Options

[The Dark Knight Rises] IN 2 DAYS don't read the Ebert review

HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
edited July 2012 in Social Entropy++
VcQpg.jpg

It has been eight years since Batman vanished into the night, turning, in that instant, from hero to fugitive. Assuming the blame for the death of D.A. Harvey Dent, the Dark Knight sacrificed everything for what he and Commissioner Gordon both hoped was the greater good. For a time the lie worked, as criminal activity in Gotham City was crushed under the weight of the anti-crime Dent Act. But everything will change with the arrival of a cunning cat burglar with a mysterious agenda. Far more dangerous, however, is the emergence of Bane, a masked terrorist whose ruthless plans for Gotham drive Bruce out of his self-imposed exile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASQqjK47c04&feature=player_embedded&fb_source=message

Heisenberg on

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    This movie will be boss as hell and I am seeing it in IMAX

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i just rewatched TDK with my dad last night

i still really like that movie

but in retrospect the plot doesn't make a lick of fucking sense

• Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Anyone who doesn't see it in IMAX will not be permitted to talk about it or even say that they saw it.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    rises

to fall

to rise again

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular

It's not that it doesn't make sense per say, but most of the major plot points require coincidences so contrived and unbelievable it kinda takes you out of the movie in subsequent viewings.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    Larlar wrote: »
    Anyone who doesn't see it in IMAX will not be permitted to talk about it or even say that they saw it.

I will be doing exactly this

what are you going to do about it cactaur

• Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    This will the first movie I see in the theaters since The Hangover.

IMAX will probably be too expensive, though. Luckily, I work near a drive-in theater. Not only is it less expensive, but you also get a double feature.

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i'll be watching it at my two dollar theatre a month after it comes out

wakka wakka

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    wirehead26 wrote: »

It's not that it doesn't make sense per say, but most of the major plot points require coincidences so contrived and unbelievable it kinda takes you out of the movie in subsequent viewings.

yeah

i mean everyone always has perfect knowledge of what's going on and what everyone else is planning, and has prepared a perfect counterplan to it

except for when they don't, because they're currently the victim of someone else's perfect counterplan

It basically bets all its money on the hope that the characters and action and such will be compelling enough that you don't ask too many questions about what you're seeing

and in its defense, that totally works the first few times you see it

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    For those not prone to tl;dring, the Remedial Batmanology transcript-style reviews of every live action Batman film are pretty great (if you're wondering where the 1966 film is, they do it last). They also make a hilariously unique case for B&R being the best 90s-era film.

Larlar on
  • Options
    just looked and saw that a nearby theater is doing a marathon of all three movies

BB starts at 6:30, DKR at midnight

now I wish I hadn't just watched TDK

• Options
    AgentofOrangeAgentofOrange Registered User regular
    every time I see a trailer for this I feel like a ton more was spoiled for me

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    yeah, I've decided I'm not watching any more trailers or clips or anything from this until it comes out

• Options
    Seriously wrote: »

I will be doing exactly this

what are you going to do about it cactaur

Sneak up behind you and flick your ear.

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    how did you

my one fucking weakness

Seriously on
  • Options
    fuck

midnight showing in IMAX is already sold out

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    the only IMAX anywhere near me is a fake IMAX that I tried once for MI:4 and have resolved to never again waste money on

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012

i mean everyone always has perfect knowledge of what's going on and what everyone else is planning, and has prepared a perfect counterplan to it

except for when they don't, because they're currently the victim of someone else's perfect counterplan

Really? That only really seems to apply to the Joker, and I just figured it's cause he has a thousand potential directions for the plan to go.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular

Really? That only really seems to apply to the Joker, and I just figured it's cause he has a thousand potential directions for the plan to go.

Yeah, I kind of figured everybody was just trying to react to what the Joker was doing, or what they thought he was gonna do.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    My Dark Knight would be rising if I got to be next to Anne Hathaway in that suit too.

• Options
    edited June 2012

it's mostly the joker but other characters occasionally do it too
    like Jim Gordon faking his death, and then evidently his plan was to be Harvey's driver and catch the Joker?

But it's not like there's anything special about Jim Gordon in that capacity, there's never any reason given that another cop couldn't have done the exact same thing

so Gordon takes a bullet, which is something that no one could have predicted would happen

and then I guess he was unharmed by it but decided to take the opportunity to fake his death, because "he couldn't risk his family being targeted" (even though that had never been presented as an actual risk before then. The Joker calls Rachel as a target at the same event where Gordon gets "killed," and hadn't been targeting prominent figures' loved ones before that)

and then he drives Harvey's prison van, I guess to protect him from any attacks the Joker might attempt, even though nothing is ever said that suggests that he's like, a super awesome driver or gunfighter or something.

