Options

If it's blue, it must be MEGA MAN(-esque)!

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    http://www.rockman-corner.com/2014/06/official-mega-man-soundtracks-now.html
    Capcom and licensing partner Sumthing Else Music Works are teaming up to release four compilations of Mega Man music exclusively for digital download. So far the original Mega Man and Mega Man 2 OSTs are up for grabs, labeled Volume 1 and Volume 2 respectively.

The soundtracks contain not just the original NES music, but also arranged tracks used in the Complete Works PlayStation re-release (which come from titles like Power Fighters), as well as other bonus tracks. Both are available for $9.99.

Volume 3 (Mega Man 3) and Volume 4 (Mega Man 4) are set to roll out on July 29th. Pre-orders are now available directly from Sumthing Else.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    A-ha! The percentage that comes out is the amount of damage you inflicted. Note that when he hits one of the flying enemies that takes two shots once but doesn't finish it off before it stops flashing blue, it says 50%.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Ah, so it's a risk-reward thing. The more you hit them the more xel you get, but if you kill them you get nothing.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Ha, I stumbled on this tonight:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kktCSSTHmn0

The thing that weirds me out the most is how they deliberately altered parts of it for an American audience. Like, they changed his Famicom cart into an NES cart (though you can still tell it was supposed to be a Famicom cart in other scenes). Also I doubt the original video commented on the Japanese "driving on the wrong side of the car" :p

I actually kind of like Mega Man's voice in this too. But fuck Rush and Beat talking. That's crap.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    That is really strange but very entertaining.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    It's part of a three-part OVA series as a sort of proto-Mega Man cartoon (by the same people who made the 90s MM toon) before the focus groups got a hold of it. Why the tourism thing, I don't know, but if memory serves, none of it was released until about Mega Man's 15th anniversary in 2002 or 2003 (including in Japan).

The third part was more western-centric, using the actual Mega Man title card and everything. I think all three have voice tracks in English as well as Japanese, with some of the parts being played by the same actors who portrayed them in the 90s cartoon.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    I heard it was actually made and used to teach American kids about Japan. The beginning of it credits some japanese tourism department. It's a very interesting watch though.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Yeah I looked it up and the Japanese something cultural board had something to do with it, so yeah, it's basically educational. I ended up watching the second one as well (on that same guy's channel) which I guess is an overview of Japan's cultural holidays (i.e. New Years, Girl's Day, Children's Day, etc). I guess they dubbed the last two much later, so the voice actors are slightly different. Protoman/Blues actually sounds better in the second one.

Funny thing about the second one - Wily steals a time machine from Dr. Light, but then later uses it to steal crackers from some little girls on Girl's Day. Which, really Wily? That is the best use of a time machine you can think of? If you really wanted to bump off Mega Man, you could always just go and kill Kenji Inafune as a baby :P I also take exception to Roll being able to be incapacitated by "knock out gas" :P

I love that the first one was clearly made around the time of Mega Man 5, yet there is an odd proto-version of Yamato Man in it :) Whom they call "Samurai Man" (I wonder if the original Japanese actually called him Yamato Man?). Appropriate I guess for an educational film about Japan! I kept yelling at Mega Man to throw Tomahawks at him :P

Overall though, I enjoy seeing animation of Mega Man that is actually on-model :)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    I like how the parents just accept that a bunch of video game characters came to life and are in their home now. No skepticism at all.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Did the NES-101 get released in Japan?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    Did the NES-101 get released in Japan?

They released a similar model called AV Famicom. The original didn't have composite cables.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the educational stuff is what I meant by the "tourism" bit; the board's name at the start is just what stuck with me there.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-6u8_G_J7I

There is some new footage in there including showing off some of the boss weapons! :D

I guess he is starting another fundraiser to add *more* stuff to the game including voice acting as the first stretch goal.

Edit: Oh, and there's this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmY3jd0z8ho

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Somehow it's appropriate that Geth was the first to awesome that trailer.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    I've gotta say that I am less than impressed with the teaser and think planning an animated tie-in series seems really premature at this point.

• Options
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I've gotta say that I am less than impressed with the teaser and think planning an animated tie-in series seems really premature at this point.

