Options

[Bayonetta 1&2] bayo 1 out on steam in 4K! Buy it or else

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I got a lot of Platinums on Bayo 1 but not a single on Bayo 2 so far. Seems odd, since Bayo 2 seems easier so far in general. I find I'm missing more verses, that's probably what's doing it.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    DKLDKL Registered User regular

Whelp, I think I wanna go back to playing with regular witch time now lol

(honestly, I kinda wanna just use the climax brace now so that I never have to worry about meter and I can just do what I want)

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I just got the climax brace actually. I'm doing a lot of testing.

None of that required witch time though?

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    DKLDKL Registered User regular
    I actually kinda stopped using teleport for meter purposes... which is annoying because you can do cool things with meter, but now that I'm using bracelet, everything is tied up.

I WANT TO BE FREE.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    B2ZUj-pIcAAmbgl.jpg

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Those two failed to see the warning signs, and were promptly eaten by a Gomorrah.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    DKL wrote: »
    I actually kinda stopped using teleport for meter purposes... which is annoying because you can do cool things with meter, but now that I'm using bracelet, everything is tied up.

I WANT TO BE FREE.

I never not teleport.

It's not a mere teleport. It's an animation cancel just like jump cancel, usable at any point in your combo, that can dodge offset.

I am free.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    B2ZUj-pIcAAmbgl.jpg

Somebody put some pants on that pillow!

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I need easy access to a large boss to test damages.

I think I found something pretty interesting with climax brace but I want to see if hitbox means anything. Anyone got any good places to find a big fat waddly boss? There's so many large bosses but I can't remember how hard they are to get to.

Wait! I remember
    one of the early chapters has an undine near the start

Perfect.

Short moment of silence for this fucker cos he's going to be dying quite a lot today in all sorts of horrible ways...

edit: Yep I found something pretty interesting. Wanna make a video of it but I'm in the middle of a lot of stuff this weekend so I don't have much time. It's not earthshaking so it can wait a bit, but it is pretty cool.
    There's something else I found that wont require a video though. If you start a move with umbran climax on and turn it off you keep making weaves until that particular move ends.

It's most useful with mashy moves like the end of ppppp(mash p) where she hits them with a large barrage of punches, or moves like the hammers 360 p(mash p) where you spin around for five or six seconds, because you will gain magic orbs during these moves from all the weaves it produces.
    Only a single move.

Another example would be whips kkk.k(k mash). You know the one everybody loves. Turn it on at the start of the chain, turn it off as you start the kick mash move, you'll get some orbs back.
    This is very probably why there is at least a 4 orb long delay from when you turn it on to when you can toggle it off. Cos otherwise this would be totally broken. You could just flick it on and off then and get all the major benefits with none of the costs!

Morninglord on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I know this would never happen, but damn it would be hilarious to see a Shantae costume for Bayonetta.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    The Masked Lumen is so damned fast... wowza.

Also those guys with the shields... what do I do? They completely eff my combos. Right before the masked lumen there's a fight with just the two of them and my combo score was stone... STONE! Everyone else was platinum.

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    [double post]

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    Try PKP. A hit or two with a Weave should stagger them, allowing you to do a QTE punish move behind the shield.

• Options
    RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    So I'm way behind a lot of you in this regard, but I fairly recently started going through the game again on 3rd Climax for the unlocks and also to see if I couldn't grab some more stuff I missed first time around (which apparently wasn't much, just like two Muspelheim and some well hidden chests / verses). I was doing noticeably better at getting ranks, so I decided I was going to try to platinum all the chapters too if I could manage it...

And then I hit Chp XI, where you fight Alraune. I thought I might have hit a wall here, as I just could NOT dodge her attacks consistently (one in particular seems to have a false red swipe cue early on before she moves forward to actually attack) and the damage on some of them is pretty insane too if you mess it up (like her soul sucker tail sting you have to wiggle to break out).

Well...it took half a dozen tries, but I finally managed to platinum that bitch! Not looking forward to doing the Lumen Sage fight right after though, the other chapters with him I had to rely on getting good ranks in the other verses to get a good overall. I'm really horrible at the humanoid bosses in this game, since they seem to dodge almost everything you can throw at them.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    She doesn't have any false cues.

I beat alruane in infinite climax on one life bar. That took about 30 retries. Now I can avoid her while fighting something else.

