As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Speed Runs

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I also don't feel my honor threatened by other people having more free time to practice a game over and over, or by them being better than me in general

My LPs were not intended to be a showcase of amazing gaming talent, I was hoping you would take something else entirely away from those experiences

I am glad that those people who practice a game to the point of being able to flawlessly beat it in a ridiculously low time are enjoying themselves, and yeah they should be recognized for their achievements

Me? I like having sex with girls instead

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Ugh. I'd like to watch that HL1 run, but I can't stand first person playthroughs that can't be still during the idle times. Yes, I'm sure you're pumped and excited, but having the camera constantly spin and bob makes for very unpleasant viewing. Not quite as painful as that Portal video I watched where the guy jumped and spammed the gun non-stop whenever an elevator bit came up (and it's Portal, so you spend half your time there).

Glal on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    Ugh. I'd like to watch that HL1 run, but I can't stand first person playthroughs that can't be still during the idle times. Yes, I'm sure you're pumped and excited, but having the camera constantly spin and bob makes for very unpleasant viewing. Not quite as painful as that Portal video I watched where the guy jumped and spammed the gun non-stop whenever an elevator bit came up (and it's Portal, so you spend half your time there).

You mean when he's walking down hallways and stuff?

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    When he's waiting in the chamber for the NPCs to stop yammering and the shitstorm to hit he keeps running around and jumping all over the place. Bunny hopping for speed is fine (and impressive), bunny hopping around the room for a minute straight because there's nothing to do just irritating.

• Options
    Glal wrote: »
    When he's waiting in the chamber for the NPCs to stop yammering and the shitstorm to hit he keeps running around and jumping all over the place. Bunny hopping for speed is fine (and impressive), bunny hopping around the room for a minute straight because there's nothing to do just irritating.

The ADD that leads to that behavior is pretty much what spawned speedrunning in the first place, I think

I have yet to see a single person (myself included) who doesn't spaz out when there's nothing going on

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    The people who do the speedruns are showing their best time from hundreds of trials. Especially in the beginning, when you don't even know if it will be the true run, it's easy to get bored repeating the same delays over and over.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Deus Ex in 43 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srTF560yuXY

Kinda makes you realize how much of what you have to do in the game is solely governed by immersion rather than any gating.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    NobilityV3 on the Pfhorums posted a Durandal speedrun recently. It's only on Kindergarten, but beating the whole game in 30 minutes is still pretty impressive.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toYjANFuJaY

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Speedruns are sick. I'm sorta biased against TAS, I think it's a completely different kind of skill of programming trial and error more than anything. And I love AGDQ, such an awesome event.

If anyone has any questions on making a stream, I stream as a hobby whenever I play teh vidja gaims. There's also a thread somewhere in the depths of the G&T forums that I made during Mario Marathon. I personally don't speed run though.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I watched in awe during AGDQ this past winter, and look forward to the Summer and Winter 2013/2014 events. I've always enjoyed speed run videos, starting years and years ago with Quake Done Quick and their kin.

It can be a nice change of pace from watching/using as background noise videos of Let's Plays or other Playthroughs, but those can be a bit annoying when someone spends like an hour on a section they could've done in 5 minutes.

Exemption to all negativity: @Helloween and such runs. Those were hillarious.

On the other hand, too much bunny hopping and using macros to effectively hit space 400 times per second so you can abuse the physics engine and ride a pop can across the skybox often don't really do it for me either.

My favourite ones are those that are done swiftly and efficiently, but generally without a ton of skipping entire zones, and bonus points if they leave the cinematics in. In my experience, I recognize that this is a pretty rare type, but it's nice to see all the same whenever I stumble across something along those lines.

Generally I look for speed runs of games I enjoyed and want to see how a 'pro' knocks it out in a fraction of the time, or a game I am unlikely to ever play (due to not owning the system it's on or not feeling like spending the time to chew through it) and enjoy seeing it beaten soundly, such as that Super Meat Boy run. A guy did a SMB run during AGDQ while they had some of the guys involved (lead designer or something?) watching along and chatting on the phone or skype or something. They were pretty impressed.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    I remember watching a SGDQ archive 100% run of FF6, and during the donations they got one of those in attendance to read Kefka's lines as Terrance and/or Phillip from South Park. It was amazing.

Also this remains my favourite speed run:

<Half-Hour Half-Life>

I am fond of this one for being nearly as fast but with only one segment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKIpyz0EjuY

Also for some shameless self promotion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfgo6Yco0s0
    (Commentary)

At the very least you should watch Level 8.

