As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOBA: I feel the need. The need to feed.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Hullis wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »
    I actually don't know the first fucking thing about MOBAs.
    They're trash and so is anyone who plays one
    I increasingly believe that Mobas are test from God, and by playing them we have failed.
    milski wrote: »
    Honestly, DotA's in game guides, tutorial, and better bots with more difficulty scaling might actually be better suited than League at this point for learning how the genre works.
    That is true in some ways, but I think Dota's slow pacing makes it a lot more difficult to get into. But then again I don't like Dota 2.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    playing dota as your first moba nowadays is an AWFUL idea

Playing DOTA anytime other than Wraith-Night/event maps is a bad idea.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Dota should be your first moba, because everything after that will feel like easy street.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    For all the hype it's got, the larger playerbase of DotA 2, separation of ranked queue, and better tutorials/bots/guides that have been added pretty much eliminated a lot of the concerns for new people playing DotA. The community isn't any more toxic than elsewhere, it's not entirely comprised of old-guard players who know what they're doing, and there's enough flexibility you don't need to memorize where everyone goes and how they build.

I don't find the pacing of DotA slow, but I suppose at lower level games the larger map, combined with a lack of awareness that you can TP and easier waveclear via spells means that you're less likely to stumble into a coordinated push than you are in League. Games *can* last forever, but they can just as easily end very quickly.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    playing dota as your first moba nowadays is an AWFUL idea

Playing DOTA anytime other than Wraith-Night/event maps is a bad idea.

i am SO MAD wraithnight was a temp thing

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    when did DOTA 2 get a larger player base than league

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    it doesn't

just people stopped posting about smite long enough to post about dota

also this isn't the warwick memorial moba thread what the fuck!

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    yeah playing dota first is good because it transfers to league

but not the other way around

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    yeah playing dota first is good because it transfers to league

but not the other way around

But if you play dota first and really don't like it you should try league. Because Dota is way less forgiving.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    T4CT wrote: »
    when did DOTA 2 get a larger player base than league

The point I was making is that the playerbase is now large enough, and open-access enough, that the previous stigma of DotA 2 being all old guard who knew how to play is outdated.

It's not the biggest playerbase, but both it and League have a big enough playerbase that there shouldn't really be a reason to think either will be incapable of supporting matching new players to other new players.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    if you want to be cool in dota 2 make sure you call all the heroes by their dota 1 names

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Ubik wrote: »
    if you want to be cool in dota 2 uninstall this bad game

• Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    My first MOBA was Dota 2. I uninstalled it for the free space on my tiny HDD because I just play LoL or Smite instead.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I liked warcraft 3 thrall

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    i like dota 2 and i do not like LoL

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai SSSSSSSSSSS Registered User regular
    I think both games are alright.

xXNXOA7.png?1
  • Options
    Nikolai wrote: »

whoa buddy lets calm down

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Nikolai wrote: »

wow maybe try and not be so rude

• Options
    pudge with a blink dagger for most devious asshole of the year

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    they disabled fountain hooking after the last international, right? A shame, that was an amazing game to watch.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    yup its gone, rip maximum cheese

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5I-5eo_vDM

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    The change involved changing the location of where the hook pulls you, it used to pull you directly to pudge (thus when he got sent back fountain hook!) but now it just pulls you to the location of where pudge was when the hook landed so you can't hook and blink

magnus however can be sent back by chen while people are on his own for the same effect

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    i won an arena match 1 to 0! it was tense

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    pudge with a blink dagger for most devious asshole of the year

Pudge with Blink is threatening and really helps him, but at the same time everybody who thinks that Blink Pudge is the most threatening thing ever could be screwed far more by blink Bane. Pudge's strength (over bane) is not having a ridiculous amount of ult damage, but the fact he can engage on you from so far away with a proper hook. Blink into dismember is certainly a killer but if you can't land hooks, you'd have an easier laning phase and a better time overall with Bane.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    dota2 should hurry the fuck up and fix drag scrolling

it should only take like 5 lines of code

broken image link
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    pudge is devious solely on the fact that I keep forgetting he's aloud to buy blink now

just chilling on high ground, thinking i'm safe from the fat bastard because he has no way to quickly close the gap so I stand there

oh right blink dagger! death

but bane blink is good, not as good as tidehunter force staff

slide dunks with both anchor smash and ravage

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    The change involved changing the location of where the hook pulls you, it used to pull you directly to pudge (thus when he got sent back fountain hook!) but now it just pulls you to the location of where pudge was when the hook landed so you can't hook and blink

magnus however can be sent back by chen while people are on his own for the same effect

is it the location where the hook landed or the location he cast it from? if the former you could still fountain hook if he teleports before the hook actually connects.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    EvilCakeEvilCake Richmond VARegistered User regular
    Anyone want to play SMITE?

I think my name on there is Jozobad??? and I have the cupid voice pack, so beware.

• Options
    edited January 2014

What's drag scrolling?

EDIT: If you mean click and drag scrolling, I'm not seeing how that's particularly helpful compared to the current setup.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular

What's drag scrolling?

EDIT: If you mean click and drag scrolling, I'm not seeing how that's particularly helpful compared to the current setup.
    Fuzzbutt loves drag scrolling. Don't ask a bear to change his ways.

• Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    bah dumb image for the video so I shall just edit it out, it was just a yasuo 2 v 1 a riven and lucian.

stuff like that makes me want to pick up yasuo, but then I remember I would never play that way cause im a scrub

M.D. on
  • Options
    Coinage wrote: »

What's drag scrolling?

Fuzzbutt loves drag scrolling. Don't ask a bear to change his ways.

I'd prefer to keep the ability to select multiple units, and I don't see how you're gonna make drag scrolling work with right clicks.

I ate an engineer
  • Options

What's drag scrolling?

It's where you hold the middle mouse button (or whatever else you bind it to) and move the mouse to control the camera directly.

I really like it because I don't need to move the cursor away from the middle of the screen and back to scroll. I am so used to it that if it's not there, games become pretty unpleasant to play. Like playing an FPS with only the keyboard.

Starcraft 2 implements it really well. The distance the camera moves is proportional to how far the mouse moves, so you can quickly jump small or large distances very accurately. You can also set the sensitivity, whether it is inverted, and disable edge scrolling entirely to prevent accidents.

League works acceptably, but isn't as good; it's more like using a virtual joystick. Move the mouse up and the camera will keeps scrolling up.

The way Dota2 does it is absolute shit. The cursor stays on the screen and it drags the map, rather than moving the camera. Which means, if the cursor starts in the middle of the screen, the most you can ever scroll with one movement is half a screen, and then you still have to move the cursor back to the middle. So moving a decent distance requires moving the mouse back and forth repeatedly, instead of just one smooth movement.

broken image link
  • Options
    i am passionate about drag scrolling

broken image link
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular

is it the location where the hook landed or the location he cast it from? if the former you could still fountain hook if he teleports before the hook actually connects.
    it's where he casts from, they changed it to be that way in order to allow him to buy blink

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai SSSSSSSSSSS Registered User regular
    I want to try jungle leona in a real people game

xXNXOA7.png?1
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    If I were to try out Dota 2 and/or Smite would people be willing to put up with my terribleness to play with me and give me pointers?

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    only if they put up with my terribleness first

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
This discussion has been closed.