Options

Monster Hunter

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I beat Queropeco the other night. It was quite a tough battle:

1. I know there's a Great Jaggi in that quest, and last time when I failed the quest I wasted a bit of time fighting the GJ before I fought the Queropeco, and more importantly than that I wasted quite a few of my Mega Potions fighting it.
    2. I totally forgot to bring any stamina-replenishing items, so stamina was at a pretty huge premium.
    3. When the fight started I blundered into Quero's fucking flintstone fire multiple times, getting stunned, and stumbling away with barely any health.
    4. The hammer is fucking SLOW, so when I hit I hit fairly well, but it's hard to line up that stupid bird because his wings easily block lots of attacks and bounce off.
    5. I was running super low on stamina near the end of the fight, and when he flew back to his cave (I think it's area 7 on Sandy Plains?) I was like "welp, I'm probably gonna fail this, but Imight as well try."
    6. When the dude finally died I felt SO damn good.
    This. This is why I play Monster Hunter.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    oh god yeah trying to hammer without bringing any steaks is a great way to make things waaaaay harder than they need to be

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I had kind of resigned myself to failing the quest but I figured I might as well try. I had so little stamina near the end, my guy was just stumbling around.

Also, I broke the fucker's beak, so that was good too. Not sure what I can do with it - I don't think it goes in any armor that I saw?

Also I've discovered the joys of going to the tavern and sending streetpassed hunters on quests for FREE STUFF. Well, not free, I have to pay to send them, but...

• Options
    Yeah, I had kind of resigned myself to failing the quest but I figured I might as well try. I had so little stamina near the end, my guy was just stumbling around.

Also, I broke the fucker's beak, so that was good too. Not sure what I can do with it - I don't think it goes in any armor that I saw?

Also I've discovered the joys of going to the tavern and sending streetpassed hunters on quests for FREE STUFF. Well, not free, I have to pay to send them, but...
    Yeah, it's definitely worth it to send out the Hunters for Hire all the time. Be sure to send all 4 on the quest... a little more expensive, but zenny flows pretty well, and higher success rates = more parts.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Basically I've decided I've got the dual blades for when I want to take something down quick (I fought a quero earlier today and took him down in about ~15 minutes?), and the hammer for when I want to BREAK STUFF.

Is there anything to be done when I've been set on fire aside from stacking up on fire resist gear and food effects?

• Options
    Roll 4 or so times and you'll go out. Stop drop and roll. Alternately roll once in shallow water.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Roll until the fire goes out, usually takes 3-4 rolls to put out, 1 if you roll in water

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Okay, that's good to know. I think I tried rolling but I only did it once and when it didn't work...

Anyway, not sure what to do next. I've got to hunt a Royal Ludroth and Great Wroggi. Kind of don't want to do the Ludroth because it's a water fight and fuuuuuck water fights. I mean I'm sure I'll be okay, but those controls... Still, I'd love some fleet ships.

It's that sort of thing that makes me want to get a Circle Pad Pro XL. But then I realize I'm not fucking crazy.

I'll probably go for the Wroggi first, then try out the Ludroth. Or maybe I'll hunt a Queropeco a few more times and make the armor.

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    I gotta just sit down and farm out item set templates

cause I'm always playing at like the wee hours of the night and always leaving behind the nullberries and the cool drinks to like, fight frenzied brachydios inside the literal volcano or whatever

• Options
    but then I'd name them all PICK THIS ONE IDIOT

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    I beat Queropeco the other night. It was quite a tough battle:

1. I know there's a Great Jaggi in that quest, and last time when I failed the quest I wasted a bit of time fighting the GJ before I fought the Queropeco, and more importantly than that I wasted quite a few of my Mega Potions fighting it.
    2. I totally forgot to bring any stamina-replenishing items, so stamina was at a pretty huge premium.
    3. When the fight started I blundered into Quero's fucking flintstone fire multiple times, getting stunned, and stumbling away with barely any health.
    4. The hammer is fucking SLOW, so when I hit I hit fairly well, but it's hard to line up that stupid bird because his wings easily block lots of attacks and bounce off.
    5. I was running super low on stamina near the end of the fight, and when he flew back to his cave (I think it's area 7 on Sandy Plains?) I was like "welp, I'm probably gonna fail this, but Imight as well try."
    6. When the dude finally died I felt SO damn good.

The SWAXE will annihilate the queropeco.

• Options
    Switch Axe? I'll have to give it a shot.

• Options

Yeah, deploying it straight to sword mode makes it useful for getting past its wings

Also the swaxe in sword mode will bounce off of very few things

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I miss Peco so much, was a fun fight.

