As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mirror's Edge 2 | Gamespot CE Comes With a Free Copy of Not the Game

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Faith needs to learn how to use the guns as a club, cause that's all they should be good for.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    As long as there are doors to shoulder barge through then I'll be happy.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    The video description on Youtube calls it an origin story. I'm still excited, but I think I like the idea of Kate becoming a runner like Faith more.

I mean, you could have had the first level be right after the end of Mirror's Edge with the tutorial being Faith telling Kate how to run good.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Guns aren't innately bad for what Mirror's Edge is. The issue was in the last game any combat was completely flow breaking and didn't fit with the rest of the game. I'd like it if for the most part it's baton and pistol cops with the occassional full auto threat WHO YOU CANT FUCK WITH IN ANYWAY EXCEPT RUNNING.

Whether or not it's innately bad, yeah, the dumb 'arena' segments where you had almost no choice but to pretend you're playing Doom with bad gunplay just took me right out of the game. I almost stopped playing entirely after the first one.

If you're going to include guns and have the police act like the LAPD, fine - but I'd like something other than some quicktime disarms. Why not have the guys shoot at you as part of a complex bullet-time puzzle / acrobatics sequence? It would fit the theme better, it wouldn't break-up the sense of momentum that's the core of the experience and it would be more fun!

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Guns in the game wasn't the problem; the problem was locking you in a room with people you had to take out, like a dungeon room in Zelda.
    There's actually a lot of scope for using guns to add to the game, if it were done right.
    Picture this; you're being chased through some office building, you turn a corner, and there's a cop right in front of you. You charge, disarming him before he can bring his gun to bear, and running off before he knows what's happened (a disarm that lets you keep your momentum is what I'm thinking here. Maybe taking their gun but leaving them standing to chase you or something as a payoff).
    You can now:
    shoot locks out on doors,
    shoot the glass on opposite balconies so you can climb through them,
    shoot a fire extinguisher to give yourself a smokescreen,
    or (assuming we're following 007 rules on what shooting something can do) shoot a smoke detector to set off the fire alarm and the sprinklers (confusing the cops following you, and hampering their aim through the water).
    It's still using guns, but it's using them as an optional tool to help advance the main goal; moving towards your objective or away from your enemies.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Peewi wrote: »
    The video description on Youtube calls it an origin story. I'm still excited, but I think I like the idea of Kate becoming a runner like Faith more.

I mean, you could have had the first level be right after the end of Mirror's Edge with the tutorial being Faith telling Kate how to run good.

That depends on if EA thinks people will mind playing as Kate rather than Faith/if EA thinks people gave a shit about the incredibly poorly written story and characters from the first game.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    imperialparadoximperialparadox Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I loved this game - I don't really get the point of rebooting a one-off game, so I hope it's really just a prequel or something.

I ended up having to use guns at one point, because the game seemed to force you to as certain segments were very frustrating otherwise. However, like pretty much everyone else that talks about this game, I would like the gunplay to just be taken out. Do this EA. I know you won't, but do it anyways.

Actually, taking the guns out of the gameplay would probably make more sense in the Mirror's Edge's world anyways. I could easily imagine them being tied to the owning officer via biometric locks, which would quite literally reduce the guns to nothing more than clubs for Faith. It seems like such restrictions would fit the game's theme better.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo Network ID: imperialparadox | 3DS FC: 2294-4029-6793
    XBL Gamertag: Paradox3351 | PSN: imperialparadox
  • Options
    They want this game to sell; they're not gonna remove the guns. They;ll just try hard to make them more competent/make the world feel like guns fit better.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I honestly didn't mind guns that much in the first. I liked disarming guards in between parkour sessions.

• Options
    Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    Mirror's Edge 2 and Kingdom Hearts 3 in one day? Am I dreaming?

Please tell me it's not Xbone exclusive. Please god.

• Options
    Nope! Coming out on pretty much everything.

• Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, I cannot wait for this. Mirror's Edge is one of my favorite games, but it was clear that EA had absolutely no idea how to market it, so it went basically nowhere. That's the problem with new IPs and bold steps forward in game design -- ad execs have no idea how to sell something they've never sold before, which is why every promo for ME has Faith holding a gun or wall-jump-kicking a security guard in the face when 99% of the gameplay experience involves moving fluidly through the environment in the quickest, most efficient way possible, and has little-to-nothing to do with combat.

