As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Risen from a 60 million year slumber, the SE++ [Warhammer 40000] thread

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    BmnG84aCAAAkuDm.jpg
    I made a Chaos thing

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    I like it! You gonna dedicate it to a certain power or is it just gonna be some horrid amalgamation of the entropic forces?

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    That is very cool. What is it?

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Slaanesh, of course.
    It's a counts-as Keeper of Secrets because fuck any material that isn't plastic.

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Of course. I should have known form the av.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Wait a second (Eisenhorn spoiler)
    Bequin is alive?

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    The best Tau is Shas'O Kais.

Fucker's first day on active duty put him up against an army of space marines, then an army of chaos space marines, then a fucking Bloodthirster.

Bigger workload than most Space Marines get.

Then, after some serious time in therapy from, you know, having Khorne influencing him directly, losing an arm, massive PTSD, etc etc etc, he managed to get promoted to using a crisis suit and a command position!

...Where he kept up his record of not dying while his ethereal was killed horribly. Really, they need to stop trusting that guy with them. Maybe start with something smaller. Like a goldfish or something.

Wasn't Kais the guy in Dawn of War?

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Which of the Inquisitor books came first? Eisenhorn?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Eisenhorn is the first series yeah.
    Then Ravenor, then whatever the last one is called, haven't read those ones yet.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Pariah

Which you should read

because it's really good

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    That's the one, I'll pick it up at some point no doubt.
    Although I guess I should probably re-read the others first as a refresher.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

Fucker's first day on active duty put him up against an army of space marines, then an army of chaos space marines, then a fucking Bloodthirster.

Then, after some serious time in therapy from, you know, having Khorne influencing him directly, losing an arm, massive PTSD, etc etc etc, he managed to get promoted to using a crisis suit and a command position!

...Where he kept up his record of not dying while his ethereal was killed horribly. Really, they need to stop trusting that guy with them. Maybe start with something smaller. Like a goldfish or something.

Fan theory is that Shas'la Kais becomes Shais'O after his ordeal in Fire Warrior (IE, they're the same guy).

Though continuity says otherwise (but really, when did that ever stop someone?).

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

Apparently, some devs and writers have mentioned that was the idea, if the internet can be trusted. They're also from the same homeworld and share a name.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    lookit this (s)mug bastard

fQhxgse.jpg

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    lookit this (s)mug bastard

fQhxgse.jpg

Fucking Ultramarines

Smug as shit

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    At one point I wondered "There are Angry Marines and Reasonable Marines, why isn't there a Smug Marines parody?". Then I realized that a Smug Marines chapter would be identical in every way to the Ultramarines.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Petition for Dreamworks to do an Ultramarines movie.

• Options
    We already had a CG ultramarines movie and it sucked no thanks

• Options
    tumblr_n4ruc5sQqB1shal57o1_1280.jpg

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    I have a hard time hating the Ultramarines, if only because Captain Titus is both a mensch and a baller.

That game was so baller.

So baller.

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    tumblr_n4ruc5sQqB1shal57o1_1280.jpg

E nomine Imperato Rex?

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    I have a hard time hating the Ultramarines, if only because Captain Titus is both a mensch and a baller.

That game was so baller.

So baller.

Oh, no-one's arguing against Titus ruling.

It's just the typical Smurf is less Titus and more... Leandros.

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular

That game was so baller.

So baller.

Oh, no-one's arguing against Titus ruling.

It's just the typical Smurf is less Titus and more... Leandros.

Very true, but still... For the EMPRAH!!!!

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    The Codex Astartes is a set of rules. They guide us....shape us as Ultramarines...teach us how to hold duty and honor sacred above all. But how we live with those rules is the true test of a Space Marine...

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    New edition of 40k is gonna allow people to ignore the force org chart. Also bringing back the psychic phase.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    Here's an idea. On the edge of victory, the White Scars cause the failure of the Sabbat World's Crusade by manner of corruption and betrayal. The remaining Guard strength is able to route the Scars and secure a lengthy withdrawal action to more coreward worlds. The high Lord Commander Militant is assassinated. The Inquisition moves to silence the returning armies, but fails against an entire crusade force. Influence spreads throughout the galaxy, of how space marines have betrayed mankind again. The Imperium burns as the guard and navy turn on all remaining loyalist chapter and burn them down to geneseed ash. Terra is shattered into dust, the hidden manufacturing methods of Mars are stolen, and a second Great Crusade begins.

• Options
    The Sabbat Crusade had been over for a thousand years or so by the events of the Eye of Terror.

• Options
    The Sabbat Crusade had been over for a thousand years or so by the events of the Eye of Terror.

