As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect 2: The Search for an Anti-Reaper Weapon

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    "The only person here who managed to get her seals on right. I swear, if whoever's attacking here was using nerve gas, I'd be the only one breathing. Right now, I'm also your best bet at staying alive. I need answers, you need medicine, we can make a deal."

Shepard glanced at her team. Bringing up her name would probably be a very bad idea, given the circumstances.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Malthea immediately has her weapon readied. One false move, one disingenuous move, and she would utterly liquify the bastard. She isn't going to say a word to the four-eyed scumbag, and as long as Shepard is talking, Malthea can pretend the thing doesn't exist. She keeps an eye on the alleyways, just in case there are more Batarians.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    The lense of Barraga's helmet turned an unblinking eye on Shepard. "I didn't live this long being sloppy, kid. Since no one out there is trying to spit out their third lung, it looks like symptoms can start minutes after exposure, and suit scale enviro-seals don't stop it."

All of their gears' medigel reserves were topped up, it'd be easy enough to offer the batarian some needed first aid, if the animosity suddenly rolling off of Malthea didn't leave him smeared across the wall first.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    "Wait. What rating does that armor have? I mean, I know Krogan envirogear tends to go a grade or two low. Native toughness means they don't notice a little slip. But even... damn."

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    "C-comm-mander, B-barragga might have a p-point. I can und-d-derstand Krogan envirosuits having l-less t-than stellar t-track record, but t-this pathogen is g-getting t-through my envir-rosuit. T-they d-don't give Caballists f-faulty equipment, and t-they do train us t-to use them w-w-w-well."

Alkas pauses, trying to regain compusure. He feels a fever slowly building up.

"W-we need t-t-to make this quick."

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    "What are you looking for?" he asks warily, visibly uncomfortable at the large crowd around him, particularly since it includes two humans.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    "Mordin. Salarian. Doctor. Got a location?"

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    "Humans, looking for the human sympathizer, of course," he sneers, dissolving into wet, hacking coughs. He points vaguely down the corridor.

"Take a right after the charred apartment. Follow the *wheeze* signs. *blort* Damn it. Damn this plague, damn humans for starting it, damn you--"

He collapses again, gasping for breath. Without immediate medical attention, he will soon pass out, and likely die afterwards. On the other hand, the krogans, turian, and asari with Shepard are not looking too healthy either, and a few minutes spent stabilizing the batarian instead of reaching Dr. Solus could seriously jeopardize their ability to carry out the mission.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Malthea waits a beat, and then begins to move towards the corridor the Batrian indicated. At the junction, she waits. She won't wait for long, she can feel the fever and infection. She knows she needs to get to Solus as soon as she can.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Dammit.

Shepard sighed. Inexplicable superplagues able to punch through independent air supplies. The entire squad infected. Batarians. Well, that was what you got when you put her and Zaeed Massani in the same squad.

Well, stabilizing the bastard might have been a good call if the squad wasn't in danger, but in a situation like this, no point in wasting medical supplies on a slaver.

Besides, no sign of a cure yet. What mattered was the mission. Everything else, well, secondary.

"For what it's worth, not taking much pleasure in this."

Shepard drew her pistol and aimed. Then she noticed Barraga leaning over with medgel.

Well, choice made for her.

Pistol back in the holster.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    "Rated three days CUHV," Barraga said absently, answering Shepard's question about his suit. "Required when visiting some of Tuchanka's meaner neighborhoods."

He knelt in front of the batarian, keying up the medigel dispenser in his omintool. "I can catch up with you. I've got a couple more questions, like," he looked over the batarian's injuries. "Who tore you up this bad?"
    Continuous Use Hard Vaccum

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    He spits out a mouthful of something really nobody wants to look at in any way, his breathing clearing up as the soothing suspension soaks into his flesh.

"This is Omega," he rasps, "life is rough even when nothing bad is happening. Ugh. Get to Dr. Solus and tell him where I am; we both need medical attention."

