As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Suns out, guns out [Strength Training]

• Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    So there was a bit of a hoo-hah about a supplement article by the Examine.com head in the Guardian recently and I was genuinely astonished by the stupidity in the comment section and idiotic article that followed.

http://examine.com/blog/scientific-research-and-our-article-in-the-guardian/

I can't believe how willing people are to dismiss without a moment's thought such a good resource. It's pretty depressing.

Jimmy Marku on
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    Anyone have any brand recommendations for cheap/best bang for your buck protein powder, and creatine?

• Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    Ugh my knee is aching today like it's gonna rain... except there's not a cloud in the sky. This is some bullshit, knee. Maybe a walk down to the store will warm it up a bit.

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    CangoFett wrote: »
    Anyone have any brand recommendations for cheap/best bang for your buck protein powder, and creatine?

For protein powder, Optimum Nutrition is often recommended. I get mine from vitaminshoppe.com because they usually have good prices and free shipping for $25+.

• Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    I just got some syntha 6 recently, and while I wouldn't really recommend it because it has a few too many carbs, damn if it wasn't the tastiest protein powder I've gotten.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    You can get big cheap bags of Muscletech's stuff from Sam's Club, that seems pretty ok. You can get bulk creatine from Amazon for not much.

• Options
    MogsMogs Registered User regular
    So two weeks in a row my squats have been lousy. Gonna bump it back to last month's numbers and ease back into it. My hips keep shooting up faster than the bar and it turns into a way too heavy good morning.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Box squats, @Mogs.

Also I snatched 80 for two doubles and my pull felt fantastic but my speed under was slow.

One step forward, two steps back.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Guys wow so many things. #1 Sleep is amazing. The best thing I've done for my workouts has been going from 6ish hours of sleep a night to 8-10. Also, I got home at noon today, and my wife works til like, 4:30. 4 HOUR GYM SESSION HOOOO. I made the terrible decision to double scoop that pre-workout. Im so jacked up even after the workout, which lasted 3 hours. List of things to do after a 3 hour workout: Cry, sleep, and eat. On the plus side I hit 200 on the bench press for triples. 225 is just over the horizon. I tried to 1RM it, but failed miserably. Didnt even budge off the chest.

Also, I started front squatting for the first time. I learned 2 things. 1) I love front squats. They feel so much more, i dunno, natural? They're just more comfortable overall, especially on my knees. 2) Front squats are really hard.

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the deadlifting tips the other day guys, definitely made a difference.

• Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    Max out day!

Bench: 285

Squat: 280

Deadlift: 300

Feeling good. :D

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    Dat bench

• Options

Those are kilograms, aren't they...

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    It may only be upper-body stuff, but it feels amazing getting back into things. That first day Monday, those 20-30lb dumbbells felt like they weighed a ton while holding them at my sides. Now I'm comfortably going through the entire routine.

Might even bump a few things I'd been doing 20lbs of up to 30lb next week.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Hit a reasonably easy 275 triple on bench tonight with the Sling Shot. That's a dumb arbitrary goal I'd been chasing for a while before and it feels good to dunk it now. I'm going to adjust my working set weight up and we'll see what happens, if it goes to plan then I'll be working regularly above 200 for the first time ever. Feels good.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    CangoFett wrote: »

Those are kilograms, aren't they...

Shit no. I'm a silly American. I use pounds.

I wish they were kilograms.

I've only been back into lifting since January. I'm nowhere close to where I want to be yet.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    C'mon you guys, we can avoid confusion about weights by just using my (patent pending) Range Rover scale.

One 45 pound plate? ~1/110th of a Range Rover!

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    So a week or so ago I decided to cut my weights right down to work on my form, since I'm still pretty new to the Stronglifts program and wanted to make sure I wasn't going to irritate a previous knee and back problem. I had initially jumped straight into what weight I felt comfortable but challenged by, but was warned off doing so because apparently it'd affect my progressive increases.

I deloaded as follows:
    Squat - 70kg to 52.5
    Bench - 70kg to 42.5
    Press - 45kg to 32.5
    Row - 60kg to 37.5
    Deadlift - 75kg to 55

It was recommended that I increase each by 2.5kg per session from there (5kg for deadlifts), but I honestly feel like I'm lifting nothing at the moment and it's a little frustrating.

