Options

[Bayonetta 1&2] bayo 1 out on steam in 4K! Buy it or else

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    I'm not reading the rest of the rant if you can twist my words so much in two sentences.

That never works.

• Options
    Man, Love is Blue is actually a pretty great hand weapon. It combines very nicely with Alruna. My favorite combo is probably PPPK-PP.

Double Weave is always fun, and it looks really cool in Umbran Climax.

• Options
    DibbitDibbit Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I'm not sure what to do next with this game...

I beat it, and I was trying to go through the extra stages that were unlocked, but I can't beat the second. I'm not seeing anything else to play unless I just want to do the story again. I'm not gaining enough halos to buy anything. The game isn't showing me any way to unlock any more characters or weapons.

You're not meant to clear all the Witch Trials as soon as you unlock them. They get hard fast, and they basically assume you have all the health/magic upgrades, all the techniques, and all the accessories (or at least the ones you care about).

1. Play it over on a higher difficulty. This will gradually up your personal skill level at the game so that you'll fare better in the witch trials, as well as gaining you more halos. Remember you can just skip the story cutscenes, so the levels really aren't that long.

2. Play Tag Climax. Either with someone here in the thread, or random people, or a CPU partner. You gamble your halos on being able to clear sets of enemies.

I've cleared the Witch Trials and I've yet to purchase any accessory but the one that gives bonus items on using a tag climax (and technically the "press towards the enemy to block, do it late for extended Witch Time" one by having the Link costume on. I also don't think most of the techniques are really necessary; Bat Within is obviously mandatory, and I find the crow dash and the spinning breakdance shootout from holding down dodge useful on occasion when I don't want to just shoot while walking forward to keep a combo going, but the rest of them really aren't super necessary. A lot of the techniques seem like they would fit better in a DMC like combo system where you really try to get enemies in the air, or from the air to the ground, and where dropping your combo isn't just "I didn't hit for 10 seconds."

You not finding a use =/= not having a use.

First of all you are incorrect that the game is not about air combos. Become enlightened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcihhXg8j_o

As for the moves:

Afterburner kick is the fastest launch in the game and works on everything in witch time, small things out. Holding it down does extra damage and effects with different weapons.

Heel tornado can stun pretty much anything in its radius. Not half an hour ago I took 1/4 of a life bar off rodin just continuously spamming this move and he couldn't break out of it.

Heel Kick does different effects depending on what weapon you have equipped. With the chainsaws on the feet it turns into a dodge on start up attack with invincibility frames and gives you witch time if you evade an attack with it. The attack itself does a lot of damage. You can also use it to get over behind enemies which is important for some of them since they wont parry from behind. With Undine you get a gigantic weave great for crowd control that splats enemies into the ground for punishment. It also gives you great combo multiplier. With the chain chomp it is the fastest attack that can get out a chain chomp projectile from a standing start. No other attack will kick out a chain chomp "missile" as fast as heel kick.

Tetsuzanko similarly has different effects. Rakshasha does a dodge and attack that gives witch time. Whip does a 360 aoe weave. Shurubra does a decent damage vertical weave that can stun bosses out of their charging attacks. Undine does a dodge and attack that has a weave to boot, which can be cancelled out of pkp to hit them with two weaves simultaneously.

The stinger moves are great for stunning and covering ground and can be done in the air as well.

The crow attacks do great damage. Especially with Rosa where it's the highest damage attack she has in the shortest amount of time.

The only move I don't find much use for is witch twist because it sadly got nerfed. In bayonetta 1 it used to give you a launching weave but it'll only do this in umbran climax. You don't need it in umbran climax though, because afterburner kick will also do a launching weave in umbran climax. So it's kind of pointless now.

I turn off jump and punch because it interferes with jump cancelling air combos.

Having a use doesn't equal necessary. The majority of the techniques and accessories have a use, yes, but the majority are *not* necessary for clearing the Witch Trials; I'd pretty much only say that about Bat Within, since it gives you tons of extra i-frames.

Air combos exist, yes, but unlike DMC they are not a necessary part of the system. I can and have pure platinum'd the majority of verses without jumping. In DMC, I can't think of a fight I *ever* didn't launch and follow up with air combos.

I'm not reading the rest of the rant if you can twist my words so much in two sentences.