• Options
    "Yes. That's going to be a priority."

Shepard ran on to follow Malthea. Plagues that could punch through environment armor like it wasn't there weren't a good sign. And why did it miss humans? Alliance wasn't that stupid.

• Options
    Barraga caught up with the squad, blinking rapidly behind his helmet lenses as the figures in front of him wavered. Whatever this thing was, it was hitting hard - and bio-tech this potent, this selective, seemed beyond what even STG could conjure up on their foulest days.

As he rejoined the ranks, he glanced at the newest krogan to the group. They hadn't had a chance to size each other up yet, but that would come. He looked forward to it. "Didn't catch your clan." He held off on calling Grunt 'kid' despite how appropriate it was, given how young 'Archangel' had looked. "You a Raik? That little dust-up back there's the kind of fun a Raik would jump hump deep into."

• Options
    "Don't have one," Grunt replies, rubbing his hands together constantly. "Warlord Okeer bred me from the DNA of our greatest forebears."

The squad approaches another apartment complex, though this one appears to have a few residents. Or at least people who are there, and seem to be packing.

• Options
    An unpleasant suspicion wormed through Barraga's mind at the younger krogan's answer. "Okeer," he sad flatly. "What he was expecting from that little show with the mercs back there?"

He glanced at the people packing up their belongings as they approached the building. "Fleeing a plague- what all smart sophonts are doing this week."

• Options
    "He wanted me to show the galaxy what the krogan can do. Those mercs saw that I'm tougher than all of them put together."

The squad is now right against that complex, and several people who were putting stuff in bags in one area have now started gathering valuables in another.

• Options
    "You think those are refugees, or looters?" he asked no one in particular, ignoring Grunt for the moment, then swinging his attention back with a snort. "They would've filled you with holes big enough to reach through and scratch your tail if we hadn't shown up. Okeer must be slowing down if he thinks that's a good use of his efforts. Then again, naming you 'Grunt,' seems to show what he had in mind for the avenue of research that spat you out."

• Options
    Malthea watches the looters from a distance away. The krogan may think they're being quiet, but she hasn't met a Krogan yet who truly understands the meaning of the word Stealth. They also think Subtlety and Cunning mean the same thing.

She looks to Shepard, indicating that moving on and finding Solus was the priority, and would save a lot more people besides. If he's running a clinic, he may have an inoculation, or treatment. Hopefully, he didn't create the damn thing. Malthea sincerely hoped that this wasn't an STG bio agent that got out of containment. Those things are nasty, and they kill brutally.

• Options
    The squad can either investigate the possible looters, or try to get to Mordin as soon as possible, given the progression of the illness in everyone except Shepard and Zaeed.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    "This whole mission is pointless without Dr. Solus, and every second we waste is another second he could be dead. If some people want to loot, then that's their own problem. I don't want to leave anyone behind, but if I have to..."

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    As the squad continues, several of the looters look up -- and bolt. The group of heavily-armed and -armored people evidently does not seem like an appealing target.

It takes them a few more minutes to reach the clinic, and by that time most of them aren't feeling too good. Dr. Solus sees the group and almost chuckles.

"Hmm, yes. Immunoboosters all around, with cytokinetic B-2 complex for krogan, vasoconstrictors and platelet suppressors for turian, oxidants for asari. Better. Now, why are you here?"

• Options
    Malthea sighs in relief once she feels the effects of Mirdon's compounds working through her system. She keeps a sharp eye out for any more information on... whatever this is, but she doesn't let her eyes stray too far. Mordin is one of the best, so she's heard, and the stories of the best.... well, rampant paranoia would probably be the best they can hope for. She just hopes that Mordin doesn't recognize STG training. She doesn't want him to think her a contact, or a black ball agent. So she wears a bit of her Asari Mystic personality when she says "We are here to consult with you, Dr. Solus"

• Options
    "Shepard. Systems Alliance. We need the best, you're it, and we're willing to do whatever it takes to get you on board. Details on a need to know basis, and no-one here besides you and me needs to know."

