes kind of thing. The goal for MMOs is to engage large audiences to work together and overcome challenging game mechanics, which is what keeps them playing the game. The narrative and personal immersion aspect of the entertainment is a tertiary concern.

A single player game (and even small multiplayer games, since Borderlands' highlight was the co-op mode), suffer when this happens, in my opinion, because there's a much smaller incentive to get invested into the world, and there is little in the way of progressive co-operative obstacle clearing. And it means that if you want to play single player, the game just feels completely empty. The quests are thinly veiled MMO-esque treadmills, there are no characters to enjoy, etc.

And that's just how I felt about Borderlands. I realize that lots of people enjoyed it, I just couldn't get into the game past the first few areas.

But if they addressed that in this game, I would be very interested!

Oh I know, I'm just saying that every mmo I've ever played has that model of player interaction shattered frequently by the fact that there are always buttloads of complete fuckheads that you're playing in the same world with.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    i only ever played co-op with my cousin and it was pretty fun

we did all of the expansions except the claptrap one because it was fucking terrible

• Options
    That's because claptraps are only tolerable in small doses

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    I will play the shit out of this

When's the release date anyways?

ipsesignew.jpg
    Flickr - PSN ID - IamTetsuo - Steam
  • Options
    Beasteh wrote: »
    i only ever played co-op with my cousin and it was pretty fun

we did all of the expansions except the claptrap one because it was fucking terrible

Claptrap is fine if you ignore the stupid achievements. Its basically boss rush with some decent loot areas. And it has more knoxx.

"I see . . . a bright light . Oh damn that's the sun"

• Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    I never really got into borderlands

I mean i really really enjoyed what i played but some of it felt sorta half-assed, honestly. if they can fix the nagging sense of unfinishedness i felt in some places for this it would be perfect triple a supah good

reposig.jpg
  • Options
    IpseDixit wrote: »
    I will play the shit out of this

When's the release date anyways?

september

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Fix the online multiplayer.
    Better alien guns (optional)
    Make rockets more powerful. In BL1, they didn't have the feel of rockets, but rather larger shotgun shells. Counter the damage by making them more sparse

That's all I need.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    give it an actual ending this time

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Wubwubwubwubbbawubbawubba