Options

Star wars V: the [Giant Bomb] Strikes back!

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Poorly, salvaged only by interpretation

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I think Naoto is a great character who is handled pretty well but also not handled perfectly.

There is a thing or two I don't like about her portrayal but it's not enough to erase the good that's there.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Well this seems awful (TWDG Season 2 Episode 4 spoilers)

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    I liked Naoto a lot. That said, I guess I understand why the way the story unfolded was disappointing for some.

(End-gamey stuff in here)
    Getting the impression that Naoto is a transgender man is pretty reasonable in-context, and if Index had pursued that and actually written it well, it could have been a huge, positive moment for a group that basically never gets nuanced representation in games. When the character's real arc is that they're just cross-dressing to assuage professional insecurities, I could see feeling like there was a sort of narrative shell game going on.

I think that the near-end-game reveal about the origins of the TV-world's shadows is really important when contextualizing Naoto (and Kanji, for other reasons). Given that the shadows are reflective of the town's collective subconscious (or perception, or whatever, I obviously didn't internalize the game's philosophical vocabulary all that well), it allows you to distinguish between some of the in-dungeon "characterization" and what the character(s) themselves say and demonstrate through their behavior.

With that considered, I thought Naoto was a likable character who acted consistently, and who felt three-dimensional and fully-formed.

signature.png

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    JohnHam wrote: »
    Isoldae wrote: »
    This is exactly what I feared would happen when they brought rorie on for the WoW stuff.

He is just taking over.

Wait I thought you hated Dan

Why are you even watching them

I don't know, interest in WoW? Interest in the perspectives of the other 66.6% of the people in the video? What even is this post.

It is quite literally a video series about dan and his exploits

I thought that was a pretty ok question to ask

I'm sorry the post was curt I guess?

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    MrDapper wrote: »

:/

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Yeah I...really did not like how Sarah ended up being treated in episode 4.

I actually found her to be a really interesting and sympathetic character through the series, and then episode 4 just really takes a dump on her.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    Poorly, salvaged only by interpretation

Who do you think you're talking to here

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I liked Naoto a lot. That said, I guess I understand why the way the story unfolded was disappointing for some.

Getting the impression that Naoto is a transgender man is pretty reasonable in-context, and if Index had pursued that and actually written it well, it could have been a huge, positive moment for a group that basically never gets nuanced representation in games. When the character's real arc is that they're just cross-dressing to assuage professional insecurities, I could see feeling like there was a sort of narrative shell game going on.

I think that the near-end-game reveal about the origins of the TV-world's shadows is really important when contextualizing Naoto (and Kanji, for other reasons). Given that the shadows are reflective of the town's collective subconscious (or perception, or whatever, I obviously didn't internalize the game's philosophical vocabulary all that well), it allows you to distinguish between some of the in-dungeon "characterization" and what the character(s) themselves say and demonstrate through their behavior.

With that considered, I thought Naoto was a likable character who acted consistently, and who felt three-dimensional and fully-formed.

Naoto is fantastic

I get peoples frustration at feeling like they "chickened out" of making two separate characters non-cis

But I don't think the character is lesser for grappling with gender identity issues and coming out on the other side with a better understanding of who she is just because part of that identity included being cis

Chincymcchilla on
    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options

but also it's more than that because Naoto presents the same way after being outed and does not correct people who use he/him

So I interpret her as genderqueer

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    naoto
    is not a good portrayal of a transgender person because she is not a transgender person

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Stilts wrote: »

I actually found her to be a really interesting and sympathetic character through the series, and then episode 4 just really takes a dump on her.

I thought she was great in episode 4

The way those telltale employees talk about her is not great

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options

but also it's more than that because Naoto presents the same way after being outed and does not correct people who use he/him

I don't recall anything in the game that would really subvert that interpretation (offhand), though I'm sure if you romance her it'd pretty much torpedo that opinion/understanding of the character, but I don't know if there's anything like that if you're just buds (I thought not).

signature.png

• Options

Naoto
    Yeah, that seems like a pretty reasonable assumption.

I believe Mitsuru actually uses male pronouns when referring to Naoto in P4A, and she never corrects her.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    p4 naoto stuff
    I think that Naoto's gender identity issues weren't fully resolved during the full course of the game, is the thing. Like Kanji, I think that there was a breakthrough made, but while Kanji is explicitly going to continue to explore that space, I don't think the game intimates that Naoto is going to be doing the same. If there was more of an idea that Naoto was going to explore what appeared to be some tendency towards the genderqueer spectrum instead of just stopping after that first breakthrough, I'd feel like the game stuck the landing a little better. That's not to say that the realizations made during the game weren't well-done, but it DOES feel like half the story. That's my gripe, I guess

• Options
    The only major issue I have with her portrayal is
    The whole thing where you can romance her and get her to change how she dresses.

That's shitty. If she came to the conclusion that she wanted to start dressing that way as part of her own independent development I would be fine with it, but the way it can happen feels real creepy.

I don't really like that she's a romance option at all, really. It just doesn't feel right.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    The dialog in Battlefield 4 was actually physically painful to me by the end. Reminded me of Peral Harbor. The movie. Not the real event.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited August 2014

I was pretty disappointed that you constantly got told that she was a pointless burden, but never got the chance to prove that statement wrong.