The trick with her
    pretty much everything she has is multiple hit. You gotta dodge in your dodge so you dodge while you're dodging.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Its her attack where she dodges back a little and says "Die!" before leaping forward. When she starts moving her hands glow red like a swipe, but you can't trigger witch time with it because it's not actually an attack yet (unlike all her other attacks with the red streaks). If that's not a false cue I guess I'm not sure what you consider one, since it looks extremely similar to her melee attacks otherwise.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    That's a warning cue. Bayonetta 1 had a similar system for unexpected attacks. Their halos would flash before they attacked (doggy bites are a good example). When you watched for this it nearly doubled their attack tell. Flash, bite. Flash, bite. Flash, bite. They had an early warning light on the top of their heads. It was pretty funny once you worked it out.
    Bayo 2 uses a similar system for tricky or weird attacks like that.

Real attacks do not suddenly glow. The tell streak gradually grows in size and changes colour as an attack is incoming until it is glowing the brightest and is at its widest width just before impact . A sudden unexpected flash with no prior visual indicator is not an attack. It's a warning.

So now you know.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Lol, look man, I respect your knowledge of the game and everything but...like I said, this was on my replay of the game. I've played Bayonetta 1 as well, I'm not new to this rodeo. Admittedly it looks more like an attack than a warning when you're either near the edge of the arena or way up in her grill, but it seems pretty blatant that it was in an effort to make that attack a bit trickier since she's a boss and all. Otherwise they'd have done it like so many other attacks and made her eyes twinkle or such instead.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I'm going to record this attack and see what the hell you are on about. I don't remember any problematic attack. She's so easy to read its hilarious.

Nah I was right. She leaps backwards, there is a bright flash with no streaks. Then there's startup red streaks after the flash as she leaps forward but they look like the startup of all her other moves. They grow in intensity as the attack is incoming.

This attack is signposted by the leap backwards, which she doesn't do for any other move and is part of the tell (she does a backflip for a normal dodge), then the bright flash, then the starting streaks as her hands are spread out like a classic wolverine is about to pounce pose. They aren't swinging as she leaps in, they're still spread out. About halfway she brings them forwards to start the swipe There are streaks, but they're light and small and culminate in the normal hit streaks when she's actually hitting you. The same lighter streak is used for other long distance moves she does as she travels in.
    It's as clear and unambiguous as you can get. Trying to be tricky? More like trying to get your attention. Pay attention to the leap backwards and the bright flash. She does not do this flash for her other moves. It's meant to alert you that she's doing her away and attack.
    Game even slows down for a split second so you can see her spread hands, which are, again, in a pose completely unique to this animation.
    It's not false, you just aren't looking for the other distinguishing signs that mark the move apart. You only mentioned the red streaks and didn't mention that her dodge, itself, is signposted as a dodge and return. All dodge and returns work exactly the same way. None of them impact on the way back, only when they land. Lumen sages comes swinging in after he curves away from you, but you wont get hit until it lands, because that would change the moves hitbox if you are in their grill.
    That would be stupid design.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    So hey, how playable is this on a Wii U tablet? It might be a lil' while before I can get a Pro controller. :P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    I've played everything on the tablet (this, 3d world, DK) and haven't really had a problem.

Just scratching my head about why there even is a tablet.

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    So hey, how playable is this on a Wii U tablet? It might be a lil' while before I can get a Pro controller. :P

I played both games through completely on the gamepad and it plays great.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    The only thing i don't like is the heavyness of it. And I can't move my hands around to different positions very easily. I do this a lot when I play games, my hand position is rarely static.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Hmm. Would you say you can get proficient on NSIC with it? Or would I be better waiting til I can play with a Pro controller and not develop bad habits?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    No idea. I'm an idiosyncratic outlier when it comes to these kinds of things. I'm sure there are people who bust this game wide open on NSIC with the gamepad but I'm not one of them. Whenever I try to play it on gamepad I feel gimped now that I'm used to the pro.

So about that thing I discovered on the weekend.

Remember DMC4 distortion? For those who don't know what that means, in dmc4 with dante if you turned on devil trigger with the right timing as you hit the enemy your attack would hit twice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihBj7EPl-Xk&index=2&list=PLdRdfXBjxcFR7apTWd1nGY8LY0Eu07BkR

Yeah....

