As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FTL] Advanced Edition and iPad Edition is out now! Prepare to die (a lot)!

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    I'm not really comfortable with clone bays yet. At first I thought it would be awesome for boarding since you essentially have an unlimited meat factory to throw at ships. But ending a battle with injured boarders beamed back really puts you at a disadvantage for the next battle, even with the passive HP recovery when jumping. Feel like my options are to just keep attacking the ship and let my boarders perish if I destroy the ship before they murder the crew. Or if they take the ship, beam them back on board and toss them in a vented room to get some fresh bodies, suffering a skill penalty.
    The answer is obvious.

Kill your injured crew.

This.

"Hey, looks like we need a repair in the airlock, buddy. Just be sure to open the door so the welding sparks don't start a fire."

I'm so in love with Clonebay, especially if I can find DNA backup.

"Those flashing lights? Noooo no, those are uh... It's Christmas! Yeah, merry Christmas buddy!"

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Almost got my first win with the Engi 2 but I just couldn't get enough weaponry together for the final push. If I had got past phase 2 I was fairly sure I'd have the win in the bag, but it just wasn't meant to be.
    ?.jpg
    Dead about 15 seconds later...

Their damn boarding drone breached into the O2 room and made it hard to fix it in time.

Shimshai on
    Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Yeah I guess I get too attached to my crew, I liked imagining my boarders as battle-hardened badasses as they survived longer. How big is the skill penalty for clones? Thinking about it more always having bodies for boarding may be more important than skill increases. Too many times have I lost boarders and can never find new crew, letting my teleporter gather dust.

Does the clone bay have effects for random encounters, like when you lose crew to alien spiders, Zoltan obelisks, and slavers?

Depends on the encounter. Some like the spider will end with "Your crewman pops out of the clone bay, ready for action.". But others, like if they die from a virus, say "Because the virus would clone as well, you can't clone your crewman.". Weirdest one for me though was losing somebody because I think they get stuck on a planet or something, and the blurb being "Because your crewman is still alive, Federation laws prohibit cloning.".

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Yes, it does. It saves your butt on some of the random events your mans can die in.

The wolfman covered it better.

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Wow I was on a good run with a lanius B until I got to focused on my boarding action and did not notice the pirate had a vulcan cannon. By the time I noticed it was way to late and it just shredded me.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    It still hasn't really sunk in yet that the clone bay can save your crew on those encounters. When I get them, I'm used to just dejectedly going "...Fine. Prepare to jump, I guess", and hitting one to exit the dialogue window. I keep getting taken by surprise when there's another page describing my crewman popping out of the clone bay and trying not to think about what just happened.
    Or, in the case of him failing to disarm a mine recently, being embarrassed about messing up.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    It Can save crew but I had a run this morning where I lost 4 crewmen even though I had a powered clone bay to encounters.

• Options
    I've got a good thing going with the Lanius B ship, sending the 2 Lanius over to do as much damage as they can before dying, and repeating with their clones.

If you're going to try this zerg rush plan though, you really need to invest in a lv3 clone bay, for nothing else than the passive heal. Otherwise I'd routinely end up with near dead boarders who aren't going to do much on the next ship. And there's no convenient way to suicide them to get fresh clones (well any other race I'd just airlock them I guess).

It's also saved my ass with intruders, because I'm also trying to get that 20% oxygen achievement. Intruder blows the door to a non-Lanius crewman, who then dies soon after because I'm terribly slow and dumb and don't realize why he's now suffocating to death, and I can't close the door even after I figure it out.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    "Just as you finally gain the upper hand, the rebel flagship jumps away. You gotta keep up the assault!"

What

the

fuck

I saw the flagship literally burst into space debris. TWICE. You do not jump away from that!

You CAN NOT jump away from that!

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    1163727471972.jpg

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    The worst thing is this game is dead jumps. Four nodes in a row with nothing is aggonnnyyy.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Well, that was some straight up bullshit.
    q7puefp0jn09.jpg

I mean the final battle really makes me not want to play this.

I mean, the first fight is absolutely fine.

The second fight is also okay. With 4 shield bars, tons of evasion and a good offense it's certainly doable.

And then the flagship sends over 2 intruders.

And mind controls one of your guys.

And then sends in 2 more intruders.

Like, fuck that. I'm not gonna buy every slave I can just for that one fight in the end.

EDIT:

HEY WAIT WHAT?

I didn't play on easy. I played on normal. Guess they screwed up the achievements.

Edit 2:

Nevermind. For some reason the game skipped over the "normal" achievement.

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    You won.

Why are you complaining?

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    You won.

Why are you complaining?

Cause the final fight sucks?

Like, normally when beating a difficult game - like Dark Souls/Dark Souls II - I felt compelled to go further, improve, achieve new goals.

The third phase of the final fight in FTL however just puts me off of even trying.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Wait, how big was your crew?

cB557 on
  • Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    Wait, how big was your crew?

Like, 6 guys. 2 were mantises with a green star in melee combat. I used them for boarding for a while but didn't really like it that much.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    EDIT:

HEY WAIT WHAT?