Not the one in the Guant books

• Options
    oh wait so...salvations reach is somebit around 781.M41, which is a chapter of actual well written storyline, and the 13th black crusade, which was just a bullshit trade mag story focused around what gaming shops reported and is said to take place around 999.M41, man I wonder which would be easier to retcon

• Options
    edited May 2014
    The 13th Black Crusade was amazing, are you kidding? The funny part is that nearly half of what went down in that campaign wasn't written anywhere but on the campaign website. There have been books and codexies written about the Eye of Terror campaign, though.

It would be easier to retcon the Sabbat Crusade, as it's impact within the game is minimal compared to the Eye of Terror campaign.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    oh wait so...salvations reach is somebit around 781.M41, which is a chapter of actual well written storyline, and the 13th black crusade, which was just a bullshit trade mag story focused around what gaming shops reported and is said to take place around 999.M41, man I wonder which would be easier to retcon

Probably the one not made and propagated by Games-Workshop directly.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    so, last saturday we wrapped an Only War campaign we've been playing for about a year.

good times

most people went through about 2 characters. I went through 3. one dude managed to play the same character the whole way through. he was a stormtrooper though, so

• Options
    Only War is the one rpg in this setting I think I would love to play. I love the Guard. I really need to spend some time getting my army into shape.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Only War is great because there's lots you can do with it. Like, what type of regiment you play vastly changes what kind of campaign it is. An armored regiment campaign plays completely differently than a bunch of drop-trooper infiltrators, for example.

I saw online some guy took the rules for Only War and instead of Imperial Guard, the players were Gue'vesa Auxiliaries in the Tau Empire. So, humans that worked for the Tau. Pretty wild.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I did that for the table top. After I got my tau battle force, and painted a squad of fire warriors and crisis suit I wanted to play them Now. So I got my friend to loan me a squad of guard and he had to put down the Xenos scum and traitors.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I love the idea of humans not being the most awesome species in the galaxy and having to figure out how to survive, so the tau auxiliaries things is fascinating.

• Options
    I think I finally understood why I like the Cain novels as a true representation of the 40k universe.

See... everyone in this universe (humans, anyway) are part of a government which sanctions fanaticism. The right kind, at any rate. And there are always people who buy into a religion and go full bore. To survive such a place, you have to either fit in, or you never go anywhere in life. Perhaps, by being the person he is, Cain just kept faking it until he became as successful he is.

That would also explain the Sister who smokes cigars and plays cards. Perhaps she is another example of this as well. And why she and Cain got along.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I find that I like reading the 40k novels more than the 30k novels. I really enjoy the structure and settings of the wartorn 41st Millenium. I do like how the space marines in the HH novels are more human seeming, while still appearing larger than life. But I really enjoy the 40k IG novels.

I guess there's just something about a regular person, with nothing but a low power rifle, facing opponents and horrors that could rip him in half with their bare hands. In fact, they have systems in place to prevent people from just running, and giving in to their own instincts. I watched the first part of Enemy at the Gates last night while trying to paint some Valhallans, and the scene where the commissars and soldiers are machine gunning their own retreating troops is horrifying. They were thrown at enemy forces to just get slaughtered for no goal whatsoever, and then when they tried to survifve, their own people killed them.

I can totally see that happening in 40k and for some reason, in real life, I can find that horrifying, but in 40k... well, there are demons out there, and monsters, and they wil f' you up. And everyone you know. They have to be stopped, and if the only way to stop them is to make sure your troops don't run, then by all means, make sure they don't run any way you can.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is I just love 40k fiction, especially IG fiction.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    I find that I like reading the 40k novels more than the 30k novels. I really enjoy the structure and settings of the wartorn 41st Millenium. I do like how the space marines in the HH novels are more human seeming, while still appearing larger than life. But I really enjoy the 40k IG novels.

I guess there's just something about a regular person, with nothing but a low power rifle, facing opponents and horrors that could rip him in half with their bare hands. In fact, they have systems in place to prevent people from just running, and giving in to their own instincts. I watched the first part of Enemy at the Gates last night while trying to paint some Valhallans, and the scene where the commissars and soldiers are machine gunning their own retreating troops is horrifying. They were thrown at enemy forces to just get slaughtered for no goal whatsoever, and then when they tried to survifve, their own people killed them.

I can totally see that happening in 40k and for some reason, in real life, I can find that horrifying, but in 40k... well, there are demons out there, and monsters, and they wil f' you up. And everyone you know. They have to be stopped, and if the only way to stop them is to make sure your troops don't run, then by all means, make sure they don't run any way you can.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is I just love 40k fiction, especially IG fiction.

That's not actually historically accurate, y'know. It never actually happened.

EDIT: While they did arrest a lot and executed some of the retreaters, they were never on the front lines.

Elaro on
    Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    you seriously linked yahoo answers