This works with more than just the hammer, but this is the most damage I could get. It takes a notable chunk off bosses.
    It also does a lot more damage than the same move during umbran climax.

I haven't worked out if you can do it with weaves. It seems to have a distance requirement. They need to be reasonably close.
    But hey, if you are going to enter umbran climax with the hammer? This is how you do it.

What I especially like is that it does just enough damage that it sets up that punisher ender perfectly. If you hit them first and then do it, they die during the mash and don't get hit by the ender.
    Little clues like that tell you how they've designed damages.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I find that I can't use a lot of weapons in 2 effectively. Alaruna seems to lack damage, Takemikazuchi is too slow, salamandra has no wicked weaves and the timing is awkward, and Kafka is eh. Anyone have any tips for these?

Emperor_Z on
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Daaang. Distorted Real Impact was the hypest jam. It's also such a badass phrase. Just say that out loud. "Distorted Real Impact" UNF.

The only thing that Nero has that compares is. I dunno. "Exceed High Roller" and that's not near as hype. As a phrase, I mean. In practice all of his Exceed moves looked awesome.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Personally I liked distorted level 3 just frame straight.
    But distorted is definitely sexy.

Bayo's is more of a bonus thing when turning on umbran climax than a real part of her moveset though. It's most useful with high damage moves like the hammer charge or rakshasa's full charge aoe unleash. You have to be close for that to work.

Now if I can work out if it can be done with infernal weaves if you are close enough we could be talking business. If you have the magic you can turn it off and then on again immediately.

Right now as a project when not testing this stuff I'm going through infinite climax again with gaze of despair and bangle of time (just to turn off witch time, not actually using it), using only love is blue. Beating every muspelheim that I can with that set as well. Don't care about score, just beating it.
    Already found a muspelheim I simply cannot beat, at all, with this restriction, so I may have to relax the weapon restriction for a few of those if that trend continues. I nearly had him once though so I am going to at the very least keep beating my head against him for a bit longer. It's a timed one and I keep running out of time.

There was another one that was giving me real trouble until I realised I was derping and it was actually a non damage outside of witch time one. I kind of wasn't paying a lot of attention and skipped the startup. I thought that particular monster was just parrying me everytime I did anything and also magically immune to weaves.
    Whoops.

So yeah, had to take off the bangle for that one.

Even then it was really hard because one of the creatures gives you a tiny fraction of a second witch time when you dodge it while taunted, while the squishier one gives you a lot more, so you have to go and provoke the squishy one to attack you, then use that witch time to beat up the bigger one while not killing the squishier one in the process.
    Somewhat tricky.

I'm also equipping every move, even ones that conflict with jump cancel techs or I don't like much anymore, just to see if when forced to the limit I can work out their purpose in various situations. Sometimes I figure out really surprising stuff by limiting myself this way.

Doing this really reminds me of doing a kick me run in godhand on hard. No godhand, no reel moves, just punching and kicking and dodging.

No items either of course, no point if I don't figure out how to do this without dying.

The human bosses are going to take me a real long time. I can see some of them taking potentially days. It's possible this may turn into one of those long term projects I never manage to finish. :) I hope not tho.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Emperor_Z wrote: »
    I find that I can't use a lot of weapons in 2 effectively. Alaruna seems to lack damage, Takemikazuchi is too slow, salamandra has no wicked weaves and the timing is awkward, and Kafka is eh. Anyone have any tips for these?

Alruna:
    Grab enemies in witch time. Grabbing them also continues your combo, so equip them on legs. Grab does decent damage and lets you control enemies. You can also grab more than one enemy at a time if you do the grab during the later part of a combo.
    Try kkk pause k (mash) on legs.

and with rakshasa on hands and alruna on legs try ppkk pause k (mash). Both of these are fantastic crowd control and decent damage.

Takemikazuchi requires dodge offset for advanced use. Take note: charging attacks freeze your combo timer. Take is ridiculous during umbran climax. You can do a fifth combo hit with legs by dodge offsetting the end of take's 4th hit and then pressing k.
    Also you can start a charge from pretty much anything take does, just keep the button held down and she'll start charging after the hit.
    When charged to full take gets powered up by lightning. This will make all your hits do more damage for a few seconds. It's enough time to land a 4 hit combo without interruption. It also does the highest damage single hit in the game.

