As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallen London] et al.: Sunless Skies is out!

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Seven is the number. My body is the number.

When I first read this, a few hours ago, I that that said "My body is ready".

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I've had an invitation to the Temple Club kicking around and I decided to use it. It's beneath the Forgotten Quarter, built around a fountain and a silver tree like the one from the Fourth City, except this fountain has snake-statues that barf booze and fermented mare's milk. The club has a bunch of cool little things you can do there, including an alternate way to get Premises at the Bazaar, but I only get the one visit unless I'm invited back or somehow figure out how to become a member.

And then my dude noticed something weird in the fireplace...
    The outlines of a warrior and a robed man fighting. Then I started having other visions. A robed figure holding a chest. The skyline of Paris.

And I investigated further...
    Drowning

You walk over to the fountain. The serpent spews airag with ophidian calm. The smell of it is all around you. It's overpowering. Now you can taste it. It fills your mouth. Your lungs. You're drowning in airag. You cough and retch. Other members come over to help you, but they can do nothing. You black out.

And then it's gone. You can breathe again. The others are staring at you. 'No need to shout,' says a red-faced aristocrat. You beg his pardon. 'You were ranting! And in a funny accent, no less! Lot of nonsense.'

You enquire further. 'Warn the kings of the West', you said, and 'The Bazaar cannot be allowed to deal in Europe. Its eye must not fall on a Christian city!'

Someone chuckles. 'Bit late for that! And it hasn't turned out so badly, what?' People laugh, awkwardly.

You never again see patterns in dust or dancing flames in the Temple Club. The serpent is still. Whatever spirit frequents the Temple Club apparently considers its message delivered.

Hm. Hmmmm!

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Pretty sure I sent the last one, another is on the way

Edit: membership to the club was a perk to their Kickstarter a while back. Not sure if they opened it up to everyone else since, or not.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2017
    Oh, sweet, okay. That means maybe there'll be another opportunity with the Sunless Skies Kickstarter.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Just need to grind up 20 Making Waves over the next few days, and I'll be a Midnighter.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    I've started to go on expeditions to the Forgotten Quarter, since I need university access for something (for what? Now I don't remember my plan). I am not a huge fan. I'm farming whispered hints by attending courtly functions, which is not bad, but not too fun.

@Aersien invited me on a date to the house of chimes and took secrets from me?!
    These ulterior motivations...

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    I feel like Docks Favours are really the way to go for gathering supplies

4 supplies per, no challenge and only 50 rostygold required

the only problem is the fairly sporadic nature of acquiring them, but you can increase chances by having a Taciturn Mynah from Watchmaker's Hill, or certain other Fate-based opportunities

• Options
    The change to the favors system means that if you don't have a connected pet that grants favors, you done fucked up.

Switching my crappy mole to a Bandaged Raven was well worth it.

• Options
    AersienAersien Registered User regular
    Unlike @credeiki I really like expeditions. They feel weighty, but I like it a lot more than getting locked into something like flash lays or pickpocket's promenade. I've also been paying entirely with Favours: Docks, so I go expeditioning when my supplies are built up.

But I'm now at the point where my next expedition is probably supposed to be The Cave of the Nadir. Which is fine, once I get back to 60 supplies, but I'm not sure why. I've got two shifty companions, one of whom seems to have bought into the deepest horrors of the revolutionary agenda. I don't understand why they want to go to the Cave, which worries me. I have no idea why I'd want to go to the Cave regardless of them. Was some of this revealed in the long chain of opportunity cards I've forgotten?

Oh, and it needs an Eyeless Skull. I found one a few weeks ago, but it gave me terrible opportunity cards so I sold it. Plus I've gathered that all the illumination items are somehow tied to the revolutionaries and the Liberation of Night.

Really the whole enterprise screams bad idea from the outset. If there were an option up to this point to tell my partners in this thing to hash out their dysfunctional marriage ins someone else's parlor I probably would have, but the game seems very set on my going to this place. I'm just missing the motivation beyond "it's there" which in Fallen London is how you end up eating your own teeth and such.

• Options
    The husband says that there's a secret there about the nature of the Bazaar, and that it's older than the Bazaar (or something like this). The wife says that she can sell it to the Surface powers for a lot of money. Secrets and cash seem like ok motivations.

• Options
    You should do it because one day we will be free of all light and law

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    'Cause you might get a chance to lock them both in the damn cave, and take the McGuffin for yourself as a nice bit for the mantel, right next to the rat of glory.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    You should do it because the Cave is a place where you can sacrifice.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Also technically right before you wnter the cave has the most "efficient" way to convert Fate into echoes, at 312 echoes per action & 50 fate, along with a lot of unique items for another couple actions each time.

