As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I saw the Stars in my cereal this morning [SPACE](NSF ALIENS and 56K)

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »
    I've always assumed since the universe is an explosion in slow-motion? (relativity?) that dark energy was just a mystical term for solar currents or whatever permeates magnetism or reverse magnetism throughout the universe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stress-energy_tensor

I also assume I'm completely wrong about all of this.

Nope. Dark energy is basically saying that some parts of our models don't work, I'm not 100% up to date on the theories, but what I remember is that dark energy is a little more controversial and can be more simply explained in other ways, whereas dark matter is pretty good possibility.

I mean it's essentially just particles we can't detect, which wouldn't be a new or crazy idea really.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Weaver wrote: »

Speaking of supernovas this was a while ago but I wanted to be sure I understand what's going on here: So these lights are matter being ejected from a supernova that is running into the matter/gas/dust etc that was ejected earlier in the course of the supernova and igniting, right? Because that is fucking crazy.

This is something I'll talk about, but basically yeah, before a star dies it releases a lot of its envelope in fits and coughs. So this is the shock wave of energy from the SN moving out through the ISM and this material.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Darmak wrote: »
    Kadith wrote: »
    oh and I saw some cool supernovae stuff this morning so i'll write up a gushing post about some of the highlights later tonight

for those who are taking part of my non-accredited astrophysicist online degree program.

Yes, hurry up please, I want to knock out this degree in a couple of weeks and you're kind of slowing me down here.

Sorry, I got distracted by Sunspots, flux ropes, sun flares, and coronal mass ejections.

But I didn't feel like writing up a whole background of the E&M material to go along with it.

edit: triple post, i reclaim this thread from the tyranny of ignorance

Kadith on
    zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    ACSISACSIS Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I mean it's essentially just particles we can't detect, which wouldn't be a new or crazy idea really.
    To get the "old" model to work (the one before that quasar thing wich i always assumed but lacked any supporting evidece for - how? oh, just do a geometric mashup of all the force vectors of a galaxy) you need BOTH, Dark Energy and Dark Matter. Since we can't detect neither (and no, black holes and neutron stars are not sufficient mass-wise) i always had the impression there is a rather huge misconception somwhere. I always suspected observig quasars (galaxy cores in general) to be the key to the solution of the problem. Since a SMBH sucks mass to it it has a certain growth rate base don the medium around it. Some mass won't be directly sucked into it becaus it has too high velocity. So mass starts orbiting the SMBH. Both, SMBH growth and orbing mass growth is a continuing effect. Since mass attracts mass, the orbiting mass collapses into a ever-growing disk. Imagine a ever expanding sail wich accumulates matter of the cosmic medium. However, at a certain point the area where the accredition disk accumulates matter is much greater than the ever-collapsing SMBH (even if it has technically more gravity at start but doesn't cover enough area). This means two things: 1) a disk being formed wich causes centrifugal force and gravity force of the disk to be focused on a vey narrow plane encircling the SMBH accumuates matter faster than the SMBH itself after some time 2) at a certain point the matter of the disk, wich was cought in the gravity of the SMBH accumulates enough mass to reverse the gravitional vector, meaning it starts "pulling" on that plane on the SMBH with an exponentially increasing force.

conclusion: even if the matter in the SMBH is cought in a process of constant collapse, at some point the constantly increasing force vector pulling on it reverses the gravitational collapse, wich means the SMBH is literarily torn apart by its accredition disk if it accumulates enough matter in orbit around the SMBH - this takes a lot of energy and time but the development is undeniably predictable: the SMBH "flattens" along the equator of the accredition disk, thus "thinning" it effectively. It means suddenly there is an area (north and south pole, if you like) where the "thickness" (and such gravimetric forces) weakens. All of a sudden this incredible energy the SMBH accumulated by collapsing matter into infinity can push through the event horizont of the SMBH again. And it does so with great force (think a nuclear blast focused like a laser, and thats a big understatement) and spectacular results (the polar "beams" of quasars - always at a 45 angle from the disk, EM fields just don't cut it to explain this if you ask me).
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Speaking of supernovas this was a while ago but I wanted to be sure I understand what's going on here: So these lights are matter being ejected from a supernova that is running into the matter/gas/dust etc that was ejected earlier in the course of the supernova and igniting, right? Because that is fucking crazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96kgU6BtWWA

ACSIS on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I want to respond to you, Acsis, but you won't listen.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Kadith, acsis will constantly post insane crap no matter if you correct him or not. If you correct him, he accuses you of not being open minded or not being willing to converse with him because you're part of the science elite who is enslaved by all of that sweet sweet grant money.

So just a heads up.

Actually, does vanilla have an ignore feature?

• Options
    Kadith, acsis will constantly post insane crap no matter if you correct him or not. If you correct him, he accuses you of not being open minded or not being willing to converse with him because you're part of the science elite who is enslaved by all of that sweet sweet grant money.

So just a heads up.

Oh I know. And I'm totally part of the elite in my ivory tower, within miles of the VLA (renamed to something dumb now). But I'm way too lazy to get internships or real jobs to get that sweet sweet grant money.

