As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2]New thread is up. Hope everyone enjoyed the April BWE! It was awesome!

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    If the Sylvari are available this BWE I will probably roll one of them, too.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    Y'all are gonna wanna check out dem cities for real.

kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yeah, no Sylvari or Asura this go round. The new thing is Lion's Arch.

I'll check out your city!

Also, I swear the forums are adding posts all wibbly wobbly without regards for the timey wimey.

Qanamil on
  • Options
    steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    Asuran home city is still Rata Sum right? I wonder how much of the (very not citylike) GW1 Rata Sum will be findable, buried under their new giant cube pyramid.

Does make good sense that they'd relocate there - their main surface outpost grown to huge city in 250 years after being pushed to the surface, rather than some new settlement.

The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    Yes the Asuran home is Rata Sum. That is where the big cube-pyramid-city is located.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    Snake101stSnake101st Registered User regular
    So Im really excited for this game and want to be in the guild because I think PA is the best large group of gamers out there. Will it be a problem if Im super busy and not able to play all the time? Or maybe not able to talk in TS sometimes but still want to join up for pvp and/or pve? It'd be great to have a large community to play with and I'll try the best I can to play and be active.

Planning on trying a Norn Guardian and possibly a Norn/Asura/Charr Ranger.

Snakesig123.gif
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular

I specifically have avoided watching city videos because I wanted to see them for myself.

• Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    Snake101st wrote: »
    So Im really excited for this game and want to be in the guild because I think PA is the best large group of gamers out there. Will it be a problem if Im super busy and not able to play all the time? Or maybe not able to talk in TS sometimes but still want to join up for pvp and/or pve? It'd be great to have a large community to play with and I'll try the best I can to play and be active.

Planning on trying a Norn Guardian and possibly a Norn/Asura/Charr Ranger.

we don't give a shit about that, welcome aboard!

• Options
    TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    Ill be a Guardian, not sure of race.

• Options
    Snake101stSnake101st Registered User regular
    Sweet sounds good! I'm trying to get all my friends aboard the GW2 train. They're all about Diablo III right now, but GW2 is more appealing to me in the long term at this point.

Snakesig123.gif
  • Options
    steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Sweet sounds good! I'm trying to get all my friends aboard the GW2 train. They're all about Diablo III right now, but GW2 is more appealing to me in the long term at this point.

I know a few people excited for D3...and I frankly don't get why. D2 is *12 years old* and I don't think there's really any of the D2 devs working on D3 (or at least anyone important). Aside from the name there's not much to truly link them together, might as well be called something completely different. GW1 to GW2 though has basically most of the people that have worked on GW1 now on GW2.

Anyways....less than two days to go...wheee...

steejee on
    The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Funny you mention that, ArenaNet was founded by dudes who made Diablo 2.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    I like the idea of the super guild if communication can be managed.

And while I recognize the possibility of sub groups, there is advancement for the guilds based on the earned influence and such. We can beta test it during the beta test.

Betaception.

If it doesn't work as well or if it would be better to develop the guilds separately then we can do that later and see which we prefer.

Belonging to every guild isn't the goal, because you can't chat with everybody all the time and they will have different benefits.

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    SE++ is already going nuts with trying to name the guild

many want an homage to the WoW guild name (Shambler Milk)

I am lobbying very, very hard for something with the word "Yakkington" in it

If nobody else does it, the second I log in when the game goes live I am going to make the Kansas City Hotsteppers (KCHS). Keeping the memory alive!

• Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    I must say, I'm really excited that combat in this game isn't just a bunch of dice rolls.

mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »
    Funny you mention that, ArenaNet was founded by dudes who made Diablo 2.

Well, the dudes who made Battle.net, more accurately.

mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Would it be bad sport if my character was prejudiced against non-PA guilds that we ally with? I'm thinking of doing a minor Charr dislike, and I have not heard the best things about the goons or reddit. Though I think I don't like reddit because their forum structure gives me a headache.

• Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    eh.

Dude GW2 is all about hearts, no hate allowed.

Oh
    And blast you Thursday being in the way of Friday. Disappear already.

• Options
    InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    Anyone elses download going slow? I'm going at 150-200 kbs and trying to see if it's me or the server getting slammed.

• Options
    oluapoluap Registered User regular
    Inkyblots wrote: »
    Anyone elses download going slow? I'm going at 150-200 kbs and trying to see if it's me or the server getting slammed.
    It's not just you. I'm only getting 100 -110kb/s.

• Options
    InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    Good thing I have 2 more days!

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Why isn't it friday yet

Damnit Obama!

• Options
    MortifiedPenguinMortifiedPenguin Registered User regular
    Must make engineer. Shoot ALL the things!

• Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    Hey.

All you guys here who think races and professions are capitalized, they're not. The races are human, sylvari, norn, charr, and asura, not Human, Sylvari, Norn, Charr, and Asura. The same goes with the professions; warrior, mesmer, guardian, engineer, necromancer, thief, elementalist, ranger and not Warrior, Mesmer, etc.

http://www.arena.net/blog/lead-writer-bobby-stein-talks-gw2-house-of-style

Just because beta is on Friday doesn't mean that you're in the clear to ignore the style.

Remember: The next BWE is pushed back one day for every incorrectly capitalized race and profession in this thread.

FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    steejee wrote: »

I know a few people excited for D3...and I frankly don't get why. D2 is *12 years old* and I don't think there's really any of the D2 devs working on D3 (or at least anyone important). Aside from the name there's not much to truly link them together, might as well be called something completely different. GW1 to GW2 though has basically most of the people that have worked on GW1 now on GW2.

Anyways....less than two days to go...wheee...

Have you tried D3? It's D2 but better. Like ... dead on.

GW2 isn't exciting because it's got the GW1 guys working on it, it's exciting because it's awesome in it's own right. GW2 has almost nothing in common with GW1.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    REG Rysk wrote: »
    I like the idea of the super guild if communication can be managed.

And while I recognize the possibility of sub groups, there is advancement for the guilds based on the earned influence and such. We can beta test it during the beta test.

Betaception.

If it doesn't work as well or if it would be better to develop the guilds separately then we can do that later and see which we prefer.

Belonging to every guild isn't the goal, because you can't chat with everybody all the time and they will have different benefits.

Splitting up PA into so many guilds seems a good way to slow down the guilds progress into bonus stuff.

• Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    General note, I updated the theme files in the TS3 server. I added a black background style for the tree view as well for those playing in dark rooms and dont want a lot of white. The black style is PAGuildwars2B.ts3_style

I made some minor fixes to the regular style to remove highlighting where i didnt want it, and to force correct colors in the tree view.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Friday needs to get here, now.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    So I was getting hella worried, having not gotten my BWE email yet. But then I found a link to the installer. Just to be super sure though, I sent a tweet to the GW2 twitter... and got a reply back 2 minutes later. 2 minutes! I was shocked. But yeah, if you haven't gotten your confirmation email for the BWE, but have prepurchased and registered and whatnot, don't freak out! You should still be able to download the installer and play when the BWE starts. So that's cool.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    Caedere wrote: »
    Hey.

All you guys here who think races and professions are capitalized, they're not. The races are human, sylvari, norn, charr, and asura, not Human, Sylvari, Norn, Charr, and Asura. The same goes with the professions; warrior, mesmer, guardian, engineer, necromancer, thief, elementalist, ranger and not Warrior, Mesmer, etc.

Just because beta is on Friday doesn't mean that you're in the clear to ignore the style.

Remember: The next BWE is pushed back one day for every incorrectly capitalized race and profession in this thread.

It's going to take some serious training for me not to capitalize proper nouns, such as a race. A lifetime of work, undone!

Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    Bobby is one of the funniest guys ever. That blog post cracked me up.

kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    JacqivariusJacqivarius Registered User new member
    Brilliant. The issue that has been plaguing me was an easy fix. I'm finally able to pre-purchase the game! Beta weekend, here I come.

• Options
    florada34florada34 Registered User regular
    Finally decided on Norn Necro as my char. rawr.

LoL summoner name: Kamikazi34
    PS4: Kamikazi34Agny
  • Options
    AcidCatAcidCat Registered User regular
    Pumped to guild up with the PA folks finally for a AAA mmo! I haven't looked forward to a game this much in a long, long time.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Hewn wrote: »
    Hey.

It's going to take some serious training for me not to capitalize proper nouns, such as a race. A lifetime of work, undone!

The name of a race is not a proper noun.

As for professions, I always capitalize them, because I think it helps with sentence clarity. However, technically they are not proper nouns either, and I can see why ANet would make the aesthetic choice to leave them in lower case for in-game dialogue.

But overall grammar is really not critical as long as meaning is clear.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Enig wrote: »
    Hewn wrote: »
    Hey.

The name of a race is not a proper noun.

As for professions, I always capitalize them, because I think it helps with sentence clarity. However, technically they are not proper nouns either, and I can see why ANet would make the aesthetic choice to leave them in lower case for in-game dialogue.

But overall grammar is really not critical as long as meaning is clear.

I still completely and totally disagree about that. Grammar is what makes a meaning clear. Grammar forms the very rules from which meaning is derived.

To say that "grammar isn't critical as long as meaning is clear" is like saying "math doesn't matter as long as the numbers add up." It's a phrase that is contradictory and paradoxical.

EDIT: Also, capitalizing profession names only confuses when reading a sentence; nothing of clarity is added. If I say that I'm playing a necromancer, the "clarity" of what I said is just fine.

Hell, if you want to add "sentence clarity," then just pretend you're a comic book writer. That way you can decide to bold important sentence subjects at seeming random. =P

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    People often make approximations in mathematics without sacrificing the usefulness of the calculation. There's room for flexibility with grammar without loss of meaning. I used to be a bit grammar-nazi, but these days I actually don't like a rigid view of grammar rules. It is up to the intelligence of the people using language to ensure that meaning is preserved. With that caveat in mind, anything goes.

If we never deviated, then language wouldn't have evolved over time in the fascinating ways that it has, and continues to do.

But this is kind of topic so, uh, how about them charr...

Less than thirty-six hours until BWE

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    JacqivariusJacqivarius Registered User new member
    edited April 2012
    Well, going by my paltry knowledge of linguistics, there are two types of grammar: prescriptive and descriptive. I would assume that the majority of proper linguistics subscribe the the descriptive type, emphasizing the deep structure of the word or language itself rather than the preconceived notions of how it ought to be, which would be the prescriptive type. Grammar, of course, is important but it's not completely inflexible. When it comes down to style, grammar can be thrown out the window as long as the meaning is discernible. Modern English itself is a bastardization of old English and French.

So... them charr are look pretty nasty, eh? I'm thinking of playing an Asura myself.

Jacqivarius on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    there is a player list going in the SE++ version of the thread, for those interested: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/130535/guild-wars-2-beta-weekend-27-29-april-server-fort-aspenwood/p1

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Does anyone have the start time of the BWE?
    Preferably in GMT+2!

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
This discussion has been closed.