As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Pokemon] ORAS doesn't stand for Oranges

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Ugh, getting a wish/heal bell/hyper voice/ hidden ability eevee into X/Y may be impossible for me

Sucks. I have a lot of wish/hidden ability eevees but I don't know if sylveon benefits from pixilate over cute charm without hyper voice

• Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    Swift seems to be the move that everyone picks if they don't get hyper voice.

Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    Fuck, I can hold my own on 6v6 double battles, but I have a LOT of trouble on VGC-style battles.

• Options
    DashDash Registered User regular
    @RockinX‌ Just remember you can use broken ass stuff like moody Smeargle and such in VGC rules =) Thanks for the comments all. I am actually hoping to find a balance between info and WWE-like enthusiasm. I watched some of the Nugget Bridge commentary and it's great in terms of calling some of the potential moves and noting what move sets have been revealed, but a bit dry in terms of personality. I find the narrations for Pokemon matches are closer to chess match commentators, which makes sense considering the style of play. I always enjoyed the announcers on the Pokemon Stadium-style games though and I think there is room for that kind of cheese. I'll have to watch some of the EVO tourny videos, as I remember they had a really good handle on this.

3DS FC: 1547-5192-0677
    Pokemon Y
    Username 360/PS3/Wii U : Dasherino
  • Options
    undergroundmonorailundergroundmonorail single-track subway Registered User regular
    @Dash Just make sure to shout "IT'S A REVOLVING DOOR OF POKEMON!" when anyone doubleswitches. :)

Pokémon X | 3DS Friend Code: 0490-4897-7688
    Friend Safari: Fighting - Machoke, Pancham, Riolu | In game name: Jessica
    Official Weather Gym Leader of the G+T Pokémon League. @me to try for the Climate Badge!
  • Options
    Also, "it's a white hot battle!"

I'll try my Moody Octillery and see if it works.

• Options
    Hmm, it seems I entered a random birth date on my Pokémon Global Link account, which is different from my actual birthday. Do you think it'll cause problems with Club Nintendo when I link my PGL account to my Pokémon Y?

• Options
    DashDash Registered User regular
    "What's the point of Splashing?!"

I'm pretty sure it won't cause any issues, as I don't think the Club Nintendo and Nintendo Network accounts really talk to one another.

3DS FC: 1547-5192-0677
    Pokemon Y
    Username 360/PS3/Wii U : Dasherino
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Finally got around to beating X. If anyone wants to check out my safari to see what's in the final slot, go right ahead

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Seems this Remoraid just won me a Master Ball.

PLA on
  • Options
    undergroundmonorailundergroundmonorail single-track subway Registered User regular
    Continuing on their streak of banning moves that technically have the ability to be abused but are also 100% legitimate most of the time, looks like Smogon OU might have a Baton Pass suspect test some time soon.

Baton Pass.

Official Weather Gym Leader of the G+T Pokémon League. @me to try for the Climate Badge!
  • Options
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I picked-up copies of Soul Silver and White 2 a couple of days ago. I'm playing through White 2 first, and I've got some impressions I want to share:

* Visual/Sound Design - I love White 2's aesthetic. The displays have a nice, graphic design, and I love the way that the battle music changes when a gym leader sends out their last Pokémon. I also have to say that I can't decide whether I like animated sprites or X/Y's 3D models more (maybe future games could use 3D models with black outlines and sprite-based textures as a compromise)?
    * Gyms - I've been to three gyms so far. While the third has the same kind of bizarre funhouse quality as all of X/Y's gyms, I have to say that I really love the more realistic take used in the first two. I was surprised when I entered the Aspertia City gym to find a classroom, with the actual battles taking place out back (with the gym leader watching from a raised platform). I was even more impressed with the second gym's location in an underground music venue (complete with a flickering neon sign out front and a stairwell whose background music gets louder as you descend). I'm hoping the fourth gym is more like the first two.
    * Difficulty - I can't say that the game is exactly hard, but I'm finding myself more challenged than I was in X/Y. I'm ashamed to say that I let the first gym leader's Lillipup sweep my entire team after a couple of Work-Up boosts (it didn't help that only my Purrloin outsped it).

