Options

Mighty Morphin Power Thread: where we of course talk about TMNT

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/42Nr9O9Cz3s

Anyone up for a massive marathon of every complete Power Ranger series?

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Nope!

I mean, I love Rangers and wish I could, but I literally have something resembling a life that prevents it, just by the need for sleep alone.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I might throw that on in the background and clean my home.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I've got everything up to RPM (season 17) on dvd, so I can theoretically accomplish most of that on my own on a schedule that is more beneficial to me.

Some of the recent FXX Simpsons marathons taught me I'm too old to put much time into nonstop marathons.

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    I've got everything up to RPM (season 17) on dvd, so I can theoretically accomplish most of that on my own on a schedule that is more beneficial to me.

Some of the recent FXX Simpsons marathons taught me I'm too old to put much time into nonstop marathons.

I mean you wouldn't even need the DVDs, everything except the movies is all on Netflix. IIRC they made a long ass deal to keep it all there for at least the next few years.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Director Dean Israelite wanted a kaiju-like beast that would be a physical manifestation of Rita’s evil instead of a villain with a personality. “Dean and I talked about him being faceless and intimidating and characterless,” production designer Andrew Menzies says. “He’s an extension of Rita that’s unstoppable.”

Man this encapsulates my concerns with this movie pretty perfectly.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Haha what?

Jesus.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Lorahalo wrote: »

I mean you wouldn't even need the DVDs, everything except the movies is all on Netflix. IIRC they made a long ass deal to keep it all there for at least the next few years.

I keep forgetting it's up there. For some reason I kept thinking they only had the most recently completed season.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Lorahalo wrote: »

I keep forgetting it's up there. For some reason I kept thinking they only had the most recently completed season.

UK Netflix also has the movies.

• Options
    ...and despite owning the dvds and now knowing it's on Netflix, I've ended up watching the damn twitch marathon since someone sent me the link a little after it started.

Figured I'd just have it on in a separate window while working on stuff and then go do something else when I'm done. Instead I've watched six or so episodes in a row.

Can't stop now, we're only 3-4 episodes away from Tommy's debut. Also Bulk & Skull just got themselves a free airplane ride.

Wait, wasn't I suppose to get dinner? Oops.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I've been watching Dino Thunder myself. In spite knowing a considerable amount about it (due to reading up on it as I once thought I wouldn't watch it) I'm quite enjoying it, it's a good cast this season. And in spite hearing the theme song plenty of times before, it really is one of the greats.

"There's a light/in the distance/see it coming closer/with the force of ages/centuries gone by!"

Badass.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Haha what?

Jesus.

Fun fact Imaginext made a more or less show accurate goldar and its in scale with their zord figures. So even they get it and their stuff is for toddlers

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I just now finished watching linkara's history of the power rangers, including the episodes he's currently working on redoing for youtube strike/updated opinion reasons

wow, mega force was fucking dire, huh?

• Options
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Haha what?

Jesus.

Fun fact Imaginext made a more or less show accurate goldar and its in scale with their zord figures. So even they get it and their stuff is for toddlers

One of these days I will probably break down and buy some of those Imaginext toys. They're adorable.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I just now finished watching linkara's history of the power rangers, including the episodes he's currently working on redoing for youtube strike/updated opinion reasons

wow, mega force was fucking dire, huh?

Yes, yes it was

Chincymcchilla on
    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    i'm watching the marathon and dang, the wheels really fall off the wagon during the zyu2 footage, huh

zedd soon, though

• Options
    i'm watching the marathon and dang, the wheels really fall off the wagon during the zyu2 footage, huh

zedd soon, though

Oh you poor poor man...

