As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Templar Intrigue] Let the torture commence!

InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats.Registered User regular
edited January 2014 in Critical Failures
Our story so far...

King Philip IV of France has extremely ambitious goals for his family and offspring to be rulers all over Europe. Ambitions can be expensive, especially when you add the cost of modern warfare with the English. As a result, King Philip finds himself searching for money.

Philip signs over lands (and their associated rents) to the Knights Templar in exchange for immediate cash. Later, he can recover the lands by giving the cash back to the Templars. A clever way to perform lending in a land where charging interest is against the law.

After many years, King Philip IV of France is deeply indebted to the Knights Templar who now control most of the land that used to belong to Philip. The war with England and his spendthrift lifestyle might be his downfall. In 1306, Philip expels the Jews from France in an effort to recover some of their wealth.

In 1307 there seems to be no hope for the once wealthy King to recover the lands that are in Templar control. But the King of France still wields immense political power. Being a clever man, he sees an opportunity to recover what he has lost.

Historically, on Friday the 13th of October in 1307 King Philip had the Knights Templar in France arrested to be later tortured into confessing to the crime of heresy which is punishable by death. Philip never recovered the lands which he traded to the Templar for the wealth which he squandered.

In this game, we will see if history repeats itself or if it can be changed by the cunning of Philip and his team of monks and Templar traitors.

In Templar Intrigue, our players will take on various roles: King Philip of France, Templar Grandmaster, Templar Archivist, Templar Knights, Templar Traitors, and Benedictine Monks who work for Philip. Some will be helping King Philip to hunt down the Grandmaster and Archivist, while others will be responsible for obfuscating their identities.

The game is played in short, quick, brutal rounds, with teams being switched up randomly after each (un)successful "hand".

The Rules
One player is identified to all as King Philip.

The rest of the players are randomly dealt Identity cards. Those who are Templar will be known to all as Templar. Those who are Monks will be known to all as Monks.

There are 6 Knights Templar who oppose King Philip. One of which is the Templar Grandmaster, a target for Philip, and 3 of which are Traitors, who win with King Philip.
There are 3 Benedictine Monks who serve King Philip, one of them, however, is actually the Templar Archivist, who wins with the Templars.

King Philip is known to everyone.
The Templar Grandmaster is known to all Templar, including the Traitors.
The Templar Grandmaster and the Templar Archivist know each other. They must avoid being caught by Philip.
Templar Traitors do not know one another, and are not known to King Philip.

King Philip may ask each monk (including the hidden Archivist) to view the identity card of another player of his choosing and report back. After all three of the monks have done the King's bidding, it is time for discussion and the real game to begin.

The round ends when Philip picks two players, a Templar and a Monk, to be arrested. If he picks out both the Grandmaster and the Archivist, his team scores a point. If he fails to identify both, then the Templar-aligned team scores a point. Then the roles are shuffled and a new round begins.

No speaking via PM. All conversations are had out in the open in the thread, meaning Monks report to King Philip in the thread.

First player(s) to 3 points win.

Pretty simple, right?

Feel free to !signup if interested!

Players:
1) ObiFett
2) discrider
3) Rhan9
4) Daemonis
5) Hippie
6) jdarksun (I think?)
7) Mikey CTS
8) ArcSyn
9) Hedgethorn
10)

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
InkSplat on

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    This looks fun

!signup

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    WHEEE

!signup

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Yay! Hoping this will be fun to watch. Reading the Resistance: Avalon thread is definitely entertaining!

• Options
    Do the Monks report back in thread, or privately just to King Phillip?

• Options
    In the thread. There's no PMing going on, except by me.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    !signup

• Options
    DaemonisDaemonis Registered User regular
    !signup

• Options
    HippieHippie Registered User regular
    Oh, now this does look interesting.

!signup

• Options
    Added you all to the list. :)

• Options
    We can play with at least 8, I think. Just just a few more we can consider starting rather than letting it fizzle out.

• Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    So, 7 is actually enough, so, as long as jdarksun is actually signed up, you guys'll be able to play for sure. But can't hurt to wait a bit longer to see if we can fill up!

