As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Raid 2 and other, inferior, [MOVIES]

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    If movie compatibility were more important my wife and I probably wouldn't be married.

I mean, we like some of the same movies but then I'll never forget the day...

the day she turned to me and said 4 words every person should never want to hear...

"I hate Bill Murray."

It's fun, having some disagreements over tastes in stuff. Keeps things interesting.

I tease the lady about Baz Luhrmann, she teases me about True Detective. It's a good time.

And at the end of the day, it's just media. If mutually-appreciated consumption is the, like, cornerstone of a relationship, that's a sad state of affairs.

She doesn't like true detective?

Whaaaaa?

I'm not doing a you should break up with her thing or anything. I just can't think of an actual complaint about the show.

Does she not like it because it is too good?

Hates the portrayal of women (I argue that that's much of the point, but she says, and I can't disagree, that watching intentionally unpleasant treatment and portrayal of women is still unpleasant), thinks the ending is goofy and pat (she found the killer to be cartoonish), thinks the show squandered a lot of its ambiguity and unique tone to settle into a rote serial killer story.

I don't agree with any of these views, but I can see where she's coming from.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Ugh.

That's the worst.

I have to begrudgingly agree that all of those points are valid.

Except for the last one.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    hm, this website's thing here
    http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/watch-3-minute-comic-con-trailer-for-mad-max-fury-road-tom-hardy-charlize-theron-20140727

has a big summary
    A new synopsis has arrived as well.

Haunted by his turbulent past, Mad Max believes the best way to survive is to wander alone. Nevertheless, he becomes swept up with a group fleeing across the Wasteland in a War Rig driven by an elite Imperator, Furiosa. They are escaping a Citadel tyrannized by the Immortan Joe, from whom something irreplaceable has been taken. Enraged, the Warlord marshals all his gangs and pursues the rebels ruthlessly in the high-octane Road War that follows.

“Mad Max: Fury Road”—the fourth in the franchise’s history—stars Tom Hardy (“The Dark Knight Rises”) in the title role, alongside Oscar winner Charlize Theron (“Monster,” “Prometheus”) as the Imperator, Furiosa. The film also stars Nicholas Hoult (“X-Men: Days of Future Past”) as Nux; Hugh Keays-Byrne (“Mad Max”, “Sleeping Beauty”) as Immortan Joe; and Nathan Jones (“Conan the Barbarian”) as Rictus Erectus. Collectively known as The Wives, Zoë Kravitz (“Divergent”) plays Toast, Riley Keough (“Magic Mike”) is Capable, and Rosie Huntington-Whiteley (“Transformers: Dark of the Moon”) is Splendid. They are joined by supermodel Abbey Lee as The Dag and Courtney Eaton as Fragile, both of whom are making heir big screen debuts. Also featured in the movie are Josh Helman as Slit, Jennifer Hagan as Miss Giddy, and singer/songwriter/performer iOTA as Coma-Doof Warrior. The cast is rounded out by well-known Australian actors John Howard and Richard Carter, supermodel Megan Gale, Angus Sampson, Joy Smithers, Gillian Jones, Melissa Jaffer and Melita Jurisic.

Hahahaha these are such classic weirdo Mad Max names
    Rictus Erectus
    Toast
    Coma-Doof Warrior
    The Dag

I think my favorite part is that the names of the Wives almost seem connected by theme

Just not quite

Like, Splendid, Capable, and Fragile?

Those go together great

But then they're joined by Toast and The Dag

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    true detective was a really well-made paint-by-numbers serial killer story

it wasn't bad as such, it just wasn't remotely innovative

also i think it pretends to be a critique of masculinity in order to sort of sneakily idealize it

• Options
    also that list of mad max names alone is better than some entire movies

• Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    making fun of someone for liking true detective in retaliation for making fun of baz luhrmann is like making fun of someone for liking u2 when you like nickelback

UmPiq.png
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    This is in response to CK comments rather than pooro's girlfriend but it really bugs me when people complain that true detective was innovated or the twist was wasn't very good.

That's not what it was about!

It's a police procedural about how you grind a case and eventually find something shitty that you missed the first time. And even then, it was far more about the characters than the case.

Seriously, fuck the case. I'm there to watch actors chew on amazing individual scenes.

The fucking butler could have done it for all I cared and I would have still been happy with the ending.

Blake T on
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular

also i think it pretends to be a critique of masculinity in order to sort of sneakily idealize it

I disagree vehemently with this entire post and the last part doesn't even make sense. You're fishing really hard for reasons to shit on it.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    The most famous sequence of the entire season of True Detective (the end of episode 4) had nothing to do with absolutely anything

but it's still brilliant

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    True Detective was absolutely incredible. The writing and the acting was some of the finest I've ever seen.

The overall story just wasn't that important to me, and even if it was, it was fine. I know it didn't have some crazy, special answer, but most police cases don't.

I could sit and watch Matthew Mcconaughey as Rust forever and never grow tired of it.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Bubby wrote: »

I disagree vehemently with this entire post and the last part doesn't even make sense. You're fishing really hard for reasons to shit on it.

It makes sense and he isn't fishing

I disagree, but that's fine

You needn't be so defensive about a show, it's just media

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    YOU'RE JUST MEDIA, POORO!

• Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    We're all just media, on the inside.

• Options
    Picture it! Sicily, 1923...EVERYONE IS MEDIA.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    media doesn't fit, i have to wear a larg

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    BOOOOOOOO!

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Tyler Perry in It's Just Madea

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Tyler Perry in: Madea is Media on the Median

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    My Personas aren't high enough level for Media, I still just use Dia

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    what I thought true detective would be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkuu0Lwb5EM

what true detective was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_jWHffIx5E

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    My favourite action movie is Total Recall and the DVD commentary to Total Recall.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    I just went and bought the first season of true detective for my little brother's birthday and I'm looking forward to actually watching it.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I watched True Detective and I just couldn't get into it.

Rust was pretty awesome. But for the most part it was just me watching the show to see Rust be Rust.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    what I thought true detective would be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkuu0Lwb5EM

what true detective was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_jWHffIx5E

I don't quite understand what you're saying.

• Options
    Bubby wrote: »

It makes sense and he isn't fishing

I disagree, but that's fine

You needn't be so defensive about a show, it's just media

no he's got me there

i am actually getting kickbacks from Big Literature to talk shit about beloved tv shows

every time i say breaking bad was overrated jonathan franzen sends me $50

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Look into your heart and you'll see that you do

• Options
    most of my problems are with rust, i thought rust was so exaggeratedly grim and affectless that it was almost idealizing it

like frank miller's dark knight, a sort of gritty fantasy figure that on the surface is not someone you'd want to be but actually operates as a kind of wish fulfillment for dudes who have been conditioned by masculinity to think that violent, nihilistic loners are aspirational figures

it's a sort of ambiguity you get in a lot of commentaries on masculinity. the same basic thing is present in fight club, for example. on some level fight club is supposed to be appealing to a traditionally male viewer, but you are also meant to recognize that it's fucked up that it appeals to you and that the very thing within you that kinda thinks joining a fight club might be a good idea is the thing that destroys everyone in the movie

true detective is about the same thing, but i don't think it articulates it as well. i think it acknowledges that rust's life is bleak and empty but i don't think it acknowledges that that very bleak emptiness is appealing to a particular kind of person, and it sort of needs to if it's going to really express what the problem is. it's not enough to just say, masculinity sucks because it deadens people emotionally and encourages them to be physically violent in order to compensate. you also have to recognize that those very qualities are what makes it attractive. just to stage a character who embodies the worst aspects of masculinity is counterproductive if it does not also observe that the implicit value system of the people you are, presumably, trying to reach, makes those the best aspects

i think marty was a little better because the show seems to largely be aware that he is a reprehensible shitheel, and also i think it was very clever to cast the intensely loveable woody harrelson in that role

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I would say that the dynamic between Rust and Marty is an interesting one because of that(and probably only reason I liked the show).

They are both two sides of the same coin just that Rust has pretty much given up on changing while Marty spends most of his time in denial.

If anything I would say that I "liked" Rust more just because like you mentioned he is kind of an idealized character. I found the detached nature in how he looked at the world to be pretty interesting. And in some ways I will say it served as a pretty good foil to the other characters in the show(especially Marty).

But I will say that Marty's character actually annoyed me because he was much more true to life.