I dunno, they generated $4 million based on a rough idea and Inafune's name alone - that's a pretty good selling point for an animated series :P

I am sad it's 3D and not like, anime style, but not really surprised :P Though I do hope Beck is voiced a bit better. I think this is obviously a super rough teaser and they'd actually hire a real voice cast for the series, but he sounds kind of goofy here :P

• Options
    Warlock82 wrote: »

I dunno, they generated $4 million based on a rough idea and Inafune's name alone - that's a pretty good selling point for an animated series :P

I am sad it's 3D and not like, anime style, but not really surprised :P Though I do hope Beck is voiced a bit better. I think this is obviously a super rough teaser and they'd actually hire a real voice cast for the series, but he sounds kind of goofy here :P

Yeah, I like this look

59052a86203a67329187c615025dfd6a_large_jpg_14046.jpg

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I just realized, is that the first time we have seen at least the final version of the doctors?

Edit: This was the only bit I could find:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9/posts/609369
    cdb1200fc15ae168e4ed435e846783b0_large.jpg

You can see early versions of those two in there - though no idea who is who :P I assume the guy on the left is Dr. White? And I'm guessing the fat one is Dr. Sanda, if only because Dr. Blackwell seems to be the bad guy :P

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited July 2014

I'm more concerned that this will end up where we are with Mega Man currently. Merchandise the fuck out of it until you can't make any more money from it (though the latter half of that statement is unknown as Capcom has decided to just sit on it for no good reason).

Edit: After thinking about it some more, what's really concernful is that this push is in service of an unproven IP that is using the void left by something else people love. Its current identity is "not-Mega Man" for better or worse. It just seems incredibly shortsighted to jump ahead to trying to merchandise this when we don't even really know much about the world and characters themselves beyond being surrogates.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Speaking of Megaman, I just finished Megaman Xtreme. As I mentioned before, it kind of sucks.

But the most impressive bit of laziness is the 'difficulty system.'

See, you have to beat the game to unlock new difficulties. Bad enough. And hard mode? Just a different set of robot masters. And you can carry over all your power ups from normal.

Xtreme, the ultimate challenge? It's just 8 levels instead of 4. AKA, a regular megaman game.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Shady3011 wrote: »

I'm more concerned that this will end up where we are with Mega Man currently. Merchandise the fuck out of it until you can't make any more money from it (though the latter half of that statement is unknown as Capcom has decided to just sit on it for no good reason).

Edit: After thinking about it some more, what's really concernful is that this push is in service of an unproven IP that is using the void left by something else people love. Its current identity is "not-Mega Man" for better or worse. It just seems incredibly shortsighted to jump ahead to trying to merchandise this when we don't even really know much about the world and characters themselves beyond being surrogates.
    It seems like an anime based on this would you know fix that whole issue by defining Beck and his world

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options

It seems like an anime based on this would you know fix that whole issue by defining Beck and his world

You do realize that the game could accomplish that just fine, right?

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I really don't like anything about that animated series trailer. The "american kids movie" voiceover, the idea of Beck as an unimpressive klutz, the slightly naff character model, the erectile dysfunction joke...

Just kickstart Mighty No 9-2 already, trust me I'll pay.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

You do realize that the game could accomplish that just fine, right?

It clearly already has done that or they wouldnt make a second kick starter to bling it out.

At best that anime is 2 years out. At that point itll be a nice advertisment.

Its also important to remember they were approached for merch they didnt seek it out . Inti creates is a small company passing on free money isnt an option for them

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Speaking of Megaman, I just finished Megaman Xtreme. As I mentioned before, it kind of sucks.

See, you have to beat the game to unlock new difficulties. Bad enough. And hard mode? Just a different set of robot masters. And you can carry over all your power ups from normal.

Xtreme, the ultimate challenge? It's just 8 levels instead of 4. AKA, a regular megaman game.

I kinda liked that adding on of content for a handheld game. Doesn't the plot go further when you do the next difficulty too?

