As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Metroid] - I heard the next game is a monologue about misogyny. Oh wait.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »
    Arteen wrote: »
    Her poor spine.

i0kNJDmfgsuxv.jpg

Speaking of vacuum-sealed clothing... Is there a name for ab-wedgies?

I imagine Captain Falcon as the type of guy to wear a jacket with ab-shaped padding.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I would imagine a realistic version of Samus in her zero suit would look rather like Meredith Vickers in Prometheus

xi9y89qygvwv.jpeg

Actual form fitting fabric. Not painted on space latex from the lizard hindbrain of a 14 year old boy.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Pretty sure lizards don't have any desire for boobs. That's more of a mammalian thing.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    It's a videogame lizard brain, so definitely boobs.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    It's fanservice, is that really a big deal? Yes, if there was an entire game made around it, then I'd be upset. However, this is an optional skin in a game you don't have to use.

Keep in mind, I was one of the biggest detractors for Other M and what it did to Samus, but this doesn't really bug me. I don't think it's great, I just don't.. care?

• Options
    It's a videogame lizard brain, so definitely boobs.

I figure Argonians are mammals with scales.

• Options
    MrMiscreantMrMiscreant Mean motor scooter Hiding in the back seat of your carRegistered User regular
    and that's exactly why samus suite is ridiculous.

That's also a matter of art style. Mario in a speedo would be grotesque because he's a deformed gnome, not because he's male. A better example would be Little Mac.

Anyway, Samus's suit is comparable to what someone like Ronda Rousey wears, so it seems pretty reasonable to me.

244.jpg

LIVE: CitizenZero
    PSN: CitizenXero
    NNID: TheFennec
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Uh, it does not matter if female MMA fighters dress that way.

What matters is that in this game, like so many other games, only the women are showing skin (for the sole purpose of arousal, I might add)

It's horribly one sided, and feeds the belief that women exist for men.

This, combined with Nintendo's terribleness with Other M, makes people nervous. Very nervous.

• Options
    JishianJishian ◥▶◀◤ Registered User regular

What matters is that in this game, like so many other games, only the women are showing skin (for the sole purpose of arousal, I might add)

This, combined with Nintendo's terribleness with Other M, makes people nervous. Very nervous.

Only the men have nipples on their costumes it is one sided, like nipples only exist for Mute City crowds. Rise up, Tumblr

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    the questions is

is that outfit supposed to be an honest depiction of a man mma fighter

-or-

something that's designed for tintellation

given that this is a series that features the zero suit and has a tradition of showing a woman in increasing stages of undress as a reward and involves giant space dragons, I don't really believe that authenticy was a motivation

edit: an mma fighter goddam autocorrect

Zxerol on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Jishian wrote: »

Only the men have nipples on their costumes it is one sided, like nipples only exist for Mute City crowds. Rise up, Tumblr

Male nipples on rubber suits don't titillate anyone

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

It takes all kinds.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

It takes all kinds.

Okay, I'm sure it titillates someone

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    It is kinda tough to make a guy show skin in a video game and have it be an asset

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    the questions is

is that outfit supposed to be an honest depiction of a man fighter

-or-

something that's designed for tintellation

given that this is a series that features the zero suit and has a tradition of showing a woman in increasing stages of undress as a reward and involves giant space dragons, I don't really believe that authenticy was a motivation

Is it though?

In the original Metroid it was there as a surprise reveal "Samus was a woman all along!". And I wanna say that "showing a woman in increasing stages of undress" isn't right either. Usually it's either Samus in her bikini or in her suit, no "stripping" in-between.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    and that's exactly why samus suite is ridiculous.

That's also a matter of art style. Mario in a speedo would be grotesque because he's a deformed gnome, not because he's male. A better example would be Little Mac.

Anyway, Samus's suit is comparable to what someone like Ronda Rousey wears, so it seems pretty reasonable to me.

244.jpg

so sexism and ableism
    yay

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Hmm. I came into the thread expecting new Metroid news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkIZR-CE3iY

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    People should stop Malkoviching. Samus does not require your authorization to bare her midriff.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Samus is not a real person. She was made by men, and it's pretty obvious she was made for men. With all the connotations and problems that can possibly entail.

• Options
    Because obviously only men like attractive women.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    The primary demographic for sexualized women is men, yes.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    People should stop Malkoviching. Samus does not require your authorization to bare her midriff.
    Oi. Instead of blowing up this thread, maybe just go read this one.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    It'd be really great if we could have some new Metroid news that wasn't just more sexism

really great

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Well I finally got around to playing Metroid II on 3DS virtual console. The small screen ratio of the game boy makes this game feel cramped, compared to playing Super Metroid, or even Metroid I. Like Samus takes up a good amount of screen.

• Options
    The Sauce wrote: »
    Oi. Instead of blowing up this thread, maybe just go read this one.

I was responding to something in this thread specifically, but thanks for the tip, mod!

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Is Ronda Rounsey's top vacuum-sealed? Does she fight in heels?

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Those are just reskins of the normal ZSS model. The original art is more realistic.

If you have to blame something, blame finite art resources.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    I think I'm going to blame the art direction for the normal ZSS model

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    Metroid Fusion is the best Metroid.

I really mean it.

It's a solid game.

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Those are just reskins of the normal ZSS model. The original art is more realistic.

If you have to blame something, blame finite art resources.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3Ww0Wf0K-U

Meet Samus!

...Well, the most important parts of Samus, anyway.

No, I don't think it's a problem with 'finite art resources'.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »
    Metroid Fusion is the best Metroid.

I really mean it.

It's a solid game.

It's a really good Metroid. The best? That's debatable.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I do love me some Fusion. It's either that or Super Metroid for me.

• Options
    I'm not sure which Metroid is my favorite, but I like Zero Mission a lot more than Fusion. It's easier to pick up after a long absence and just start playing than Super Metroid for me too.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    It'd be really great if we could have some new Metroid news that wasn't just more sexism

really great

It'll happen eventually

I mean

It has to

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    Man, what's with all this 2D Metroid? Prime is clearly the best

Well, it's my favorite

Love them scans, 2D Metroid don't got no scans

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »

really great

It'll happen eventually

I mean

It has to

Someday we'll get a new game, and then we'll talk about that. And then it'll get back to sexism. It's a cycle.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Man

Do you have any idea how happy I would be to stop feeling like I need to talk about this shit regarding Metroid

If they put out another game that treated her as well as Prime did, I would be happy as a clam for years, and feel little need to bring stuff up except in an ancillary way until such time as they messed it up again

I don't talk about sexism and the like because it's fun

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    No more metroids metroid is dead move on

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    No more metroids metroid is dead move on

Yeah, he died at the end of Super Metroid.

(Samus really isn't good at naming things)

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Fusion nailed the controls, and the SA-X was a fun aspect, but the atmosphere and world design just don't measure up to Super Metroid.

Also, the lack of same side wall jump and crystal flash irked me.

This discussion has been closed.