Options

Monster Hunter

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Stupid rock dragon.
    I killed it but god that took longer than it should have I was bouncing off everywhere except one section of his legs.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    yes that part was fine

the part where i played it was not great
    Freedom Wars tries to shake up too many parts of the formula for its own good, and while I still like it I can see why it'd put somebody off

toukiden's way more conventional in a lot of ways that I can't articulate since I'm not a MonHun expert

one big positive I'll say is that Toukiden IMMEDIATELY gives you some crazy-ass enemies with varying patterns

one big minus is that you can't just randomly roam the battlefield like you can with the island in monhun3 (haven't played 4)

WeedLordVegeta on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i mean toukiden would really have to give you enemies with varying patterns, given what i saw of the initial combat

like playing your character seems simple to the point that you really gotta have that stuff out the gate

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    The camera is one of the biggest fucking problems when taking on something with the Najarala's length.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    i mean toukiden would really have to give you enemies with varying patterns, given what i saw of the initial combat

like playing your character seems simple to the point that you really gotta have that stuff out the gate

it honestly depends on your weapon and the mitama you have equipped

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I was hoping Toukiden would scratch that MH itch. It did, for a brief moment.

Alas, not nearly enough though.

• Options
    AsharaxxAsharaxx Registered User regular
    I've decided that the charge blade is fucking powerful if you know how to use it properly.

I'm going to check out the bug staff now.

Charge Blade is amazing. It's my main/favorite weapon.

I like Insect Glaive but sometimes getting the color juices is obnoxious.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Toukiden is way too simple. It seems complex and it isn't.

On the other have monhun seems simple but ends up being incredibly complex.

Kiwami has the problem of fights taking too god damn long. I don't want to fight this boring thing for 45 minutes.

Soul sacrifice is better then Toukiden or freedom wars.

Still inferior to mh4u. (Probably better then 3u though.)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed the dumb super dark narrative of Soul Sacrifice

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I really enjoyed the dumb super dark narrative of Soul Sacrifice
    I enjoyed the great retcon and unreliable narrator aspect of Soul Sacrifice Delta. I also really enjoyed the lore sections for the monsters. The flying baby things were a little strange. Also sacrificing your friends on purpose. :)

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Anyone play tgat FF monhun clone? Or is it not out yet?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    Anyone play tgat FF monhun clone? Or is it not out yet?

FF like final fantasy? What game is this?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Final fantasy crossed with monster hunter might be awesome.

Shadow of the monster hunter.

God of war vs monster hunter

• Options
    Final fantasy crossed with monster hunter might be awesome.

Shadow of the monster hunter.

God of war vs monster hunter

Lord knows, we already had Metal Gear vs. Monster Hunter. And it was awesome:
    https://youtu.be/AwoCvryu1n4

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Making Tigrex eat stinger missiles was just about the best thing ever.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Capturing a Great Jaggi was WAY easier than capturing that damn Azuros.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    I'm pretty sure I know the answer already, but - is there any indication to when I've broken the Great Jaggi's head?

Because I swear, I've wailed on these dude's heads almost exclusively and I've yet to get a King's Frill. Only one I got I got from capturing one.

Edit: I'm also aware that it's only a chance of me getting the frill, so maybe I've just been unlucky.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I know the answer already, but - is there any indication to when I've broken the Great Jaggi's head?

Because I swear, I've wailed on these dude's heads almost exclusively and I've yet to get a King's Frill. Only one I got I got from capturing one.

Edit: I'm also aware that it's only a chance of me getting the frill, so maybe I've just been unlucky.

You should see the fill break and after that it will look pretty ragged

Honestly you will have to spend most of the hunt hitting the jaggi in the head in order to break it.

• Options
    Okay, cool. I feel like I've done that but clearly I need to do that more.

• Options
    r30U5oR.png

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Hmm, is that MH4U? Because I'm playing 3 right now.

• Options
    the visual effects are the same

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    There will also be a sort of 'crunching' noise and the Jaggi will flinch. (Although, they flinch when you do enough damage anyway so that's not much of an indicator, but the noise is a big tell and is common across all part-breaks.
    There are some little particle effects which fly out too I believe.

If you're having trouble hitting the head, maybe try using a hammer or hunting horn for a quest or two (if you're not already), those blunt weapons will always produce a yellow swirly effect when they hit the head hitbox, should give you a reasonable idea of where to aim with other weapons.

• Options
    I've been using the hammer, it is indeed super handy!

I do think I've probably broken the head at least once, just didn't get it when harvesting it afterward.

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

Capturing doesn't actually give you any frills, you got that one from breaking his head. It's not a carve, you get given break rewards on the quest reward screen.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    Oh, ok, cool.

• Options
    The system of breaking parts is all kinds of backward. Break the frill to get a frill? How the hell does that work? No, kill it without breaking the frill and cut it off intact! Better yet, capture the monster and haul it back to the village where a competent butcher can cut all the parts you need off of it!

That said, I was playing dragons dogma the other day and got two eyes off of a Cyclops. Automatically suspicious

• Options
    What, you don't carry a spare eye for emergencies?

• Options
    I really appreciate the monster line up in the latest offering. Rather than just "FUCKING DINOSAUR" I can also scream "FUCKING BUG" "FUCKING BIRD" and "FUCKING MONKEY...SQUIRREL...ELEPHANT...THING"

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I just call them all fucking fucks.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Pretty sure i've gotten two gypceros heads before, I kinda think that's a bit weirder than a cyclops with two eyes.

• Options
    what happens in the egg, stays in the egg

until a hunter carves you up and discovers your secret brother

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    it was probably a male gypceros

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    It probably killed another Gypceros and was wearing its head on a necklace as a trophy. You know, normal monster stuff.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    I carved three heads off one Velocidrome yesterday

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The system of breaking parts is all kinds of backward. Break the frill to get a frill? How the hell does that work? No, kill it without breaking the frill and cut it off intact! Better yet, capture the monster and haul it back to the village where a competent butcher can cut all the parts you need off of it!

That said, I was playing dragons dogma the other day and got two eyes off of a Cyclops. Automatically suspicious

Man, just today I was thinking I kind of wanted to play Dragon's Dogma again

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Monster Hunter beat me

I dont want to grind these high ranks mats

I will never get the master sword stuff...............

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Grinding a single quest repetitively always wears me down. Even if I'm really trying to put something together, I'll occasionally stop to work on something else just to get some variety in.

• Options
    Grinding a single quest repetitively always wears me down. Even if I'm really trying to put something together, I'll occasionally stop to work on something else just to get some variety in.

"well to grind this more efficiently I should build this weapon, so I need these parts. In order to get these parts as quickly as possible I should probably go get..."

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    by the time I actually got around to farming for the brachy sword I had three new suits of armor and five new weapons

I started out just trying to get armor spheres