As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Borderlands 2] Pre-Sequel lands on the goddamn moon. Now with Improved Drop Rates!

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Huh Wilhelm isn't a robot? Wonder what the story is there.
    Spoiler, kinda?
    They've said that Wilhelm will start the game as a person, but by upgrading his skills over the course of the game, you'll be changing him (visually) into the robot we all know and have already killed.

sig.gif
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Casual SWORDSPLOSION get

• Options
    Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    No idea it was a reference?
    Were the quest names and Loggins' (quest giver, and another reference) text too subtle?

I think I saw Top Gun twenty years ago on a bus during a school trip? It seemed really boring.

• Options
    Where do you grind for magic missiles at, again?

• Options
    nvm got it

• Options
    Aaaaand now I've actually got it!

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    TVHM isn't too bad with Gauge (with Anarchy and a great gun) but it's better with friends.
    UVHM you need to have friends and a plan and then it's no longer a game but work.
    The trick to TVHM: use fire or corrosive weapons, depending upon what you fight.
    The trick to UVHM: use slag, then switch to a fire or corrosive weapon on the slagged target.

Pretty much every class can solo both TVHM and UVHM using those methods above. At least until OP2 or so.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Paraphrasing (because I don't remember the exact quote) of Anthony Burch's thoughts on BL2. Spoilery if you haven't finished the game.
    "Every so often I think I did a good job on Borderlands 2, but then I remember I still killed the black guy and kidnapped the woman."
    I don't agree with the first half of that sentiment. The "black guy" who gets killed halfway through the movie to fulfill the trope is never the main character, he is typically the best friend lancer-type to the main character. Roland was as much a main character in BL1 as any of the characters, and he was most certainly the leader-type.

Killing him does not precisely fulfill the trope. It might be a different trope, something to do with characters from the first part of a sequence who are killed off in a sequel in which the previous main characters have been demoted to supporting characters.

When he (and Bloodwing) were killed in BL2 I didn't get a "they killed the black guy" vibe. Instead I got what I believe to be the intentional vibe of "Oh hey, BL1 characters are all potentially on the chopping block here."

If he wants to berate himself in hindsight for killing off that particular character, that's his choice. But when you start adding real character diversity (such as making the black guy the leader type while the two white guys are your rogue and your thug (respectively) you are eventually going to run into an issue where handling those characters appropriately is at the same time going to butt into some other cliche despite your attempt to play against type.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    mmmmmm
    Love the Flamerock Refuge music.

cB557 on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Just wanted to share this. It's actually cropped from the front page of the Star Wars: The Old Republic site, advertising their new Tatooine player housing option. But when I saw it, all I could think was:

swtor-heyooo.jpg

"Heyooo!"

• Options
    Helloooooo Traveller~!

sig.gif
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Alright, just finished the Campaign of Carnage.
    Basically what I'm taking away from it is that Torgue isn't as awesome as TV Tropes promised me, and the only reason I'm there to claim the vault is because it'd be easier long term to play along instead of the Raiders coming in and securing the Vault.

build a time machine and go back in time and slap past you on the nose with a rolled up newspaper while yelling "NO! BAD!" at the exact moment past you's mouse cursor hovers over the link to TV Tropes

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    I'm still holding out hope that Claptrap's skill will be summoning Steve as a turret substitute.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Alright, just finished the Campaign of Carnage.
    Basically what I'm taking away from it is that Torgue isn't as awesome as TV Tropes promised me, and the only reason I'm there to claim the vault is because it'd be easier long term to play along instead of the Raiders coming in and securing the Vault.

build a time machine and go back in time and slap past you on the nose with a rolled up newspaper while yelling "NO! BAD!" at the exact moment past you's mouse cursor hovers over the link to TV Tropes
    Yeah, would've been nice to be able to play Dragon Keep without knowing about the climax in advance.
    Don't think it'd change CoC for me much, though. Not much of a plot to speak of.

• Options
    Yeah, Torgue's a little too on the nose sometimes. Like, obviously some tropes are going to happen, he doesn't need to point them out every single time.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Oddly enough, TV Tropes portrayed him as a guy who seems like he's a dumb muscley guy who's actually pretty damn smart. The impression I got is he's a fairly pleasant meathead. Much less awesome.