The fact that she dies either way feels like a "See? Told you so!" moment.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    All video game romances are bad except for making a cake in hate plus

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Why can't I romance the got-dang fox, Index?

signature.png

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    The best video game romance is RaidenxBlade Wolf

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Hullis wrote: »
    p4 naoto stuff
    I think that Naoto's gender identity issues weren't fully resolved during the full course of the game, is the thing. Like Kanji, I think that there was a breakthrough made, but while Kanji is explicitly going to continue to explore that space, I don't think the game intimates that Naoto is going to be doing the same. If there was more of an idea that Naoto was going to explore what appeared to be some tendency towards the genderqueer spectrum instead of just stopping after that first breakthrough, I'd feel like the game stuck the landing a little better. That's not to say that the realizations made during the game weren't well-done, but it DOES feel like half the story. That's my gripe, I guess

This makes sense.
    I actually really like how P4 doesn't really truly "solve" anyone's problems, and that the character development is more about realizing those problems exist and that it will be something they have to deal with as they grow up, but now they at least have a place to start and friends that will support them.

But I can agree that some of them should have been taken a little further, Naoto being one of them.

• Options

Shit, I still haven't done this.

I should

I should maybe do that tomorrow and post pictures of the process.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular

I should send that email someday

• Options
    edited August 2014
    The whole thing where you can romance her and get her to change how she dresses.

That's shitty. If she came to the conclusion that she wanted to start dressing that way as part of her own independent development I would be fine with it, but the way it can happen feels real creepy.

I don't really like that she's a romance option at all, really. It just doesn't feel right.

More P4A/Naoto spoilers
    Yeah, I'm not crazy about Naoto being an MC romance.

Which is why I perked up when Naoto seemed to show great interest in Mitsuru during her P4A route.

They're probably not gonna take that anywhere in P4U, but I can dream...

Because that would be pretty interesting.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    p4 naoto stuff

This makes sense.
    I actually really like how P4 doesn't really truly "solve" anyone's problems, and that the character development is more about realizing those problems exist and that it will be something they have to deal with as they grow up, but now they at least have a place to start and friends that will support them.

But I can agree that some of them should have been taken a little further, Naoto being one of them.
    Yeah really all I wanted was some indication that Naoto was going to continue to explore her gender and sexuality post-game and I'd have been way more on board, that's all

it's also kinda my main reason for disliking Rise's whole thing too, the game never really sets any expectations for her life after the game

• Options

More P4A/Naoto spoilers
    Yeah, I'm not crazy about Naoto being an MC romance.

Which is why I perked up when Naoto seemed to show great interest in Mitsuru during her P4A route.

They're probably not gonna take that anywhere in P4U, but I can dream...

Because that would be pretty interesting.
    I didn't realize how awesome a Naoto/Mitsuru couple would be until you said that just now.

Sorry Kanji. I'm shipping something new now.

• Options
    p4 naoto stuff

This makes sense.

Yeah really all I wanted was some indication that Naoto was going to continue to explore her gender and sexuality post-game and I'd have been way more on board, that's all

it's also kinda my main reason for disliking Rise's whole thing too, the game never really sets any expectations for her life after the game

Luckily for you we're getting
    Dancing All Night

• Options

I was pretty disappointed that you constantly got told that she was a pointless burden, but never got the chance to prove that statement wrong.

The fact that she dies either way feels like a "See? Told you so!" moment.
    I disagree that her death felt like an I told you so because Sarah's death is just bad luck, she happened to stand on the bad part of the deck. It had nothing to do with her disability

But I can see being disappointed that she never got a chance to prove herself

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    The most realistic romance in games is in The Darkness
    I won't say BEST because of fridging but goddamn, that couch scene

• Options

Yeah this part is awful

My main issue with the romances in that game is how ALL of them change how they act for the main character, or at least bend over backwards to please him

Kinda creeps me out

• Options
    p4 naoto stuff

This makes sense.

Rise
    I'm crossing my fingers that either Rise's route in P4U or the story of Dancing All Night delves into that some more.

Or both, ideally.

But hey, I'm not gonna be picky.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Also I hate the "this girl is a tomboy but REALLY she wants to be femenine and you should treat her as such" trope

• Options
    Yeah this part is awful

My main issue with the romances in that game is how ALL of them change how they act for the main character, or at least bend over backwards to please him

Kinda creeps me out

This is why the best and worst romance option is Ai.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Boy did I set off a god damn bomb in here or what

Also I'm assuming I shouldn't read these spoilers

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular

nah that's bs
    if you say you like her higher pitched voice on chrismas eve she will dress in the girl's uniform. at which point she immediately says "I'm going to go back to dressing my usual way"

she does not change how she dresses.

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular

Yeah this part is awful

Kinda creeps me out

yukiko doesn't do this

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Yes dont read them

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Boy did I set off a god damn bomb in here or what

Also I'm assuming I shouldn't read these spoilers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaO5gwyVcsg

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options

Yeah this part is awful

Kinda creeps me out

Rise doesn't.
    Rise stays Rise.

The romance with her is largely just her finally having someone who understands and loves both of her personas: the idol and the average girl.

IKknkhU.gif
This discussion has been closed.