• Options
    "Hmm, Commander Shepard," Mordin fires off. "Multi-species team, covert mission, desperation -- can only be Reapers. Appreciate offer. Must cure plague before I leave. Have antigen prepared already. Need you to hold off vorcha while I add it to air supply at environmental control center."

"Daniel!" He shouts. A human in his early thirties comes running.

"Yes, Doctor?"

"Have acquired protection for job. Watch clinic while I administer cure."

He picks up a fairly hefty crate, grunting slightly, and takes a long, speculative look at Malthea.

"Ready when you are."

• Options
    Barraga wasn't feeling on top of his game, which was why the salarian had so little trouble dosing him up. Otherwise it probably would've taken warship docking clamps to hold him in place while an STG salarian started filling him up with hastily identified medicines.

"This thing isn't killing the vorcha as fast as all the other non-humans?{"

• Options
    "Vorcha are immune to pretty much everything. You could dump a few into a sun and there's a good chance there'd be a breeding colony when before you got back."

She turned to Mordin.

"And before you get too suspicious, doc, Malthea's ex-STG. It's an all hands on deck kind of job."

• Options
    "Must be amateur hour in the biolab if someone cooked up a cross-species doombug, but forgot to include vorcha on the hit list."

• Options
    Mordin nods, delighted.

"Knew I had seen her before!"

He chuckles at Barraga's comment, making his way to the door of the clinic.

"Nothing affects vorcha for long. Would make excellent medical service for plagues, apart from savagery."

• Options
    edited April 2014
    "Yeah, if you could teach a Vorcha that eating people who are dying is a bad thing, they'd be useful for a lot. I'm surprised this disease can affect Krogans without it just killing everything else, much less Vorcha."

Malthea nods at their Krogan friend "Hey Big Guy, why don't you help the doc with his crate?"

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    "Assistance welcome, but not necessary," Mordin comments, and heads out to the corridor, setting the crate down for a moment to pull up a map of the area on his omni-tool.

"Would prefer to avoid looters and thugs, if possible. Can deal with them, of course, but cure is priority."

• Options
    "I doubt that Aria would care either way, but if we're already going to be facing armed resistance from Vorcha, I'd rather not have riff-raff with a grudge somewhere behind my back." He looked over the map. "You got a preferred route to the enviro-controls?"

• Options
    "Getting this inoculation propagated is definitely the priority. Do you have a route planned, Dr Solus?"

• Options
    "Yes," he says simply, and sets off again. It's a bit of a winding trail, through dirty corridors and around burning, debris-strewn buildings, but after ten minutes or so the squad reaches a giant machine. Looks complicated. Mordin opens the crate and begins plugging various parts into the . . . whatever it is.

"Calibrating cure dispensal will take time and attention," Mordin warns. "Vorcha likely already alerted to interference. Attack likely before process is complete."

• Options
    "Let's hope it's the usual dumb Vorcha. Ran into a few clever ones once. Lost half a squad trying to deal with them."

• Options
    "Hostiles incoming, Commander," EDI chimes in. "Life signs are difficult to distinguish, but I estimate no more than five."

• Options
    Indeed, five vorcha rush in -- three of them are just grunts, but one has a rocket launcher and another has a large flamethrower strapped to his (?) back.

"Rargh! Kill doctor! Keep plague in air! We get station!" the rocket-toting vorcha barks.
    Vorcha A: 1 2 3 stress
    Vorcha B: 1 2 3 stress
    Vorcha C: 1 2 3 stress
    Rocketeer: 1 3 5 stress
    Flamer: 2 3 4 stress

• Options
    Okay, this is probably the point where I should admit that I don't really remember (or remember if I ever knew) how combat actually works.

• Options
    Roll 4dF+Quick/Forceful/pick the approach. Defender rolls the same. If you roll higher, you inflict the difference in stress.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    is there an order for the or is it first come first serve?