As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Game Grumps: And now back to your regularly scheduled Grumping, already in progress.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Also, as of this post the sub counter is at 1,011,780. Will be interested to see how it moves now, and in which direction.

I see 1,010,357 at the moment. It was around 10,010,430 when I posted before.

If this is accurate, they've lost about 8,000 subscribers in the past day.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    B_RB_R Registered User regular
    That "Goodbye Jon" video is really weird.

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    i can't bear to watch barry cry

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Barry crying breaks my heart more than anything else in that video

Dan's not a bad replacement, though! It could have been worse, imo. I'd probably get over it over time, but that chemistry between Jon and Arin was something so... special. ~MAGICAL~, even.

I'm glad Jon left of his own accord, though. There are a couple of very vicious things said at him on his twitter, and I absolutely hate how smug some of the people on youtube can be about this whole deal. Let JonTron and Ego do their own thing, fer fuck's sake. If Jon wanted to jerk off on top of kittens and Ego wanted to do his double chin thing for every one of their videos, there's no need to give them shit about it, whatever.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Well I never subscribe to anything in the first place, I guess I'm weird and old fashioned. I also don't keep internet favorites, I know where I want to go and I go there.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
    I think Danny's an alright dude. I'm cool with this. Especially if we get more JonTron vids.

steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    People are speculating that Jon might have done something to piss Arin off that caused Arin to leave. While this is all just that - speculation, it would make a lot of sense. Jon does seem to... how should I put it... push the boundaries sometimes.

In other news, I actually watched the new Game Grumps and Danny seems like a pretty decent co-host. I do think the new intro is incredibly weird though.

• Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    People have personal differences, it happens. I'm sure the show will be fine with another personality, and I'm sure Jon and Arin will be successful whatever they do.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I like Arin and I like Jon. It sucks that he's leaving but I understand.

I'll miss Jon's overreactions to things though. Like his yell when the guy busted through the mountain in Battletoads. That will always make me laugh.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Really I don't know how I'll feel about it until the next JonTron, which hopefully is soon. The pressure is pretty much on for him now, cause if he left GG and still takes forever(1-2 months) to release JonTron videos, he could lose a lot more viewers. But if he makes a legitimate schedule and releases quality comedy on time then this could be great for him.

Either way, Steam Train is dumb but GG is still okay I guess. :?

• Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    People are speculating that Jon might have done something to piss Arin off that caused Arin to leave. While this is all just that - speculation, it would make a lot of sense. Jon does seem to... how should I put it... push the boundaries sometimes.

Maybe he put a hole in that shit ohdear.png

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    I basically watch Game Grumps to watch some people play video games and make jokes. If Dan can make jokes and make me laugh, more power to him. I won't forget Jon's humor though. He was great.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

In other news, I actually watched the new Game Grumps and Danny seems like a pretty decent co-host. I do think the new intro is incredibly weird though.

Hahah, can't wait for people to start combing recent videos for clues.

Maybe he was really mad about Jon crushing that Drilldozer

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I couldn't watch Steam Train at all, but I tried. Definitely not a fan of those two. Might just be a bad choice of game, though.

Hotline Miami is definitely a poor choice for the first game. It's a fantastic game itself, but it's more like Super Meat Boy in the sense that it's a bad choice of game to try and LP blind due to it being pretty difficult and requiring a certain level of concentration. It's fun to watch someone who is really good at it, but there's not a lot to gain out of watching someone fumble around for 10 minutes.

It's nice that there's a series of videos focusing on PC games, though. Commentary just didn't do it for me at all, though. I'll wait for a few more videos from them before making any final judgments. But yeah, first impressions weren't too good.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Really I don't know how I'll feel about it until the next JonTron, which hopefully is soon. The pressure is pretty much on for him now, cause if he left GG and still takes forever(1-2 months) to release JonTron videos, he could lose a lot more viewers. But if he makes a legitimate schedule and releases quality comedy on time then this could be great for him.

Either way, Steam Train is dumb but GG is still okay I guess. :?

I can't imagine how JonTron is profitable for him when he's at like 6 videos a year on average.

Something like Nostalgia Critic's show works because he's on a weekly basis with smaller videos in between.

Hahah, can't wait for people to start combing recent videos for clues.

