Options

The [superhero] thread is an unstoppable force

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I hope we see more (DoFP spoilers, some Marvel movies ones too)
    Quicksilver in future movies

And I really hope he doesn't devolve into the kind of morose, broody and/or sarcastic, prickish character I've almost exclusively seen him as prior to this in comics

Marvel is going to have a really hard time making me like their version of the character more. That is not a sentence I would have predicted myself saying before now.
    Quicksilver is confirmed to have a larger role in X-Men Apocalypse.

We're also getting new versions of Jean Grey, Cyclops, Storm and Gambit. I think Nightcrawler may have been mentioned as well?

It's set in the 80s so I hope they make Gambit as ridiculously action cool 80s guy as possible

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Little bummed I didn't end up being more excited about all the callbacks to the original cast in this movie

They were fine

But mostly I'm just kind of glad to hear we seem to be officially moving on from them.

Those movies are all really fun and definitely a massive part of that era of cinema for me, but I dunno. The nostalgia just wasn't there. Rest well, old X-Men, but you won't be especially missed.

Keep Logan, though. He was fantastic.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    I've said it before but making the X-Men movie franchise period pieces that are tangentially tied to real world events was maybe the smartest move Fox has pulled

It is really fun to watch, lends itself to interesting plots and lets the franchise stand out in the crowded superhero movie market

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    sin city and 300 seemed like faithful adaptations of their source material at the very least

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Well, I've been needing to reorganize my boxes and I'm behind on some bagging and boarding, so this Longbox site has motivated me to correct this

• Options
    It's interesting just how much better Hugh Jackman seems to be as an actor when he's got a better character and script to work with

I didn't really care about him at all in the movies before now, maybe largely because before now Wolverine was sort of a one-note kinda dude in those

But he did a hell of a job in DoFP

Hmmm. Actually, I'm remembering now the early early scenes up in like Canada with Rogue and Logan. Those were real solid too. Maybe I just need to watch those movies again.

• Options
    DversedDversed Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Remember when people wanted Glen Danzig to play Wolverine. Alot people were really disappointed they got some no name named Hugh Jackman.

Dversed on
  • Options
    X-Men 1 is super-underrated IMO

(And X2 is overrated)

• Options
    I recall X-Men 1 doing some interesting stuff with color, at least in the beginning

It's all really really gray and bleak up until they reach the school, when it's an explosion of colors

Just something that has stuck with me much more than anything else about the movie for some reason

• Options
    edited October 2014
    I really liked Magneto's plan in the first film, even if it wasn't going to work (in fact I also liked this aspect of it, because just like the mutant issue, he was so sure he had it all figured out as to how it was going to play out, and would have been proven wrong)

Whereas X2 has an attempted genocide of all mutants, followed by an attempted genocide of all humans

It's too much

Also X-Men 1 has the toad line which is the absolute best

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Finally got around to seeing Days of Future Past

Goodness, that was a quality film motion picture movie

The costumes were all just as ridiculous as all those magazine covers, but I didn't end up caring at all really

Fantastic performances from everyone involved, and the story was just really really good too

This being said,
    Quicksilver stole the entire movie, and he wasn't even in a lot of it

I could not stop smiling through the entire Time in a Bottle scene, rewatched it twice before proceeding, then after the movie watched it again 3 more times

What a fantastic thing they did with a character who has never appeared in a role I've remotely liked before now

And what a really amazing scene too. I'm sure its been done before in a movie, but the combination of the music and Quicksilver's kinda laid back, "I'm enjoying this so much" attitude just really really sold it spectacularly well.

If I had to make a complaint, it was that Magneto just ended up doing the same thing he's done in all the previous movies. But even this ended up being pretty OK because he was more of a vessel for Mystique's character progression, which more than made up for his almost total lack of any forward character motion. Mystique was really fantastic. Loved her entire arc.

I don't know if I've seen a movie at all this year I liked more than this one, even compared against the likes of Godzilla and Guardians.

