As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Football/Soccer] "FIFA Ethics Committee" lol

• Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I miss Keane's cartwheels.

BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Football: The Beautiful Game

Football Fans: Fucking Shite
    Nieto's cousin, Pablo Nieto, said three people surrounded the player as he was going to his car with his wife and one-month-old daughter.

They kicked and punched him before one of the attackers struck Nieto in the head with a stone, leaving him unconscious.

He was operated on on Tuesday but died on Wednesday.

Local police chief Fabian Bordon told local media that three people had been detained in connection with the attack.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Should have scored a lot more. Pretty happy though. Might even go so far as to say we dominated.
    GqgqYkQ.jpg

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Don Garber apparently released a comment from his meeting with the board that Sacramento, Las Vegas, Minneapolis and San Antonio all have pretty strong bids for MLS expansion. Will be assessed soon, announcement sometime in the first half of 2015.

You know they should just expand their projection of teams and just say they'll go to 28 by 2020, and then just find another market in the east (Ottawa, Detroit, NC).

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    MLS epansion can only end well.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    Should have scored a lot more. Pretty happy though. Might even go so far as to say we dominated.
    GqgqYkQ.jpg

Adelaide has been ridiculous this season.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    BuchoBucho One careful pwner Registered User regular
    Adelaide are right there in it. Lovely rapidfire away comeback win by The Phoenix (no, I will not use "The Nix") too, especially with Nato (yes, I will use "Nato") Burns remaining top scorer in the league.

Also lovely - Winston Reid's Irons charging into 4th place. I mean, technically they're in 3rd right now, but we all know that's only until United nudge their way past the spunky Saints tomorrow.

• Options
    pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    This game has been pretty dreadful so far.

steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • Options
    pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    Stupid Galaxy.

steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Robbie fucking Keane.

Starting to hate the Galaxy moreover than the timbers.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    oldmanken wrote: »
    Don Garber apparently released a comment from his meeting with the board that Sacramento, Las Vegas, Minneapolis and San Antonio all have pretty strong bids for MLS expansion. Will be assessed soon, announcement sometime in the first half of 2015.

You know they should just expand their projection of teams and just say they'll go to 28 by 2020, and then just find another market in the east (Ottawa, Detroit, NC).

I'd be okay with this, only problem is that there's only so much dilution of talent you can do. Max of adding 2 teams per year, and I'd say 2 teams every two years.

A statement of "we won't be stopping at 24, even if it doesn't mean by 2020" would be nice, though.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    if only bunbury's chip was 6 inches lower

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    Bucho wrote: »
    Adelaide are right there in it. Lovely rapidfire away comeback win by The Phoenix (no, I will not use "The Nix") too, especially with Nato (yes, I will use "Nato") Burns remaining top scorer in the league.

Also lovely - Winston Reid's Irons charging into 4th place. I mean, technically they're in 3rd right now, but we all know that's only until United nudge their way past the spunky Saints tomorrow.

So so happy to see Burns having a good season. Great guy and it was really sad to see his move from Adelaide to Greece stall his career somewhat.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    So let's say you're Steuea Bucuresti. And let's further say that you lost a suit filed by the Romanian ministry of defense and you all of a sudden lose your legal right to your club's intellectual property- name, logo, colors, the whole ball of wax.

What do.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    Gosling wrote: »
    So let's say you're Steuea Bucuresti. And let's further say that you lost a suit filed by the Romanian ministry of defense and you all of a sudden lose your legal right to your club's intellectual property- name, logo, colors, the whole ball of wax.

What do.

... are the army trying to get rights payments out of them?

Other than that, I can't understand the motive.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    BASEL!!!

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    hahahaha

also, I missed Arsenal's group apparently. What the fuck happened to Galatasary? 1 point and losing at home to an English club isn't like them at all, or am I just totally out of the loop?

• Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    Gosling wrote: »

What do.

... are the army trying to get rights payments out of them?

Other than that, I can't understand the motive.

I recently started up a soccer blog and as such looked into it. (It's part of trying to get that podcast going that I'd mentioned some time back. Blogger won't embed audio files, Wordpress will, and so I moved personal operations over there and decided, welp, better make it a dedicated soccer site while i'm at it.)

Steuea privatized in 1998, but the military retained the rights to the imagery. Though they decided they'd just go ahead and let the team go on as normal using them, because why not. The club was set up to be run by a nonprofit organization run by Viorel Paunescu, who A, was a terribad owner who ran the finances into the ground, and B, was running a nonprofit that you could buy shares in. Eventually the shares had to get sold off to creditors, and Gigi Becali- who doesn't appear to have been one of the creditors- somehow (seriously, 'somehow', people still aren't sure how exactly) got 51%, took over the club and took it public. The military was not cool with this. Then Becali, who by taking control also assumed the club's debt, decided he wasn't going to pay that debt, and after the Romanian equivalent of the IRS came after him, he unloaded the shares onto friends and family that he could essentially use as figureheads. Then came the bribery and the forgery and the unlawful detention of people who owed him money and such good times as that. He's in jail now.

