Options

[sysadmins] - International Brotherhood of Neckbeards and Mouthbreathers Local 258

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Was it the most sarcastic apology ever?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Was it the most sarcastic apology ever?

It was actually borderline sincere if somewhat reluctant. I'm sure she tried to make noise too high up the tree and got chewed pretty fucking hard.

• Options
    Sincere, but sarcastic and she's going to be passive aggressive and (B)CC everyone superior to you on any communication.

CC if she wants you to know she's being passive aggressive, BCC if she wants to cover her ass.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Fortunately, she's too ignorant to know what the Exchange Management Console is and why BCC is meaningless when it comes to emailing me.

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Myiagros wrote: »
    iPads, why the fuck do I need to add a credit card to my App Store account to use it? All I want is free shit and I need to give them my credit info?
    I'm a fan of the $10 gift card to start this off. You know you'll use it at some point, and you also don't have to worry about putting in a real credit card.
    Cog wrote: »
    Just in case you might ever want to buy something that isn't free, it's conveniently configured already. They're just being helpful, you know.
    I get what you're saying, but I thoroughly detest the idea of "you don't know what you're doing, so we're going to think for you" method. If I want to buy something, I'll go through the steps of entering my information. It seems like more of a scam/ploy to get you to accidentally fork out money or whatever. Their "refund policy" isn't the nicest.

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    Yeah gift card is what I'd do.

But I have no problem putting in my real credit card for that stuff, since I live in the 21st century gramps.

• Options
    ...That makes me feel even more old considering how old I am.

• Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    It's a work ipad and I highly doubt I'd ever spend money on an app. It's basically there to configure shit through wifi and maybe I'll take it home at some point for some toilet reading. All I want to do is install Chrome.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    What a great way to ask for an expense account and company credit card!

• Options
    Myiagros wrote: »
    It's a work ipad and I highly doubt I'd ever spend money on an app. It's basically there to configure shit through wifi and maybe I'll take it home at some point for some toilet reading. All I want to do is install Chrome.
    If you have iTunes installed on your computer, can't you just download through there and sync it to the iPad?

• Options
    Some people have a thing against iTunes and the installation thereof though.

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    They also made the laughable "threat" that IT at headquarters would be "hearing some feedback over this".

The HR Manager gave her feedback to IT at our HQ office. I'm not sure exactly how far up the ladder it went, but two things have resulted from it.

A) We're not installing the equipment any time soon, probably until next month at the earliest. (It is equipment we legitimately require, just on more than 1 hour notice)

2) I received an in-person apology this morning.

I have been the vendor on the other side of this story, only I showed up on site looking for a network drop that HR said was there.

IT walked up, said 'nope, not today' and walked off. No argument from me.

• Options
    Some people have a thing against iTunes and the installation thereof though.
    I loathe iTunes and their shitty installation. Some are fine with it; I despise the fuck out of it.

• Options
    Doesn't bother me as long as you kill all its at-startup bullshit.

Which, by the way, Win 8.1 makes super easy to do, for a change.

• Options
    At startup, no updates, and ignore shit I plug in.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    If you're being bothered by things reminding you to update.... Well that's your own fucking problem for not using Ninite.

Cog on
  • Options
    Well iTunes has an annoying auto update shit that pops itself out randomly. Didn't know ninite handled that.

• Options
    Dammit, I hate when you have that "your fault/no, your fault" argument with another company for a day and a half and it ends up being your fucking fault.

At least it wasn't a configuration change I had made that broke shit. Someone else broke it, I just found and fixed it.

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Djeet wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    That's where I'd say "you know we could do that but it's going to cost more time and money in the long run to maintain and install it. Why take the more costly route?"

The time is my time and it's already paid for. Not sure if it's the same for you, but that's the kind of mentality I have to deal with. Doesn't matter that dealing with stupid shit takes up time where I could be bringing in money or making customers happy. What's important is that we don't spend anything (other than MS licensing costs).
    But the linux is freeeeee!

I am unreasonably upset by this story.

And I am reasonably upset that decisions that should be in my purview are overridden by a CEO who is not familiar with the technologies. I think it's cause he is a developer (no disrespect to developers) and thinks since it's computer related he must know best. Also holds grudges. Probably got burned 15-20 years ago by improperly securing a Linux box so now he thinks Linux is somehow fundamentally insecure.

Whatever. I'm quite used to doing things wrong under direction the first 10 times and then eventually doing it the way I would've done it in the first place.

• Options
    Dammit, I hate when you have that "your fault/no, your fault" argument with another company for a day and a half and it ends up being your fucking fault.