• Options
    Oddly enough, TV Tropes portrayed him as a guy who seems like he's a dumb muscley guy who's actually pretty damn smart. The impression I got is he's a fairly pleasant meathead. Much less awesome.
    He gets more character development (such as it is) in the second Headhunter DLC entitled The Horrible Hunger of the Ravenous Wattle Gobbler. And you get to meet his Grandma!

sig.gif
  • Options
    Sorce wrote: »
    He gets more character development (such as it is) in the second Headhunter DLC entitled The Horrible Hunger of the Ravenous Wattle Gobbler. And you get to meet his Grandma!

Who is a terrible troll.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Torgue is the bees knees.

Easily my favourite character.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Alright, TVHM is a go.

Only bummer is I've got level 35 gear on a level 42 character and enemies scale to character leve- wait, no, these Bullymongs are level 33. We're good.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    It's uvhm that scales to character level.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Taken from Bahroo's youtube channel, the top 5 weapons by type.

Note that all are fire/corrosive, except when note otherwise (exceptions tend to be explosive), so you need to match element with target. Also note that enemy shield bars tend to be much smaller than enemy health bars, so switching to shock weapons to take down shields is unnecessary outside of raid bosses.

Aka, red health bars = hit with fire, yellow health bars = hit with corrosive, raid boss with shield = hit with shock until no shield then swap weapons, skeletons = hit with corrosive, glass skeletons (brittle/enchanted) = hit with explosive or melee.

Top 5 shotguns:
    5. Practical Butcher, 7.31M dps, 13.17M dps crit, ammo often regenerates while shooting
    4. Critical Hit Jolly Roger, 6.54M dps, 17.05M dps crit
    3. Royal Omen, 14.04M dps, 29.23M dps crit, 100% splash damage, large shot pattern requires close range
    2. Practical Conference Call, 18.94M dps, 33.95M dps crit, no splash damage, med range due to shot pattern
    1. Practical Interfacer, 22M dps, 61,25M dps crit, iron sights only, odd shot pattern lowers dps at med range

Note: splash damage increased by grenade talents, even for fire/corrosive element, in addition to explosive, for all weapon types.

Top 5 sub machine guns:
    5. Hyperion Proactive Plasma Caster, 4.87M dps, 7.55M dps crit, 50% e-tech splash damage
    4. Proactive Bitch, 3.1M dps, 8.79M dps crit, 97% accuracy, gets more accurate as your fire for easy crits
    3. Murdering Bone Shredder, 6.69M dps, 11.54M dps crit, 30% accuracy means close range only
    2. Flying Sandhawk, 8.93M dps, 16.73M dps crit, best weapon with Bee shield, must zoom for rapid fire
    1. Bladded Tattler, 9.87M dps, 17.57M dps crit, 56% accuracy means med range or closer, 82 rd mag

Honorable mentions:
    - Impetuous Florentine: splash is slag, not electrical, and being slag/electrical hurts dps
    - Proactive Actualizer: lacks splash damage and long reload hurts dps
    - Impetuous Hellfire: always fire limits usage, as it's top 5 against fire susceptible targets
    - Flying Lascaux: always non-elemental hurts dps

Top 5 assault rifles:
    5. Ferocious Hail, 9.11M dps, 14.36M dps crit, pain in the butt to use due to high parabolic bullet path
    4. Rabid Kitten, 8.92M dps, 14.07M dps crit, 2.5% heal, requires close range due to shot spread
    3. Wild Ogre, 8.93M dps, 14.09M dps crit, explosive, 81 rd mag
    2. Ferocious Lead Storm, 12.78M dps, 23.08M dps crit, slow arcing bullets means close/med range
    1. Horse Bekah, 14.06M dps, 48.49M dps crit, non-elemental only, med range for 3 shots to hit

Top 5 rocket launchers:
    5. dum pa Duuurp!, 15.34M dps, explosive, slow rocket speed
    4. Turbulent Topneaa, 16.38M dps, 50% e-tech splash damage (infinite ammo for Sham shields)
    3. Rappid Badaboom, 25.72M dps, almost no splash damage, rockets split so must be close/med range
    2. dum pa Creamer, 29.75M dps, explosive, 2.5% heal, med range sweet spot for 3 hits
    1. Puissant Norfleet, 36.7M dps, large splash radius, highest damage per shot

Note: rocket launcher dps based on reload canceling, aka melee as soon as reload animation shows ammo is in magazine, to shave off 1-2 seconds of reload time.

