Options

Suns out, guns out [Strength Training]

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    When your knees go in and out like that with a forward lean is an attempt by your body to transfer the weight onto your quads. I'd guess that you have weaker hamstrings so on the heavier lifts you end up trying to do a standing leg press. I've seen it a lot in new lifters.

Work on the upper hamstrings and try to maintain a straight back coming up. Eventually you should be able to get to where you can feel your hamstrings tightening up and pulling you up as you come out of the hole.

• Options
    PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    So I think my weight (fat) loss is stalling, I'm stuck at 19 Stone 4, I had been losing 2lb a week for about 8 weeks (through calorie restriction) while also increasing my lifting.
    My lifts are still going up but my actual total body weight has stalled over the last 2 weeks. Am I still losing fat? Do i need to cut more calories? Sitting at 2500 a day atm, and worried dropping too low will have bigger lifting impacts. Or will adding 10 min Sprint, walk, Sprint, walk at the end of my session jump start things. I feel I've still got around 10-14lbs to go fat loss wise.

• Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    You're lifting so you're building muscle, that could be the weight you're seeing. Try and find some place to test your actual body fat percentage and work on getting that number down instead of your weight.

• Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    Take pictures and keep track of your waistline with measuring tape, those will also help you track your fat loss progress. Scale weight is dumb and annoying and can really psych you out. If you were losing 2 lbs a week consistently before and you haven't changed anything about what you've been doing, I'm 99% sure you're still losing fat. Sometimes the weight on the scale will just stay the same for a few weeks and then suddenly drop a whole lot overnight.

• Options
    Also I made some progress on incline bench today but then discovered a sweet pain in my right elbow when I went to do accessory work so I cut the workout short. So, mixed bag today.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Get some elbow sleeeeeeeves

They are the best thing.

Which reminds me, I've got a grab bag of old accessories that I don't need and would be happy to part ways with if someone wants to pay shipping. I've got a pair of super basic straps, a pair of neoprene elbow sleeves, and a pair of the blue Slingshot sleeves. PM me if you want deets.

• Options
    I really wish my gym had more than two squat racks. It's in a major retail/residential hub too so you'd think they'd be better equipped. They've got an entire room filled with those stupid "shake yourself thin" machines.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I've seen few gyms with more than two racks unfortunately.

• Options
    I've seen few gyms with more than two racks unfortunately.

• Options
    Except when there's a yoga class going, then there's just racks all over the place.

Wait, what were we talking about?

• Options
    Well damn.

I ended up doing squats holding two ten kg weights in my hands, even though my legs are tired the rest of me doesn't feel the same. Next time I'll wait my turn.

• Options
    Ask to work in

• Options
    I'll do that eventually when I get frustrated enough, I'm still working on the whole talking to people thing. Sometimes I find myself almost giddy at the fact I can do bench-presses now while just a few months ago I was so terrified I'd rather not go to the gym at all.

I've got shoulders now, and my chest sticks out further than my stomach... if I don't eat too much Nando's, but still. It's awesome.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Except when there's a yoga class going, then there's just racks all over the place.

Wait, what were we talking about?

yoga here is a bunch of old men

woe

• Options
    I've never gone to the gym the same time as a yoga class, but a lady was doing bench presses and it was suddenly really hard to concentrate on my squats.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    there are only a few women my age at the one I go to. it's very much a young men's gym since the only alternative in town is planet fitness which isn't a very good gym if you want to do actual lifting.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I just printed off about some 50 pages of Rippetoe, Suggs, and Starr articles. A few random ones. For reading once I have time. And I know there was an article posted many moons ago in a thread long past, and I am asking if any of y'all remember it, but I think it was Bill Starr talking about training in a remote location over the winter and having access to only a few dumbbells so he calculated his tonnage and hit that through reps and only lost a few pounds off his maxes and I'd love to read it again if any of you Internet sleuth-hounds could help locate it please.

And I printed off the rare accessible research article on lifting belts. Fuck this lit review!