I guess so, but I'm not sure what your point is.
    You can beat this game without ever buying anything or picking up any weapon, the only "necessary" move you need to buy to complete it is "The snake within"
    But having a whole arsenal at your disposal is what makes Bayonetta such a joy to play, and yeah, I am personally not using the hammer that much, and I finished second climax without using the bow (because I was doing perfectly fine with the guns for some weak distance damage) but that doesn't mean that they're not really cool to have.
    In fact, I LIKE that there's not a requirement to use a certain technique or weapon, the game would've been poorer if there was a "and now you have to use undine only or get burned by fire" section. Walking around with whip-feet everywhere and smacking angels into demons makes me happy, and doing a one big juggling combo kill makes morninglord happy. (It would make me happy too if I could, but I can't) so, we're all happy?

On that note: 3 questions:

1.When does your whip grab onto 2 guys at once? It'll sometimes do this, but I can't reliably reproduce it.

I don't have the chain chomp, how do you get it?

Does anyone else feel...conflicted when you run around as princess peach with a permanent upskirt? While I'm all for it, it was a "hhmm..peachy" moment

Dibbit on
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    My point was I was directly responding to somebody saying you weren't supposed to beat witch trials without full upgrades, moves, and accessories. That is false. I do not know why that is such a huge deal.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    DibbitDibbit Registered User regular
    My point was I was directly responding to somebody saying you weren't supposed to beat witch trials without full upgrades, moves, and accessories. That is false. I do not know why that is such a huge deal.

I think it was meant more as a
    "Having the weapons and accessories you are best with sure seems helpful, also, having a decent amount of health and magic is a good idea"

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2014

I beat it, and I was trying to go through the extra stages that were unlocked, but I can't beat the second. I'm not seeing anything else to play unless I just want to do the story again. I'm not gaining enough halos to buy anything. The game isn't showing me any way to unlock any more characters or weapons.

You're not meant to clear all the Witch Trials as soon as you unlock them. They get hard fast, and they basically assume you have all the health/magic upgrades, all the techniques, and all the accessories (or at least the ones you care about).

1. Play it over on a higher difficulty. This will gradually up your personal skill level at the game so that you'll fare better in the witch trials, as well as gaining you more halos. Remember you can just skip the story cutscenes, so the levels really aren't that long.

2. Play Tag Climax. Either with someone here in the thread, or random people, or a CPU partner. You gamble your halos on being able to clear sets of enemies.

I've cleared the Witch Trials and I've yet to purchase any accessory but the one that gives bonus items on using a tag climax (and technically the "press towards the enemy to block, do it late for extended Witch Time" one by having the Link costume on. I also don't think most of the techniques are really necessary; Bat Within is obviously mandatory, and I find the crow dash and the spinning breakdance shootout from holding down dodge useful on occasion when I don't want to just shoot while walking forward to keep a combo going, but the rest of them really aren't super necessary. A lot of the techniques seem like they would fit better in a DMC like combo system where you really try to get enemies in the air, or from the air to the ground, and where dropping your combo isn't just "I didn't hit for 10 seconds."

First of all you are incorrect that the game is not about air combos. Become enlightened.

As for the moves:

Afterburner kick is the fastest launch in the game and works on everything in witch time, small things out. Holding it down does extra damage and effects with different weapons.

Heel tornado can stun pretty much anything in its radius. Not half an hour ago I took 1/4 of a life bar off rodin just continuously spamming this move and he couldn't break out of it.

Heel Kick does different effects depending on what weapon you have equipped. With the chainsaws on the feet it turns into a dodge on start up attack with invincibility frames and gives you witch time if you evade an attack with it. The attack itself does a lot of damage. You can also use it to get over behind enemies which is important for some of them since they wont parry from behind. With Undine you get a gigantic weave great for crowd control that splats enemies into the ground for punishment. It also gives you great combo multiplier. With the chain chomp it is the fastest attack that can get out a chain chomp projectile from a standing start. No other attack will kick out a chain chomp "missile" as fast as heel kick.

Tetsuzanko similarly has different effects. Rakshasha does a dodge and attack that gives witch time. Whip does a 360 aoe weave. Shurubra does a decent damage vertical weave that can stun bosses out of their charging attacks. Undine does a dodge and attack that has a weave to boot, which can be cancelled out of pkp to hit them with two weaves simultaneously.

The stinger moves are great for stunning and covering ground and can be done in the air as well.

The crow attacks do great damage. Especially with Rosa where it's the highest damage attack she has in the shortest amount of time.

The only move I don't find much use for is witch twist because it sadly got nerfed. In bayonetta 1 it used to give you a launching weave but it'll only do this in umbran climax. You don't need it in umbran climax though, because afterburner kick will also do a launching weave in umbran climax. So it's kind of pointless now.

I turn off jump and punch because it interferes with jump cancelling air combos.

Having a use doesn't equal necessary. The majority of the techniques and accessories have a use, yes, but the majority are *not* necessary for clearing the Witch Trials; I'd pretty much only say that about Bat Within, since it gives you tons of extra i-frames.

Air combos exist, yes, but unlike DMC they are not a necessary part of the system. I can and have pure platinum'd the majority of verses without jumping. In DMC, I can't think of a fight I *ever* didn't launch and follow up with air combos.

:lol:

The rest of the "rant" was information on what those moves actually do.

It wasn't a rant.

Because your world is idiosyncratic, idealistic, and based on your last response, egocentric.

Your advice is actively harmful to other people.

What works for you does not automatically work for other people.

The accessories and moves make these trials much easier.

You didn't even use them.

You don't know. You are ignorant on the usefulness of all the accessories. You did it the hard way.

Neither did you prove it "false". Supposed does not equal impossible. You did what you weren't supposed to do. It's a remarkable thing, but it doesn't mean much for everyone else.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Alriiight! Got me the Bracelet of Time!

Which basically turns Witch Time into VFX Slow.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Yeah. The trick is staying alive long enough to use it when your normal dodge don't work no more. :)

A really good trick with the bracelet of time though is to do ppppk with kafka chomp and trigger it on the k. Usually enemies will be about to hit you at this point, so you use the bracelet to guarantee they eat all three chomps in the face. This will knock them the hell away from you.

It devastates the human bosses. Really handy for destroying

(Witch trial 5 spoiler)
    Loptr in the fight with the alruane duo. He's made of paper and all three chomps hitting him will take off an entire life bar.

I also once combined whip chomp with bracelt of time in that fight and killed both of them so fast and easy it was fraudulent as fuck.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Well, not having normal Witch Time Dodge is why I combined it with the Evil Harvest Rosary.

...aaaand the Link outfit.

• Options
    Yeah, I switch to that combination when I want to use it. I don't use it all the time though, I like to build up magic first. Some fights are just easier if you dodge and counterattack hard enough without having to worry about meter.

• Options
    True.

I gotta say, though, it is enomrously satisfying to be able to say "Alruna grapple works now".

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Yes. Yes it is.

Btw did you know it works on dizzied enemies? If you hit an enemy fast and hard enough they'll get dizzied. Toss em around as much as you like.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Indeed I did know. That's also quite nice.

• Options
    Are you planning to go back and beat the rest of bayo 1 enlong? It's still a worthwhile game. Non stop infinite climax is very different from infinite climax. Although considering the other differences in the games it's also a little easier for some of the bosses.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Yeah nothing on NSIC in Bayonetta 1 has anything on IC Masked Lumen 3 in Bayonetta 2.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Yep.

He's nearly devil hand kick me run level.

I haven't died that much on a boss in an action game in years.

His defenses are impregnable. His style? Impetuous.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    ...Salamandra has follow up hits? I might actually use them over the Rakashas now.

• Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    I'm enjoying Bayonetta 2 much more than Bayonetta 1

• Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Yeah they just don't work when you're hitting empty air, for some reason.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    That'd be horrible though. They're already pretty slow when there's multiple enemies to fight where other weapons let you finish what you are doing and move on before enemies congregate on you. If they did the long ass animation when you whiffed they'd be crippled.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular

Because your world is idiosyncratic, idealistic, and based on your last response, egocentric.

You don't know. You are ignorant on the usefulness of all the accessories. You did it the hard way.

Neither did you prove it "false". Supposed does not equal impossible. You did what you weren't supposed to do. It's a remarkable thing, but it doesn't mean much for everyone else.

It seems to me the game balance was designed without the artifacts in mind. You're free to use them, but it felt like cheating when I tried them. Also, the ranking in Bayonetta 2 is way too generous IMHO, getting the platinum have stopped feeling like a reward for near perfect play (perfect plats are satisfying though). Harsher penalties for spamming the same combos, and having a concrete incentive (IE. rank) for launching enemies into the air would have been improvements.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Just finished Bayo 1. Hated the motorcycle bits. Loved the rest. Still no idea what the story was. On to Bayo 2!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

As for the moves:

It wasn't a rant.

