As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2]New thread is up. Hope everyone enjoyed the April BWE! It was awesome!

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Did you get the E-mail about it? If you did, it tells you what time it starts.

Like, in bold and everything.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote: »
    Does anyone have the start time of the BWE?
    Preferably in GMT+2!

19:00/7 PM plus or minus two hours.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »
    Preferably in GMT+2!

19:00/7 PM plus or minus two hours.

thanks bro!

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    it starts at noon at GMT -7

so you know, you do the maths

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »

Viv, I could totally work an Asian joke in there somewhere but....

thanks anyway

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    MATHEMATICS

1+1 equals A WINDOW

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2012

That should be

uh

plus 7

carry the 42

um

21:00 CEST!

Echo on
  • Options
    to be fair I've never used the World Clock app on my iPhone more than I have in the last few days checking the BWE start time

• Options
    Kafka87Kafka87 Registered User regular
    to be fair I've never used the World Clock app on my iPhone more than I have in the last few days checking the BWE start time

I've just realised we're now on BST not GMT. That's another hour I have to wait.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    The BWE starts at 12pm US pacific time.

That's 8pm in London. If you're two hours ahead of London then it will be 10pm.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Enig wrote: »
    The name of a race is not a proper noun.

You took the time to point this out, so I guess I'll comment. Tolkien established quite consistently the usage for capitalization of fantasy races. It was most frequently capitalized referring to the group as a whole. For example: Frodo was a hobbit vs. Frodo comes from the folk known as Hobbits. Elves, if I recall, got the most capitalization. Really, the work is our best fantasy source and unfortunately it's littered with capitalization that forces careful examination.

So it's not like there is undue confusion or a simple grammatical oversight. The rules shift depending upon the etymology and context. There are real world examples, as well, but that discussion tends to open a can o' worms.

Hewn on
    Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    Finlay, you remain a helpful young man

I salute you

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Hewn wrote: »

You took the time to point this out, so I guess I'll comment. Tolkien established quite consistently the usage for capitalization of fantasy races. It was most frequently capitalized referring to the group as a whole. For example: Frodo was a hobbit vs. Frodo comes from the folk known as Hobbits. Elves, if I recall, got the most capitalization.

So it's not like there is undue confusion or a simple grammatical oversight. The rules shift depending upon the etymology and context. There are real world examples, as well, but that discussion tends to open a can o' worms.

Tolkien is overrated.

• Options
    For many a year I have wondered why Google won't let me do "12 pm PST in CEST" and similar.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    probably because you're asking someone to send you a private message about incest at noon

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    Psyduck.gif

• Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Do we get to keep any characters from the beta?

Was there ever a name reservation thingy in this game?

(Asking because I just tried to create a GW1 character, and like 10 names I tried to enter were taken already... including stuff I've never thought anyone else would use.)

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Thanks for having pity on the lazy. :)

But wait... that means that all the 10 names I tried will also be taken in GW2... fuck!

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    Can I reserve my Guild Wars 2 character name during a Guild Wars 2 Beta Event?

No. All characters will be wiped from servers before launch.

Can I reserve my Guild Wars 2 guild name during a Guild Wars 2 Beta Event?

No. You cannot reserve your Guild Wars 2 guild name during a Beta Event.

Can I use my original Guild Wars character name in a Guild Wars 2 Beta Event?

You can, but for the purposes of the Guild Wars 2 Beta Events, your original Guild Wars character names are not reserved. However, when Guild Wars 2 is released, your original Guild War character names will be reserved for you.

• Options
    reVerse wrote: »

You took the time to point this out, so I guess I'll comment. Tolkien established quite consistently the usage for capitalization of fantasy races. It was most frequently capitalized referring to the group as a whole. For example: Frodo was a hobbit vs. Frodo comes from the folk known as Hobbits. Elves, if I recall, got the most capitalization.

Tolkien is overrated.

Not really the angle I was approaching. I guess I find etymology interesting. And when somebody tells me races aren't considered proper nouns, my mind flooded with a dozen examples. I'm not disputing the usage in Guild Wars 2, merely saying why it's a difficult habit to break after 20 years of fantasy literature consumption.

• Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    I am sad.

I've been yelling at my ISP to connect my interwebs at my new apartment for the last 3 weeks. Got an email from them tonight "Your internet has been scheduled for installation... next Thursday."

Have fun guys!

• Options
    probably because you're asking someone to send you a private message about incest at noon

Oh wow, serious giggle. :lol:

• Options
    Wow, my thank you message appeared before Vivixenne's answer. Interesting.

• Options
    eobet wrote: »
    Wow, my thank you message appeared before Vivixenne's answer. Interesting.

congratulations, you are now clairvoyant

• Options
    Unfortunately, by his own admission, he's too lazy to check ahead of time anyway.

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »

Tolkien is overrated.

Not really the angle I was approaching. I guess I find etymology interesting. And when somebody tells me races aren't considered proper nouns, my mind flooded with a dozen examples. I'm not disputing the usage in Guild Wars 2, merely saying why it's a difficult habit to break after 20 years of fantasy literature consumption.

This is interesting to me! More convincing than a grammar argument too :P Regardless of the quality and appreciation of Tolkien's work he was a philologist who invented his own language so I'd definitely consider his point of view. I'll still not capitalize races and professions but Tolkien can do whatever the hell he likes.

In other news, TOMORROW IS FRIDAY.

• Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    So... them charr are look pretty nasty, eh? I'm thinking of playing an Asura myself.

To note, Asura won't be available in the first BWE, just Human, Norn and Charrmanders.

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I think we've officially run out of things to get excited about over for this game, because we are now arguing about grammar rules and capitalization.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    I think we've officially run out of things to get excited about over for this game, because we are now arguing about grammar rules and capitalization in the GW2 thread.

Nah we've done that before.

• Options
    Preferably in GMT+2!

I was under the impression 12 PM PDT. So, GMT-7? I think... Not sure that's official, though.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    I think we've officially run out of things to get excited about over for this game, because we are now arguing about grammar rules and capitalization.

Nah, it was about time. Every few pages the thread derails into a squabble about something entirely unrelated to GW2.

am0n on
  • Options
    steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    Why isn't it friday yet

Damnit Obama!

N0FartBonga and his Magical Time Machine strike again!

The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • Options
    DrCongoDrCongo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    So, that'll be 10 PM for us Finns then. Oh well... hopefully I'll get at least some 3-4 hours of gameplay in before sleep takes over :)

Been having some trouble making up my mind about what to try first, so I decided to use the most scientific of approaches: dice.

Thus, my first steps in the world of GW2 will be as a male human engineer. Can...not...wait...

• Options
    Just 1200 words to write by 8pm tomorrow.

Easy...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Kafka87 wrote: »

Easy...

Copy + Paste is your friend.

See? Already up to like 25 words.

• Options
    All work and no Guild Wars makes Kafka87 a dull internet person.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Easy...

1200? In my day, I used to write that 30 minutes before class. . .

Slackers today. . . Don't know the value of what it really means to be lazy.

Get off my lawn.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    I'm thinking all-nighter tonight. Then all-nighter tomorrow night to play. Then all-nighter on saturday night to play more. Then all-nighter sunday night to finish the work I obviously won't have finished.

Then Monday is for sleep.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    derangedhermitderangedhermit Madstrike PortugalRegistered User regular
    I'm thinking all-nighter tonight. Then all-nighter tomorrow night to play. Then all-nighter on saturday night to play more. Then all-nighter sunday night to finish the work I obviously won't have finished.

Then Monday is for sleep.

Ah, so you're the reason for the "You have been playing for 12287347 hours. You should take a break!" warnings in GW1!

Not that i've never seen one of those ... never! *whistle*

Battle.net: Madstrike#2175 , GuildWars2: Madstrike.1436
This discussion has been closed.