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Every now and then I remember a sorta-friend of mine still has my copies Mega Man Legends and Mega Man Legends 2. I'll have to get those back from him someday...but I'm in no rush as I have nothing to play them on anymore.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Say what you will about the Xtreme games (I liked them for the time), but they are amazing compared to the absolute trash that is Mega Man X on iOS. How a game on 8-bit hardware can have more frames of animation than on a piece of cutting edge technology is baffling and goes to show how lazy Capcom truly is.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

I kinda liked that adding on of content for a handheld game. Doesn't the plot go further when you do the next difficulty too?

Only going from normal to hard.

And the thing is, it's not more content. At most, it's the same amount of content as, say, IV or V, but you have to beat the tutorial level again to get to it.

• Options
    Every now and then I remember a sorta-friend of mine still has my copies Mega Man Legends and Mega Man Legends 2. I'll have to get those back from him someday...but I'm in no rush as I have nothing to play them on anymore.

I really need to replay those. I think it has been 10 years at this point. And I never beat Legends 2. I got to the last boss, but it was early in the morning and I kind of dozed off during the loooooooooooooooooooong ass cutscene before it. Something about a moon and Elysium :P I dunno. Then the boss kicked my ass five ways from Sunday and I never really beat it.

• Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    I played 1 sooo many times. It really clicked with young McFlynn. It was like Zelda, but with Mega Man!

And it was the first game I ever played with much voice acting (I played the N64 port first)

• Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    I want to play my copies of Rockman Dash 2 and Tron ni Kobun, but I can't because my copies are Japanese and my PS2 is American.

• Options
    RockinX wrote: »
    I want to play my copies of Rockman Dash 2 and Tron ni Kobun, but I can't because my copies are Japanese and my PS2 is American.

Thanks, Obama.

Legends 1+2 and Tron are the only reason I keep my PSOne.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

And the thing is, it's not more content. At most, it's the same amount of content as, say, IV or V, but you have to beat the tutorial level again to get to it.

It's not like they're doubling the amount of content or anything but sometimes it is interesting to unlock a HUGE thing by getting far in a game.

Examples:
    Riku campaign in Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories
    Special Worlds in Mario 3D Land and 3D World
    Etc

I think it's weird to get mad about having 8 bosses instead of 4 is all.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    I don't get why any of the GB games split the bosses.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options

It's not like they're doubling the amount of content or anything but sometimes it is interesting to unlock a HUGE thing by getting far in a game.

Examples:
    Riku campaign in Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories
    Special Worlds in Mario 3D Land and 3D World
    Etc

I think it's weird to get mad about having 8 bosses instead of 4 is all.

I'm not mad about having eight bosses. I'm irritated about a "hard mode" being even easier than normal, having to repeat the dullest level in the game (and, considering the lack of effort in porting most of Xtreme to make use of the Game Boy Color's limited screen space, that's saying something) to get to content that should have been there from the start, and having to beat the final boss twice to unlock, well, basic Megaman mode. Which is treated as this amazing challenge, boy are you sure you're up for it.

• Options
    agoaj wrote: »

Probably because 2 was already out by the time the first GB title came out, so they wanted to include bosses from that as well. But they didn't have enough space on the cart to include 12 bosses, or something :P Then it just became a thing.

Just my guess :P

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Probably because 2 was already out by the time the first GB title came out, so they wanted to include bosses from that as well. But they didn't have enough space on the cart to include 12 bosses, or something :P Then it just became a thing.

I'd guess it's because they couldn't fit 8 bosses on a stage select screen and have them be recognizable as anything other than fuzzy green and black squares.

• Options
    Geth agrees with see317. He wins.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    see317 wrote: »

I'd guess it's because they couldn't fit 8 bosses on a stage select screen and have them be recognizable as anything other than fuzzy green and black squares.

But they could have just done it the same way they do now, where it is split up, but have the other two from Mega Man 1 in there.

Actually, the fact that Mega Man 1 only had 6 robot masters may have had something to do with it too :P

Anyways, Mighty No. 9 stuff - I was browsing the forums over there and someone pointed out they put up a page for the Animated Series:
    http://mightyno9.com/en/project2-overviewー2

Of interest, it has a synopsis on there which confirms Dr. Blackwell is the villain (not that it wasn't obvious) :P Also apparently Beck has a human heart? That seems weirdly macabre :) (edit: Geth agrees!)

detail_FIX.jpg
    (I like this picture too :P)

Warlock82 on