I find his points hilarious, but if anyone who will listen wants to know about any of that stuff I promise I personally won't ridicule you and just give you the straight facts as I know them.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

So just a heads up.

No, tube decided that people can just ignore the posts of someone they don't like instead of building in an ignore function.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I was in the middle of mass producing neutrino FTL drives and harnessing dark energy to rule the cosmos, but ACSIS turned me from my wicked ways with his Carl Sagan impersonation.

Xehalus on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular

So just a heads up.

No, tube decided that people can just ignore the posts of someone they don't like instead of building in an ignore function.

And it's a good thing too

ignore function are a bad thing to my mind

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

So just a heads up.

And it's a good thing too

ignore function are a bad thing to my mind

it seemed to exist primarily so that people could sanctimoniously comment "oh, no, I don't know what she said because I have her on ignore"

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I believe his exact words were:
    Yeah that function is never coming back as long as I have breath in my lungs. Ignore functions are for pussies.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Tox wrote: »
    I believe his exact words were:
    Yeah that function is never coming back as long as I have breath in my lungs. Ignore functions are for Weavers.

:bz

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular

So just a heads up.

Oh I know. And I'm totally part of the elite in my ivory tower, within miles of the VLA (renamed to something dumb now). But I'm way too lazy to get internships or real jobs to get that sweet sweet grant money.

I find his points hilarious, but if anyone who will listen wants to know about any of that stuff I promise I personally won't ridicule you and just give you the straight facts as I know them.

This was a pretty good thread until you guys shit it all up with your smugness. Any chance we could have less of that? Thanks.

• Options
    And now the circle is complete

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Foolproof wrote: »

So just a heads up.

This was a pretty good thread until you guys shit it all up with your smugness. Any chance we could have less of that? Thanks.

sand will cover this place

sand will cover you

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    acsis foolproof circlejerk

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    I just don't know anymore, you guys

try to have a nice little cool stuff in space thread, Kadith posts something actually provocative

thread gets bombed by morons

we're all immediately more interested in verbally abusing them than in posting interesting things or asking relevant questions

just don't know

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
  • Options
    I'm exhausted from being so smug and also the Library's proxyserver to access research databases is being retarded so no big post tonight.

But here is a picture of Tycho's Remnant or SN 1572
    QwBBd.jpg

It's a false colour image built from observations in the x-ray.
    The blue outer part is the front of the shock wave moving out from event. The greener inner bit is where the material ejected by the star is mixing with the ISM.

It's some hot stuff let me tell you.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    how hot is it

is the answer
    very

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Should be in the range of a few mega Kelvin.

so yes

very

Kadith on
    zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    So for all these space photos that are false-color

What do those things actually look like?
    If I were actually floating in space looking at that thing what color would it be?

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

If I were actually floating in space looking at that thing what color would it be?

Basically, a bunch of extremely faint fuzzy brownish-grey junk.

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

For a lot things we can't actually see them in the optical range because of dust or just being too dim, so we can't be entirely sure.

But most things are actually gonna be a pretty boring yellowish tint.

Or having brightness compared to the Sun you'll never really be able to resolve it.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    It depends what it's made of, it'll still have color, just more browns and blacks and also most shit will be invisible

for example this is a common optical filter pic of the sombrero galaxy

opo0328a.jpg

YoSoyTheWalrus on
    tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    Well YoSoy, that's still a beautiful picture. I get what you're saying though, pictures of things like the horsehead nebula or crab nebula wouldn't be nearly as pretty in just the optical range.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    This 2.5mb image shows how hard it is to make such generalizations because of all the god damn dust that really only shows up in optical.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Kadith, I so wish I was qualified to intern at an observatory.

• Options
    Kadith, I so wish I was qualified to intern at an observatory.

You and me both.

I really need to get off my ass and start networking so it could actually become a real possibility.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Could ask my Astronomy teacher if they need bodies on Haleakala, if you like. Surfing and solar observations, what's better?

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    I'd rather spend half a year in the polar north/south.

I hate any ambient temp above 45F.

• Options
    Fair point, and you can get a pretty nasty sunburn that high up (last time I wear shorts up there). And then a week later after a big enough storm there's icicles hanging off everything at 45 degree angles.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    I learned long ago that sunburn is not tied to heat.

• Options
    Or even cloudless skies!

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Living under an Ozone hole, I find it eternally amusing to watch foreign tourists not understand that we measure burn time in minutes, not hours.

Going for a short walk to the corner shop? Better take your hat and sunscreen.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Fishman wrote: »
    Living under an Ozone hole, I find it eternally amusing to watch foreign tourists not understand that we measure burn time in minutes, not hours.

Going for a short walk to the corner shop? Better take your hat and sunscreen.

Meanwhile I have admitted to myself that the moment the PNW climate begins to mimic the southern US I will move right up to what may remain of the northern icecaps.

• Options
    Or even cloudless skies!

I don't know squat about UV radiation, but wouldn't good cloud cover take care of most of it?

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Skeith wrote: »
    Or even cloudless skies!

I don't know squat about UV radiation, but wouldn't good cloud cover take care of most of it?

Not at all.

• Options
    Good to know, if I go to the beach any time soon.

aTBDrQE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.