It drives me crazy that
    They insisted on Magneto being the bad guy again. The guys playing Xavier and Magneto have excellent chemistry, they've had him as the villain for 5 whole movies, and the movie spends so much time having old Magneto talk about how many years he wasted. How perfect would the ending have been if they had stopped Magneto by Xavier providing a link between old and new Mags and let old Man convince young man that he's got more to gain by putting up with Xavier's opinions and to try and work together.

Next movie starts with a new X-team mentored by the two men together.

Quire.jpg
  • Options

The costumes were all just as ridiculous as all those magazine covers, but I didn't end up caring at all really

Fantastic performances from everyone involved, and the story was just really really good too

This being said,

I could not stop smiling through the entire Time in a Bottle scene, rewatched it twice before proceeding, then after the movie watched it again 3 more times

What a fantastic thing they did with a character who has never appeared in a role I've remotely liked before now

And what a really amazing scene too. I'm sure its been done before in a movie, but the combination of the music and Quicksilver's kinda laid back, "I'm enjoying this so much" attitude just really really sold it spectacularly well.

If I had to make a complaint, it was that Magneto just ended up doing the same thing he's done in all the previous movies. But even this ended up being pretty OK because he was more of a vessel for Mystique's character progression, which more than made up for his almost total lack of any forward character motion. Mystique was really fantastic. Loved her entire arc.

I don't know if I've seen a movie at all this year I liked more than this one, even compared against the likes of Godzilla and Guardians.

It drives me crazy that
    They insisted on Magneto being the bad guy again. The guys playing Xavier and Magneto have excellent chemistry, they've had him as the villain for 5 whole movies, and the movie spends so much time having old Magneto talk about how many years he wasted. How perfect would the ending have been if they had stopped Magneto by Xavier providing a link between old and new Mags and let old Man convince young man that he's got more to gain by putting up with Xavier's opinions and to try and work together.

Yeah that wasn't amazing
    it still didn't reeeeaally bother me that much because I very much like what they've done with Mystique in this pair of movies.

Magneto's role felt like a wasted opportunity, given what they'd been doing with him up until that point, but I was sufficiently mollified by the resolution to her character arc of the movie.

I can't imagine they've done this setup for nothing, though. I'd wager pretty heavily that they'll do some stuff with that in the next movie.

• Options
    Woo boy

There's like...nothing on Longbox yet

Well, at least my collection's organized, and I'll definitely update it when they get a bunch of stuff added

• Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    Alright. I rented Captain America 2. I haven't seen the first one nor do I know anything about America. Am I going to enjoy this movie?

• Options
    Well

He punches and kicks people really hard

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Alright. I rented Captain America 2. I haven't seen the first one nor do I know anything about America. Am I going to enjoy this movie?

If anything, seeing the Avengers would be a better prerequisite than Cap 1. However if you know the basics of Cap's origins, you should be fine.

• Options
    Well

Alright. Okay. Good. I think I'm ready.

I've also seen the documentary Winter Soldier, so I think I'm all set.

• Options
    Stephen Amell dropped some details on the Flash/Arrow crossover:
    Amell says the fight is unlike anything he's done on Arrow, as it required so many effects shots and Arrow is almost always practical.

The genesis for their fight was Amell's idea which was thrown at the writers who ran with it.

Amell says they just filmed, so it is a post-crossover midseason episode, the largest fight scene Arrow has ever done. Which is pretty bonkers considering last season's finale.

Oliver will interact with the STAR Labs crew from Flash, with Oliver making a "very interesting" observation about Harrison Wells to Barry.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular

This being said,

It drives me crazy that

Even if Magneto
    changes his mind, the government would still want to imprison him and I doubt that he would let that happen. Unless they have Xavier make everyone forget what Magneto did, it would be kind of hard to have Magneto do all the stuff he did and still become a good guy.

• Options
    Oh man, I forgot that movie came out this year. I forgot that I loved the ever living hell out of that movie.

