As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who]: "...the clock is striking Twelve's."

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I'm still seeing speculation around that Clara is River.

I think, at this point, we're past any 'mystery' around Clara. Clara is just Clara.

Who just so happens to have one of the (the?) best companion character arcs and growth in the shows history.

Can't that be enough?

I don't really get it either. Despite multiple seasons worth of evidence that the answer to the questions that get raised is always the dumbest/easiest one possible, some people still like to think this is the X-Files or something and that everything is a mystery wrapped in an enigma for some weird fucking reason.
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    John Simm... He was shooting lightning from his hands... It was so stupid.

And the Everyone is the Master thing was also incredibly silly.

Thankfully, I wasn't going in expecting much. I had given up on RTD-written finales a long time ago.

You're watching a show about an immortal alien in a time travelling police box. im not sure why you think the master stuff was somehow too silly.

The former does not prevent the latter from being a legitimate complaint. Even in a show like this some sort of internal consistency is still important.
    Bethryn wrote: »
    My biggest problem with Danny was that he was a Gary Stu.

He was incredibly patient and understanding, great with kids and well regarded among his peers, ridiculously heroic gymnast, with a dark past full of tragedy, who then gets binned to spur our heroine into the plot for the finale.

It was a bit silly. Amy and Rory and even Rose and Micky both had much more humanised flaws to them.

That's definitely a big part of it, combined with him snapping at the Doctor for bullshit reasons. He was basically a complete fucking asshole to the Doc and somehow we're supposed to like this guy? He wasn't a character, he was a plot device, an excuse for things to happen.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I was really kinda disappointed they didn't run with Clara being the Doctor. Even if at the end it turned out to be some really elaborate ruse planned between the two of them. The fact they built it up for ages and it turned out to be a quick one second lie was a big let down.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    They didn't build it up for ages. It was a line in the trailer they slipped in to tease people.

• Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    And then continued on with having her eyes in the opening credits for... some reason.

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    Guys, I think Clara may be the Rani.

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I gotta be honest, I'm probably one of the few who was confused by that joke. The "I am the Doctor" line was fine, bit of a callback to Flatline, and a pretty genius escape plan. Going a step further and changing the title sequence? Eh. Maybe if they were actually going to do something with said joke.

I realize it would have been next to impossible to do, or require severe editing and scene rejiggering, but that joke would have made a lot more sense in Flatline, when she was technically "The Doctor".

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular

I think, at this point, we're past any 'mystery' around Clara. Clara is just Clara.

Who just so happens to have one of the (the?) best companion character arcs and growth in the shows history.

Can't that be enough?

it would if it were true.

• Options
    Quical wrote: »
    And then continued on with having her eyes in the opening credits for... some reason.

It was a joke and also expert trolling of Whovians who think everyone is really someone else.

It was never going to be a real thing and anyone disappointed that it wasn't should have a long, hard think about how dumb that would have been. Because it would have been so dumb.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »

Can't that be enough?

I don't really get it either. Despite multiple seasons worth of evidence that the answer to the questions that get raised is always the dumbest/easiest one possible, some people still like to think this is the X-Files or something and that everything is a mystery wrapped in an enigma for some weird fucking reason.

Thankfully, I wasn't going in expecting much. I had given up on RTD-written finales a long time ago.

You're watching a show about an immortal alien in a time travelling police box. im not sure why you think the master stuff was somehow too silly.

The former does not prevent the latter from being a legitimate complaint. Even in a show like this some sort of internal consistency is still important.

He was incredibly patient and understanding, great with kids and well regarded among his peers, ridiculously heroic gymnast, with a dark past full of tragedy, who then gets binned to spur our heroine into the plot for the finale.

It was a bit silly. Amy and Rory and even Rose and Micky both had much more humanised flaws to them.

That's definitely a big part of it, combined with him snapping at the Doctor for bullshit reasons. He was basically a complete fucking asshole to the Doc and somehow we're supposed to like this guy? He wasn't a character, he was a plot device, an excuse for things to happen.

His entire exposure to the Doctor is him consistently insulting his intelligence due to his soldier background, and then turning out to be the guy his girlfriend lies to him to be with. Danny Pink was an asshole to the Doctor but The Doctor was an asshole to Danny first. The Dr was still calling the poor bastard 'PE' in the final scene! That was harsh.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I would like to think that the Brigadier was thinking, "Oh. I knew it was you again. You bastard.", when he saw the Doctor at the end of the episode.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »

Can't that be enough?

His entire exposure to the Doctor is him consistently insulting his intelligence due to his soldier background, and then turning out to be the guy his girlfriend lies to him to be with. Danny Pink was an asshole to the Doctor but The Doctor was an asshole to Danny first. The Dr was still calling the poor bastard 'PE' in the final scene! That was harsh.