Is it worth sticking with for the next few weeks, or would increasing the load rate be a valid option?

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    my hands were hurting today. are lifting gloves a good investment?

• Options
    ToddJewellToddJewell Registered User regular
    315# DL today finally!

• Options
    edited April 2014
    No, no gloves. They ultimately make your grip weaker and they look silly and they won't make your hands not hurt anyway. You'll get used to it. If you're having grip problems a. get some chalk and b. make sure you're gripping the bar correctly, on your pulls especially. For a pull (deadlift, row, pulldown) you want the bar seated firmly at the base of your fingers, not out towards the middle and definitely not in your palm.

Peen on
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    my hands were hurting today. are lifting gloves a good investment?

no

chalk + callous maintenance. Straps when shit gets real heavy

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Can...can we make the range rover scale the official unit of measurement for this thread?

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I think it was the regular old pull ups that got my hands hurting.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Your hands are supposed to hurt, it's normal. You can't be a lifter without stuff hurting.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Dat bench

By the way, I'm not sure how to take this. Is this good or bad? :\

Hard to catch context over the internet sometimes.

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Good! Your bench is damn high in comparison to your leg lifts. With a 285 bench I would think you would be in the 500s for dead lift.

In comparison I have a 255lb max bench and a 455lb max dead lift and I consider myself fairly proportional if maybe a bit low on bench.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    My DL would probably be a lot higher if I had been working on it since January like everything else. I've had lower back issues in the past and I was genuinely a bit timid to start lifting heavy on DL until I had my form down. Now that I'm feeling comfortable with it, I'm going to start hitting it a lot harder.

• Options
    Dat bench

I want your bench numbers

• Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I had to go to a new gym yesterday because mine was closed and as every bar was bent to an alarming degree I skipped snatches and did some deadlifts for fun. Got 210kgx2 for a rep pr and finally got that 227.5kg/500lb single. It went up pretty fast actually, bit of a surprise:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DfNabI5XzM&feature=youtu.be

Jimmy Marku on
  • Options
    Nice roar at the end, Jimmy. I think your power level hit 9,000.

• Options
    Dat bench

I want your bench numbers

Oh. Well, thank you. :smile:

• Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Your hands are supposed to hurt, it's normal. You can't be a lifter without stuff hurting.

What about those pads you put on the bar for squatting? I scoffed at the guy doing them ahead of me for using one the other day but damn if it didn't look tempting by my 3rd set.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    The knurling tearing your flesh just makes you stronger.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Falx wrote: »

What about those pads you put on the bar for squatting? I scoffed at the guy doing them ahead of me for using one the other day but damn if it didn't look tempting by my 3rd set.

Forbidden

• Options
    MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    I've upped my squatting volume and frequency.

In the past two weeks, I've split three pairs of pants. :[

• Options
    ToddJewellToddJewell Registered User regular
    Well done meth, well done.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    The
    Falx wrote: »

Forbidden

The pads or a towel wrapped around the bar are allowed on Zercher squats.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Chalk also helps keep the bar from rolling on zercher squats.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I've never heard them called anything other than pussy pads, even by legit big guys that use them. Im sure there is a real term for it, but it has been lost to the ages.

I was overhead pressing today when I saw some big dude and his girlfriend set up the smith machine for squats. I asked them if they wanted the power cage, and they said yes. Brodin blessed my humility because today I power cleaned seriously for the first time. Worked up to 135 for singles.

The first time I caught that bar on 135, I almost passed out. Then realized getting it back down was going to be difficult. Almost screwed up my wrist.

Relevant question: I OHP/push press with a narrow, pretty much in front of my shoulders, grip. When I power clean, my understanding is you want a fairly wider grip. Should I press with the wide powerclean grip, or powerclean with the narrow press grip? Or balance that shit on my shoulder like a boss and fix my grip?

Also, high bar squatting: Coming out of the hole the knees start to come in. They go back out, but they are coming in a little in the process. Also I'm leaning forward a bit coming out of the hole sometimes. Nothing crazy, the bars not about to fly over my head or anything. It just feels like a lot. Where do these issues fall on a scale of "Woah buddy, fix that now!" to "Eh, things get a bit sloppy when you're pushing yourself, no worries."

CangoFett on
This discussion has been closed.