If you want to just blow 50 bucks on getting rich or something, I mean.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Orphane wrote: »

the only problem is the fairly sporadic nature of acquiring them, but you can increase chances by having a Taciturn Mynah from Watchmaker's Hill, or certain other Fate-based opportunities

I bought a tankard in order to get the requisite amount of docks reknown and it didn't take me all the way up to 5 reknown (maybe I didn't start with maxed out favors? Probably should have checked.) The thought of buying another pricy tankard annoys me, so I'm just gathering whispered hints. (Plus I don't have a reliable way of getting docks favors, either.)

I guess I do like opening the mystery bundle at the end of the expedition? That feels cool.

Maybe my problem is that I'm entirely unmoved by archaeologists and don't envision my fallen londoner as one, so spending a lot of actions at something I am not really invested in is a bit annoying.

• Options
    MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Saw a blimp once Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »

I bought a tankard in order to get the requisite amount of docks reknown and it didn't take me all the way up to 5 reknown (maybe I didn't start with maxed out favors? Probably should have checked.) The thought of buying another pricy tankard annoys me, so I'm just gathering whispered hints. (Plus I don't have a reliable way of getting docks favors, either.)

I guess I do like opening the mystery bundle at the end of the expedition? That feels cool.

Maybe my problem is that I'm entirely unmoved by archaeologists and don't envision my fallen londoner as one, so spending a lot of actions at something I am not really invested in is a bit annoying.

Using the tankard for renown should not have expended it. Double check your inventory and it should still be there. I have used mine quite a few times and I think the only way to lose it would be one of the fate locked options.

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Whoops! I can't dip souls in my leftover lacre anymore because I have no Urchin renown, and I can't get any because they forgot to update the carnival action (which now just does nothing).

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options

a simple way to get to 5 renown with any of the factions that have it implemented is to go to Ms Plenty's Carnival at either the Big Top or the Sideshows, depending on which faction

while it might cost 2-3 actions per it's very reliable and I would suggest raising renown via that way before buying the favours -> renown conversion item since the Carnival option ceases being available when you reach 5 renown IIRC

• Options
    I prefer connections to favor/renown. In part because they seem to be trying very hard to make favors less reliably obtained even though there are things that really rely on having the factions as an expendable resource.

• Options
    MoosehatIV wrote: »

Using the tankard for renown should not have expended it. Double check your inventory and it should still be there. I have used mine quite a few times and I think the only way to lose it would be one of the fate locked options.

*checks inventory; tankard is present*

Hmph well, if my Watchful were high enough to notice that sort of thing, I wouldn't need to go on expeditions in the first place...

(thanks for pointing that out!)

• Options
    Aersien wrote: »
    I prefer connections to favor/renown. In part because they seem to be trying very hard to make favors less reliably obtained even though there are things that really rely on having the factions as an expendable resource.

The issue with connections is that prior to the favors/renown system everything was really kludged together without a reliable value/generation rate for conmections. Some stuff was effectively ungrindeable, some stuff had reliable grinds that also generated resources, and some stuff (as my huge Constables/Society/Church shows) had absurd boosts that are almost impossible to spend; in my case, my menaces remover doubles as a ridiculously efficient grind for all three.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    it's also silly that doing actions which consume connections is like...impossible to quantify

i've done things where doing actions on one card consumed connections to the point of making me not qualify for another action on the next card and it's like "well, how was i supposed to know i would drop below that specific threshold of Connected required"

favours are nice and tidily quantifiable and since you don't lose Renown for trading in Favours you can track your overall "progress" with a faction much better than you could before with Connected since various actions might randomly increase/lower it

• Options
    Also what's the deal with the posi process

I passsed the 4 100 checks and the barrister said something about getting in touch?

Do i literally just flip cards waiting for the next step because that's fucking dumb

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    All these warnings when taking on this quest to find Mr. Eaten's name..

What the hell am I getting into that they're worried I'm gonna rage about it in an email to them?

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

What the hell am I getting into that they're worried I'm gonna rage about it in an email to them? Weird.

You can apparently actually die

As in, your account literally gets deleted?

In addition to a bunch of other bad shit happening

That's just what I've heard

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular

What the hell am I getting into that they're worried I'm gonna rage about it in an email to them? Weird.

Well...shit.

Guess that explains it. Going to have to think about this, I guess. I would definitely stop playing if I had to start from scratch at this point.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Renown and Favors is a better system for a thing you wait to to gain and spend

The problem is that currently there are relatively few ways to gain favors

• Options

The way I hear it, your character still "exists" at least in terms of the code is there and you can log in.

But you can't do anything with that character anymore.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular

I passsed the 4 100 checks and the barrister said something about getting in touch?

Do i literally just flip cards waiting for the next step because that's fucking dumb

Yes. I had to wait about two weeks for the card to show the first time (it gets more common once you are a POSI).

Alternatively a friend with a certain amount of notability can send the card to you.

I just blew 1500 pages of research to get back into the university for... nothing? There's no new story stuff at all. I guess just the searing enigma conversions or whatever.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Rami wrote: »

Yes. I had to wait about two weeks for the card to show the first time (it gets more common once you are a POSI).

Alternatively a friend with a certain amount of notability can send the card to you.

I just blew 1500 pages of research to get back into the university for... nothing? There's no new story stuff at all. I guess just the searing enigma conversions or whatever.

That's.... Incredibly silly

• Options

Well...shit.

Guess that explains it. Going to have to think about this, I guess. I would definitely stop playing if I had to start from scratch at this point.

I really should quantify exactly what SMEN needs since I looked into that much for my play, but at minimum unless you have the right outcome from a fate-locked non-resettable storyline you probably need either 10000 echoes or four months making a classic short story, along with 200 watchful with gear and a ton of time dedicated to dying/being imprisoned/generally fucking yourself up.

I guess it isn't too difficult to just do the unaccountably peckish cards and slowly build the SMEN quality but the candles get ridiculous.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I keep on getting an oppertunity card for the The Affluent Photographer.

But her option requires me to have trailing at 3, but I have it at 2, and can't seem to find a way to raise it.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Welp

Now i have to finish the Cheesemonger story to get a quality i need to progress in PoSI

*Keeps flipping cards*

• Options
    Welp

Now i have to finish the Cheesemonger story to get a quality i need to progress in PoSI

*Keeps flipping cards*

*flips orphane*

*flips table*

*flips self into a well*

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    I've been mining Cheesemonger for Connections and, most importantly, Favours: Docks to buy expedition supplies. But then I accidentally served the Cheesemonger too well and now I no longer get those cards. Oops.

The idea behind favor and renown, basically having an expendable resource and a way to expend it to make the resource more valuable, is solid enough. It also makes sense that a group that likes you can do you favors without liking you less. Just in execution the cap on 7 means favors are all pretty big, and it gets rid of the chance to get a little bit of a stat from an unrelated activity, which I like. And each favor to renown conversion requires its own item, and the items are all fairly pricey, so new players I guess should just figure out that they're supposed to grind up to 5 at the carnival and then stay there for a very long time? I don't think the feeling of it is quite right.

• Options
    edited January 2017

@Orphane I think he's talking about Slowcake's Amanuensis, not the next POSI stage. The Amanuensis is how you raise notability after you become a POSI.

the next POSI stage can happen multiple ways from multiple Barrister cards so if you get one and are like pffff fuck that keep flipping because there are others that might be more amenable

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

Orphane I think he's talking about Slowcake's Amanuensis, not the next POSI stage. The Amanuensis is how you raise notability after you become a POSI.

the next POSI stage can happen multiple ways from multiple Barrister cards so if you get one and are like pffff fuck that keep flipping because there are others that might be more amenable

Yeah, turns out i flipped the card to get lodgings or w/e

I had enough random currencies on hand to buy all the basic housings so i just did that

The next step requires that i either spend a ton of actions doing stuff I haven't actually been working on or just do the Cheesemonger storyline

I might just work on the dangerous beasts story since i have that unlocked concurrently while i try to flip cards since i didn't actually get started on the Cheesemonger storyline early due to not knowing how to start it for the longest time

• Options
    Aersien wrote: »
    I've been mining Cheesemonger for Connections and, most importantly, Favours: Docks to buy expedition supplies. But then I accidentally served the Cheesemonger too well and now I no longer get those cards. Oops.

The idea behind favor and renown, basically having an expendable resource and a way to expend it to make the resource more valuable, is solid enough. It also makes sense that a group that likes you can do you favors without liking you less. Just in execution the cap on 7 means favors are all pretty big, and it gets rid of the chance to get a little bit of a stat from an unrelated activity, which I like. And each favor to renown conversion requires its own item, and the items are all fairly pricey, so new players I guess should just figure out that they're supposed to grind up to 5 at the carnival and then stay there for a very long time? I don't think the feeling of it is quite right.

I agree that they could stand to present the renown system in a smoother manner, but it seems like the favours/renown system is in and of itself relatively new to Fallen London. They've only implemented it for like 4 (maybe 5 since i think there was an announcement about Urchins) factions so far

• Options
    MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Saw a blimp once Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Well, now to add urchins to renown grind. I had preemptively bumped my urchin connection up to about 170 which translated to 21 renown. Enough to get the first reward. So close to reward number two...

Hopefully it is as good as the defenstrating boots I got from the criminals.

Edit: and I think I just got a hint where the third urchin prize might be hidden. A hidden place far above London, looking down with grey eyes.

MoosehatIV on
  • Options
    I've been thinking that maybe someday I'll do SMEN with my current dude once I'm satisfied that I've done what I want to do

More likely, I'll just make an alt one of these days with the express purpose of Seeking

This discussion has been closed.