Finally, I'm really fond of my Pignite. Too bad Emboar's apparently outclassed competitively by a half-dozen other Pokémon...

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Anyone fancy a battle?

Also, anyone know how to fix this thing where my Friends list on the internet connection windown on the bottom screen seems to have emptied? See, I played my game on someone else's 3DS for a time, and then that happened. I still have the actual friends list, though, and my Friend Safari has everything it should...

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Continuing on their streak of banning moves that technically have the ability to be abused but are also 100% legitimate most of the time, looks like Smogon OU might have a Baton Pass suspect test some time soon.

Baton Pass.

Their nomination system is a little weird but it wont get past suspect testing.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Just because of Baton Pass teams? I've gotten wrecked by some, but that's no reason to ban it. It's stupid. If they do, I'm done with Smogon.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    You know what should be banned? TM32. Damn thing is omnipresent in movepools. But if the TM itself were banned, then maybe Evasion could be a tactic that could be planned for.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular

I sort of had the opposite of this in Battle Maison today. I could send out my Ditto or my Kangaskhan against the opponent's Emboar, which was their last Pokemon. I thought I would send out the Ditto, as I only recently started using it, and figured that, worst case scenario, Emboar would hurt itself a bit while pounding my Ditto to death. Little did I know, this Emboar was running a Curse/Gyroball/Rest/Sleep Talk set. I tried a gyroball due to morbid curiosity, and it was as pitiful as would be expected. Then, I switched to Kangaskhan, but was swiftly dispatched by a super beefed up Gyro Ball, and then forced to go back to my Ditto.

It was my own over-zealousness that defeated me, but...what a set. What a freakin' set.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Whats the best item to give my Snorlax? Right now just holding the amulet for more money, but got him trained in all HP, Sp Def, and Def. I call him meat shield.

• Options
    Whats the best item to give my Snorlax? Right now just holding the amulet for more money, but got him trained in all HP, Sp Def, and Def. I call him meat shield.

If you find yourself asking "What's the best item to give this guy?" the answer is always Leftovers. Leftovers are the best item to give anyone who doesn't really want to have a different one.

• Options
    Continuing my White 2 playthrough, I just fought someone named Beauty December in front of a ferris wheel in Nimbasa City. Afterwards, my character was suddenly riding the ferris wheel with her, asking if people would think they are a couple, and demanding that he look directly at her instead of looking out the window.

WTF

• Options
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Continuing my White 2 playthrough, I just fought someone named Beauty December in front of a ferris wheel in Nimbasa City. Afterwards, my character was suddenly riding the ferris wheel with her, asking if people would think they are a couple, and demanding that he look directly at her instead of looking out the window.

WTF
    Legally, you're married now.

• Options
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

WTF

Homoerotic shenanigans can also happen there IIRC.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Just tried my luck at the Nimbasa City gym. The three trainers preceding the gym leader were easy enough, so I thought the gym leader herself might not be that tough, either.

Oh my dears was I wrong. I didn't knock out a single Pokémon. Constant Volt Switching, Static paralyzing my physical attackers, ungodly powerful Electro Ball, and the one Pokémon I did manage to deal some damage to got healed with a Hyper Potion. Time to go get one of those Ground-type Pokémon from the desert I just passed through, I guess.

Is it my imagination, or are Black 2/White 2 somewhat more difficult than the average Pokémon game? I'm seeing NPC trainers use items more often, for one thing.

EDIT: The rematch went better, though it was still close. Luckily, my Braviary KO'd Elesa's Zebstrika with a critical hit before being taken down.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Emolga is just a huge pain in the ass.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    So...wait a second. You can just build a perfect team easily on the Pokemon Showdown simulator and fight there without actually breeding/building an in-game team? Is that what most people do?

Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

• Options
    Some people do that. I have to just because my connection doesn't allow me to stay online on the 3DS for more than 18 minutes and a half.

• Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    Smoogy wrote: »
    So...wait a second. You can just build a perfect team easily on the Pokemon Showdown simulator and fight there without actually breeding/building an in-game team? Is that what most people do?
    Yeah pretty much. This was a lot more of a big deal when the only perfect in-game pokemon were hacked, and people who spend hours and hours breeding were still at a disadvantage. Now it's still obviously a lot more convenient, but not nearly as much as it used to be.

• Options
    Smoogy wrote: »

I do it to test out my team before building it on cartridge, and also to find battles when I don't feel like challenging every Passerby with "Battle me!" as their message. Trying to find decent Singles opponents on cartridge is a massive pain.

• Options
    SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    I suppose it could be good to test out if I even like to competitive battle before trying to make the the perfect team. Seems like a great tool! Though I got handled in a random team battle, haha.

Still, it doesn't really give you that sense of accomplishment doing it for real would do, I'm sure.

Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    http://pokebeach.com/2014/04/three-new-moves-uncovered-in-xy-more-on-hoopa-volcanion
    Three new moves have been discovered through hacking X and Y. The first one appears to be an event-exclusive move in the vein of Celebrate, the second two may have something to do with Zygarde.

It has also been discovered through hacking that Hoopa’s Ability is Magician and its stats are 80/110/60/150/130/70. Volcanion’s ability is Water Absorb and its stats are 80/110/120/130/90/70.

Hold Hands, Normal-type, Special, Power: –, Accuracy –, PP: 40
    The user and an ally hold hands. This makes them very happy.

Thousand Arrows, Ground-type, Physical, Power: 90, Accuracy: 100, PP: 10
    This move also hits opposing Pokemon that are in the air. Those Pokemon are knocked down to the ground.

Thousand Waves, Ground-type, Physical, Power: 90, Accuracy: 100, PP: 10
    The user attacks with a wave that crawls along the ground. Those hit can’t flee from battle.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    Im sensing some pokemon that are going to be banned from all tournament and online play...

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    Quical wrote: »
    Im sensing some pokemon that are going to be banned from all tournament and online play...

If you play by Smogon rules, sure.

• Options
    Maz- wrote: »
    http://pokebeach.com/2014/04/three-new-moves-uncovered-in-xy-more-on-hoopa-volcanion
    Three new moves have been discovered through hacking X and Y. The first one appears to be an event-exclusive move in the vein of Celebrate, the second two may have something to do with Zygarde.

It has also been discovered through hacking that Hoopa’s Ability is Magician and its stats are 80/110/60/150/130/70. Volcanion’s ability is Water Absorb and its stats are 80/110/120/130/90/70.

This move also hits opposing Pokemon that are in the air. Those Pokemon are knocked down to the ground.

The user attacks with a wave that crawls along the ground. Those hit can’t flee from battle.

Those Zygarde moves are hilarious . Oops gengar!

Good to see hoopa and volcanion are better than Diance.

• Options
    Psyshock fucks me up constantly.

"Alright, a special attacker. I guess I go into my special taOH FUCK NO FLORGES WHY"

• Options
    Quical wrote: »

If you play by Smogon rules, sure.

No online ranked will kick those two off as well

Hoopa has the same base special as Arceus and its got defenses to compensate for its weird weaknesses

Volcanion isa tad weaket but he has much better typing,ability and stabs.

They're cover level legendary pokemon

• Options
    QuantumShaddowQuantumShaddow Registered User regular
    Dumb question (been off since PAX): what are Hoopa and Volcanion?

3DS FC: 4441-8382-3645
    Switch: SW-7634-0399-6788

QGqFhNv.png
  • Options
    Dumb question (been off since PAX): what are Hoopa and Volcanion?
    Unreleased legendary pokemon. We know that they exist because hacking but there's not currently a legitimate way to get them.

• Options
    I guess I didn't read that right. Ooops..

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »

Wow, those grounds moves are REALLY good. I think the loss of 10 power is enough compensation for an earthquake that can't be hard-countered, or one that doubles as a Mean Look.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython