Options

Choose Your Own [Conspiracy Theories]

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I'm sure the argument will be that the plane is being delicately guided off its stated course in order to provide the illusion that you're going around a globe. Same thing with using a better telescope to see ships going over the horizon. At some point you're just going to hear about how the lenses have been tampered with in some way. Once you decide to go all in on the idea that the entire world is conspiring to present a fictional vision of reality where the earth is a different shape, you've pretty much gone past the point of being able to be reasoned with.

The furthest I've gotten with people like this is someone said that the entirety of physics and calculus are cleverly designed tricks to make us think the earth is round. That these forms of math that can be represented in the real world to test mathematical results are a sham, and that the real math is hidden somewhere so they are the only ones who know it.

Probably aliens.

dx1bu744xglr.jpg

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Hey, I had a friend mention the Victor Thorn thing to me the other day. I hadn't heard about it at the time so all I had to say was that it was much easier to add names to kill list than it is to fact check and debunk them. But then later on my daily visit to snopes (a fun website to visit during election season) I stumbled on an article about his death. Dude was a holocaust denier and believed that the Jews were responsible for 9/11. He's written multiple books about it.

So he's a horrible person.

That doesn't mean that he is wrong about Hillary Clinton's kill list. You can be a terrible person and still be right about something. But his belief in those two theories would indicate that he is not the smartest cookie, that he only accepts things that fit his biases, and is terrible at fact checking. The holocaust and 9/11 are two of the most studied and proven events in history, there is so much evidence that they happened that anyone who believes otherwise is not someone you want to rely on for information.

edit- shit, now I'm the dummy. You guys are talking about Seth Rich.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Hey, I had a friend mention the Victor Thorn thing to me the other day. I hadn't heard about it at the time so all I had to say was that it was much easier to add names to kill list than it is to fact check and debunk them. But then later on my daily visit to snopes (a fun website to visit during election season) I stumbled on an article about his death. Dude was a holocaust denier and believed that the Jews were responsible for 9/11. He's written multiple books about it.

So he's a horrible person.

That doesn't mean that he is wrong about Hillary Clinton's kill list. You can be a terrible person and still be right about something. But his belief in those two theories would indicate that he is not the smartest cookie, that he only accepts things that fit his biases, and is terrible at fact checking. The holocaust and 9/11 are two of the most studied and proven events in history, there is so much evidence that they happened that anyone who believes otherwise is not someone you want to rely on for information.

edit- shit, now I'm the dummy. You guys are talking about Seth Rich.

The dude who is touting the conspiracy theory about Seth Rich also says she had Thorn killed, so it's still related.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Yeah but why though?

I mean, '9/11 was an inside job" is a good conspiracy because it's got plausible motive. The government intentionally killed thousands of americans in order to stoke the public into accepting military action in the middle east.

"The Moon landings were a hoax" is a good conspiracy theory because it's got plausible motive. The government needed to win the space race in order to prove superiority over the commies so they faked a lunar landing as a way to one the USSR after Sputnik and Gregarin.

"Area 51 is where the US Government is hiding a crashed alien spacecraft that came down in Roswell, New Mexico in the 1940s" is a good conspiracy theory because it's got plausible motive. The government doesn't want the people to know about the existence of extraterrestrials in order to prevent public panic and risk undermining the modern American religious faith during an era where they were desperately trying to differentiate themselves from the atheist government in the USSR those godless pinko commies.

"Smart utility/power meters are actually listening devices used to listen in on every conversation in hundreds of millions of American homes" is a good conspiracy theory because it has plausible motive. The government wants to spy on its own citizens and what better way to surreptitiously do so than to have a "technician" mount a transmitter right onto their house that is tapped into their electrical grid.

These conspiracies are dumb, yes, but the one thing that links them is plausibility. There is a reason why the government might want to save face in front of communists or hide ayy lmaos from the public or engineer an extremely profitable war...

But what reason would any government in the world have, let along every government in the world have, for keeping a flat Earth secret from the citizens of Earth? Who would actually benefit from that? What would they even get from it? Money? Control?

I don't get it. There's no reasoning behind it.

It's all a big scam to sell Globes

Ah.

Big Globe, we meet again.

• Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    There was an add for a conspiracy video on Youtube about how the President can overthrow the government. I accidentally clicked on it, and now my recommended feed is full of such gems as:

THE AWAKENING: Quantum Mechanics of the Human Brain
    END TIMES: WHAT AMERICA SHOULD KNOW ABOUT A WOMAN PRESIDENT (featuring a guy standing in from of an Ark replica)
    10 Reasons why you should NEVER open your Third Eye
    UNLOCKING YOUR MIND FOR MIRICLES

I had the same thing happen with Feminism. One of the channels I subsribed to did a video about the after effects of Gamergate a year later and I watched it, found it informative, then suddenly I'm bombared by Feminism is stupid videos, true agendas of the man-enslaving feminist, ect. Yeah, delete any of the videos in your history and they should go away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN0REjUCGlE
    don't worry, it's a pro-click

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular
    I wonder if some of this is like some sort of internalized compulsive lying. Specifically, how compulsive liars get an ever-escalating thrill out of telling increasingly outlandish tales; I wonder if conspiracy theorists get an ever-increasing thrill out of challenging more and more basic/widespread beliefs.

You're onto something here - when you believe in a Flat Earth, it's not much of a stretch to believe the jesuit priests are behind it all or that Hillary is running a murder cartel

• Options
    edited August 2016

There is a reasoning.

People who really believe in the plausible conspiracy theories rather than using them as a thinly masked code for Jews or some other group are engaging with our current understanding of the world to some extent. Flat Earthers are flat out antimodernists.

The proliferation of antimodernism is very troubling for a number of reasons. Modernism and postmodernity is where most of us live, where a good deal of our architecture lives, and where a number of the things the species needs to survive live.

People who can actually say "Everything I disagree with is Satan!" are complete and utter assholes. They don't want to acknowledge that their opponents can be correct about anything. This is how we got Aryan Physics. A belief in the singularity of evil, that all of one's enemies are working together, is a component of many bad things. It also tends to make for strange bedfellows among evil assholes.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular

There is a reasoning.

People who really believe in the plausible conspiracy theories rather than using them as a thinly masked code for Jews or some other group are engaging with our current understanding of the world to some extent. Flat Earthers are flat out antimodernists.

The proliferation of antimodernism is very troubling for a number of reasons. Modernism and postmodernity is where most of us live, where a good deal of our architecture lives, and where a number of the things the species needs to survive live.

People who can actually say "Everything I disagree with is Satan!" are complete and utter assholes. They don't want to acknowledge that their opponents can be correct about anything. This is how we got Aryan Physics. A belief in the singularity of evil, that all of one's enemies are working together, is a component of many bad things. It also tends to make for strange bedfellows among evil assholes.

But the ancient Greeks knew the world was a globe. Saint Augustine used the world being a globe as an example of a universally accepted fact. It's a radically new idea, not a pre-modern one.

• Options
    Radically new ideas that make no fucking sense being presented as ancient wisdom in an attempt to wholly and entirely reject the entirety of history, present political reality, and established philosophical/scientific knowledge is like, 6/10ths of fascism.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I wonder what percentage of flat-earthers are true believers, what percentage are conducting a silly thought experiment for fun, and how much of a spectrum there is between the two groups.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Calica wrote: »
    I wonder what percentage of flat-earthers are true believers, what percentage are conducting a silly thought experiment for fun, and how much of a spectrum there is between the two groups.

Before the YEC nonsense took over, it was probably something like 90% true believers, but the other 10% were almost all content producers, not content consumers, and they led the 90% around for giggles.

Now, though, I think the fun has been sucked out of it, there doesn't seem to be a lot of those thought experiment types anymore, only fingers-in-ears rejection of reality and accusations of persecution and dogmatism by "spherists."

There's only one model being pushed by anyone anymore, and it's one of the most poorly thought out ones I've seen, and instead of explaining its discrepancies, everybody else is just lying.

Hevach on
  • Options
    If people were doing thought experiments they'd have better thought-out rationales for explaining things than currently exists.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    If people were doing thought experiments they'd have better thought-out rationales for explaining things than currently exists.

There were some pretty complex ones, too. Weird null-space theories and my personal favorite was a relativistic model for a concave Earth based on Max Abraham's discredited theory that linear distance was relative to gravitational field strength,

Now, though? The Earth is a flat disk 24,000 miles in diameter with the north pole at the center and it's illegal to go to Antarctica because you might see the edge and planes don't fly accross oceans in the southern hemisphere because it's too far and the sun is a flat disk 3,000 miles from Earth that circles over the equator and the moon is only visible at night because it's a reflection of the sun at the opposite side of its orbit and space travel is a hoax and the other planets are just stars and stars are just lens flare from the sun and seriously there's absolutely no rational thought in any of it anymore. It's actually kind of sad how much work people on Metabunk are putting into their laser experiments to measure convexity of lakes and shit, because it's all just being rejected for absurd reasons.

Hevach on
  • Options
    I mean, if you're going to say that all of physics is wrong because the math doesn't line up with your ideas, then you have to present alternatives.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Neaden wrote: »

There is a reasoning.

But the ancient Greeks knew the world was a globe. Saint Augustine used the world being a globe as an example of a universally accepted fact. It's a radically new idea, not a pre-modern one.

Gotta go earlier than that. Pre-civilization >10,000 years ago when people REALLY knew the truth about our world, none of these newfangled ideas from the Greeks or the Old Kingdom of Egypt.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Can someone explain numerology? I went down that rabbit hole the other day. Saw many videos showing how names/events/dates add up (or using magic math) to equal a number. But no video or comment ever mentioned what does it mean, or why it matters. So Obamas birthday adds up to 33, why does that matter? Also it seems every number is evil.

Flat Earth, fake Moon landing, reptile people I can at least see the reasoning behind the insanity. But I'm really struggling to understand the motive or reason for numerology.

A Half Eaten Oreo on
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Can someone explain numerology? I went down that rabbit hole the other day. Saw many videos showing how names/events/dates add up (or using magic math) to equal a number. But no video or comment ever mentioned what does it mean, or why it matters. So Obamas birthday adds up to 33, why does that matter? Also it seems every number is evil.

Flat Earth, fake Moon landing, reptile people I can at least see the reasoning behind the insanity. But I'm really struggling to understand the motive or reason for numerology.

33?

*Gasp*

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Here's how it works:

You go to Google and assemble a list of symbolically or ritualistically significant numbers either in your religion or in another (if you're dealing with Obama, it's always good to have a list for Islam handy as well).

Then you go to the subject you're "researching" and you make a list of any kind of number associated with them - birth dates, number of people in a group, ages, names converted into integer strings. Translate shit into other langauges and then convert it into integer strings. Spell shit backwards and convert it to integer strings.

Then you do stuff with those numbers. Any kind of stuff is ok, math or otherwise - add them subtract them concatenate them into longer numbers then pull out digits to make shorter ones throw in significant numbers if you're not getting anywhere to stir the pot - anything is kosher! Just keep doing stuff to the numbers until you have the significant numbers you want, in any configuration possible - even if the digits aren't together, as long as you have them. If they're not even in the same number remember you can concatenate, rearrange, and crop, just do stuff to the numbers. If you're not getting the right numbers, just go to a different religion, if you keep getting 9's you can do some Norse shit to that. If you're still not getting anything useful, just call it Native American or Sub-Saharan African and ascribe whatever the fuck meaning you want to any numbers you want and have done with it.

TL;DR: It's not just bullshit, but it's bullshit you have to do consciously and intentionally to reach a desired outcome, otherwise you will reach no outcome.

You shouldn't have to do anything too outrageous, and if you get far enough down the instructions that you're just making up meanings, you didn't try very hard. Because once you get a good crop of integers to play with you can eventually get any number you want by playing with them long enough.

Hevach on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Obama has five letters in it.

{Random terrorist} had five fingers on his right hand.

Barrack is seven letters. Everyone has two hands. 7-2 equals 5. The terrorist had five fingers on his left hand.

Coincidence? I think not.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

Here's how it works:

You go to Google and assemble a list of symbolically or ritualistically significant numbers either in your religion or in another (if you're dealing with Obama, it's always good to have a list for Islam handy as well).

Then you go to the subject you're "researching" and you make a list of any kind of number associated with them - birth dates, number of people in a group, ages, names converted into integer strings. Translate shit into other langauges and then convert it into integer strings. Spell shit backwards and convert it to integer strings.

Then you do stuff with those numbers. Any kind of stuff is ok, math or otherwise - add them subtract them concatenate them into longer numbers then pull out digits to make shorter ones throw in significant numbers if you're not getting anywhere to stir the pot - anything is kosher! Just keep doing stuff to the numbers until you have the significant numbers you want, in any configuration possible - even if the digits aren't together, as long as you have them. If they're not even in the same number remember you can concatenate, rearrange, and crop, just do stuff to the numbers. If you're not getting the right numbers, just go to a different religion, if you keep getting 9's you can do some Norse shit to that. If you're still not getting anything useful, just call it Native American or Sub-Saharan African and ascribe whatever the fuck meaning you want to any numbers you want and have done with it.

TL;DR: It's not just bullshit, but it's bullshit you have to do consciously and intentionally to reach a desired outcome, otherwise you will reach no outcome.

You shouldn't have to do anything too outrageous, and if you get far enough down the instructions that you're just making up meanings, you didn't try very hard. Because once you get a good crop of integers to play with you can eventually get any number you want by playing with them long enough.

But what happens then! It just feels like a very long joke without a punch line. Yes Obama mean 666 and 33 and 123, but what does that mean? It was incredibly unsatisfying watching this videos where they spend half an hour or more telling you the numbers and then it just ends. At least with flat earth after the half hour it ends with "and that's why there's no such thing as gravity". Numerology feels like a huge tease.

• Options

Here's how it works:

But what happens then! It just feels like a very long joke without a punch line. Yes Obama mean 666 and 33 and 123, but what does that mean? It was incredibly unsatisfying watching this videos where they spend half an hour or more telling you the numbers and then it just ends. At least with flat earth after the half hour it ends with "and that's why there's no such thing as gravity". Numerology feels like a huge tease.

BECAUSE 33!

• Options

Here's how it works:

That's what the first step is for, the list. Example:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_numerology

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Numerology sounds like a lot of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjOZtWZ56lc

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular

Here's how it works:

666 is the number of the Beast in the book of Revelation, and modern Christians tend to associate it with evil to the point of superstition. To contemporary readers, the meaning would have been closer to "that which is hopelessly broken and can never be made whole".

3 is a significant number to Christians because it represents the Triune God. 33 is therefore a "good" number, unless there's some weird stuff going on with 3x11 that I'm not familiar with.

123 I have no idea about.

(I used to know a bunch of this stuff because we did a unit on symbolism in Revelation - the historical kind, not the New Age kind - at my Lutheran high school, but I've forgotten most of it.)

• Options
    GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular

Here's how it works:

666 is the number of the Beast in the book of Revelation, and modern Christians tend to associate it with evil to the point of superstition. To contemporary readers, the meaning would have been closer to "that which is hopelessly broken and can never be made whole".

3 is a significant number to Christians because it represents the Triune God. 33 is therefore a "good" number, unless there's some weird stuff going on with 3x11 that I'm not familiar with.

(I used to know a bunch of this stuff because we did a unit on symbolism in Revelation - the historical kind, not the New Age kind - at my Lutheran high school, but I've forgotten most of it.)