The Jedi Knight run was really fun to watch! How similar is the engine to Quake's? The circle jumping or snap jumping seems really similar.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Forar wrote: »

Generally I look for speed runs of games I enjoyed and want to see how a 'pro' knocks it out in a fraction of the time, or a game I am unlikely to ever play (due to not owning the system it's on or not feeling like spending the time to chew through it) and enjoy seeing it beaten soundly, such as that Super Meat Boy run. A guy did a SMB run during AGDQ while they had some of the guys involved (lead designer or something?) watching along and chatting on the phone or skype or something. They were pretty impressed.

The Metroid Prime runs before they discovered how to slip between the physics, the secret worlds or whatever, those are probably going to be my favorites for a long long time.

Any run where they basically trick the game into skipping to the end credits is just dumb. There's an Ocarina of Time one that does this, also Super Metroid, Super Mario World, Chrono Trigger, just tons of them.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

The Metroid Prime runs before they discovered how to slip between the physics, the secret worlds or whatever, those are probably going to be my favorites for a long long time.

Any run where they basically trick the game into skipping to the end credits is just dumb. There's an Ocarina of Time one that does this, also Super Metroid, Super Mario World, Chrono Trigger, just tons of them.

OoT All Medallions is a pretty entertaining run, even though it ends with a warp to the credits. I posted Cosmo's explained video of it earlier in the thread.

Amnesia The Dark Descent is hilariously silly because of how easy it is to get/fall out of bounds all over the place. You're hardly in bounds for the majority of the run.

• Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    Jutranjo wrote: »
    The Jedi Knight run was really fun to watch! How similar is the engine to Quake's? The circle jumping or snap jumping seems really similar.

Thanks!

It's actually a completely different engine that only showed up in a few games. Snap jumping in JK is a bit different from strafe jumping in Quake. With a snap jump in JK you're not actually gaining any horizontal speed over your normal land speed, you're just executing a very tight turn without losing any speed. So you can run along a narrow rail and jump at full speed at a 90° angle from it.

Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Also, just so you guys know, there's gonna be another Games Done Quick marathon fairly soon. Those of you who took a liking to the format after Awesome Games Done Quick would be pleasantly surprised to find out that Speed-Demos Archive will be holding a Summer Games Done Quick stream event. Dates aren't quite nailed down yet, but if you're interested in seeing some speedrunning spectacles and general stream madness, stay updated on their plans and schedules.

http://marathon.speeddemosarchive.com/
    Next Marathon

The next SDA Marathon will be Summer Games Done Quick 2013. The marathon is still in the early planning stages, so stayed tuned. More information can be found in the Upcoming section of the site once the marathon exits its planning stages.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

I think there's a place both for any% runs that don't significantly exploit glitches, and runs that also completely break the game to skip to credits. Glitch abuse gives us stuff like this bit of amazingness... it's not actually a completion run, but the same glitch was exploited to "beat" the game in roughly a minute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNPisyK43Lc

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Zephiran wrote: »
    Also, just so you guys know, there's gonna be another Games Done Quick marathon fairly soon. Those of you who took a liking to the format after Awesome Games Done Quick would be pleasantly surprised to find out that Speed-Demos Archive will be holding a Summer Games Done Quick stream event. Dates aren't quite nailed down yet, but if you're interested in seeing some speedrunning spectacles and general stream madness, stay updated on their plans and schedules.

Next Marathon

The next SDA Marathon will be Summer Games Done Quick 2013. The marathon is still in the early planning stages, so stayed tuned. More information can be found in the Upcoming section of the site once the marathon exits its planning stages.

SGDQ starts July 25th.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I used to time trial Mario Kart 64 pretty obsessively. Unfortunately, I'm not good enough at vidya games in general to be a true master.

www.mariokart64.com

The world records are gross. Gross, I tell you.

Griswold on
    FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    I just watched the VVVVVV and SMB speedruns, and my brain literally refused to believe what my eyes think they just witnessed.

That's definitely my favorite type of speedrun. It's all well and good to be able to grind a game's code up into a fine powder, but that's a skill completely unrelated to the intended gameplay. What really impresses me is when you're just so goddamned good at a game that it doesn't seem physically possible for you to be doing the things you're doing (i.e. those VVVVVV and SMB runs).

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I remember spending forever trying to get that shortcut in Mario Kart 64 to work on Mario's course, where you hop off the hill over the brick wall? It was tough as hell but when I managed to do it?

Good times.

