As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

the Dao of "games journalism"

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf2JRNW6ARk&feature=player_embedded#!

the VO for David Serif in DE:HR was on some radio show for some reason

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    General me3 spoilers and a tiny bit of the wire.

I'm fine with Sheperd dying, the mass effect 1-3 has been sheperd's story and it's over. His death is a bookend to the story. It's over, and so is he, sure he may have gone and lived happily ever after with whatever fan fiction you liked, but death is an acceptable end.

People who complain just prove my point. They don't want Sheperd to die. The writers have done their job. They have created an emotional connection between the player and Sheperd. And death, provides (an admittedly easy) emotional reaction.

A valid complaint could have been that his death wasn't cheap, and I suppose with the combination of the weakness of the ending it can be argued that it was cheap. But it was a sacrifice which makes sense for sheperd's character.

A good death doesn't need to be a sacrifice though, a good death needs to be reflective of the character's lifestyle. Omar's death is a good example for this. He lived very much on opportunistic violence for money, and that is how he died. He died suddenly by a kid who saw a chance. Conversely sheperd's life has been about making hard, long term choices for the greater good.

Ignoring the choices made at the crucible, Sheperd made a very clear sacrifice. He will activate the crucible and sacrifice his life so that others may live. Which has many parallels with the game where Sheperd asks many people to do the same.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Actually it's kind of hard to really nail down some of the themes and tones of the trilogy because those very things can be presented quite differently depending on how you play.

It's one of the inherent problems with the very ambitious nature of the story they set out to build.

I'm most concerned that this apparent (and well-publicized) "failure" will give other developers cold feet with this sort of epic narrative, and I think that would be a tremendous shame.

I don't know that many other developers are really cut out to even attempt something like the Mass Effect trilogy, regardless of the response to the ending. There are plenty of epic narratives rolling around in gaming, or attempts at an epic narrative, but most don't let players affect the story with their choices. And the ones they do tend to neuter those choices to the point where the effect is felt more from a gameplay perspective than a narrative perspective.

Certainly not the scale, but the notion of telling a multi-chaptered epic story isn't limited to fully-rendered 3D with multiplayer and all of the other features that ME was able to bring to bear. I'm nervous that nobody will touch the save-importing mechanic for a long time, and I think that's unfortunate.

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    Buttlord wrote: »
    3) "whaaaa whaaaaa i want a happy ending where
    shep lives
    because i'm a giant baby who can't handle anything that isn't sunshine and rainbows"

honestly, I seldom see this as a complaint

I see this as what people THINK complainers are complaining about, but I've not actually seen very many people actively complain about this

honestly, it's just that the ending doesn't make any fucking sense, and in a game where 99% of it is watertight in detail and writing and thought, for it to completely fall apart in basic logic in the last 1% is super, super bad

maybe if the rest of the game was less watertight with its detail, the ending may actually have been forgivable

but because the rest of the game is of such great quality and makes so much sense and forces you think weigh options and think critically (well, more critically than most other games encourage), the expectations on the ending were that it would be of equal quality on those counts, and it wasn't, because it falls apart with just a few basic questions

yeah i'm willing to accept this was a localized thing because i've really only seen it in one place

they were just particularly loud about it in that place

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Actually it's kind of hard to really nail down some of the themes and tones of the trilogy because those very things can be presented quite differently depending on how you play.

It's one of the inherent problems with the very ambitious nature of the story they set out to build.

I'm most concerned that this apparent (and well-publicized) "failure" will give other developers cold feet with this sort of epic narrative, and I think that would be a tremendous shame.

I don't know that many other developers are really cut out to even attempt something like the Mass Effect trilogy, regardless of the response to the ending. There are plenty of epic narratives rolling around in gaming, or attempts at an epic narrative, but most don't let players affect the story with their choices. And the ones they do tend to neuter those choices to the point where the effect is felt more from a gameplay perspective than a narrative perspective.

Certainly not the scale, but the notion of telling a multi-chaptered epic story isn't limited to fully-rendered 3D with multiplayer and all of the other features that ME was able to bring to bear. I'm nervous that nobody will touch the save-importing mechanic for a long time, and I think that's unfortunate.

Well, the only notable company that's doing it is Bioware and I don't think they're going to stop. I would like to see more of that happen in the future, though.