At least it wasn't a configuration change I had made that broke shit. Someone else broke it, I just found and fixed it.

When another company does this to me, I go on the defensive and say "nope totally you, and here's why"

At least at this point we can come up with a solution together. I had a company do that "it's your fault" thing right off the bat and said "no it's really not."

Then they called my boss, and their boss and my boss brought me in to a phone conference. They asked me to explain why it was their fault and not my fault. I think the duder tried to get my fired, or sound smarter than me.

So now I nip that shit right in the ass.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Nobody's that masochistic.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Double spoilers still don't work.

• Options
    Delmain wrote: »
    Double spoilers still don't work.

fiiiiiiine I fixed it.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Cisco ASAs are ...mysterious. I think I need to steal one from work so I can determine its secrets without taking out the other parts of the network.

But the parts the ASA controls... errr

• Options
    They make a GUI for their OS that's.... ... not awful?

It's not not quite as fully functional as the CLI, but it's not bad for investigating what can be done and then seeing the translation into the CLI commands.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've been playing with that, but the mysteries of the NAT, and why certain things are unlogged despite their settings to the contrary and most importantly why particular ACLs are ignored remains a mystery.

• Options
    I can dive into that a little bit on Monday, but I'm about to leave for the weekend. :(

• Options
    The GUI is the only way to deal with it.

I refuse to learn cisco's language because fuck them.

• Options
    Even having taken the CCNA course, I don't see the real reason for learning the Cisco IOS except in order to be a snobby asshole purist.

And I love DOS.

• Options
    I sat with the guy and watched him do the CLI stuff.

It took him like 10 minutes to add some NAT exceptions, it feels like if he had the OS up he could be done in about 10 seconds.

• Options
    CLI is for automation. GUIs are for humans.

Not everyone realizes this.

• Options
    Aioua wrote: »
    CLI is for automation. GUIs are for humans.

Not everyone realizes this.

Just like pretty much every OS.

Every iteration of Windows Server, it also seems like the newest extremely technical features make their debut in the form of powershell commands, and in the next OS iteration, they figure out how to make it digestible in the GUI.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Ugh. Egg on face moment:

Boss went on vacation this week. Forgot to finish rebuilding a computer for one of our doctors. No big deal, I have his Time Machine drive, and that's all that is missing, I can bang it out in a couple of hours. Time machine finishes, I have him log in and....half his Toolbar is ? marks and half his applications won't open. Boss rebuilt it with OSX 10.7 when he was running 10.9 before the rebuild. Time Machine really should give you a warning or something about that.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »
    Remote office: We have been having lots of issues with our connection (and this is documented, so ok)

Me: Drives 230 miles to office, go to dmarc, stands in the quarter inch of standing water that has dripped down and coats the walls (including the plywood panel that all the dmarc crap is attached to), and sighs.

Who builds a building in the panhandle of Texas with a damn basement anyway, and WTF decides that's a good place to put a dmarc.
    Through my wife I am friends with a guy who at one point did some contract sysadmin stuff for a car dealership. They had two locations, one for new cars, and one for used. Their internet service was provided through the used car location, which was connected by fiber to the other one. At some point they decided to sell the used car lot. Suddenly their internet stops working and they call him out to fix it.

"Did you get all your equipment out of the other site and call your ISP to let them know you needed hooked up over there?"
    "No."
    "You should do that."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Anyone do the MCSA: Windows Server 2012 recently?

any good practice tests you could point me at?

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    Anyone do the MCSA: Windows Server 2012 recently?

any good practice tests you could point me at?

I need to take it soon so I'd be interested in this as well.

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Well, it's a fine Monday morning. Warning email? Let's take a look...

'Failure predicted on drive "Drive 0" for array "SN# some numbers"

Damn it.

I will say this for IBM: it only took me one phone call to get a new drive sent out. That warranty money is good for something after all.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Ugh... performance evaluations can go suck a big one. I'd be happy with just putting a gold star at the top and handing it in. It's not like anyone outside of IT even knows what the hell it is we do in here anyways; quite honestly, they don't care either.

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    Took a call where a user was complaining about spam getting through. I do the usually "yeah, I understand. Things get through sometimes, but the percentage that is caught by the filters is like 98.5%." He goes on to tell me he gets it, but that the Zip Bra spam was over the top and he thought things were getting ridiculous. I kind of laughed and said I understood; I had to keep it down a bit because the call was passed through to my cell phone and I was around another department's cubes at that moment. Then he goes on to say that he's glad that he hasn't seen one about his penis in some time. All I could say way "Yes, that is probably a good thing."