And then I guess the plan was that the Joker would probably attack, and Batman would probably show up to stop him, and Gordon could take an opportunity at some point to catch the Joker off-guard

and it's such a "fuck yeah" moment when you realize that Gordon's alive that you don't think about how he didn't really do anything special other than fake his death, and a non-faked-death cop could have acted in exactly the same way

And then, in spite of Gordon's plan not making a whole lot of sense and in spite of it being completely out of left field

the Joker had prepared for it completely and was banking on Gordon locking him up in the MCU

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    For those not prone to tl;dring, the Remedial Batmanology transcript-style reviews of every live action Batman film are pretty great (if you're wondering where the 1966 film is, they do it last). They also make a hilariously unique case for B&R being the best 90s-era film.

This makes me want to go home and watch B&R on Netflix right away.

I hated it along with everyone else when it first came out but now it seems like something I'd totally dig.

• Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular

Not really. My friend and I were ripping it apart at the theater right after seeing it for the first time.

I think that's my biggest problem with the movie. Everyone made it out to be the greatest thing ever, and I saw it and thought it was a pretty underwhelming movie with a couple of really good performances.

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    the imax theater near here is great but is is the most crowded fucking thing

which makes sense i guess since it's smack dab in the middle of a huge mall in pasadena

but still

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I have a few imax theaters near me but I think only one is a "true" screen.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    wanna see this movie

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I live near zero IMAX theaters

so I guess this is my only post in the thread
    yeah, I've decided I'm not watching any more trailers or clips or anything from this until it comes out

I've only seen the first trailer, and I'm happy about that.

And the only news I've allowed myself to read about this is the official runtime news. Almost 3 hours, dang.

• Options
    Maximum wrote: »

This makes me want to go home and watch B&R on Netflix right away.

I hated it along with everyone else when it first came out but now it seems like something I'd totally dig.

When you go back to watch it with their new perspective in mind, it's crazy how quickly it becomes a "legitimate hoot."

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    :winky: My Dark knight sure is -
    Hunter wrote: »
    My Dark Knight would be rising if I got to be next to Anne Hathaway in that suit too.
    Dangit

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options

Not really. My friend and I were ripping it apart at the theater right after seeing it for the first time.

I think that's my biggest problem with the movie. Everyone made it out to be the greatest thing ever, and I saw it and thought it was a pretty underwhelming movie with a couple of really good performances.

lemme rephrase

it totally worked for most people who saw it

obviously there was a percentage of people who thought it was nothing special as soon as it came out

but it's absurd performance at the box office suggests that that was a pretty tiny minority

• Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    Look just because some people didn't like it doesn't mean you can go around making fun of their tiny minorities

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    dark knight was so dope

i don't even care i still love that movie

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Shit I need to get my tix for this like, now

• Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    Hunter wrote: »

anne-hathaway-catwoman-costume-3.jpg

• Options
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    dark knight was so dope

i don't even care i still love that movie

yeah i still think it's an awesome movie

because really the draw wasn't ever the plot in the first place

it was heath ledger and aaron ekhart and christian bale

• Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular

it's mostly the joker but other characters occasionally do it too
    like Jim Gordon faking his death, and then evidently his plan was to be Harvey's driver and catch the Joker?

But it's not like there's anything special about Jim Gordon in that capacity, there's never any reason given that another cop couldn't have done the exact same thing

so Gordon takes a bullet, which is something that no one could have predicted would happen

and then I guess he was unharmed by it but decided to take the opportunity to fake his death, because "he couldn't risk his family being targeted" (even though that had never been presented as an actual risk before then. The Joker calls Rachel as a target at the same event where Gordon gets "killed," and hadn't been targeting prominent figures' loved ones before that)

and then he drives Harvey's prison van, I guess to protect him from any attacks the Joker might attempt, even though nothing is ever said that suggests that he's like, a super awesome driver or gunfighter or something.

And then I guess the plan was that the Joker would probably attack, and Batman would probably show up to stop him, and Gordon could take an opportunity at some point to catch the Joker off-guard

and it's such a "fuck yeah" moment when you realize that Gordon's alive that you don't think about how he didn't really do anything special other than fake his death, and a non-faked-death cop could have acted in exactly the same way

And then, in spite of Gordon's plan not making a whole lot of sense and in spite of it being completely out of left field

the Joker had prepared for it completely and was banking on Gordon locking him up in the MCU
    hmm, yeah I had never thought about what gordon was up to driving that van before, I guess it's quite strange. with regards to joker he just wanted to be locked up with lau, I don't think him realising gordon was alive was a special provision of that. Of course what he really wanted in that scene was for Batman to kill him

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    I never did see TDK in IMAX. I won't be making that mistake for this one.

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited June 2012

What doesn't make sense about it? Seemed pretty straight forward to me.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
This discussion has been closed.