Top 5 pistols:
    5. Redundant Fibber, 15.46M dps, 26.98M dps crit, pain in the butt to use since you have to bounce shots
    4. Garnet Anarchist, 7.83M dps, 15.05M dps crit, for double shot variant, 77% accuracy
    3. Dva Stalker, 8.4M dps, 15.12M dps crit, 66% accuracy
    2. Double Penetrating Unkempt Harold, 14.81M dps, 23.61M dps crit, explosive, assuming only 10 shots hit
    1. Redundant Lady Fist, 2.27M dps, 26.15M dps crit, 92% accuracy, gets more accurate as you fire for easy crits

Top 5 sniper rifles:
    5. Operational Invader, 3.78M dps, 11.28M dps crit, aim to increase fire rate greatly (to ~7)
    4. Suppressive Pitchfork, 3.85M dps, 12.62M dps crit, shot spread means med range or closer
    3. Skorry Droog, 6.07 dps, 20.19 dps crit
    2. Banbury Pimpernel, 16.48M dps, 38.77M dps crit, best for Bee shield, has a hard to learn sweet spot
    1. Skorry Lyuda, 18.41M dps, 69M dps crit, has a sweet spot

----

Since I no longer Bee shield stuff, my current load out for pretty much all my classes is:
    fire+corrosive Practical Conference Call (uses less ammo than Interfacer)
    fire+corrosive Bladed Tattler
    electrical Flying Sandhawk (for raid boss shields)
    Wild Ogre (for glass skeletons)
    Horse Bekah
    dum pa Creamer (uses less ammo than Norfleet and heals post second wind)
    Double Penetrating Unkempt Harold
    slag Evisceration Grog Nozzle (for slag+heals)
    fire+corrosive Skorry Lyuda
    Tumtum Trespasser (to ignore shields)

hsu on
    iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I just realized I played through the game without doing any of the DLC stuff. Huh. Need to stop TVHM and go back and do them, although I am probably somewhat overleveled.

• Options
    Yeah, it's pretty boring going through them at level 40 and getting only level 30-35 loot.

• Options
    By the way, is it worth investing in Gaige's slag ability when I already have magic missile?

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Fortunately, I'm only level 33, so it looks like the DLCs are mostly perfect for me.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Do Torgue and Scarlet first, they're the lower level ones. Then move onto Tina and Hammerlock.

Tell me when you're doing Scarlet because I wanna derp around with the skiff
    not gonna steal kills or loot from you or anything, just gonna
    kinda sit on the from of the skiff
    as we jump stuff

cB557 on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    No offense to anyone here but you know who else didn't like Tiny Tina? Hitler. Also, Locutus of the Borg.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I have to say, Tina is a lot more tolerable in her DLC.

Also, which Fast Travel locations are Scarlet and Torgue? Badass crater is Torgue, but the other one? Cause I think I only have Torgue and Tina from the edition I got.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I have to say, Tina is a lot more tolerable in her DLC.

Also, which Fast Travel locations are Scarlet and Torgue? Badass circle is probably Torgue, but the other one?
    Oasis.

Yeah, hoping we get more character development for her in the next game. I gotta say, that was something 2 did really well. Just that kinda background character development. Specifically with Moxxi and Ellie. They both have a pretty archetypal exterior, but they're pretty deep characters underneath that. Hoping we see even more of that in whatever they call Borderlands 3. Oh, and I imagine we'll get some good character stuff in that Telltale game.

cB557 on
  • Options
    Nevermind, I do have Oasis. And I assume Hunter's Grotto is Hammerlock, booth for the obvious, and because it comes before Sanctuary. I R Smrt

• Options
    yup

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Ok, Torgue being an idiot but completely genre savvy is pretty funny.

Also, a weird bug before I go to bed: While doing the death race, it does not seem to acknowledge that I actually pass the checkpoints. The diamond moves on the map, but not in the quest log.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    hsu wrote: »
    Taken from Bahroo's youtube channel, the top 5 weapons by type.
    Yeah, but this doesn't take into consideration character skills (for the payment of bills). Non-boosted DPS is great and all, but sometimes you need to roll differently.

The backstories and character development stuff (usually in the form of randomly-placed ECHO recorders) was a great idea. A lot of good stuff in there.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    My one problem with that stuff is there was no way to replay any ECHO if it was interrupted.

• Options
    Could you replay them in 1? I don't remember. I vaguely have the feeling that you might have been able to but I've uninstalled it.

I remember not liking that you can't replay them in 2.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I am 99% certain you could replay the audio files in BL1.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    yeah, I believe you could. It was buried through a couple of menus though.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Yep, you could replay ECHO recorders in the menu. I had to do it a few times on Tannis's retrievals.

Not sure why they removed it.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Any new word on Tales? PreSeq seems to have stolen the spot light.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
This discussion has been closed.