Maybe he was really mad about Jon crushing that Drilldozer

I certainly know I was.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    DarmaniDarmani Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Some things you watch for the thing they make. but its not lie or shame to say you follow a performer orthe chemistry of certain group (bands, troupes, design teams, etc). Game Grumps changing up is totally fine BUT so is fans changing their subscription and channels. I mean its not hateful. You're consumer and you being there for the interplay of these two performers, yes even when its scripted and so on is NOT a badthing or seeing a replacement as off putting. Its like the DRM thing sorry but Steam and GoG earned that trust and distrust IS the default with surrendering time and merchandise.

Anyway yeah game grumps...honestly feels off. GG seems specifically their collaboration over a let's play so moving on to like something ELSE feels better or more right

ala Digital cowboys splitting into Cane and Rinse and Digital Gonzo. The two even hook back up and they certainly haven't *lost* anything but it was a change and the change up reflecting that change just felt more appropriate.

Another it goes without saying that the duo that originated Penny Arcade aren't its only contributors and so on. Still the comic and the front facing aticles has been slow to introduce and never supplant the two leads even as they have diverged from their real world counterparts and usually they have SOME presence in a piece or long leadup to it. Its just that kinda work. the changes happen, mostly, outside the major product for reasons. People get rotated in and out and ideas even in the news articles treated as such. It just makes things feel right.

Darmani on
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    So I saw this on Reddit, but it's unverified, obviously.

gYJjPl0.png

Guy blocked out in red works at Rodeo Arcade, the company that handled their shirts.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Well, it certainly sounds reasonable, I guess.

Jon and Arin certainly touched upon the subject of how much time of the week getting GG footage took up, and they discussed it plenty in a few videos. Even then, going off pure maths and conjecture, to put out 2 episodes a day every day of the week (assuming their episode lengths averaging about 15 minutes, maybe?) would require about 3 and a half hours of gameplay. To sit down and play 3 and a half hours worth of game and be wacky shits about it doesn't sound incredibly taxing (although they've probably put in a lot more hours than that a week). I'd assume the day-to-day work is really just editing and sound mixing done by Barry.

If I remember correctly, Jon had claimed in the past that Game Grumps wasn't the reason that his next videos were coming out so slowly. Although I think Arin just wasn't making his own stuff because he couldn't be arsed, lol

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    i kinda would have preffered rubberross be the new grump. danny is funny but I think rubberross is funnier, plus him and egoraptor have really different senses of humor. either way I will keep watching GG and steam train as long as they make me laugh, which so far they have.

• Options
    WydrionWydrion Registered User regular
    I've been a fan of Danny and Ninja Sex Party since their very first video, I don't even know how I stumbled upon it. But I hope this at least helps NSP's career if it drives GG's into the ground.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    So I saw this on Reddit, but it's unverified, obviously.

gYJjPl0.png

Guy blocked out in red works at Rodeo Arcade, the company that handled their shirts.

Cue two hundred thousand fans of accusing Jon's girlfriend of Yoko Ono-ing Game Grumps.

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    I liked JonTron before Game Grumps -- I will like him after.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    If people are still pissed (if it's true) about that then I don't know what to say. I say good for him for taking that next step in a relationship.

• Options
    Vicious_GSRVicious_GSR Dude Principality of ZeonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Well, it certainly sounds reasonable, I guess.

Jon and Arin certainly touched upon the subject of how much time of the week getting GG footage took up, and they discussed it plenty in a few videos. Even then, going off pure maths and conjecture, to put out 2 episodes a day every day of the week (assuming their episode lengths averaging about 15 minutes, maybe?) would require about 3 and a half hours of gameplay. To sit down and play 3 and a half hours worth of game and be wacky shits about it doesn't sound incredibly taxing (although they've probably put in a lot more hours than that a week). I'd assume the day-to-day work is really just editing and sound mixing done by Barry.

If I remember correctly, Jon had claimed in the past that Game Grumps wasn't the reason that his next videos were coming out so slowly. Although I think Arin just wasn't making his own stuff because he couldn't be arsed, lol

Going off the average length of the videos they produce and keeping up with releasing two videos a day it kinda works out like this...

Jon & Arin show up, sit down, eat a pizza, play a game. 4 hours of play (if not more if they actually film everything for a week in a single day), 1 hour of setup (camera/mic/whatever).

Barry takes the footage, splits it up into 12 minute segments. Mostly unedited drag and drop into a template previously created. Most time is consumed in the rendering process. Audio provides no real difficulty mastering as it's a single secured environment. Depending on what system specs they are rocking, it would take maybe 10 hours to render out all of the videos for the week. Time they are not spending watching the progress bar by the way.