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I've never played one of these games before. Would a newbie infuriate anyone?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    ArcSyn wrote: »

Feel free to join. This game is designed to be played quick and over multiple rounds, so even if you suck at first, you'll have another chance to do well, and not really waste a huge span of anyone's time. And no one here has played this game at all, so everyone is at least a partial newbie!

Speaking of that, though, some thing for everyone to consider:

Given that the Templar Traitors know who the Grandmaster is, they can absolutely start the game by saying "I'm a Traitor, and he is the Grandmaster!"

Of course, the loyal Templars can do the exact same thing, so, yeah.

The Grandmaster is definitely the easier of the two for Philip to find, but remember, he has to find both the Grandmaster and Archivist, which makes things a bit trickier.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    !signup
    Alright, let's try this.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    InkSplat wrote: »

Feel free to join. This game is designed to be played quick and over multiple rounds, so even if you suck at first, you'll have another chance to do well, and not really waste a huge span of anyone's time. And no one here has played this game at all, so everyone is at least a partial newbie!

Given that the Templar Traitors know who the Grandmaster is, they can absolutely start the game by saying "I'm a Traitor, and he is the Grandmaster!"

The Grandmaster is definitely the easier of the two for Philip to find, but remember, he has to find both the Grandmaster and Archivist, which makes things a bit trickier.

Well, if we're going to spell out for everyone pre-game, then there's a 1 in 3 chance of a Phillip win.
    Archivist has no reason to lie, and any lying will be found out by the spies and the remaining monks immediately anyway.
    The only other person who has any knowledge about the Archivist is the Grand Master, so it is literally his communication or lack thereof that determines any swing away from straight random chance.
    Otherwise it's just 3 monks slagging off at each other.

Oh, and the Grand Master is always known by Phillip.

discrider on
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    !signup

Never even heard of this game before, but I'll give it a try.

• Options
    discrider wrote: »

Well, if we're going to spell out for everyone pre-game, then there's a 1 in 3 chance of a Phillip win.
    Archivist has no reason to lie, and any lying will be found out by the spies and the remaining monks immediately anyway.
    The only other person who has any knowledge about the Archivist is the Grand Master, so it is literally his communication or lack thereof that determines any swing away from straight random chance.

I wasn't looking to "spell it all out", I just wanted to make some things clear, since we don't have any experienced players.

Its "random chance" as much as any other social game. I disagree that the Archivist can't lie in the right circumstances, though, and given that there are twice as many honest Templar as Traitor Templars, its not at all assured that Philip will actually identify them. And if the honest Templar get Philip to waste even a single one, that's a step towards winning. Not only that, but you could argue that Philip using his monks on other monks might be more beneficial. So I think there are definitely things going on in the game rather than a die roll.

And I'll admit that maybe this isn't as suited to pbp as Resistance seemed to be, and maybe the table presence is really required to make it work, but eh, can't hurt to try.

Though, I'm wondering if 9 is a better number than 10 for the game. The 10th player adds a second Traitor, whereas 9 still only has just the one, which seems to only benefit Philip. I guess we'll see how it all works, though!

• Options
    edited January 2014

I wasn't looking to "spell it all out", I just wanted to make some things clear, since we don't have any experienced players.

Its "random chance" as much as any other social game. I disagree that the Archivist can't lie in the right circumstances, though, and given that there are twice as many honest Templar as Traitor Templars, its not at all assured that Philip will actually identify them. And if the honest Templar get Philip to waste even a single one, that's a step towards winning. Not only that, but you could argue that Philip using his monks on other monks might be more beneficial. So I think there are definitely things going on in the game rather than a die roll.

And I'll admit that maybe this isn't as suited to pbp as Resistance seemed to be, and maybe the table presence is really required to make it work, but eh, can't hurt to try.

Though, I'm wondering if 9 is a better number than 10 for the game. The 10th player adds a second Traitor, whereas 9 still only has just the one, which seems to only benefit Philip. I guess we'll see how it all works, though!

