As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You'll never guess what happened at my [Job] thread today...

FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain.Registered User regular
edited September 2014 in Social Entropy++
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqXmaFPn604

This is the job thread.

You should know how it works by now.

Hiring, firing, coworkers, customers, and the only catch there is: you can only get a job by first having experience, you can only get experience by first having a job.

And we all pretend like that it all makes perfect sense.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
Fishman on

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    So, today I returned from a week off to find that last Monday, a man in a balaclava walked into one of our front offices, pulled out a double barrelled shotgun, levelled it at the nearest staff member, and pulled the trigger. He then proceeded through the office, firing and reloading and firing again at any staff member he could see as the dozen or so people inside the office fled the building.

Two staff were killed, and another seriously wounded.

So the first thing that I did this morning was observe 2 minutes silence to mark the deaths of two staff members a week ago.

A number of our offices in the region were closed for a few days, and every office in the entire country will be closed for an hour this afternoon during the memorial service.

Now, for me, working in ministry head office it's not exactly like being in a service centre, and I am a long way removed from front line customer interaction, so I don't really know anyone who even knows the people who were directly affected. I am several degrees of separation from the tragedy.

But I am a part of the same faceless bureaucratic machine that apparently incensed someone enough to go postal in a small South Island town specifically targetting the people working there.

A review is underway of safety and security at all of our sites, starting with front line positions, but ultimately will stretch to include us here in the 70's concrete office blocks behind parliament where I work.

I'm not sure how I feel about any of this at present.

Either way, it was a hell of a thing to come back into the office to from a tropical beach holiday, let me tell you.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Holy shit Fishman.

That's horrid.

Did they get the guy?

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Holy shit Fishman.

• Options
    ManishtushuManishtushu Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    My flatmate is a case manager at WINZ, and this has her rather shaken.

Edit: yes, they did catch the guy, rather soon after the shooting.

Manishtushu on
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Yeap. The guy has been arrested.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Yeah, they caught the guy later that day. He had fled on a mountain bike he had arrived on, but was spotted on a farm later that day by a farmer who had seen the news on his smartphone. Modern conveniences, right?
    My flatmate is a case manager at WINZ, and this has her rather shaken.

I have worked with, and have many friends who either are or were case managers at one point or another. Many of the people around me right now started in a front office, or have worked at one in one capacity or another.

I haven't even really processed it yet, although it's all kind of new to me. I'm not even sure what people who have worked front line offices must be going through.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Guys I had a kinda bad day at wor... oh.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I'm sorry Fishman, that is absolutely horrible.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    That is one hell of a way to start the new thread.

• Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    I'm so very sorry.

I'm a little stunned, and across an ocean. I have no words for what it would be like to be closer to the tragedy.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Jeeeeez

I remember hearing about this last week. What an utterly awful thing.

It's such a bizarre and horrible feeling when these sorts of horrors that you would normally only read or hear about somehow manage to creep into proximity to your own life in some way.

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    Wow fishman, just... wow, what a horrible thing

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Jesus, I'm sorry dude. People are messed up.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Yeah i cant imagine having to deal with a situation like that. Really sad for everyone involved.

Welp. With some happier news, i got my annual raise the other day! Something like another 4 or 5 an hour (i have to check my pay stub on the computer to see the true amount). And today i start this week long cryogenics course. Ive already got my priorities set, im not going to fuck this up - I WILL get a seat in the back away from all the managers, damnit.

Also this is me waking up at 3am for some reason because as a shift worker my sleep schedule is just totally fucked up

Al_wat on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I thought about you when we heard the news, Fishman. But we were still out of the country and only vaguely got details.

I'm sorry, buddy.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Fish was right, I never would have guessed that.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Fishman, I am both horrified by these events and deliriously relieved to know that you're still with us.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    I got my official work hoodie today.

broken image link
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    That is awful Fishman. I'm glad to see they seem to be jumping on the security aspect though. No one should be in fear for their life in showing up to work.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

What size does a polar bear wear, exactly?

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

What size does a polar bear wear, exactly?

Ursa large

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    You mean ursa major

• Options
    There's a town in Ontario, Canada named 'Guelph' which my Monday morning brain translated to 'gilf' and made me expel lukewarm coffee through my nostrils. Even though Wikipedia says it's pronounced 'gwelf' I'm going to keep my version and daydream about an entire town filled with the ageless beauty of Vanna White and Christie Brinkley.

