As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Spend more on snacks than what it cost to get in, cause you're at the [Movies]

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    You know, considering that PotC was supposed to be a one-shot movie based on a theme park ride, and starring Legolas, I found the other two movies fit in snugly as a trilogy. Everything kinda tied up neatly, and some of the little things were almost perfect in how they played out.

3rd movie spoilers
    Will getting fatally stabbed with the sword he made himself in the first movie. If I recall, he even looks at the hilt, and gives a 'Wait, isn't that my sword?' look.

That being said, the love angle, aside from the wedding ceremony, was incredibly forced. When I'm rooting for the no-nonsense Commodore to marry Elizabeth, and not the plucky orphan blacksmith, you have an issue.

Which makes the third movie incredibly tragic. Dammit, I wanted to ship (no pun intended) them so badly.

Muzzmuzz on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    PotC 4 is one of those movies that isn't necessarily bad, it's just there and it is incredibly easy just not to give a shit about.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

It ain't real until it hits the screen.

And, honestly, there's a fair chance it won't. Let's not abandon hope just yet.

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    Jen and I have a running gag about Taken.

We never actually refer to the movie by name. The name of that film is 'Liam Neeson Beats Up Everybody'.

It has a sequel. Called 'Liam Neeson Beats Up Everybody... Again'. (Italics indicate where you have to put on movie trailer narrator voice, alternately called 'melodramatic Shatner'. We might have a few running gags).

A couple of days ago she came up to me and told me about the new movie in the series.
    "Denzel Washington is Liam Neeson in Liam Neeson Beats Up Everybody"

I love my wife, guys.

I hadn't heard of this movie but now I think I want to see it

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Artreus wrote: »

We never actually refer to the movie by name. The name of that film is 'Liam Neeson Beats Up Everybody'.

It has a sequel. Called 'Liam Neeson Beats Up Everybody... Again'. (Italics indicate where you have to put on movie trailer narrator voice, alternately called 'melodramatic Shatner'. We might have a few running gags).

A couple of days ago she came up to me and told me about the new movie in the series.

I love my wife, guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjctHUEmutw

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    equalizer is more death wish than taken

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Big Trouble in Little China- good, but a bit disappointing. I swear there's a movie like that with chinese dragons in it and I confused the two.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I still don't know what the plot of potc3 was

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Big Trouble in Little China- good, but a bit disappointing. I swear there's a movie like that with chinese dragons in it and I confused the two.

Son of a bitch must pay!

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    I'm just going to repost what I said in one of the other movie threads about PotC4 because it's as true now as then
    Best part of Stranger Tides is the Spanish just not giving a fuck about anything happening in the A or B plot. Just came to do their job for Christendom and get the fuck out. It's like they were in some earlier version of the script and somebody just forgot to tell them.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Geoffrey Rush's POTC character should have been the main character of the sequels, not Johnny Depp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTkIIvApmok

start at 11 minutes

why this was fucking cut I will never know

Oh, yeah, this is a fantastic scene

I just think Barbossa is cooler

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    I still don't know what the plot of potc3 was

The Man is winning, the pirates are getting cleared out, so the pirates of the world held a World Summit, and then Gol D. Roger told them where they can find his treasure. Wait

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I've said it before, but Taken is the best superhero movie out there (and that's not a jab at superhero movies).

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    If you want Liam Neeson and a comic bookish type film, check out Darkman.

He plays a scientist who gets his lab trashed by the mob and gets disfigured in the process.

The guy was experimenting with artificial replacement skin to replace a burned faces and such (convenient!) and uses this to create disguises to infiltrate the mob and take revenge.

It's one of those smartly written flicks that seems to better liked by critics than a general audience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L58rdhCfDIU

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    I find It odd that they are calling it Taken 3, when it seems like no one actully gets taken.

Also, they should have stopped with the first Taken. It was pitch perfect, and required no follow up. Especially not the one it got.

Taken 2 had absolutely no bite, the first Taken was what I like to call a fist pump movie. A movie filled with moments where when the hero prevails and the bad guy gets his comuppence, you pump your fist and say "Yes!" Taken 2 had none of those moments.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular

I love my wife, guys.