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »

I'm fine with Sheperd dying, the mass effect 1-3 has been sheperd's story and it's over. His death is a bookend to the story. It's over, and so is he, sure he may have gone and lived happily ever after with whatever fan fiction you liked, but death is an acceptable end.

People who complain just prove my point. They don't want Sheperd to die. The writers have done their job. They have created an emotional connection between the player and Sheperd. And death, provides (an admittedly easy) emotional reaction.

A valid complaint could have been that his death wasn't cheap, and I suppose with the combination of the weakness of the ending it can be argued that it was cheap. But it was a sacrifice which makes sense for sheperd's character.

A good death doesn't need to be a sacrifice though, a good death needs to be reflective of the character's lifestyle. Omar's death is a good example for this. He lived very much on opportunistic violence for money, and that is how he died. He died suddenly by a kid who saw a chance. Conversely sheperd's life has been about making hard, long term choices for the greater good.

Ignoring the choices made at the crucible, Sheperd made a very clear sacrifice. He will activate the crucible and sacrifice his life so that others may live. Which has many parallels with the game where Sheperd asks many people to do the same.

I think you've got a case for that being present in the narrative, but I don't know if it's presented well or accessible to the average player. If that's your ending, then it ought to be the culmination of themes that have been present through-out. That is to say, it really should be obvious to anybody, and it seems pretty clear that a lot of people feel that that isn't the case.

Although personally, based on your description of Shepard's life, I'd be inclined to agree with you. In those terms, the series seems a lot more consistent.

I gotta take issue with the notion that a writer's job is to trigger an emotional response, though. That's far too general a statement to be worth anything.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Failure of ME3 ending causes Bioware to shift focus entirely to Angry Birds-style handheld games

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Failure of ME3 ending causes Bioware to shift focus entirely to Angry Birds-style handheld games

I wish Blizzard would hurry up and jump on that band wagon.

It's like riding a horse made of money and simply watching a train made of money steam right past you.

Sure, you have a money horse, but money train.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    if blizzard doesn't include angry birds in a future world of warcraft expansion I will eat my own shorts

• Options

Well, the only notable company that's doing it is Bioware and I don't think they're going to stop. I would like to see more of that happen in the future, though.

I'm less confident with EA calling the shots

but then I get a bee in my bonnet whenever somebody says "lol Acti-Blizzard", so maybe I'm jumping to conclusions unfairly.

Time will tell!

• Options
    if blizzard doesn't include angry birds in a future world of warcraft expansion I will eat my own shorts

"Angry Arakkoa"

• Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular

"Angry Arakkoa"

They're just so furious about the Quilboar taking their eggs.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

I think you've got a case for that being present in the narrative, but I don't know if it's presented well or accessible to the average player. If that's your ending, then it ought to be the culmination of themes that have been present through-out. That is to say, it really should be obvious to anybody, and it seems pretty clear that a lot of people feel that that isn't the case.

Although personally, based on your description of Shepard's life, I'd be inclined to agree with you. In those terms, the series seems a lot more consistent.

I gotta take issue with the notion that a writer's job is to trigger an emotional response, though. That's far too general a statement to be worth anything.

In regards to your final paragraph I would ask what is the writer's job.

At it's simplest I would say it is to make the player/reader have a reaction. Be it simple emotions or questioning themes. As such it might be better to say triggering an emotional response is a writer's tool to further engage the player/viewer.

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Adam Sessler left G4

• Options
    the writer's job is to get me off

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    But if you are going to
    kill a character
    purely to get an emotional response from your audience (instead of, say adding a new wrinkle in the plot that the other characters will be forced to address), then what you are doing is akin to kicking someone in the groin.

Yes, you got an emotional response. But your method was lazy and unsophisticated, and you shouldn't expect your audience to take it well.

I think it works well enough in ME3, by the way. I'm just responding to the idea of an "emotional response" being the only criteria a writer should care about when doing something that drastic.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    And stills that is my point.

The base reason is to get an emotional response, but it needs to fit within the themes of the character.

• Options
    And stills that is my point.

The base reason is to get an emotional response, but it needs to fit within the themes of the character.

Your "people who complain just prove my point" threw me off.