Really? Ain't no more recent studies past 2006?

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    InvincibleInvincible Registered User regular
    Solid day of front squatting. Hit 72 for seven doubles. Then did 5x4 at 57 just for good measure. Also did 7x3x45 for snatch grip push press and it felt super easy, which is nice. Good day.

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9194-1579

Let's make record. It will look like:
    Side A.
    1. Tomato Soup
    2. Grilled Cheese
    Side B.
    1. Naptime
  • Options
    MogsMogs Registered User regular
    New bench press PR (for weight and reps): 140x3. Feeling very good about that.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Think I may switch back to good old Texas method for a while. 5/3/1 seems a little easy right now.

• Options
    Solid bro-day today. Only problem is my lower back felt fussy. I stretched and rolled it a bit, but I'm hoping that it is fine by tomorrow for cleans and snatches. It's frustrating because I feel like this happens fairly often to me.

Side A.
    1. Tomato Soup
    2. Grilled Cheese
    Side B.
    1. Naptime
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    Worked my back today.

Deadlifts at 250x5x4 still seemed a bit light. I think I might jump up to 270 next week.

Otherwise:

Dumbbell rows: 70x11x4

Barbell rows: 155x10x4

Seated Machine Row: 205x10x2, 205x8, 205x5

Standing Cable Row: 150x40, 150x20x3

Back Hyperextensions (25 pound plate): 25x10x2, 25x8, 25x6

A couple of friends chided me for not including pull ups and lat pull downs in my routine, but I seriously hate those (no, I don't know why). Just how important are those two particular workouts, considering the work I'm already doing?

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    Is that 40 reps on the cable rows? That's a lot of rowing which is going to be mostly middle back. Lat pulldowns and pull ups are more traps and upper back.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Prime wrote: »
    So I think my weight (fat) loss is stalling, I'm stuck at 19 Stone 4, I had been losing 2lb a week for about 8 weeks (through calorie restriction) while also increasing my lifting.
    My lifts are still going up but my actual total body weight has stalled over the last 2 weeks. Am I still losing fat? Do i need to cut more calories? Sitting at 2500 a day atm, and worried dropping too low will have bigger lifting impacts. Or will adding 10 min Sprint, walk, Sprint, walk at the end of my session jump start things. I feel I've still got around 10-14lbs to go fat loss wise.

If you're lifting while losing weight, a better way to check progress is measuring you waist.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Worked my back today.

Deadlifts at 250x5x4 still seemed a bit light. I think I might jump up to 270 next week.

Otherwise:

A couple of friends chided me for not including pull ups and lat pull downs in my routine, but I seriously hate those (no, I don't know why). Just how important are those two particular workouts, considering the work I'm already doing?

Try including a front lat pulldown, never rear.

• Options
    Brotip for folks in the US, I bought a KG of creatine from the BulkSupplements guys on Amazon and they sent me an e-mail offering me a free trial of any of their other stuff if I'd a. review what I just bought and b. review the trial in 14 days. Thing is, they offer you the smallest size that they carry as a trial and I got Beta Alanine and they sent me a 100g pouch; at 5g a day that's a 20 day trial, which is pretty fucking boss.

Just took my first 2.5g, research leading me to believe that you shouldn't take a whole day's worth of Beta Alanine at a time, and yup you do get weird pins and needles even at half a dose. It's not intolerable or even annoying really but it's definitely noticeable. I'm really curious about what it'll do for performance, I figure worst case is it does jack shit and I didn't waste any money on it.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I don't even take 1/4 teaspoon of Beta Alanine per dose (when I do it). The effects are too distracting if take too much.

• Options
    I really like the beta alanine tingles for some reason.

• Options
    What are the desires effects?

• Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Apparently it can delay fatigue in the 8+ rep range.

Week three this week meant 140kg/308lbx8x4 back squats and holy shit was it hard. I had to take 7 minutes between sets. Pr though.

