Options

Monster Hunter

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Oof, i'm considering trading in a buttload of console games I no longer play (which is most of them at this point, tbh) to get MH4U.

But I'm just starting to learn 3, so what would really be the point?

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Honestly just play 3

The mechanics of 4 are better but I like the fights of 3 much more

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    I feel like 4 is the superior game all around

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    if you have 3 and are liking it then play it, 4's not going anywhere

hell at some point I intend to go back and play 3 because I'm given to understand it has some neat monsters 4 doesn't have

• Options
    Monster Hunter 4 is front loaded with great stuff.

Then you hit gravios..................

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    I'm guessing gravios is a lot more obnoxious if you're just not constantly pole-vaulting

to me the thing's just sort of a non-entity with ugly armor

• Options
    Seriously wrote: »

hell at some point I intend to go back and play 3 because I'm given to understand it has some neat monsters 4 doesn't have
    I think that Deviljho and Great Jaggi are the only guys that came over

You would have an entire game of new guys!

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    I like 3 a lot, and yeah, I'll probably get 4 later on. I do like how 4 seems to at least start out with some nicer stuff - I think you get palicos earlier than you get Cha-Cha.

Also lord is Cha-Cha obnoxious. I only keep you around for your dances, you little shit!

• Options
    Wait a second

you said the king frill only shows up in quest rewards

does that include the hunt report when I do a free hunt or do I actually have to do the Great Jaggi hunt to have a chance of getting the frill?

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Wait a second

does that include the hunt report when I do a free hunt or do I actually have to do the Great Jaggi hunt to have a chance of getting the frill?

You cannot get breaks on a free hunt. If you've been hunting Great Jaggis there... I'm sorry.

I think that Deviljho and Great Jaggi are the only guys that came over

You would have an entire game of new guys!

Well, not quite that much. There's also Lagombi, Rathian, Rathalos, Diablos, Zinogre, Brachydios and sorta Jhen Mohran (Darren's basically the same).

TamerBill on
    3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    I didnt count Rathian, Rathalos, and Diablos because they are veterans that are in every game

Completely forgot about the others

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Lagombi and Zinogre (along with Brute Tigrex) made their first appearance in Portable 3rd (the last PSP mainline Monster Hunter), which came after Tri. I don't think there's ever been a Monster Hunter (outside of weird spinoffs, like the Felyne Puzzle game for PSP) that didn't have Rathalos, Rathian, or Diablos in it. Brachydios was the front-cover monster for 3G/3U.

Someday, I'd like a Monster Hunter that was an ecumenical collection of ALL the monsters (including the weird ones from Frontier). But you'd get a pretty wide selection between playing 3U and 4U. You'd miss out on some of the bigger Elder Dragon fights like Yamatsukami (MH Dos and MHP 2G/Freedom Unite) and Amatsumagatsuchi (Portable 3rd), along with all of the Frontier-exclusive monsters like the wolf pair and the scorpion. But the overlap between 3U and 4U is small enough that you can play both side-by-side without feeling like you are playing the same game.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    So I made my poor mans anti Ice armor. The Blackleather jacket and pants Jaggi helm and Seltas Faulds. Now to kill kut-ku a hundred times

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Lagombi and Zinogre (along with Brute Tigrex) made their first appearance in Portable 3rd (the last PSP mainline Monster Hunter), which came after Tri. I don't think there's ever been a Monster Hunter (outside of weird spinoffs, like the Felyne Puzzle game for PSP) that didn't have Rathalos, Rathian, or Diablos in it. Brachydios was the front-cover monster for 3G/3U.

Actually, Diablos wasn't in base game MH4. She was added back in for 4G along with Monoblos.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    TamerBill wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Wait a second

You cannot get breaks on a free hunt. If you've been hunting Great Jaggis there... I'm sorry.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Options
    Motherfucker, if that wasn't so hilariously perfect I would almost be heartbroken over that discovery.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    welcome to monster hunter

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Man I just found out there's One Piece weapons we'll never get.

BAH

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Molten Tigrex is a miserable fight

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    And then I fought a Queropeco and oh man

I feel like I need a couple practice rounds with that fucker, though part of the trouble I had was of course forgetting to paintball him.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I've been playing MH3U after 300 odd hours of 4U.

I can say I prefer 4U in pretty much every aspect.

LR/hr 3u is a total nonentity with the bonus armor. Most of the fights aren't nearly as fun as I remember. The crappier weapon move sets are rather painful. Water is worse then I remember. THAT FONT. There is no stfu mechanism like mounting to stop really annoying monsters when they are being really annoying. (I rarely use it but occasionally it's super great). Most of the characters are boring. THAT FONT. Charm tables hahahahaha. Monsters even higher up just seem much weaker, frenzy fights have spoiled me in that regard.

Also that horrible font.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Okay I'm done with you, Tetsucabra
    I don't even want to make your dumb armor any more

• Options
    The font is pretty godawful, yeah. The rest of that stuff is probably stuff I'd only really notice after playing 4U, though.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    I think I have hunted every monster! 200 hours and 500~ charge blade missions later, seems like I've more or less run out of things to do aside from grind for relics and charms in level 136+ guild quests. Guild card says I'm 49% done with the game, to which I say, "c'mon, cut me some slack".