Because no, they don't inherently do that.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Stilts wrote: »
    But if you are going to
    kill a character
    purely to get an emotional response from your audience (instead of, say adding a new wrinkle in the plot that the other characters will be forced to address), then what you are doing is akin to kicking someone in the groin.

Yes, you got an emotional response. But your method was lazy and unsophisticated, and you shouldn't expect your audience to take it well.

I think it works well enough in ME3, by the way. I'm just responding to the idea of an "emotional response" being the only criteria a writer should care about when doing something that drastic.

I agree, spoilers regarding character deaths in ME3
    Mordin's death had emotional resonance because in his last days he had turned his genius to correcting what he saw as a horrible mistake that he'd been complicit in years ago, and his last act is succeeding in that goal and finally putting his guilt to rest and being at peace as he dies (unless you were an asshole and shot him)

Thane is a man who, by his own admission, has done a lot of violent and horrible things which he previously has taken no responsibility for due to drell views on the body/soul dichotomy; in addition, due to Kepral's Syndrome he's been living under the shadow of his own death for a while now. Like Mordin, his last days are spent in healing, in this case strengthening the bond between himself and his previously neglected son as he waits for his peaceful end. While he still winds up dying violently, it's due to his efforts to protect a life for once, rather than to take it, and his last words are to wish that you too will find the peace that he has achieved

They were meaningful resolutions to those characters' story arcs and they made us feel happy that our friends had come to a fitting end

Rather than picking a guy and going, "let's box this guy up now"

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    But if you are going to
    kill a character

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Dragon's dogma, kinda janky, but is pretty interesting.

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    what is the dragon's dogma
    what do they think we ought to do

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    what is the dragon's dogma
    what do they think we ought to do

"horde loot"

• Options
    But if you are going to
    kill a character

I agree, spoilers regarding character deaths in ME3
    Mordin's death had emotional resonance because in his last days he had turned his genius to correcting what he saw as a horrible mistake that he'd been complicit in years ago, and his last act is succeeding in that goal and finally putting his guilt to rest and being at peace as he dies (unless you were an asshole and shot him)

Thane is a man who, by his own admission, has done a lot of violent and horrible things which he previously has taken no responsibility for due to drell views on the body/soul dichotomy; in addition, due to Kepral's Syndrome he's been living under the shadow of his own death for a while now. Like Mordin, his last days are spent in healing, in this case strengthening the bond between himself and his previously neglected son as he waits for his peaceful end. While he still winds up dying violently, it's due to his efforts to protect a life for once, rather than to take it, and his last words are to wish that you too will find the peace that he has achieved

They were meaningful resolutions to those characters' story arcs and they made us feel happy that our friends had come to a fitting end

Rather than picking a guy and going, "let's box this guy up now"

this is also how i feel about that other thing and part of why i think a happy ending is dumb as butts

i mean
    the last time you talk to everyone is reminiscing about the times you've had and the adventures you've gone on and saying shep's possible good-byes and the player's definite ones

nowhere left to go from there

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
  • Options
    "allow me to eat you"

• Options
    Quoth wrote: »
    Hoard

no, an army of loot.

• Options
    see I woulda figured it'd involve regular tithes of princesses

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options

that's a racial stereotype man, i expected better of you.

• Options

But only the hot ones.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    yeah, dichot, sometimes they want princes

• Options
    Melding wrote: »

With Dichotomy that's always your first mistake

• Options
    look just saiyan dragons like them some princesses

if the giant pile of treasure fits, wear it

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    you don't wear the treasure.

i

you don't know anything about dragons, do you?

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    What dragons do:

Kill things.

Eat them.

Secretly run Cash for Gold services.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options

With Dichotomy that's always your first mistake

my first reaction is to say "hey, that's not fair", but no, it is

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    What dragons do:

Kill things.

Eat them.

you're confusing dragons with the mafia again.

unless it's a dragon mafia.

then you're right.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    What dragons do:

Kill things.

Eat them.

you're confusing dragons with the mafia again.

unless it's a dragon mafia.

then you're right.

Dosh 4 Gold is secretly run by dragons. The truth is out there!

• Options

i

they're the sticky horse-things that drag you underwater, right

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options

i

they're the sticky horse-things that drag you underwater, right

I'm pretty sure those are mermen.

Or Beta Ray Bill in scuba gear.

This discussion has been closed.