Invincible wrote: »
    Solid bro-day today. Only problem is my lower back felt fussy. I stretched and rolled it a bit, but I'm hoping that it is fine by tomorrow for cleans and snatches. It's frustrating because I feel like this happens fairly often to me.
    I suffered chronic low back fatigue/soreness when doing anything (hiking, running, motocross, lifting) right up until I started more specifically training my upper back and spinal extension strength. I'm willing to bet that a major cause of acute and chronic low back soreness and pain is insufficient spinal (particularly thoracic) extension strength/poor posture, which transfers a much greater flexion load onto the lumbar extensors.

Worked my back today.

Otherwise:

That's a shitload of horizontal pulling. I can't think of any reason why you would do all that before doing some heavy barbell shrugs/high pulls and pull-ups/chin-ups/lat pull-downs. You probably hate pull-ups because you have weak lats - I was in that boat and hating something's always a good sign that you should do more of it.

Back muscles:
    Picture-of-back-muscles.jpg

To comprehensively train the back with pulling movements:

Shrugs for scapular elevation/retraction - trapezius.

Horizontal pull for scapular retraction, arm extension, elbow flexion - rhomboids, trapezius, teres major, lats, biceps.

Vertical pull for arm adduction, scapular depression/downward rotation, elbow flexion - lats, teres, rhomboids, biceps.

Jimmy Marku on
  • Options
    Argh, I was doing dumbbell bench presses and somehow I smashed my thumb's knuckle between the two... almost dropped a 14kg weight on my face.

• Options
    Invincible wrote: »
    I suffered chronic low back fatigue/soreness when doing anything (hiking, running, motocross, lifting) right up until I started more specifically training my upper back and spinal extension strength. I'm willing to bet that a major cause of acute and chronic low back soreness and pain is insufficient spinal (particularly thoracic) extension strength/poor posture, which transfers a much greater flexion load onto the lumbar extensors.

I wouldn't doubt that posture is a big culprit as it seems to be most prominent when I have to sit in chairs for a lot of the day, which I try to avoid. Do you have any recommendations for training spinal extension strength?

Side A.
    1. Tomato Soup
    2. Grilled Cheese
    Side B.
    1. Naptime
  • Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    Loaded back extensions. Probably for higher rep sets to minimise injury risk, emphasising full spinal extension (not just lumbar hyperextension).

High bar good mornings with a rigid arch are also good.

There's another exercise I like that I'm sure I saw first on ATG - the barbell thoracic extension - sit on a bench with a lightish barbell doing reps of thoracic extension with a neutral core - think of moving from a slouch to an upright, chest up position. You should obviously be doing this movement in the setup of the snatch and CJ, so it's a useful way to train it in isolation.

• Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I want to do this. Just because.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9I0uVqE5Is

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    Aside from the fact that he's freakishly strong, what impresses me most about that is that he can hold the weight stable while they're putting the plates on and taking them off.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Did so much bench tonight that by the end of the session my buddy and I couldn't even rep the bar. Feels good.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Peen wrote: »
    Aside from the fact that he's freakishly strong, what impresses me most about that is that he can hold the weight stable while they're putting the plates on and taking them off.

I'm impressed that he had spotters who were good enough to keep the weight mostly even as they added plates.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Today concludes my first week of Starting Strength.
    Squat: 135
    Bench: 125
    Pull-ups: 0 :(

Are lateral pull-downs a good way to build up to pull-ups? Or should I just try and use the assisted pull-up machine? I've never used one so I'm not sure which is more effective.

• Options
    Both will help strengthen the relevant muscles, the assisted pull-up might more closely mimic the movement and therefore get you to doing real pull-ups sooner but neither is 100% better than the other.

Try doing pull-up negatives, where you jump to the top position of the pull-up and then lower yourself as slowly as possible. Also, maybe try chin-ups instead which has your palms facing you, those are easier.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I'd suggest assissted pull-ups. Pull downs are okay, but there's a tendency for people to cheat in them by leaning back (turning it into a row) or jerking back.

This discussion has been closed.