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Okay I'm done with you, Tetsucabra
    I don't even want to make your dumb armor any more

You need some help GG? There is a . . . way to cut down farm. time and break the parts you need

Make a weapon called Fragrance its a lance with sleep attribute.
    Get 8 tranq bombs and material for more
    Get some scatterfish and combine them with L barrel for barrel bomb plus .
    Grab some large barrel bombs
    Get 1-2 small barrel bombs.
    Try to eat a meal wit. Feylene weakner
    In batfle unload all your tranqs thrn attack as normal
    If you do it right he will fall asleep fairly fast now you gotta be quick

When a monster is asleep the first attack on it does like triple damage. So lay your plus bombs in front of his face and set a small bomb then run.Everything should be close to broken if it doesnt just break then

You can do this one more time but it will take slightly longer. In low rank I doubt youll need to unless weakener doesnt go off

King Riptor on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Keep in mind that if the small barrel bomb is too close the triple damage multiplier will be applied to it instead of the large one.

• Options
    okay so if I go to dundorma can I keep playing the rest of the game like normal?

when I go there the caravaneer gives me a whole box of emphasized text that seems to indicate that I'm going to be locked into that quest arc for a while once I start

but at the same time the other quests are looking like fight one (thing you've already fought) now fight two (things I've already fought) now fight one of one and one of the other

• Options
    This cat who farms items for me is a scam
    He takes forever

• Options
    Uh I'm talking about the... Wycoon? I guess

• Options
    He does like 3 per mission

Constantly have him farming so you never need to wait on him

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    I just wish I could have multiple requests in at once

• Options
    You are not far off from that

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    The moment I got a second Felyne in MH3U to farm more I was like "yess!"

• Options
    okay so if I go to dundorma can I keep playing the rest of the game like normal?

when I go there the caravaneer gives me a whole box of emphasized text that seems to indicate that I'm going to be locked into that quest arc for a while once I start

but at the same time the other quests are looking like fight one (thing you've already fought) now fight two (things I've already fought) now fight one of one and one of the other
    There's nothing that really "locks" you out of content. If you don't want to proceed, you can always just fail the mission or abandon. I think they are just trying to warn you that the next hunt not going to be like previous hunts, that's all.

In other words, just go to Dundorma. You'll have a fight when you accept, but the game proceeds as usual.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Molten Tigrex is a miserable fight
    I like fighting him more than regular Tigrex. His charges are slower, and he prefers the Brute Tigrex roar attack over the charging and spinning attacks. Just slot in Bio Researcher (+10 points of Biology) to eliminate Blast Blight, and don't attack too much while he's raging (he'll tire out VERY quickly). Also, don't use a Blast weapon against him (he only takes 50 damage per boom, the lowest amount out of all monsters in the game). Might as well use Small Barrel Bombs against him at that point...

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    I didn't even know there was a skill that prevented blastblight, that definitely goes a long ways towards making Molten less annoying

Speaking of annoying, why do I need 4 Rajang horns to upgrade my dang Lagia sword

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Man I think Queropeco's weird fire thing is pretty fucking cool

I mean it's obnoxious being set on fire but the spark thing is cool as hell

• Options
    I didn't even know there was a skill that prevented blastblight, that definitely goes a long ways towards making Molten less annoying
    I always have Biology slotted for fights against Brachydios, Teostra, and Molten Tigrex, and I have a specific equipment set for those fights with a Poison weapon (all three are resistant to Blast, for the most part) and Biology. There are two levels of Biology, but you only need +10 points to stop Blastblight. The +2 Microbio jewels are Adamant Orbs (High Rank Everwood mining, or G-rank mining everywhere. Also drops as Caravan 10* rewards or G-rank rewards), Volvidon Carapaces (Wycoon trade, for Lagombi Pelt+, after unlocking with the quest Trader in Trouble), and Brach Ebonshell+ (High rank Brachydios).

Biology is also natively on Gore Magala armor, Congalala armor, and Teostra armor, if you want to go that route.
    Speaking of annoying, why do I need 4 Rajang horns to upgrade my dang Lagia sword
    The same reason it takes 7 Kirin Icehorns to make the first step of the Ritual Eidolon dual blades. And the same reason I can't get a Dahren Allbrace to save my life (3 runs, zero Allbraces). :-P MONSTAR HUNTAR!

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

that warning is specifically that you're going to be dropped into a fight when you accept, like when you first leave from Harth on the ship and Gore Magala attacks you. There's no points of no return where you can't go back to earlier content or anything like that in these games.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I beat Queropeco the other night. It was quite a tough battle:

1. I know there's a Great Jaggi in that quest, and last time when I failed the quest I wasted a bit of time fighting the GJ before I fought the Queropeco, and more importantly than that I wasted quite a few of my Mega Potions fighting it.
    2. I totally forgot to bring any stamina-replenishing items, so stamina was at a pretty huge premium.
    3. When the fight started I blundered into Quero's fucking flintstone fire multiple times, getting stunned, and stumbling away with barely any health.
    4. The hammer is fucking SLOW, so when I hit I hit fairly well, but it's hard to line up that stupid bird because his wings easily block lots of attacks and bounce off.
    5. I was running super low on stamina near the end of the fight, and when he flew back to his cave (I think it's area 7 on Sandy Plains?) I was like "welp, I'm probably gonna fail this, but Imight as well try."
    6. When the dude finally died I felt SO damn good.