I think if I could bring one monster to MH4U that didn't make it I'd pick Peco. Or Barroth just to make Gravios go away.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Whoa, I tried the swaxe against peco

Holy crap, that was rad

Also the roll for putting out fires was also super helpful!

• Options
    AsharaxxAsharaxx Registered User regular

Yeah, deploying it straight to sword mode makes it useful for getting past its wings

Also the swaxe in sword mode will bounce off of very few things

Sword mode has innate Mind's Eye, so it won't bounce off anything in 3U.

Apex monsters in 4U can still deflect Mind's Eye effects though! They apparently had to make a new animation for the Switchaxe sword bouncing off things.

• Options
    that nargacuga has a butthole
    why did I notice that

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I tried to do an arena quest and oh man that was a bad idea

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    that picklejho is violently adorable.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    that nargacuga has a butthole
    why did I notice that

they took the trouble to draw it

• Options
    where else is a nargacuga going to poop

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Holy shit I just got a gypceros head on a carve

Why in the fuck am I still looking for gypcerps heads?

• Options
    where else is a nargacuga going to poop

narga's tail knives are actually highly specially adapted doodies

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I beat shagaru magala today, first try, no fainting. 8-)

• Options
    apparently I can craft a Jaggi Mask or something?

It apparently gives +10 to gather, so that's cool.

• Options
    tumblr_nmxpxox6Vy1rider7o5_1280.jpg

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    feeling my way into high rank, I see that I can basically forge straight upgrades to replace current my armor sets

I've been very, very partial to nercy armor for capture guru, I love to catch 'em, but the s-equivalent comes with double hunger?

eeyikes, I'm guessing that's to force me to pay more attention to ameliorators? I think I have a charm that can knock that down to what I'm used to already

god the fire resistance is worse too, everything is exaggerated

well at least my compulsive need to craft all of the equipment is flimsily justified

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Seriously wrote: »
    feeling my way into high rank, I see that I can basically forge straight upgrades to replace current my armor sets

I've been very, very partial to nercy armor for capture guru, I love to catch 'em, but the s-equivalent comes with double hunger?

eeyikes, I'm guessing that's to force me to pay more attention to ameliorators? I think I have a charm that can knock that down to what I'm used to already

god the fire resistance is worse too, everything is exaggerated

well at least my compulsive need to craft all of the equipment is flimsily justified

Hunger jewels (+2 each slot) are very easy to craft. Seltas Horns and a Well-Done Steak. Just slot 3 of them to get rid of that negative skill. You should have plenty of slots in Nerscylla S.

EDIT: You can also slot in a single +1 Poison jewel to give you Negate Poison as well. Which would give you Speed Setup, Capture Guru, Critical Eye+1 and Negate Poison, a pretty solid set of support skills.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I used Scylla S for at least the first half of high rank, it is pretty great, I think I had a charm to get critical eye +2 as well, very handy. Just watch out for those fireballs!

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Scylla armor also looks 100% rad, so that's another plus.

• Options
    everything I want to make right now is made out of iodrome and gypcerii

this negate poison thing? is highly good

the poor fucking things, they're going through all that effort to hock up entire swimming pools worth of deadly poison and I just am slurping it up and licking my fingers d e l i c i o u s now would you like some fucking sleep cause I have a staff chock full of it

I love spiderfriend

of course I spent most of the hunt against cyan kut-ku running away shrieking and I don't want to even think about rathians but right now it's so so worth it

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Well, at least with negate poison you'll be ready to catch a rathian tail flip.

I mean, I don't usually advise trying to stop a barbed poisonous tail with your face, but at least you won't get venom ticked to death.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    It also means you can just hang out in those toxic pools in the jungle map, which is occasionally useful.

• Options
    it did turn out to be pretty handy to be able to eat those tail flips

I thought I was going to have to give up on pink rathian until I got the brain wave to maybe not hang out around her mouth

I'm still not ready to call her dragonfriend yet but I think I'm getting a feel

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Seriously wrote: »
    I'm still not ready to call her dragonfriend yet but I think I'm getting a feel

:)

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    If you think pink rathian is annoying wait until you get to gold rathian

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    If you think pink rathian is annoying wait until you get to gold rathian

Godammit

• Options
    In fairness the difference between Gold and Pink is somewhat lesser than that between Pink and Green. The Gold variant just adds a couple of extra irritating potential combos into the mix, and deflects way more attacks, annoying certainly, but not so much as a wake-up-call as the Pink one.

I, actually really like Pink Rathian, not only is it a good lesson in 'don't stand here', but also it's entertaining bringing along evade+ and rolling right through her flippy nonsense.

• Options
    Man, Gobul can suck my goballs.