The rest of you are more welcome to join me in this endeavor.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I would say something about the Hell Known to Men I work at but I will wait a page or two before I say it

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    There's a town in Ontario, Canada named 'Guelph' which my Monday morning brain translated to 'gilf' and made me expel lukewarm coffee through my nostrils. Even though Wikipedia says it's pronounced 'gwelf' I'm going to keep my version and daydream about an entire town filled with the ageless beauty of Vanna White and Christie Brinkley.

The rest of you are more welcome to join me in this endeavor.

I've been to Guelph.

It's a lovely place.

Didn't see any gilfs though.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    So my graduate class yesterday. It was at 8:30. People were complaining about how early it was.

Oh those sweet summer children.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I've been to Guelph.

It's a lovely place.

Then it looks like this imaginary brochure is a pack of lies.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I've been to Guelph.

It's a lovely place.

Then it looks like this imaginary brochure is a pack of lies.

My preferences are probably different than yours

Never rule out your dreams until you try them yourself!

• Options
    WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular
    In my last semester of college (woo)

Two jobs, both want to schedule me for 25-30 hour weeks (Bookstore/office worker deal)

Bookstore absolutely ignores my requests for just 10-15 hours a week until I'm done with school because well, 55 hour work weeks + 17 hours of classes is pretty much impossible to balance.

So I'm going to have to talk to the owner today and tell them to either cut me back immediately, like this very week, schedule they've made be damned, or that I'll probably have to walk because I have such little free time that I'm fucking up in class.

• Options
    WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular
    oh wait shit I just read Fishman's post

jesus dude

I'm so sorry.

• Options
    I used to live in guelph. Went to the university of guelph. Good school; lots of girls.

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    So, uh, this guy came in today.

29rdjom0qrqm.jpg

I think it's seen better days.
    smvy1u09e8il.jpg
    7ux793o668br.jpg

I think it tried to take on a truck and lost.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    I'm amusing myself this morning by singing the names of people I'm ordering raws for to the tune of the B-52s "Quiche Lorraine." It's quite enjoyable. Did I mention I'm sleep-deprived? Because I'm extremely sleep-deprived.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    I used to live in guelph. Went to the university of guelph. Good school; lots of girls.

Was this written in the voice of Rorschach, because that's how I'm reading it.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    People have been very deferential to me today and I didn't realize why until I saw myself in the mirror.
    Apparently I shaved my facial hair this morning in such a way that my neutral expression looks like I'm scowling, and smiling just makes me look sad.

• Options
    wrong_buttonwrong_button Registered User regular
    Resting beard face?

• Options
    Oh fuck. So in this cryo course the guy spent the morning going over thermodynamics equations.

Just now, with the instructor stepped out of the room, an operator goes off saying "we dont gove a rats fucking ass about equations we just wasted the whole god damned morning on this bullshit".

Except the guy running the course walked in right as the operator said all that stuff.

Ah jeez

• Options
    Kick_04Kick_04 Registered User regular
    So I am confused and not sure what to do with my job hunting....

For about 2 months now I have gotten zero interviews or calls, recieved a few letters denying me.

Three weeks ago I got a phone call from Company A for a job, went to the interview and the main guy had home emergency and missed it. I called them for a follow up after Labour Day, scheduled a second interview for last Thursday and they cancelled it 3 hours before hand. Asked to reschedule for Friday or Monday, I said Friday. Friday 3 hours before interview they cancelled again and asked for Tuesday. They contacted me today to assure me tomorrow's second interview will go forward.

Saturday I went to a job fair for Company B and talked to the people there and how it would be a career change and what not, the screening was done by the manager, production manager, and lead operator. I recieved a phone call today telling me I passed the screening and want me to schedule an interview.

Today I recieved an email from Company C, telling me that I am in conserdation for a job I applied to.

Company A is very small (<10 employee's) and I would have about 5-6 job roles. Some of which I want more experience in for my future.
    Company B is global company, very good benefits but extremly strict about days calling off or being late.
    Company C is a global company, not sure about anything else.

Ironically all deal with Aerospace industry.

Right now I like the idea of working for a small laid back company, but the multiple interview cancelations and general organization of the company concerns me. However company B probably has better benefits/retirement and would be doing more specialized work and I know they do internal promotions.

Suggestions or thoughts?
    I plan on calling company B in about an hour or so to schecule an interview later this week or next.

PSN id - kickyoass1
    PaD id - 346,240,298
    Marvel FF - Lil bill12
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Interview with everyone first. Make the decision after you get all the job offers.

schuss on
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUBBLLLEEEPOSTING

schuss on
This discussion has been closed.