I'm glad they're giving it another shot, and I seriously hope they do more with the setting this time. Its like, "So the game takes place in this dystopian near-future where an oppressive government has clamped down and restricted the freedoms of its citizens, and there's this underground network of runners who oppose them by carrying information through heavily protected areas of the cities". Sounds cool; its a shame they didn't do anything with it. Visually, the game's amazing, but there's literally nobody in the city except for runners and security. Who are these people we're supposed to be helping? Why do we want to help them? What's the government doing that's so oppressive? I mean, you don't even do any runs for the network except for the first mission, and even then you hand off your package to another runner and never get to see who its helping or what it was.

Let's hope they learned from their mistakes the first time. I cannot wait for the next Mirror's Edge.

milk ducks on
  • Options
    Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Nope! Coming out on pretty much everything.
    YES YES YES YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »

That depends on if EA thinks people will mind playing as Kate rather than Faith/if EA thinks people gave a shit about the incredibly poorly written story and characters from the first game.

I'm not saying that has any real chance of happening. It's an idea I heard before people caught on to it being a prequel/reboot and now I kind of want that.

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    How does this game exist. That's the question.

There was no Earthly reason for EA to finance this. Someone at DICE sucked so much dick to get this into production. I bet making Battlefront is their way of paying for it.

• Options
    The_Scarab wrote: »

There was no Earthly reason for EA to finance this. Someone at DICE sucked so much dick to get this into production. I bet making Battlefront is their way of paying for it.

Probably.

"EA we want to make another Mirror's Edge."
    "No. The last one wasn't that popular."
    "Okay, how about this. We'll make Battlefront for you. Not only will we make it, but it'll probably be better than the last two. And since it's Star Wars, it'll sell like crackjacks with the added bonus of positive reviews. Then let us make another Mirror's Edge."
    "I want your first born too."
    "Deal."

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Dunno, ME always struck me as having enough of a cult following that it'd probably be fairly easy to get hype surrounding a sequel to it marketting wise.

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    also keep in mind that a ton of the initial criticism of the first game centered around its $60 release price

it's not a long game. it's a great game, it's a promising game, but many people felt that they could get much more for their 60 bucks than 6 hours of parkour. that's a HUGE reason why it didn't sell too well - when your consumer can spend 60 bucks on a short parkour game OR the same amount of money on, say, skyrim...

i think this time around, they're going to make it a lot longer.

a lot of people have picked up the game during steam sales for 15 bucks or so, and found it to be an absolute delight.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    Dunno, ME always struck me as having enough of a cult following that it'd probably be fairly easy to get hype surrounding a sequel to it marketting wise.

Yeah but cult followings don't sell nearly as well as mass followings. I mean, strictly speaking from EA's point of view, I could understand the business decision to ignore a guaranteed but small profit for a guaranteed and much larger profit. Even if the latter wasn't as good of a game.

• Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    I should go back and finish the first one. It was pretty fun, and pretty too!

I'm also hoping it ends up being more open world. Even if you're stuck in a multi-building complex that you're travelling about, it would make the game much more interesting.

IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I would see open world being really hard to do without making it kind of cheesy.

Just random sacks of cement and and leaned over two by fours everywhere.

Not saying it couldn't be done but it's a lot trickier when the character doesn't have abilities outside the theoretical human norm.

Quid on
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    also keep in mind that a ton of the initial criticism of the first game centered around its $60 release price

it's not a long game. it's a great game, it's a promising game, but many people felt that they could get much more for their 60 bucks than 6 hours of parkour. that's a HUGE reason why it didn't sell too well - when your consumer can spend 60 bucks on a short parkour game OR the same amount of money on, say, skyrim...

i think this time around, they're going to make it a lot longer.

a lot of people have picked up the game during steam sales for 15 bucks or so, and found it to be an absolute delight.

I spent probably a hundred hours on Mirror's Edge time trials, man.

That shit is hard.

• Options

The first game made money and created a successful IP franchise. There's no reason not to follow it up, basically.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »

The first game made money and created a successful IP franchise. There's no reason not to follow it up, basically.
    EA seems to be a bit better than many other AAA studios when ti comes to understanding that a game doesn't have to make $14 million and sell 8 copies plus day 1 DLC to literally everyone on Earth for it to be a success. They seem willing to stick with stuff like Dead Space and Mirror's Edge when other publishers would look at them and say "well if this can't beat ever sales record ever then we're fucked."

• Options
    edited June 2013
    EA seems to be a bit better than many other AAA studios when ti comes to understanding that a game doesn't have to make $14 million and sell 8 copies plus day 1 DLC to literally everyone on Earth for it to be a success. They seem willing to stick with stuff like Dead Space and Mirror's Edge when other publishers would look at them and say "well if this can't beat ever sales record ever then we're fucked."