They were assholes to each other, yeah. And the Doctor did start it. And Danny continued it, even in world ending situations. But I'm pretty sure in the final scene "PE" wasn't a final shot in the war, but a not quite affectionate nickname.

• Options
    There are many doctors who sitting on strike because they have some issues related to their hospitals but they should understand that their first duty is to examine the patient and rest of their issues is after that.

I guess the plural of Doctor Who would be Doctors Who.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Today we live in the world where it is accepted by the people that doctor is god on earth because they save the lives of the people.

That is a theme that has been explored, certainly.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Oh by the way Big bang Theory is getting a lego set before Dr.Who.

I dont hate the show that much but Fuck you Lego

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular

You mean I can pop off the heads of the Big Bang theory cast and replace them with anything else?

I might have to do some parody Lego videos after all.

• Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    Two-minute clip from the Christmas special was released for Children In Need! :biggrin:

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Two-minute clip from the Christmas special was released for Children In Need! :biggrin:

Ok, that's just weird.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I like tangerines

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    I like tangerines

No, he was right.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Isn't the Dr. Who license for building kits already owned by some Lego knockoff?
    I don't know what the license agreements are, but I'd imagine that since there's already a company making Dr. Who pseudo-Legos, our chances of Dr. Who (real)Legos are pretty small, regardless of how many Cuusoo votes they get.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I imagine there's a loophole like they can't make playsets but a " Collectors set" would be fine. They said they're looking into it.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    Al_wat wrote: »
    I like tangerines

No, he was right.

We always got a Terry's Chocolate Orange instead. The only place for vitamin C at Christmas is in your breakfast glass of buck's fizz.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    We call them satsumas. Which confuses the hell out of all the Japanese people I know from the Satsuma region.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Who *doesn't* like tangerines? They're like oranges with a more user-friendly learning curve.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Thirith wrote: »
    Who *doesn't* like tangerines? They're like oranges with a more user-friendly learning curve.

It's pronounced saTSUma.

I want to talk about this week's episode but I can't!

Xmas Spec:
    I am surprised to see Clara in the Xmas special though. And I swear I haven't been bitten by the Whovian 'Everyone is someone else' bug, but I wonder if Santa is connected to the Meddling Monk, The Mind Robber, or the Land of Fiction?

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Land_of_Fiction

poshniallo on
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Your mother's a saTSUma.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Thirith wrote: »
    Your mother's a saTSUma.

Well my wife's people are from there originally...

But not my mum.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Xmas Ponderance:
    It seems like Santa's gonna be some kind of fake out. The trailer implied, to me, that there's some kind of psychic alien floating around who probably manifests as Santa and Co.

Or it's real Santa and we'll run with it.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    The above: Of course it's the first or something like it. i don't think they're THAT corny quite yet. Well, they could be, but...

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Santa is the Master.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Surely he's the Valeyard.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    santa is the doctor

the doctor is the master

and bob's your uncle

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Santa is the kid Danny sent back.
    He's giving Clara and the Doctor a Christmas present by reuniting them.
    Then Tony Robinson finds the TARDIS on an archaeological dig in London.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Santa is a Realistic Action Niceness Implement

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Santa is a Realistic Action Niceness Implement

I see what you did there.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    So, I finally finished the new season, a few weeks late.

I've been disappointed. It's like they forgot how to write a good ending to an episode.

1. Into The Dalek. Aside from the fact that nothing about the inside of the Dalek made sense, from the radiation leak making him 'good' to the antibodies to the way Clara reconnected the memories, the climax of the episode was the Doctor turning a Dalek good by showing him a video of a supernova.

2. Robot of Sherwood. The ship lifted off with 88% of fuel needed, and the one golden arrow pushed it to 100%, meaning about an arrow's worth of gold is 12% and the entire ship could be powered by 8 or 9 of those. The Sheriff didn't need to be an evil over-taxing tyrant to get such a small quantity of gold. Also, the entire failed lift-off could have been avoided if the Sheriff had used precious jewels (which the episode made clear he was collecting and then discarding) instead of gold as the prize for the competition. And don't get me started on how stupid powering a spaceship by shooting an arrow at the hull is.

3. Listen. So, wait, Clara can fly the TARDIS to Gallifrey somehow? It's not locked out outside the universe or whatever anymore? Or are there Time Lords outside of Gallifrey who were spared the war and can still be visited by the Doctor? If that's the case, what was the big deal about him being the Last One about? And how does the episode plot about Dany's time-travelling great-grandson work now that we know Clara and Dany Pink won't be having any descendents?

4. Time Heist. So these telepathic creatures are so dangerous they have to be kept in stasis and in a straitjacket, but at the same time can just be kept conscious and chained in a corner of your office? Also, the disintegrators turned out to be teleporters allowing them in and out of the bank's underground levels. So why didn't they do that in the first place, instead of the big complicated plan to go in through the front door that "killed" two of them?