Next step is uploading and that can take anywhere from half an hour to an hour depending on internet speeds, and generating the thumbnail for the episode (which already has a template). YouTube automatically generates Tweets and Facebook posts for you if you need. Because Game Grumps is partnered with TGS they don't have to worry about any advertising and the likes.

Pretty much, you are looking at around 25 hours (estimated) of work for a weeks worth of Game Grumps. Some of that is waiting on uploads and rendering, some of it is actual working and playing games. It's a mixed bag, but having it be a 'Let's Play' series makes the workflow a lot easier than someone writing/editing/producing content like AVGN or The Game Chasers.

Vicious_GSR on
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    MagicPrime wrote: »

I didn't even know JonTron existed before Game Grumps. His stuff is great.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    And that's totally fine, darmani. But there are a ton of self important geese as well that just shouldn't be allowed to comment on the internet as well

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

Everything Jon does is legitimate!

Legitimately.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Donnicton wrote: »
    gYJjPl0.png

Whatever happened to Grumps B4 Bumps?

steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

Everything Jon does is legitimate!

Legitimately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxL_eK8caAQ

I actually like Dan a little now because he's actually good at the games they're playing. They're also playing Super Mario 2 on top of Mike Tyson, and he's just fucking rolling through it.

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    Riokenn wrote: »
    MagicPrime wrote: »

I didn't even know JonTron existed before Game Grumps. His stuff is great.

You should check out all the old normalboots.com people. PBG, Continue?, The Completionist, all are pretty good.

I like the Completionist quite a bit.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    They've lost another couple thousand subscriptions since last night. Hmmm.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    If it's true there are still unreleased Jon episodes then it's weird they're doing it like this. Introducing the new guy and announcing Jon's exit in one video, then releasing more videos with the new guy only to suddenly release some with Jon in it is gonna confuse a lot of people. I suppose they could just make some sort of reference to it in an intro but I feel like it would have been better to get the Jon content out of the way first. Unless they were afraid his departure would be leaked or something before they finished posting them?

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I think jon decided it was time to go a while ago and was waiting for the "right moment." I think that was why they restarted old series like LttP and zombies ate my neighbors, and got ones like glover, or other games frequently sent in, out of the way. honestly I am happy they have a few more jon episodes to release. I can see them throwing the unreleased jon eps up next time they run into recording issues.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Honestly, if Jon left the show because he's moving across the country with his girlfriend, that's actually a really good reason, and I can completely respect that. It certainly makes the transition easier to take.
    Obviously his personal life is no one's business but his own, and with the internet being the internet, I can't blame him for not wanting to share that information with their audience.

• Options
    Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    Adus wrote: »
    If it's true there are still unreleased Jon episodes then it's weird they're doing it like this. Introducing the new guy and announcing Jon's exit in one video, then releasing more videos with the new guy only to suddenly release some with Jon in it is gonna confuse a lot of people. I suppose they could just make some sort of reference to it in an intro but I feel like it would have been better to get the Jon content out of the way first. Unless they were afraid his departure would be leaked or something before they finished posting them?

I dunno, it just feels really odd. I feel as if they really could have handled this transition a lot better than they did. Out of nowhere there's this guy we don't know essentially taking Jon's place, and they're acting like nothing happened in the actual videos. And that goodbye video was way too short and was just very strange in general. Why is Jon filming that from his cell phone? Why not shoot a scene where Jon and Arin part like good friends? It all just feels very abrupt and messy.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Y'know, while Danny may not be as funny as Jon, he's certainly as much, if not more entertaining.

And after watching the SMB2 video, I feel like he's more intelligent than Jon...who is like some sort of babbling infant by comparison.

Oh god the video in the post above mine...Arin's made a career out of being a moron.

And I could not be more jealous. I want to get paid for acting like a moron.

Edit: I bet Suzy looks so much better without the layer of makeup.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    No need to be goosey about Jon. Can appreciate he ain't for everyone, but I liked him lots and still feel like it's a big loss. That said! That Super Mario Bros ep was good stuff, I like Danny on Game Grumps fine. (He should have a different line in the intro though. Or at least rerecord it.)

Steam Train continues to vary between dull and awful.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Edit: I bet Suzy looks so much better without the layer of makeup.

She does not.

steam_sig-400.png
This discussion has been closed.