A mini charge with take will do a slightly faster smack with the handle that still stuns enemies. During umbran climax this will also do a weave.

Many of take's apparently "empty" moves are stupid in umbran climax. Try back forward punch (tetsuzanko) in umbran climax.

Take's 360 + punch move can be mashed. She will keep spinning all over the place like a demented top for basically ever. It's great crowd control.

Salamandra has a just frame on every hit that does tremendous damage and adds combo points. Press and hold the button, then watch for the saw to glow red (instead of orange). Let go at that point and you'll do an extra attack.
    Master these attacks and salamandra is the best melee range weapon for damage in the game. Especially for large creatures, nothing can tear them apart faster than a full combo with salamandra doing this "just release" on every hit. It isn't really a just frame, it's pretty forgiving, but it does take practice. It also builds the magic meter like crazy and doing this same technique in umbran climax? Hoooo boy. They be crying.
    You can also do the same dodge offset 4th punch hit and then get out the fifth combo hit with legs that you can with take.
    Salamandra hands alruna feet is crazy powerful. Dodge large enemies attacks, slam them onto the ground with alruna, tear them apart with the chainsaw.

Kafka has charge attacks that release more arrows. Press and hold the button for a short duration before you release each attack. It's also the fastest way to get to fantastic foot enders. Kafka chomp is a very powerful perfect platinum weapon on infinite climax.
    For its "weave" attacks, press and hold the button until maximum charge and the arrows released are a lot bigger, do a ton more damage, and instead of staggering enemies the weaves blast them backwards.

edit: Important addition. Fully charged Takemikazuchi can't be blocked or parried by anything. Not even allegience (the flaming sword and shield guys). Not even if they are taunted. Not even if they are taunted in Infinite Climax. As long as you have that lightning buff on your hammer they cannot do anything but get smacked around. You have exactly enough time to hit them with pppp and then you can charge straight out of that 4th blow.

Ditto for cancelling straight into 360 + p mash, it'll end just as you finish and you can hold at the end to charge again.

This thing is completely fucking broken its not even funny.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi4vqPmaUlo&feature=youtu.be
    When fully charged, Takemikazuchi gets a lightning aura for a few seconds. While this lightning aura is active it cannot be parried.
    I used Bracelet of Time to show that Witch Time is irrelevant.
    This is the first Muspelheim of Infinite Climax difficulty.
    I idled for a bit because Chain Chomps idle animation is so damn cute. :3 Sure is hard work killing those Centaurs!

• Options
    So, you start charging, use Dodge Offset to ensure you get the full charge, and then go nutss?

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Finished the story mode, but missed a few weapons, so plenty of reason to go back. Loved this game as much as the first, really hope we can get a third made somehow.

Also "Moonriver" is such a good song.

How much content is in the Witch Trials?

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    plufim wrote: »
    Finished the story mode, but missed a few weapons, so plenty of reason to go back. Loved this game as much as the first, really hope we can get a third made somehow.

Also "Moonriver" is such a good song.

How much content is in the Witch Trials?

Five different trials, only the 5th is really nuts. Some good fights to practice your moves on, though.

• Options
    Well finished 3rd Climax all-plat run, went alot easier than I thought it might honestly. I really wish Platinum would quit inserting long shooter segments in boss chapters, though.

I hope the game does well enough to warrant a third, though I'm not entirely sure what direction they'd go from here story-wise.

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    So, you start charging, use Dodge Offset to ensure you get the full charge, and then go nutss?

You can actually cancel as soon as its charged. You don't have to hit them with the charged move, but, I mean, why wouldn't you?

• Options
    To my shame I haven't really used Takemikazuchi much, struck me as too slow for much anything but a 1v1
    In which case it felt like you may as well just chainsaw them to death instead

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Chainsaw frequently gets parried on Infinite Climax outside of witch time or umbran climax. And takes too long to do its damage in Witch Time, so you run out. It's slow and has no real weaves.
    The lightning charge is exactly long enough to do 360 + P mash, which is a fantastic way to build orbs for umbran climax. At which point Take will destroy the entire screen.

Chainsaw is a good weapon but it is not the weapon. It's got drawbacks.

