As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Closing Ceremony and farewell to Sochi [Winter Olympics]

• Options
    simosimo Registered User regular
    well i guess i root for canada now because they have bergeron and sweden has the sedins

bugss2.jpg
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Well, a Sedin.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Im happy canada won, but im disappointed that finland lost.

Im hoping for a finland victory over the states

• Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Tonkka wrote: »
    Well, a Sedin.

A Swedin.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    9b7l5Kb.jpg

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    2 people got kicked out for doping, a German bobsledder and someone else.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »

This made me more sad that the actual outcome of the game.

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    Tara and Johnny are breaking down the scoring for figure skating

If you still think people were robbed

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    My god this speed skating relay race is insane, impossible to follow but somehow still possible.

Crazy exciting too.

Although it makes zero sense what the Korean guy is doing on Russia's team, shouldn't he be on Koreans team? Do country changes happen that often?

Barcardi on
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I was wondering earlier if I'd trade leading the medal table for a gold in Men's Hockey.

Thanks for resolving that moral quandary, Team Canada.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Sheri wrote: »

You can view a scoring breakdown at sochi2014.com
    http://www.sochi2014.com/en/figure-skating-ladies-free-skating

It all comes down to whether or not you believe the Russian girl deserves a higher choreography score and higher Grade of Execution scores. The commentators didn't seem to think so, but that's hardly relevant. Honestly, regardless of shenanigans I probably feel worst for Sotnikova, since she's getting painted with this weird unfairness brush despite skating her ass off.
    I was wondering earlier if I'd trade leading the medal table for a god in Men's Hockey.

Thanks for resolving that moral quandary, Team Canada.

GIS for Hockey God

EDIT: Spoiler'd for rennaisance nudity.
    hockey+gods.jpg

Taramoor on
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Barcardi wrote: »
    My god this speed skating relay race is insane, impossible to follow but somehow still possible.

Crazy exciting too.

Although it makes zero sense what the Korean guy is doing on Russia's team, shouldn't he be on Koreans team? Do country changes happen that often?

It's not super uncommon, honestly, although it's usually not the elite athletes who do it - more the ones who probably won't crack their national team so they go somewhere with a shallow talent pool. The fact that Ahn is having so much success just goes to show how dominant Korea is in short-track - he probably could have made any national team other than his own back in Vancouver, and while I don't know his exact reasoning, the possibility that he wasn't sure he'd make team Korea this time either is only further indication of just how strong they are in this sport.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    1907586_10152226446960266_2133051896_n.jpg

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    I enjoy the parallel snowboard slalom event, but the timing system irks me.

So basically (for those who haven't seen it) it's a bracket format of 1v1 races on parallel courses. Each race features two runs, where the riders swap courses for each to balance out any advantage one side may have over the other.

After the first run, the rider who won takes their time advantage into the second run, up to 1.5 seconds. So even if a rider crashes out in the first run, they still start the second with a 1.5 second time gap (their gate being time-delayed). And here's what bugs me: whoever crosses the line first in the secon run wins the overall heat. This seems unfair to me, if someone wins by, say, several seconds or their opponent crashes in the first run, and yet they're 1.500000001 slower in the second run, they lose. And it seems to kind of completely outweigh every attempt at balancing out the two courses by having them swap sides.

The only part that kinda mitigates that last aspect is that each racer qualifies with two combined runs, one on each side, with the higher seed getting to choose which course they take first, so I guess that makes it a bit more fair and makes qualifying more important. But the whole thing just feels off to me, although I realize that so many factors require some compromise.

Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Barcardi wrote: »
    2 people got kicked out for doping, a German bobsledder and someone else.

italian bobsledder and german biathlete. The German already had a suspension for a few days in 2006.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    oh man oh man
    Men's Biathlon relay
    C'mon Norway!

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    The German Biathlete for blood doping?
    I looked it up and find it funny in 2006 she was given the same stuff I was

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    :(

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Jesus, 4-0, way to give up, guys.

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Sheri wrote: »

You can view a scoring breakdown at sochi2014.com
    http://www.sochi2014.com/en/figure-skating-ladies-free-skating

It all comes down to whether or not you believe the Russian girl deserves a higher choreography score and higher Grade of Execution scores. The commentators didn't seem to think so, but that's hardly relevant. Honestly, regardless of shenanigans I probably feel worst for Sotnikova, since she's getting painted with this weird unfairness brush despite skating her ass off.

The nbc 8pm commentary completely agreed with the judges

As did Tara and Johnny.

• Options
    Man today was just depressing, half the men's slalomn was just a discussion of what a bastard the course designer was.

Then Jamaica and USA didn't get bobsled medals and canada almost died.

But none of this matters because I discovered Mantracker on Canadian TV. This show is amazing. This should be an Olympic sport.

• Options
    Bobsled isn't over! That was only half the race!

And the US team is only .01 out of bronze position and only .17 down from gold!

Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    Wait shit really? I'm back in. Still, mantracker!

• Options
    Runs 3-4 start in just over two hours (4:30am EST).

Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Mantracker is pretty dope.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Also about half an hour into the men's 50km cross-country race, the field is still mostly together but some of the stronger skiers are heading to the front. And the USA's Noah Hoffman has been staying in the top 5. It's a loooong race, but at least for now he looks good.

(Spoiler: the Norwegians are going to stop hanging around the middle of the pack and take it over and drop most everyone else.)

facetious on
    Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Welp. (50k spoilers)
    Russia sweeps the medals in the penultimate event of the games. Crazy. And they'll probably win the bobsled to take the last gold as well.

facetious on
    Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    is nobody watching this god-damned hockey game?

i spose i should spoiler notes huh

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I am, and holy shit that was way too close

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I'm not watching hockey because hockey is dead to me

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    okay seriously guys, it'd be totally okay if you wanted to play at least some of the game in Sweden's end. Price won't get lonely, I swear.

• Options
    i'm looking forward to a great game as opposed to a victory by either team. on one hand, swedish victory would be a great confidence boost to my team (the canucks)

on the other, if i openly rooted against canada my partner would divorce me.

no marriage counselor, no trial separation. fuckin' divorced

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    GOOOOOAAALLL

• Options
    edited February 2014
    TOEWS SCORES

GO CANADA

CAPITAL LETTERS

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    goalies are getting worked out. could be 4-2 by now

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Sweden is pushing hard, but it means they're giving up a ton of odd-man rushes because their defencemen are so aggressive

• Options
    lundqvist worked for torts though, he's used to it...

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    GOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLL

• Options
    as far as first goals of the tournament go, Crosby picked a good time

• Options
    great period for canada - sweden looked increasingly desperate. i think their big chance was striking with speed early - it'll be hard for them to claw back now that canada's grind has started to take its toll...

but we'll see!

sC4Q4nq.jpg