A hyper masculine, misogynistic asshole whose life is miserable but who lacks the self-awareness to realize that most of the shitty things about his life are self-inflicted.

Man...I've met so many people like that in real life that it just bugs the crap out of me.

But I will say the characters only really worked because they were together.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Has Woody Harrelson even played a lovable character since Cheers

Anyway, as someone just starting True Detective, Marty seems pretty ok but I can see something else there as well. Some of his reactions to things are questionable, and a little scary too. That look when Rust decides to stay for dinner is something else. The way he holds his jaw. It's an incredibly well affected portrayal of barely repressed anger.

As far as Rust goes, I don't know from the masculine part yet but right from the start the story is screaming at you that he's got a shitty life and no one should want to be him unless they're the kind of asinine person who thinks that "I don't sleep, I dream," is a super deep thing to say.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    "I'm mainlining the secret truth of the universe"

Sure thing, buddy

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular

Haymitch in The Hunger Games movies

I mean

I love him

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular

I kinda like him as Haymitch in the Hunger Games!

also I totally almost went YES HE WAS IN REIGN OF FIRE AND I LOVED THAT MOVIE and promptly recalled that no, that is not Woody, that's Matt

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    I liked Harrelson in Zombieland!

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    He's got a neat minor role in Bunraku. But I've never liked him, mainly because of his face. I just don't like it. Same reason I don't like Leonardo DiCaprio.

• Options

Anyway, as someone just starting True Detective, Marty seems pretty ok but I can see something else there as well. Some of his reactions to things are questionable, and a little scary too. That look when Rust decides to stay for dinner is something else. The way he holds his jaw. It's an incredibly well affected portrayal of barely repressed anger.

As far as Rust goes, I don't know from the masculine part yet but right from the start the story is screaming at you that he's got a shitty life and no one should want to be him unless they're the kind of asinine person who thinks that "I don't sleep, I dream," is a super deep thing to say.

I would say that Rust's masculinity is moreso presented through his apathy.

Taking that scene you mentioned and Marty in general. When in stressful situations, Marty tends to have a much more human response. Sure that response is usually anger but given his personality type that isn't surprising.

Rust on the other hand has usually has a cooler, almost noir-esque reaction to stress and violence. Like his character is rarely if ever not in control even if his character is obviously mentally unstable.

Violent outburst and apathy/lack of empathy as power are both sides of violent masculinity.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

http://youtu.be/0VZy4G67QRw

• Options
    You know 'til this day I know little about that Scanner Darkly movie other than it looks really cool.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    it's such a good movie, you really ought to watch it

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

tumblr_lr32epiLdM1qzimcx.gif

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    most of my problems are with rust, i thought rust was so exaggeratedly grim and affectless that it was almost idealizing it

like frank miller's dark knight, a sort of gritty fantasy figure that on the surface is not someone you'd want to be but actually operates as a kind of wish fulfillment for dudes who have been conditioned by masculinity to think that violent, nihilistic loners are aspirational figures

it's a sort of ambiguity you get in a lot of commentaries on masculinity. the same basic thing is present in fight club, for example. on some level fight club is supposed to be appealing to a traditionally male viewer, but you are also meant to recognize that it's fucked up that it appeals to you and that the very thing within you that kinda thinks joining a fight club might be a good idea is the thing that destroys everyone in the movie

true detective is about the same thing, but i don't think it articulates it as well. i think it acknowledges that rust's life is bleak and empty but i don't think it acknowledges that that very bleak emptiness is appealing to a particular kind of person, and it sort of needs to if it's going to really express what the problem is. it's not enough to just say, masculinity sucks because it deadens people emotionally and encourages them to be physically violent in order to compensate. you also have to recognize that those very qualities are what makes it attractive. just to stage a character who embodies the worst aspects of masculinity is counterproductive if it does not also observe that the implicit value system of the people you are, presumably, trying to reach, makes those the best aspects

i think marty was a little better because the show seems to largely be aware that he is a reprehensible shitheel, and also i think it was very clever to cast the intensely loveable woody harrelson in that role

The show wasn't aware he was a reprehensible shitheel, Pizzolatto wrote him as a human being with flaws who goes through triumphs and failures. The "detective's curse" monologue is pretty much the only scene I need to point to to show how much empathy the show has for that character.

This discussion has been closed.