33 is the age Jesus was crucified according to many Christian fanfictions

I mean traditions

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

Here's how it works:

3+3 = 6
    1+2+3=6
    11/8/16 -> (1+1+8)-(1+6)=3, 3*2 (for the end of his second term) = 6

OMG guys, I think I cracked it. Obama really is the anti-christ. And here I was thinking it was Trump, how foolish of me. So glad I could figure that out to save myself from that egg on my face

• Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    My favorite conspiracy theory dates from the Apollo era, and it's my favorite because it's simple enough to be plausible. It goes like this: the Apollo 12 landing was intended as a further demonstration of US missile targeting mastery by landing the LEM within walking distance of an earlier probe, Surveyor 3. However, before making this announcement they had to figure out if they had been successful, so the LEM crew popped the top hatch and visually located the probe upon landing from the higher vantage point. None of these activities are on-record, though there is a communications gap on the open signal normally used for lunar operations during the time when this would have taken place. The whole thing is exceptionally simple and explainable, with no grand forces behind it other than the well established dick-waving contest between the US & USSR in developing ever more accurate and powerful missile technologies.

• Options
    Emissary42 wrote: »
    My favorite conspiracy theory dates from the Apollo era, and it's my favorite because it's simple enough to be plausible. It goes like this: the Apollo 12 landing was intended as a further demonstration of US missile targeting mastery by landing the LEM within walking distance of an earlier probe, Surveyor 3. However, before making this announcement they had to figure out if they had been successful, so the LEM crew popped the top hatch and visually located the probe upon landing from the higher vantage point. None of these activities are on-record, though there is a communications gap on the open signal normally used for lunar operations during the time when this would have taken place. The whole thing is exceptionally simple and explainable, with no grand forces behind it other than the well established dick-waving contest between the US & USSR in developing ever more accurate and powerful missile technologies.

This raises the question where the line is between a "normal" off-books/classified operation and a full-blown conspiracy is. I recognize that by definition a conspiracy doesn't have to involve many people or be very wide-reaching in scope/goal but our perception of what qualifies as a conspiracy has become a bit warped thanks to media.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Watching Chopped

Dude is a chef who specializes in fine dining who works at a Strip Club but motherfucker is too fancy to eat a hot dog.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular

This raises the question where the line is between a "normal" off-books/classified operation and a full-blown conspiracy is. I recognize that by definition a conspiracy doesn't have to involve many people or be very wide-reaching in scope/goal but our perception of what qualifies as a conspiracy has become a bit warped thanks to media.

Yeah, I'm almost certain this probably happened...but I'm not sure "conspiracy," at least in vein of "AND OBAMA IS SECRETLY A MUSLIM LIZARD FROM HOLLOW EARTH" really applies here.

It's more like "a funny story about validation."

Like how today I walked down to the lab and visually looked at my experiment before taking a picture and sending it to my boss to confirm it had worked.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Watching Chopped

Dude is a chef who specializes in fine dining who works at a Strip Club but motherfucker is too fancy to eat a hot dog.

Wake up, Sheeple!

• Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular

One way or another, it worked out just fine:
    Surveyor_3-Apollo_12.jpg

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Watching Chopped

Wake up, Sheeple!

goddamnit I hate mobile vanilla and my fat fingers lol

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Here's how it works:

And I feel obligated to point out that 616 is used in some ofoldest survivinganuscripts instead.

Also that Nero works either way depending on spelling.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular

That's not even a conspiracy really. That's sound PR management.

There is a continuum of time from before launch to after landing when they could have announced their intentions. Did the announcement come after they landed? Then this is the plausible explanation; they were waiting for confirmation.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    And I feel obligated to point out that 616 is used in some ofoldest survivinganuscripts instead.

This makes Marvel's primary universe much, much funnier.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Polaritie wrote: »

Here's how it works:

The Marvel comics publishing company is the antichrist!

Edit: Ghosted so hard, I really should have refreshed the page first.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »

Scientists declaring a conspiracy theory false only serves to feed the conspiracy theorists' confirmation that the scientists are in on the conspiracy and are trying to spread false information. It is futile on all sides. Wake up sheeple!

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
This discussion has been closed.