As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Choose Your Own [Conspiracy Theories]

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Imagine how funny election campaigns would be if the government could control the weather. Just constantly both sides trying to make it rain on opponents speeches and sunny on their own

Who's to say they aren't already doing this, only to cancel each other out in most cases?

No I'm talking like little clouds chasing the candidates on stage as they both race to be in the sunbeam that's also flying around wildly

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I have a flat earther at work. A guy who has flown from Atlanta, to LA, to Tokyo, to Ramstein, Germany, to London, and to New York in that order. How the hell does he explain that? The center of the earth is Antarctica and everything is around it in a ring on this flat disc and he just flew around the outer ring, like a NASCAR driver going around the track (in his own words...)

I... can't argue with that... I know he's wrong but...

My go-to for flat earther's is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkrkaH_V7fE

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Imagine how funny election campaigns would be if the government could control the weather. Just constantly both sides trying to make it rain on opponents speeches and sunny on their own

Who's to say they aren't already doing this, only to cancel each other out in most cases?

No I'm talking like little clouds chasing the candidates on stage as they both race to be in the sunbeam that's also flying around wildly

well obviously the President is the only elected official who has any say over how the tech is used, and there are rules in place to prevent that kinda of flagrant abuse.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I have a flat earther at work. A guy who has flown from Atlanta, to LA, to Tokyo, to Ramstein, Germany, to London, and to New York in that order. How the hell does he explain that? The center of the earth is Antarctica and everything is around it in a ring on this flat disc and he just flew around the outer ring, like a NASCAR driver going around the track (in his own words...)

It's funny, Whoopi Goldberg's thoughts on the big bang and God are pretty in line with what I thought when I was very religious, but I hadn't heard that from really anyone else.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Shadowfire wrote: »

It's funny, Whoopi Goldberg's thoughts on the big bang and God are pretty in line with what I thought when I was very religious, but I hadn't heard that from really anyone else.

I've always liked Whoopi for that. She doesn't discount her religious views to fit science or vice versa. But how in this day and age of satellites and people flying on airplanes that we still think the world is flat is beyond my ability to comprehend.

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Satellites are a hoax, the view from an airplane is a trick of perspective/a design feature of airplane windows and the geography of a flat earth makes perfect sense if you'd ONLY LOOK AT MY CHARTS

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    There is no way to verify most facts that every day people hear about on a regular basis. So we just have to trust a third party to tell it to us. For some that's CNN, others Fox, and still others, InfoWars.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular

He's even wrong for being a flat-earther!

The more common opinion is that the Earth is centered on the Arctic, since this matches better with existing travel routes. It also allows for a smaller conspiracy.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    There is no way to verify most facts that every day people hear about on a regular basis. So we just have to trust a third party to tell it to us. For some that's CNN, others Fox, and still others, InfoWars.

I do sometimes contemplate trying to replicate the old Eratosthenes experiment for the sake of doing it... but eh, fuck it. Rich greek philosophers had more free time back then than I do, I guess. :|

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    This morning on, "Explain this, athetists flat-earthers!"

If gravity is just thrust generated by the disc-planet, what keeps the atmosphere from just spilling over the edge?

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    This morning on, "Explain this, athetists flat-earthers!"

If gravity is just thrust generated by the disc-planet, what keeps the atmosphere from just spilling over the edge?

Its the glass dome. Man, you really know nothing.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    My favorite demonstration of how the earth is flat is when some guy poured water on a ball sitting on a table and the water didn't stick to it.

There's some science!

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    My favorite demonstration of how the earth is flat is when some guy poured water on a ball sitting on a table and the water didn't stick to it.

There's some science!

That's about as scientific as someone building the Twin Towers out of an Erector set and then putting lighter fluid on it, thus proving that jet fuel can't melt steel beams.

The above is a scenario I just concocted from my imagination but I would be willing to lay money down that there's an equivalent video out there on Youtube.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

There's some science!

That's about as scientific as someone building the Twin Towers out of an Erector set and then putting lighter fluid on it, thus proving that jet fuel can't melt steel beams.

The above is a scenario I just concocted from my imagination but I would be willing to lay money down that there's an equivalent video out there on Youtube.

There is a guy who keeps trolling debunker websites with videos of his various halfassed models of the towers and showing that they don't undergo progressive collapse when one floor fails. Pretty much the same thing.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular

Can-didates, not cat-didates. Nobody's desperate to lie in the patch of sun.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    It's the best part of the political season! Wherein candidate campaigns get asked about UFOs!

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/07/politics/john-podesta-hillary-clinton-ufo/index.html

• Options
    Our education can be shit and our health even shittier, but I'll be glad to know that I can pray for alien overlords to come down and enslave me so I don't have to choose which moron to make President again. Thanks Hillary for caring about things that really matter to me!

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Our education can be shit and our health even shittier, but I'll be glad to know that I can pray for alien overlords to come down and enslave me so I don't have to choose which moron to make President again. Thanks Hillary for caring about things that really matter to me!

"Don't blame me. I voted for Kodos."

• Options
    So the earth could be flat... if one was traveling by it at the speed of light:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNqNnUJVcVs

• Options
    Remember though, if you were travelling at the speed of light, you would be unable to perceive the Earth as we recognize it. Rather, you would perceive the Earth as it exists for the remainder of the life of the universe, which means that for a lot of that time you'll just be staring at a spot where the Earth used to be.

From the perspective of someone on Earth, meanwhile, you would appear to be completely still.

Because relativity is a fucking headache, man.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    [ tinfoil hat]That's because the scientists have twisted their theories into a knot trying to justify the lies of the illuminate.[/tinfoil hat]

A neat book, Physics on the Fringe, is about the modern disconnection between the public and science. Mainly because of the lack of intuitiveness of relativity and quantum physics. And how in that gap new fringe and conspiracy theories have flourished.