The amount of ridiculous wall jumping you can do in that game is kind of funny looking back. Like, if we're playing friendly races and someone picks Wario Stadium we all have to swear to no shortcuts.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Lee_SDA's Yoshi's Island Any% Warp run got added to the Twitch archives recently.

http://www.twitch.tv/megamarathon/b/407760802

The video is huge and spans several days worth of streaming, but his run starts about 73 hours and 53 minutes in. Observe the swag. Worship it.

EDIT:

And now there's a much more convenient Youtube link as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmGn9sxCUgY

Zephiran on

• Options

Next Marathon

SGDQ starts July 25th.

And I just found out there's a schedule for it too!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Alb3Dj0u13H7dDJjcjdCR0s3OW4xZGRTeFhsRkdvdlE#gid=0

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    That list looks pretty serious. Should be fun to watch.

• Options

Next Marathon

SGDQ starts July 25th.

And I just found out there's a schedule for it too!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Alb3Dj0u13H7dDJjcjdCR0s3OW4xZGRTeFhsRkdvdlE#gid=0

Oh God, Quest 64! Bible Adventures! Secret of Evermore!

I need to watch these things happen.

• Options
    There is a smaller marathon happening right now called the SRG Marathon that runs from the 31st to the 3rd. You can watch it here and the schedule is here.

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Deus Ex in 43 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srTF560yuXY

Kinda makes you realize how much of what you have to do in the game is solely governed by immersion rather than any gating.

Holy shit, that part where he used the cigarettes to kill himself in Paul's apartment had me in awe. I was wondering why he was running around with such low health prior to that.

Aaallll part of the plaaaan...

• Options
    Was just wandering around youtube and decided to watch a TAS of Secret of Mana.

To me, this is an awesome speed run because it breaks down a lot of what's going on WHILE it's going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEMssepnNJc

Sure he uses bugs to skip some stuff, which I normally don't like compared to using bugs to beat stuff, but the constant breakdown of how he's manipulating the RNG and the in-game mechanics is fascinating.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Hi thread, I haven't forgotten you. Are you guys ready for the fastest Half-Life 2 speed run?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NV-AWxqYAgc

• Options
    Wtf, those backwards jumps...

• Options
    “To prevent bunny hopping, valve created a system where repeated jumping should slow you down. Unfortunately they implemented it by applying a force on you in a direction opposite to the way you’re facing, not the way you’re going. So by bunny hopping backwards, you can accumulate ridiculous momentum.”

• Options
    Basically over the course of that speed run Gordon realizes he's in the Matrix.

• Options
    The scripted Half-Life 2 run has apparently been in the works for ages. It was worth it.

In other news, ESA starts on July 15th. It's basically the European version of AGDQ/SGDQ. Speaking of which...SGDQ starts on July 25th! The schedule can be found here.

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    I remember watching a SGDQ archive 100% run of FF6, and during the donations they got one of those in attendance to read Kefka's lines as Terrance and/or Phillip from South Park. It was amazing.

Also this remains my favourite speed run:

<Half-Hour Half-Life>

I am fond of this one for being nearly as fast but with only one segment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKIpyz0EjuY

Also for some shameless self promotion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfgo6Yco0s0
    (Commentary)

At the very least you should watch Level 8.
    Oh wow, didn't see this back when it was posted. Pretty tremendous. Makes me remember how amazing this game is too. Huge sprawling levels that you could explore in any order, the lightsaber, all the Force powers... great stuff. And that falling ship level, oh man. Killing the last two bosses with a bunch of explosives is hilarious. I'll have to watch it a second time through with your commentary - I didn't get the trickery you did with the buttons in the temple in the Valley.

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    The watercraft bits around the 16:00-20:00 mark involves some truly impressive jumping to skip large bits of the level.

• Options
    Wow, Jedi Knight. Mine stacking means wrecking bosses. NOTED.

• Options
    I'm putting off watching that HL2 speedrun until they release the Insane Quality 60FPS version.

Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    Time to resurrect this thread:

As the title stated, the European Speedster Assembly 2013 has begun and will be going for a full week.

Catch it here:

The schedule is there: http://www.europeanspeedsterassembly.com/pdf/schedule.pdf

• Options
    The 60FPS version of the new HL2 speedrun is out. The road sections were super-crazy; I was singing "I believe I can fly" to my friend while watching them.

• Options
    Almost done watching this but last year some guys at SA did a race to beat Super Metroid. It's fascinating how in sync they all get with each other, despite each of them having moments where they pull ahead by a huge margin (well, huge in speed-run terms).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLPVrm10d-Q

• Options
    So, the top time in Mega Man Unlimited was posted by 'HTRB' which I can only imagine was none other than Hotarubi. If so, that's pretty awesome!

JKKaAGp.png