While that's true, I think there's some confusion over Mirror's Edge's actual success: that is, it did quite well for itself. Anyone who had the unrealistic expectation of it meeting sales parity with Call of Dudebro was kidding themselves, and EA certainly didn't; they put on the shelf at the same time that CoD was being released hoping to increase exposure & sell it almost as a companion game to anyone that bought CoD at a discount or with a trade-in (which is why I agree absolutely agree with anyone who says it shouldn't have had a 60 dollar price tag, but whatever - it still sold).

It performed 'as expected' for a new IP- not exceptional, not bad.

EDIT: Just checked actual figures; it sold over 2 million worldwide, and about 750,000 in North America. When you consider the scope of the game & the relatively low development cost for a triple A title, that's a decent score.

Also, speaking of scores, holy Hell how has this thread not yet mentioned the music for ME yet? Because I still , to this day, use 'Still Alive' as pump-up & work-out music.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    The_Scarab wrote: »

A new generation of hardware is a chance to release a new IP (or re-release an IP in this case).

EDIT: Also they need to show off Frostbite with something that ain't an FPS.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Also, speaking of scores, holy Hell how has this thread not yet mentioned the music for ME yet? Because I still , to this day, use 'Still Alive' as pump-up & work-out music.

Someone on the last page lauded the soundtrack.

Aside from Still Alive remixes, this was always my favorite. I also loved the beginning of this level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1gOBgLVgZo

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS GAME IS SO GREAT

except the story and the forced combat i guess, also I didn't like the flash animated cutscenes

BUT CHRIST

The music, the colors, the graphics, Faith, the parkour, the shoes, the puzzle/racing, the way DICE apparently has a bunch of amazing architects employed as level designers...

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular

They'll still complain about how their disappointed it didn't sale 5 bazillion though.

• Options
    Well to be fair I'm disappointed too.

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    the puzzle music was always great

really fantastic ambient stuff

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Wanting to replay this now

• Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    This is the only non-Nintendo/Wii U game besides Kingdom Hearts 3 that I'm really excited for. I don't care if it's a remake or reboot or prequel. Just give me some awesome levels to run through... and a no gun mode.

Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    So goddamned excited for this.

The original holds a special place in my heart. I had just finally claimed victory in a hard fought time-trial when my wife went into labor with our first son. I'll never forget that roller coaster of emotions.

Just like pretty much everyone else, I avoided shooting in the first one. But I didn't mine the inclusion of enemies with guns. There are few things as satisfying as disarming an assault rifle and lodging it in the former owner's face without ever breaking stride.

I've never pre-ordered a game before in my life, but as soon as the PC version is announced I'll be hitting that button. In fact, I think I may go make an Origin account right now just to speed up the process.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Just like pretty much everyone else, I avoided shooting in the first one. But I didn't mine the inclusion of enemies with guns. There are few things as satisfying as disarming an assault rifle and lodging it in the former owner's face without ever breaking stride.

Well, here's the thing: for me, the firearm & martial arts sequences fundamentally break with the central theme. The self-defense branch of parkour (and it's a sport with a lot of branches) has it's roots in saying, "Most modern 'self-defense' classes are horseshit. Violently escalating a dangerous situation is not conducive to keeping yourself safe, and pretending that a 130 lb victim of an assault is going to be able to disable a 260 lb attacker with magical Bullshido techniques is nonsense. Taking money from someone to teach them said techniques is fraudulent. The best way to get out of danger is to put distance between yourself and the danger, and we're going to teach people how to do that."

It just chaps my ass that DICE either couldn't be bothered to do some rudimentary research into self-defense branches of parkour, or did do the research and thought, "Eh, whatever. It's a game so we'll tack-on guns & punching."

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    the yellow and white building where you climb up to the sniper rifle is amazing. as is the completely dazzlingly orange warehouse with sun streaming through the skylight. now i have to play this game again. thanks, pricks

• Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    Mirror's Edge was pretty hit and miss for me in it's execution, but I loved the aesthetic and the idea behind it.

Can't wait for ME2

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    I hope they replace those ugly cutscenes. It's such a stylish game, I want them to stick with something more artistic than CG, just...better art.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    It wasn't even a bad style to use for the cutscenes, they were just amazingly shoddy. They were seriously something a high-schooler with flash could have cooked up.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I loved the parkour mechanics, style, and art.

I hope the trailer is just shooting for excitement and that the actual gameplay will be just trying to get through areas quickly, fluidly, and with freakin' sweet music and maybe something chasing you so you go faster.