• Options
    Remember though, if you were travelling at the speed of light, you would be unable to perceive the Earth as we recognize it. Rather, you would perceive the Earth as it exists for the remainder of the life of the universe, which means that for a lot of that time you'll just be staring at a spot where the Earth used to be.

From the perspective of someone on Earth, meanwhile, you would appear to be completely still.

Well, he did say "99.9999999...1% the speed of light." would make it appear only a few meters thick.

Also, someone watches Doctor Who because I remember them explaining something like that about the TARDIS's engine working like that.

• Options

Well, he did say "99.9999999...1% the speed of light." would make it appear only a few meters thick.

I didn't actually watch the video, because I've already had a headache today.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    This is hilarious in a 'well I'm sure glad I'm not that ombudsman,' kind of way.

Moon Landing Hoax proponent contacts the CBC to complain about the CBC's assertion that the moon landings were a historical event. CBC tries to politely set aside the issue by saying that they reserve the right not to indulge conspiracy theories. Hoax Man persists, sending in 'proof' that it was a hoax in the form of a conspiracy theorist YouTube video.

Because of the journalistic standards set by the CBC, this evidence apparently must be considered by the Ombudsman, so he had to spend an afternoon watching that garbage.

Suffice it to say, he was not pleased by this activity.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    No English version on that last link...

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

Google translate did a good enough of a job to read it

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    The Ender wrote: »
    I don't understand how flat-earthers can possibly explain things like, how thrust gravity stops working the instant you stop accelerating or fucking orbits, how do they work or, uh, the day-night cycle? Unless the other half of the population of earth is being paid off to lie about it being night over there right now.

See, the planet is constantly moving upwards at 9.8m/s, so that's where gravity comes from. The day/night cycle is an illusion and time zones on airplanes are all tricks using satellites to project images onto earth's atmosphere, like how the northern lights work.

I wish I was kidding.

If the disc-planet is constantly accelerating (just moving is not enough to generate force holding objects to its surface) then its orbit around the sun would be constantly changing. If it is thrusting "forward" along its orbital path it would raise its orbit, lengthening its year and eventually escaping the sun. (Of course this would mean that its edge would always be facing the sun and thus the disc-planet would be in perpetual twilight.) Thrusting in other directions would alter the orbit in other fun ways, up to and including plunging it into the sun.

If it's thrusting and spinning like a coin then centripetal force would be added to thrust gravity making everyone on the west side of antarctica heavier and the east side lighter.

None of it makes any fucking sense. Are all other planets discs too, they just wondrously show their flat sides towards us always? Or is Earth just the super special cosmic snowflake that gets to be not-a-sphere.

Flat Earth basically posits that the entire cosmological model is wrong. There is no sun, no solar system, no orbital mechanics, etc. Everything you can see out there in the sky is really small & relatively close; the Earth is either an infinite plane of some kind (accelerating upward, because the universe also has a preferred direction according to Flat Earth) or a finite disc (and you can bet that the infinite plane & disc folks have huge dick wagging arguments about who is more right).

We're all just rats trapped in a maze & controlled by The Government (TM) who is working with The Aliens (TM) and one day Flat Earth is going to go beyond the great ice wall and take photos and show you the TRUTH!

One theory (the one my friend unfriended me for) states that since we are created ALIENS, the ALIENS would rather see us on a STAGE than a GLOBE.

I am capitalizing the words just so they sink in.

COMMON SENSE says that if you had a SHOW you wanted to watch, you wouldn't want to go around a GLOBE! You'd make a STAGE.

Also, some gems.
    How do volcanos work on a flat earth? On a round one the heated lava comes from the earths core..

--- End quote ---

I can tell you now that this is just plain false. Round Earth Theory doesn't even support this notion. Where did learn this information?

I mean, technically he's right. It comes from the mantle.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Veevee wrote: »

Odd, it keeps saying it fails to translate the page for me...

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

Odd, it keeps saying it fails to translate the page for me...

Gotta use a translator extension. The website "english" page just errors.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I just pasted the URL into the google translate site and it worked just fine.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDjz5qHIzsc

"Just watch: That one is oxygen, that one is hydrogen. But No mercury so... oh my where did she go??"

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Didn't take long for someone to tie a conspiracy to the death of Prince!

SteevL on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    fuckin wat

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    The "Antarctica, etc" kills me.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    The "Antarctica, etc" kills me.

Well, they did say Prince was the inspiration for the " The cold never bothered me anyway" line, wake up sheeple

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    But I thought the NWO was using performers to brainwash and mollify the public. Why would they EVER retire the public persona of one?

Sure, people spend money on their stuff when they're dead, but they also do that when a new album comes out. And sure, the public is traumatized by beloved celebrities passing, but here's the thing: Traumatized people are irrational and unpredictable. NWO theories hinge on the public being pacified and controlled. Physical trauama like terrorism could arguably help as the public accepts greater and greater infringements for the sake of security and protection - the government can offer a solution to that trauma. But this kind of emotional trauma? The government can't help with that, there is only the trauma.

I find the theories that living celebrities are clones or replicants more convincing. Sure, they're more outlandish than fake deaths, but they would actually further the supposed agenda.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    So I just beat Deus Ex Human Revolution, which featured the Illuminati and
    an evil Antarctic base. Is that like. A thing with the Illuminati? Are they all about the poles? Or do conspiracy theorists get their details from vidyas?

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

All I'm getting with this is that celebrities are faking their deaths to get a job at the CIA.

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »

All I'm getting with this is that celebrities are faking their deaths to get a job at the CIA.

Which makes no sense. Celebrities make terrible spies.

Actors might be good, depending on their improv skill.

This discussion has been closed.