5. The Caretaker. The Doctor's plan to defeat a killer robot that will annihilate everything in its path is... to attract it into a school full of children? And to plant weird flashy things around the school that are so sensitive that moving even a single one will break the entire plan, and just hope that none of the children find one and none of the staff who see them ever wonder what the fuck they are or investigate them in any way? Fuck, there was an abandoned building just a block down, which the episode emphasized at the beginning, where the Doctor could have executed his plan without problems and without endangering anyone.

6. Kill the Moon. First of all, Clara was not taking a poll of the entire Earth population, she was only taking a poll of whichever part of Earth she was above and was in nighttime during that one particular hour and also happened to catch her broadcast and take it seriously. Also, the decision to kill it was the right one - the Earth would be fucked up without the Moon and the human race would die, and we had no reason to assume the shells would not rain doom from above or that another moon would appear in its place and save us. Also also, the entire premise was dumb - eggs do not suddenly become a thousand times heavier when they're about to hatch, an animal that gestates for 5 billion years is crazy, and we know how the moon came into being and it wasn't by being hatched. And the Doctor making a big deal about leaving and letting us decide, aside from being pretty silly after the hundreds of times he stepped in and save the human race, was also completely undermined when he came back five minutes later and overruled the human race's decision. As for the actual end, the new moon appearing, where the fuck did it come from? The Doctor said that the egg was the last of its kind, so where (and for that matter when) did it find a mate, screw, and lay an egg?

7. Flatline. The Doctor says that the Time Lords theorized about a non-3D dimension in the past but could never verify that theory or visit such a dimension, and now here are beings from the 2D dimension coming into ours and even draining a TARDIS without the Doctor being able to stop them... so they are more powerful than the Time Lords then? And the only thing keeping them from invading us is a speech from the Doctor (if any of them even survived the trip back to relay the speech, which the episode said we don't know)? So shouldn't we be a bit worried about that?

8. In the Forest of the Night. That whole "people will forget this ever happened" was cute when they did it as a throwaway joke in the Christmas Special where the Cybermen attacked Victorian London, and it kinda worked (or at least didn't stretch credibility too much) because the attack was limited to one city and there were no mass communications and it was so crazy weird that you can imagine that anyone they told this too who hadn't witnessed it would not believe it. But now making the same idea central to the plot of the episode working just highlights how ridiculous it is, especially now that the event is global and that we see it on TV worldwide and that everyone and their grandmother has a smartphone and internet access. Are we supposed to assume that all TV stations worldwide will delete their broadcast archives and that some Internet Police Force will delete every FB post and YouTube video and Flickr picture that has trees in it? And the event requires some magical earthly spirit of the trees that has the ability to make matter (trees) appear out of nowhere. Also, fire-proof trees. Also, that little girl that can hear magical earthly spirit of the trees because her sister disappeared. Also, her sister reappearing out of magic.

9. Death in Heaven. So why didn't Dany Pink turn into a Cyberman when Clara activated his chip? Why didn't he kill Clara like the Doctor said he would, how did her remain himself to give the Doctor information and give the Cybermen the order to burn the cloud and save the world? And so far the Master has built an army of Toklafane to take over the earth and the galaxy, and then built an army of himself to take over the Earth and Gallifrey, and now she built an army of Cybermen to take over the Earth, in a plan so perfect even the Doctor acknowledges it's impossible to beat it... so she just gives control of it to the Doctor and allow him to destroy it. Talk about a cop-out.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    (Not reading the tread as I am way behind)

Watched the Bank Heist one last night.

I really liked the energy of it.

After they got into the bank, I felt that everything was just a bit too easy/quick and would have preferred it to be a bit more fleshed out.

And while I liked what they tried to do with the ending's timey-wimey stuff, I don't really get it.

Oh, and that last scene with them in the Tardis was really sweet.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Watching the original old-Who for the first time. William Hartnell is definitely different from any of the new-Who. Up to episode 3, and the humans stop to help a caveman who was attacked by a tiger and The Doctor goes to smash the caveman's head in with a rock just to get them to the TARDIS faster. Only reason he doesn't is cause the male human stops him.

Character development. Eee-gads.

Also Hartnell has given up repeatedly. Said they're doomed. He is literally the exact opposite of Matt Smith's Doctor.

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Unlucky wrote: »
    Watching the original old-Who for the first time. William Hartnell is definitely different from any of the new-Who. Up to episode 3, and the humans stop to help a caveman who was attacked by a tiger and The Doctor goes to smash the caveman's head in with a rock just to get them to the TARDIS faster. Only reason he doesn't is cause the male human stops him.

Character development. Eee-gads.

Also Hartnell has given up repeatedly. Said they're doomed. He is literally the exact opposite of Matt Smith's Doctor.

"Never Cruel or Cowardly. Never Give Up; Never Give In."

This discussion has been closed.