Twice as many honest Templar as Traitor Templars? In the OP it states that there are 3 traitors to 3 (Grandmaster + 2) normal Templars.

And I had missed the part where monks could investigate other monks.
    In the case where they cannot, with 3:3 Templars, lies are instantly discernable.

discrider on
  • Options
    Whoops, my mistake. Should only be 2 Traitors at 10 players. 1 at 9.

And monks can investigate any other player, per Philips orders.

• Options
    Ahhh, that makes the Grand Master so much less obvious :P

• Options
    Alright, so, I figure I'll pm roles tonight once I get back from my game night.

If anyone wants to volunteer for the first King Philip, feel free to speak up, as that role can be handed out by player choice rather than determined randomly, but if no one wants to, I'll just add it to the pool.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Alrighty! PMs all sent out. As mentioned above, since there are 9 players, there is 1 Templar Traitor.

King Philip: jdarksun
    Monks: discrider, Mikey CTS, and Hedgethorn

vs

Templars: ObiFett, Rhan9, Daemonis, Hippie, and ArcSyn

Round 1. FIGHT!

InkSplat on
  • Options
    So...
    Are we meant to start putting ideas into JDark's head now? Or after he's nominated orders?

• Options
    edited January 2014
    So...
    Are we meant to start putting ideas into JDark's head now? Or after he's nominated orders?

Discussion/accusations/waterboarding begins immediately. jPhilipsun can command a monk to spy at any time.

InkSplat on
  • Options
    Right, so I'm a Benedictine Monk and not the Archivist, please pick another monk to hang so we both get points JDark.
    That pointless statement said, all you Templar lot should start accusing one another before I'm even going to bother looking at your roles.

• Options
    Your Majesty! I'm a templar but I've always benn your true servant! I believe its time to reveal myself and inform you that Templar Magister is ObiFett. Hang him as soon as possible.
    Now I would advise you to send your monks againts each other as there is a traitor among them

• Options
    Nice try Daemonis.
    NEXT~!

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    discrider is bluffing, he's really the archivist!

• Options
    -_-

Templars are meant to be accusing Templars of being the Grand Master.
    Now obviously, if you want to go ahead and claim Grand Master as well as accuse me of being the Archivist that's fine and all, but we're just looking for your input in the first matter largely.

• Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    Rhan was very quick to point the finger. Perhaps he is the archivist, looking to obfuscate his true role.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    Mikey CTS wrote: »
    Rhan was very quick to point the finger. Perhaps he is the archivist, looking to obfuscate his true role.
    He cannot be the Archivist, the Archivist is one of monks. Probably you, as you started accusing left and right...

• Options
    I would hope the Archivist would have a better handle on what exactly he does as a job.
    Which would make the yet unspoken for Hedgethorn the Archivist.
    But this is yet still pointless speculation. The Agenda for today is quite clearly:

1. Expose the Grand Master
    2. Monks make merry
    3. Expose the Archivist
    4. Hang the whole Templar clan
    5. Break for lunch

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    I'm not the Archivist. I'v been too busy carefully transcribing ancient manuscripts to get it involved with the Templars. But I'm happy to investigate anyone you ask, King Philip, including ferreting out which monk is the traitor to our King.

• Options
    Then I realise "transcribing ancient manuscripts" is exactly archiving.

• Options
    Surely I'm not going to be that obvious.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Well I don't know.
    It's currently a close race between the Archivist who can't help but tell people he manages Archives for a living and the Archivist who doesn't know what a Monk is.

discrider on
  • Options
    This is what I get for being a medieval historian in real life and trying to inject a little flavor into the game.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    I would have thought King Philip's 'Monks' would have less to do with the transcription of various works and more to do with the inducement of various confessions.

Reading a bit into the history atm, the Monks are likely the Cardinals who voted in a Pope for Philip who then denounced his own superiority over secular rulers, allowing Philip to then assume control of and disband the Templars.
    But originally, I had the feeling that the Monks were referring to some sort of Inquisition-style robed figure, however historical that may be.

discrider on