Any movie where Richard Nixon saves the day is okay in my book.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Nightcrawler is getting his own movie right? I haven't seen the trailer yet but I'm crossing my fingers!
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Amell says the fight is unlike anything he's done on Arrow, as it required so many effects shots and Arrow is almost always practical.

The genesis for their fight was Amell's idea which was thrown at the writers who ran with it.

Amell says they just filmed, so it is a post-crossover midseason episode, the largest fight scene Arrow has ever done. Which is pretty bonkers considering last season's finale.

Oliver will interact with the STAR Labs crew from Flash, with Oliver making a "very interesting" observation about Harrison Wells to Barry.

And then . . . Boxing glove arrows courtesy of Cisco Ramon.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options

This being said,

It drives me crazy that

Even if Magneto
    changes his mind, the government would still want to imprison him and I doubt that he would let that happen. Unless they have Xavier make everyone forget what Magneto did, it would be kind of hard to have Magneto do all the stuff he did and still become a good guy.

Which is only a problem because the movie is not written in service of the ending I was discussing.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    They'll have to team in Age of Apocalypse so maybe Magneto will have a change of heart at the end of that movie.

• Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    I would absolutely be down with boxing glove arrows.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    sometimes you just want to punch someone who's a really long way away.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    presumably because the xavier/magneto disagreement over methods is the primary thing that makes the story go; if they team up and work together more permanently than they did in first class there's not that much of a story left to tell

it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    presumably because the xavier/magneto disagreement over methods is the primary thing that makes the story go; if they team up and work together more permanently than they did in first class there's not that much of a story left to tell
    I think having 2 movies where Magneato is an allly and friend and ripping that away would have been better. First class rushed everything and it shows.

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    More Erik Lehnsherr, Nazi Hunter would also be a welcome.

• Options
    It was just a bad idea to have Xavier and Magneto become adversaries at the end of First Class.

Regardless, there are plenty of X-Men villains they could use for Xavier and Magneto to fight. There are a lot of opportunities to reshuffle stuff after the DoFP. Fox also owns Fantastic Four so they can use their villains too. Depending on how powerful they make Apocalypse, they could even go cosmic with the Shi'ar and Galactus.

• Options

I would argue that you can tell stories involving Magneto and Xavier arguing over methods better if they are on the same side. Magneto has been an ally of the X-men for a while in the comics. Its a nice set up.

Plus the studio clearly thinks that Magneto being involved is important and they have squeezed every last drop from the "Magneto is the villain" well.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    More Erik Lehnsherr, Nazi Hunter would also be a welcome.

Im almost positive that was a stand alone movie at some point

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Yeah in addition to Wolverine Origins I do remember Magneto Origins was being planned, but I think when Wolverine tanked they just folded Magneto into First Class

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Well

I just wanted to emphasize this part, he hits SO hard in Cap 2 , it's bonkers ( in a good way!) , but you will wince at a couple of them, hits like a truck!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

this is my grumpy face

you can't see it but I'm making it

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    Why? Amell is a total dork in the best way possible, and I kind of love him for it. If he's thrown something at the writers, it'll probably be pretty cool!

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Legba wrote: »
    Why? Amell is a total dork in the best way possible, and I kind of love him for it. If he's thrown something at the writers, it'll probably be pretty cool!
    I pretty much don't enjoy heroes fighting under any circumstances

Except like, a fighting video game

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Legba wrote: »
    I pretty much don't enjoy heroes fighting under any circumstances

Except like, a fighting video game

I don't think that is meant by that sentence.

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Nightcrawler is getting his own movie right? I haven't seen the trailer yet but I'm crossing my fingers!

And then . . . Boxing glove arrows courtesy of Cisco Ramon.

You know...Boxing glove my be too cheesy for TV, but you have to figure that all those specialized arrows have to start happening sometime. It is an integral part of the character's abilities that they have pretty much ignored so far.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    if people are signing up on Longbox, we should follow each other

I think you should be able to follow me if you go to https://longbox.me/user/centipededamascus

you know it's a good beta when the legal section that you agree to just says "placeholder document"

This discussion has been closed.