Good example is the muspelheim I used as an example: while chainsaw can kill that thing, it can't do it within the time limit very easily. That Take strategy is very smooth and easy, I had three or four slightly different Perfect Platinum takes, one after another, and selected one I liked. I actually had the freedom, due to the power of that weapon in that situation, to deliberately try to show off. I took off witch time for example. That's flat out impossible with chainsaw because that angel will parry it.
    Take doesn't even care about taunt. Taunt is completely irrelevant once it is charged up. They get no resistance, they get no stun resistance. It beats the shit out of them anyway.

A very important part of Take's strategy is the fact that your combo time freezes when you are charging moves. You always want to be charging take if you can so it syncs rather nicely. You charge and wait for them to swing. On higher difficulties (or when you have gaze of despair on) they will attack you frequently, and you are rewarded with a massive chunk of damage that is also worth a beast amount of combo points due to gaze.

Take is an example of a weapon that you gloss over as things get tougher until you sit down and put the time into it to realise holy shit this thing is an absolute beast when you figure out how to use it. It can deal with a pack of large centaurs just as easily as a single one, since its wide sweeps will hit all of them. It is the hard counter to parry happy enemies.

It's drawback is human bosses and extremely fast enemies that don't give you time to charge it up. It also less effective than the chainsaw against high hitpoint enemies that don't parry much, like the big ice and fire guys. Salamandra + alruna beast those guys and its what I use when fighting them 1 on 1.

One thing I'm finding as I keep exploring all the weapons in this game is that they are all have pros and cons. For any given fight, there is a perfect platinum weapon that does it easiest, fastest and sails straight through the combo point requirement to boot.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Yeah I haven't tried Infinite Climax yet, I'll give it a whirl sometime when I do.
    Btw is there much practical point to ever doubling up on a weapon for both hands and feet? Double Rakshasa or Alruna can be fun but they largely work the same way in either slot, and I didn't play around with it enough to notice if there was any kind of bonus for suiting up with one on all limbs.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Yes but it depends on what you want.
    Rak on feet has incredible feet enders that you want to get to.
    Rak on hands is the fastest attack weapon tied with khafka.
    So they sync rather nicely. Using both is the fastest way to get to the leg enders and since the leg enders are melee range using khafka doesn't mesh well.

Alruna hands and feet, alruna hands has faster attacks for grabbing. It's also faster so you can get up to multi grab moves quicker when you need them, including in witch time where you can get to ppp(grab) very easily out of a bat within. It syncs well with strong slow legs, you use the hand moves to quickly grab a bunch of enemies together then hit them with the strong slow leg attacks eg Alruna legs.
    Alruna legs has stronger aoe weaves, but the leg combos can sometimes take too long to get to the actual grabby part so you'll drop out of witch time and lose the grab. Alruna hands covers that gap.
    Alruna legs also can't be dodged out of the whip throw (or umbran spear cancelled like that other video I did). Only alruna hands can do that. So hands is safer. This can be an issue, I've gotten knocked out of grabs in hectic fights on IC.

It depends on what combination you use it with which one you'll want, but they both have a use and together they're ridiculously good aoe crowd control.

Love is blue does a lot of damage with its bullet fire during its moves (hold down the button while doing each move to fire them off and get more damage) and it fires all of them if you double them up. It's not a bad weapon at all, just harder to use since its a jack of all trades master of none.
    Great for sticky situations against fast enemies, you use dodge offset (or just shooting from a distance) to get to weaves you want and hold down the button while doing the weaves for extra damage.

Undine syncs together in a slightly more complicated way. The leg weaves are vertical (death from above) and aoe at the point of impact. The hand weaves are horizontal (except tetsu but thats a special case with this weapon) and start from well behind bayonetta. Using both effectively, you would use the horizontal weaves from the middle of an enemy pack, basically the middle of the room. The weave will collect everything from one end of the room and sweep it all over to one side. Then you use pkk or kkkk etc to smash them all while they are gathered together.
    Using both also lets you freeze a whole group by doing fire/fire, then 360+P hold to switch to ice and ice up everyone, and for enemies who wont freeze from a single application you do 360+k(hold) to finish the popsicalisation. Icecubes for all.
    There's also the fairly obvious: enemies can't parry the flame or frost, so using both and staying at medium range lets you constantly flame or frost enemies without reprisal until they're on fire or frozen.

You should play Infinite Climax, it's a very different game.

Morninglord on