The game gives you witch trials when you beat the game, and they are fully possible and pretty easy without need for a perfect setup. I would consider that enough to say it's false that you are supposed to grind for them, in that any assumption of developer intent is wrong and actively bad for improving play in any game.

The only way you're supposed to play witch trials is by clearing them. More importantly, not playing to grind is a far slower way to beat them than by just getting good.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    *cough*

Moving on?

Man, the Bracelet of Time + Kafkachomp combo just destroys Young Loptr.

Dunno how much I'll use the Bracelet in my Infinite Climax run (I feel normal Witch Time is more useful in the long run), but it's certainly helping out in these tiny Witch Trial rooms.

• Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular

As for the moves:

It wasn't a rant.

The game gives you witch trials when you beat the game, and they are fully possible and pretty easy without need for a perfect setup. I would consider that enough to say it's false that you are supposed to grind for them, in that any assumption of developer intent is wrong and actively bad for improving play in any game.

The only way you're supposed to play witch trials is by clearing them. More importantly, not playing to grind is a far slower way to beat them than by just getting good.

And you can get through the game purely by using PKP.

Doesn't mean you should.

The game is about exploring the combat system to its fullest.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    I'm not sure what the heck the pre-prologue chapter is supposed to be?
    It appears to be Bayonetta, in her new look, fighting alongside Rosa during the witch hunts, and encountering the Masked Lumen and not knowing who he is

I can think of about 3 ways that makes no sense. At least Bayo 1's pre-prologue chapter was a scene that could exist.

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    *cough*

Moving on?

Quite.
    Man, the Bracelet of Time + Kafkachomp combo just destroys Young Loptr.

Dunno how much I'll use the Bracelet in my Infinite Climax run (I feel normal Witch Time is more useful in the long run), but it's certainly helping out in these tiny Witch Trial rooms.

I didn't use bracelet on my first Infinite Climax run because they're beatable without it and it gives you a baseline to work out how to break them later.

• Options
    Can you open and close the visor on the Samus suit in Bayo 2?

• Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Can you open and close the visor on the Samus suit in Bayo 2?

When I was looking up the unlockables I saw mention that you can. I don't remember how. Maybe D-Pad down?

• Options
    Nah, that's how it was in Bayo 1, but Bayo 2 maps Taunt to D-pad down.

• Options
    Oh, so that's where taunt is. I've been a bit frustrated with the lack of information 2 gives you, for instance I don't remember any mention of panther within, taunting, or target lock. Or an explanation of torture attacks. Probably other stuff too... It's another thing that makes Bayonetta 2 feel more like an expansion of 1 and less like a game that stands on its own, because anyone would be thoroughly lost if they hadn't played 1.

In other news, while trying to find changes made to Bayo 1 for WiiU, to see any new unlockables or whatever, I found people complaining about the framerate drops whenever you dodge. Then someone else said that those framerate drops existed in the 360 version too, and they slow the action down whenever you dodge an attack. People be mad, mad dumb if they can't tell the difference between framerate drops and a slowdown effect.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Erm, the game does tell you about Panther Within. Like, the entire first part of chapter 1, before you go into the tunnel underwater, will have a tutorial text telling you how to do Panther Within if you aren't currently in it, probably so you know how to quickly get around the first, huge, explorable area. Only the first time you play it, which is nice.

Bayo 1 didn't explain lock-on or taunting either, right? Aside from having the lock-on symbol in the combo list, of course.

Enlong on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    The opening tutorial shows you how to lock on.

Then in the first stage you can explore there's a giant 'tap dodge twice for Panther Within!' note hanging in the air the entire time.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    I must have been too busy going into panther form and running around out of sheer joy to be playing Bayonetta again, and not noticed it was trying to tell me something.

• Options
    Fair enough.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    People be mad, mad dumb if they can't tell the difference between framerate drops and a slowdown effect.

rofl

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    unxhixxec7re.jpg
    fpemj40ruep5.jpg

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Oooh, what dress is that?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Gekka.

• Options
    You get various-colored Gekka dresses when you buy the Super Mirror.

So, continuing my Infinite Climax, I used the Time-Chomp shenanigans on Masked Lumen 2, because uuuugh. It was barely a win even then, so I have no qualms about it.

I also learned that Rakshasachomp is another fine combo, as Rakshasa is probably the weapon that gets you to the Chomp flip the fastest.