In 2011, the military decided to start taking Steaua to court to assert their rights to the imagery, and last week they won that fight. They're allowing Steaua a reprieve to use the imagery for the Europa League game against Dynamo Kiev later today, but that's basically it. Maybe they start charging for the rights, maybe Steaua has to go get a new name and logo, who knows.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    B40pZ0MIAAASsic.jpg

• Options
    edited December 2014
    The draw for the Champions and Europa knockouts:

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE
    Paris Saint-Germain vs Chelsea
    Manchester City vs FC Barcelona
    Bayer Leverkusen vs Atletico Madrid
    Juventus vs Borussia Dortmund
    Schalke 04 vs Real Madrid
    Shakhtar Donetsk vs Bayern Munich
    Arsenal vs AS Monaco
    FC Basel vs FC Porto

EUROPA LEAGUE
    BSC Young Boys vs Everton
    Torino vs Athletic Bilbao
    Sevilla vs Borussia Monchengladbach
    VfL Wolfsburg vs Sporting Lisbon
    Ajax vs Legia Warsaw
    Aalborg BK vs Club Brugge
    RSC Anderlecht vs Dynamo Moscow
    Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk vs Olympiakos
    Trabzonspor vs Napoli
    Guingamp vs Dynamo Kiev
    Villarreal vs Red Bull Salzburg
    Roma vs Feyenoord
    PSV Eindhoven vs Zenit St. Petersburg
    Liverpool vs Besiktas
    Tottenham Hotspur vs Fiorentina
    Celtic vs Inter Milan

Gosling on
  • Options
    Doesn't get much luckier for arsenal. Or Basel, for that matter

Woohoo

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    First year of the FFA Cup. The first real national cup competition run in Australia. Teams from every level of football have the opportunity to enter and play for it.

WE FUCKING WON AFTER PLAYING A-LEAGUE CLUBS EVERY SINGLE ROUND

IT IS LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE FOR ANYONE FOR ANY TEAM TO EVER WIN FROM A WORSE DRAW

HARDEST WAY POSSIBLE BUT WE'VE MADE FUCKING HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    <iframe class="vine-embed" src="
    width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script async src="//platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

After looking at the pure weird but wonderful Bayern Munich's Xmas bash, Only one man can now get us all in the Christmas Spirit...

• Options
    evilbob wrote: »
    First year of the FFA Cup. The first real national cup competition run in Australia. Teams from every level of football have the opportunity to enter and play for it.

WE FUCKING WON AFTER PLAYING A-LEAGUE CLUBS EVERY SINGLE ROUND

IT IS LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE FOR ANYONE FOR ANY TEAM TO EVER WIN FROM A WORSE DRAW

HARDEST WAY POSSIBLE BUT WE'VE MADE FUCKING HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, the HARDEST way possible would be to do the same thing from outside the A-League, playing the extra qualifying rounds beforehand. Or to play more than one away game along the way. But yeah, that's still a rough way to win a trophy.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Meanwhile, Cruz Azul vs. Real Madrid is going on in the Club World Cup and it's 2-0 Real shortly before the half. Sergio Ramos just gave up a penalty to Cruz Azul and got yellowed for it, but Casillas saved it. The penalty-taker had gone to the same spot in two penalties against Western Sydney Wanderers, went there again against Casillas and paid the price.

Gosling on
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30522170

Interesting development in the comical world of FIFA ethics.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    That World Cup match ended entertainingly. Always a fan of hilarious penalty misses.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Is it me or is San Lorenzo actively trying to screw this up? They are leaving a barn door-sized opening for Auckland City if they're able to convert.

EDIT: Aaagh that is a rough way for Auckland to enter the locker room. San Lorenzo scored seconds before the half. They can't just go 'ah, well, we had a good run'. There is still time to fight back. They're showing they can do this.

EDIT 2: Auckland has tied it up in a goal straight out of the Cal-Stanford playbook. Auckland guy marked by San Lorenzo in the box, stumbles, ball somehow laterals to another Auckland guy running at speed, second Auckland guy shoots it from a ridiculous angle, manages to slot it in.

Gosling on
  • Options
    San Lorenzo going to the old Argentina/Uruguay chestnut of 'maybe if we send everyone on the other team to the hospital, they won't be able to score on us anymore'. Auckland feasting on counterattacks but so far only the one conversion as we head to extra time.

Even if Auckland comes up short in this game, they have fought like warriors. If they win, Real Madrid should think twice before sending out the B team.

• Options
    BuchoBucho One careful pwner Registered User regular
    This is insane. A bunch of builders and students 1-1 going into ET against the best team in the Americas. This is like if Gibraltar made the later rounds of the Euro Champs.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    And the best team in the Americas has to more or less beat the shit out of them just to eke out a lead. I think they expected to go 'Hey, we're fucking San Lorenzo over here, you go back to the kiddie pool and let the adults play now' and forgot that this is Auckland's sixth appearance in the competition. They may lose a ton when they get here, but they are absolutely not strangers to this stage. Eventually Chaminade Syndrome was going to take hold. You get enough time in front of the champions of all the other continents, sooner or later you're going to learn how to play against the champions of all the other continents.

Gosling on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Damn, that was so much closer than it had any right to be.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

It has to be Gonzalez. I mean come on.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »

It has to be Gonzalez. I mean come on.

I dunno, Adryan is pretty good too. But yeah, I'm with you.

• Options
    Giving it to Suarez myself. You bite a man and then fall down going ow my teeth?

• Options
    Blatter says FIFA will not reopen the votes for the next two World Cups.

Obviously the checks have cleared.

This discussion has been closed.