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    the thing is that zedd is at least intentionally campy (eventually) which feels like a return to form

the thing about the zyu2 era is that they spend too much time trying to make the footage work

• Options
    edited March 2017
    the thing is that zedd is at least intentionally campy (eventually) which feels like a return to form

the thing about the zyu2 era is that they spend too much time trying to make the footage work

Yeah. Yeah that's what we all said 20-odd episode ago. Currently I miss the Zyu2 era.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Zedd is meant to be menacing early on and it works for just a little bit, but it falls of the rails pretty hard

Around when he marries Rita they both get really good

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Yeah but you guys are so concerned with your own personal headcanons that it's polluted your ability to enjoy the show

• Options
    @WeedLordVegeta The problem is that they were trying to make the Actor switch stuff as well as the White Ranger stuff work and they were really really struggling, probably harder than Zyu 2, to make it work

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    zedd is not good, at least when he's solo

maybe rita coming back will bring out the best in him but for where we're at in twa he just kind of growls and shoots lightning

don't get me wrong, zedd looks fucking badass and everything but at least rita repulsa had style

• Options
    zedd is not good, at least when he's solo

maybe rita coming back will bring out the best in him but for where we're at in twa he just kind of growls and shoots lightning

don't get me wrong, zedd looks fucking badass and everything but at least rita repulsa had style

So the thing about zedd is that they do a Hard Shift on him because parents were mad about the combination of his appearance and his darker nature

He gets goofy as hell (which is the zedd everyone remembers)

• Options
    The problem is that they were trying to make the Actor switch stuff as well as the White Ranger stuff work and they were really really struggling, probably harder than Zyu 2, to make it work

Yeah I'm specifically speaking about zedd, who kind of anchors the dhow as they get closer and closer to the switch-offs

• Options
    Yeah but you guys are so concerned with your own personal headcanons that it's polluted your ability to enjoy the show

Somewhat, but you also have the following situations:

1) the rangers cannot fight the monsters in suit, because their suits aren't from dairanger
    2) for most of season 2, Half the Rangers have extremely bad replacement VO in their morphed forms because the actors who play them are gone
    3) At some point, Half the rangers need only recycled footage when on screen because they're already gone from the show
    4) early on, Tommy can't fight the monsters OR the giant versions because his zord isn't in the same footage as the dairanger zords, then when he's back as white ranger he can't be on screen with the other rangers for a long time until they shoot original footage

So I get where you're coming from but also the stuff they are dealing with are insane hurdles that are genuine real problems with the first half of season 2

• Options
    it is still bonkers that they only took the kibaranger suit, dairanger's entire aesthetic is fantastic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImNMYl7tQZs

• Options
    it is still bonkers that they only took the kibaranger suit, dairanger's entire aesthetic is fantastic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImNMYl7tQZs

Here's something weird:

They also take the dairanger battle pose. The rangers start doing their signature poses sometime in the second season and keep it up for most of the arc

• Options
    my favorite part is when they have to use the footage of Tiny Kibaranger and try to rush through it

• Options
    my favorite part is when they have to use the footage of Tiny Kibaranger and try to rush through it

They also use the footage of the tigerzord literally falling over on its debut but try to pin it on Tommy being rusty

• Options

They also use the footage of the tigerzord literally falling over on its debut but try to pin it on Tommy being rusty

well they did a whole season of the pterazord running into a tree when called

• Options

Listen, Kimberly didn't have her pilot's license yet ITS FINE

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i definitely dont remember this show being so incredibly absurd

but also surprisingly good

• Options

Still one of my favorite things.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

Still one of my favorite things.

Also the megazord fumbling his sword every single time he calls it

• Options
    the dairanger mecha designs are so fucking ok emoji

• Options

The Thunderzord itself is fucking awesome, the Red Dragon zord in dragon form is cool, the Tigerzord is great, the rest are incredibly disappointing on their own.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    i forgot that this show attempts to sell alpha committing suicide

• Options

The Thunderzord itself is fucking awesome, the Red Dragon zord in dragon form is cool, the Tigerzord is great, the rest are incredibly disappointing on their own.

the only one that's not great is the griffinzord

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

the only one that's not great is the griffinzord

How can you dislike the griffin but not the unicorn, they're the same damn zord