I'm convinced these films are becoming a genre: cast an older actor who's up for an action film, and have them punch guys for 90 minutes. You're banking on their star appeal and the simple promise of them doing something fun, which seems to be working quite well. I know The Equalizer was a TV series, but seeing Washington in an interview about it the other day, he said they basically just took the name and premise of it being about a guy who beats people up.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

I love my wife, guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjctHUEmutw

Taken 4: Taken it to the Streets

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    But you see, you saw it and they made money so they don't give a shit.

• Options
    I'm finally watching Big Trouble in Little China.

This is the most baffling film I've seen in a while.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular

I love my wife, guys.

For me and my old roommate, it was ...

Qui Gon Jin Beats the Shit Out of Paris

and then ...

Darkman Returns: You Didn't Learn From Paris, Did You?

We haven't decided on the third one, but I'm making a strong push for ...

Rob Roy Murders Your Face Again

• Options
    Dee dubs, I have a 100% serious request.

Could you just put together a list of all the dumb fake movie titles you can and send the mto me?

I wish to do a reading in a Don LaFontaine voice.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular

I love my wife, guys.

For me and my old roommate, it was ...

Qui Gon Jin Beats the Shit Out of Paris

and then ...

Darkman Returns: You Didn't Learn From Paris, Did You?

We haven't decided on the third one, but I'm making a strong push for ...

Rob Roy Murders Your Face Again

He's Gawain To Kick Your Ass

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Goatmon wrote: »
    I'm finally watching Big Trouble in Little China.

This is the most baffling film I've seen in a while.

Is this gonna get ugly now? Huh? I hope not.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Ms chilla is a HUGE fan of the old crappy equalizer show so we are seeing the movie this weekend

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Someone else here said it but I don't remember who
    Maybe Bale?

But one of the great things about Big Trouble in Little China is that at no point does Kurt Russell ever understand or even really believe most of the shit that's going on around him
    His only concerns are if he or his friend are about to die at that very moment and the rest he just kinda goes, sure, whatever! And runs with it

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Big trouble in little china feels like everyone in the film shot their dialogue and scenes separately and they somehow green-screened them all into the same shots in post

Also it's awesome

Prohass on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Darkman 3: Die, Darkman, Die! Is one of the best movie titles ever.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Big Trouble in Little China is amazing and I will not hear arguments to the contrary. Jack Burton is a national treasure.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Prohass wrote: »
    Big trouble in little china feels like everyone in the film shot their dialogue and scenes separately and they somehow green-screened them all into the same shots in post

Also it's awesome

Having said this the movie still has more of a sense of camaraderie amongst its characters than many of today's blockbuster cgi films

Also just watched sin city dame to kill for, god that was pretty bad. Eva green was great and the JGL segments were brilliant, the middle just dragged and the ending was so dumb it soured me completely on it

Prohass on
  • Options
    ="Goatmon;30870293"]Dee dubs, I have a 100% serious request.

Could you just put together a list of all the dumb fake movie titles you can and send the mto me?

I wish to do a reading in a Don LaFontaine voice.

I'll start with the ones I have in my DVD library and go from there.

Keep in mind that this is going to be a major project, so it's going to take some time.

Here's one to tide you over:

Denzel Washington

Mila Kunis

Gary Oldman

in

The Book Of Fallout

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I really love that Jack Burton is actually the bumbling sidekick and Wang is the real hero of the movie

I can't believe there is no YouTube clip of Jack Burton firing his rifle into the ceiling to lead the charge and then a piece of it falling on him

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    "Where are we, Wang?"

"YOU ARE NOWHERE"

teehee

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Ms chilla is a HUGE fan of the old crappy equalizer show so we are seeing the movie this weekend

But it had a rad theme song!

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

But it had a rad theme song!

Oh sure

But it was sooo baaaad

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    god chincy next you're going to tell me airwolf was bad...

• Options
    Naphtali wrote: »
    god chincy next you're going to tell me airwolf was bad...

Ms chilla's other favorite show from that era was Forever Knight, a canadian show about a vampire detective

holy fuck its awful

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    A vampire would make a terrible Detective!

• Options
    My God, Lo Pan is such a great cheesy villain.

• Options
    A vampire would make a terrible Detective!

well you see all the crimes happened at night

This discussion has been closed.