I didn't play on easy. I played on normal. Guess they screwed up the achievements.

Edit 2:

Nevermind. For some reason the game skipped over the "normal" achievement.

It probably displayed it while you weren't looking; if you beat it on Normal, I think you get both the Easy and the Normal achievements, etc.

But, anyway, the Flagship fight does a good job of making sure you've got an all-around good set-up. If you're too heavily focused in one particular area, you'll have trouble with one of the phases.
    There are a couple ways in which you can heavily, heavily specialize and get through almost all of the phases that way, but what those ways are is left as an exercise to the reader.

• Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    Well, that was some straight up bullshit.
    q7puefp0jn09.jpg
    I AM TOTALLY HOOKED

Pretty much what I read.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    Your first flagship is always straight up Grade A bullshit. Then it's about learning its capabilities and the various options on how to diffuse and neuter each one.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Shimshai wrote: »
    Almost got my first win with the Engi 2 but I just couldn't get enough weaponry together for the final push. If I had got past phase 2 I was fairly sure I'd have the win in the bag, but it just wasn't meant to be.
    ?.jpg

Their damn boarding drone breached into the O2 room and made it hard to fix it in time.

Man.

You should, basically, NEVER not have a person in the cockpit during a fight.

That 0% evade is gonna kill you much quicker than no 02 (and your o2 has one bar, that should be enough to save your crew...)

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Like, fuck that. I'm not gonna buy every slave I can just for that one fight in the end.

Why would you buy a slave when you can kill slavers and get a free slave?

• Options
    Or board them, and get the pick of the lot.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    For reference Blackbird, phase 3 goes a lot smoother if you manage to depopulate the flagship's crew during the early phases (ideally phase 1, as it's the easiest to cripple offensively). Though with that level 3 medbay, it can be tricky if you don't have the means to reverse board.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    I would just like to say that the noise that the Lanius make when repairing stuff is fucking adorable.

Cute little terrifying anaerobic metal monster noises.

• Options
    I usually find myself using my Lanius as boarders.
    Once a room is drained of O2, they have some of the best DPS in the game, and low health enemies won't even enter the room.

• Options
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Shimshai wrote: »
    ?.jpg

Man.

You should, basically, NEVER not have a person in the cockpit during a fight.

That 0% evade is gonna kill you much quicker than no 02 (and your o2 has one bar, that should be enough to save your crew...)

Right before that screenshot I had the cockpit manned. Noticed the O2 levels had gone critical and rushed the pilot and mantis to the medbay. That might have been my downfall, being too hasty.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I am sitting at 144 runs and no wins.

But I made it to the second phase last night!

Also I've unlocked all but 3 type A ships. I keep running into the Mantis pirate and killing him, I assume you need to take the ship whole? I've never had a teleporter when I ran I to that guy.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    You need both a teleporter and improved medbay/cloning to succeed in that quest.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Question: clone bay is showing up in the store even with systems full. Does purchasing it replace your med bay?

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    Question: clone bay is showing up in the store even with systems full. Does purchasing it replace your med bay?

Maybe, it'll warn you if you try to buy it but it needs to replace something.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Yeah, clone bay and med bay replace each other.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    MackenzierMackenzier Gold Star Police Ninja Lurking... less than usual.Registered User regular
    I am having just terrible luck trying to finish a Zoltan ship run. I've made it to the flagship with all three variants but I've never quite had the right fit-out to finish all three phases.

Ah well. *New Game*

Steam: Mackenzier
    FFRK: 9rRG
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Blackbird, your doors man. Your doors. Upgrade those motherfuckers, the bad guys can't get to you if they're pounding on reinforced bulkheads while they suck vacuum.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Yeah, clone bay and med bay replace each other.

And conveniently, share upgrades, so if you have a level 3 medbay and buy a cloner, you don't have to start over.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Something I've learned in the last 5 minutes, when beaming a suicide squad aboard an auto-drone with a hacking system, make sure their hack doesn't attach to your cloning bay before you teleport over.

3 dead mantis is such a waste.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I just unlocked the Lanius B. It better be as awesome as you fuckers said it is cause Lanius A wasn't.

• Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    I am sitting at 144 runs and no wins.

But I made it to the second phase last night!

Also I've unlocked all but 3 type A ships. I keep running into the Mantis pirate and killing him, I assume you need to take the ship whole? I've never had a teleporter when I ran I to that guy.

Sounds about right.

I'm at 1/176 and I had to drop it to easy for that 1.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    55 and 6, but it's pretty much all been on easy.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    14/474
    o:)

Most:
    Repairs: 37
    Combat Kills: 87
    Piloted Evasions: 490
    Jumps Survived: 140
    Skill Masteries: 9

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I have 39 victories out of 176 games played, some of those I just quit in the first sector due to a bad start. I think a couple of those victories were on easy, but the vast majority are on normal.

Edit: apparently I have a total badass mantis in my records too, Steven Dengler with 70 combat kills and 28 skill masteries winning those two categories.

Savant on