As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Agents of SHIELD] Age of Inhumans

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    As part of my MCU viewing I'm binge watching this show.

I'm on the episode where Ward does that fucking thing right after the events of Cap 2 that makes no fucking sense and this show better start making some sense.

Because that came out of nowhere and right now I'm confused as fuck.

He does address specific examples of it not making sense in an episode afterwards.
    In response to the question 'why were you acting like a nice guy so much?', the answers generally boil down to 'I was a spy. That's kind of the way spies blend in.'

And there's one case of what looks like poor editing in an earlier episode that this shows to be much smarter; during his fight with May in 'Yes Men', the editing show his brainwashing getting broken just before he pulls the trigger on May. He totally took the chance to cross her off and blame it on mind control.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I totally agree that Fitz is pretty much the best character in the MCU. He's the Cisco of AoS.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    I totally agree that Fitz is pretty much the best character in the MCU. He's the Cisco of AoS.

My only concern:
    I don't want him to be right all the time. So far, he's been pretty much perfectly compassionate while being spot-on in his hard truths. But I could see the character falling into a trap of being the nice guy who's always right to be nice. I'd like to see him burned for it too.

In fairness, the Mac plotline should be blowing up in his face any time now, so...

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Re: Ward
    the ward reveal was pretty awesome. Like... He was the "bland white guy hero" everyone found bland...

Only, he wasn't. He was just acting as if he was the bland white guy hero, while being a seriously seriously mentally deranged agent for hydra, but ONLY for his own gain.

Basically he played a decade old Nazi plant organization inside for his own gain.

Also... newer episode spoiler
    they kinda did the same/opposite with mac/bobby- they also where the straight "mercenary with a heart of gold" heroes, but it turn's out they weren't

The show is not quite on arrow levels with the supposed brainfuck, but it's getting there.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

My only concern:
    I don't want him to be right all the time. So far, he's been pretty much perfectly compassionate while being spot-on in his hard truths. But I could see the character falling into a trap of being the nice guy who's always right to be nice. I'd like to see him burned for it too.

In fairness, the Mac plotline should be blowing up in his face any time now, so...

Look..
    Captain America's superpower is basically "being the good guy", so if you're opposed to Cap, you know you're opposed to all that humanity should strive for.

But he didn't get that from a super serum

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    We still don't know. Real Shield may very well have done several missions or have just graduated from a ragtag group to being a legitimately formed team. We only have the Coulson Shield side of things so far.

• Options
    Real shield
    probably has the rest of the artifacts, don't they? Hydra hasn't done anything to indicate they have them

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Ward was reminding me a lot of Cal in this episode for some reason.

Might have just been the creepy psychopath in a suit vibe

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

My only concern:

The traumatic brain injury and failed relationship with Simmons isn't enough?

• Options

My only concern:

Look..
    Captain America's superpower is basically "being the good guy", so if you're opposed to Cap, you know you're opposed to all that humanity should strive for.

But he didn't get that from a super serum

I totally get where you're coming from!
    I don't want Fitz to change. I want him to be right most of the time. And Captain America without the serum is a fantastic way of looking at Fitz. But Cap can be right 99% of the time in a movie and it works, because a movie is two hours long. A TV show is going to be 20+ episodes a season, for what's hopefully 5-7 seasons. And Fitz being right all the time would be bad. It doesn't look like they're going there yet - as I said, he's off in his judgment of Mac - but while I love Fitz being the moral heart and voice of the team I don't want to see his opinions always be right or work out for the best.

There's a quote out there by William Faulkner: "the young man or woman writing today has forgotten the problems of the human heart in conflict with itself which alone can make good writing, because only that is worth writing about, worth the agony and the sweat." Captain America's super power doesn't work dramatically if the right choices are all easy or the right choices are always the choices that work out for the best.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Real shield
    probably has the rest of the artifacts, don't they? Hydra hasn't done anything to indicate they have them
    Actually I am assuming that the Inhumans have them. At the very least they have one of them.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Real shield
    I'm sure Coulson will think either they or Hydra have them. However it seems more likely that the Inhumans have them.

Whitehall was the one that dug up the alien and the diviner. He only had the one. The other Inhuman (Reader?) had one though.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    So I'm predicting the Inhumans
    Still worship the Kree as gods and consider themselves chosen ones. It shows with the guy's obvious disdain for Cal's "inferior" power source. Raina will fit right in.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The whole "Coulson is compromised we can't trust him" argument would be a lot easier to swallow if one of their double agents wasn't Mack.

Mack isn't in charge of a SHIELD splinter group, and Bobbi is corroborating his story.

• Options
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

My only concern:

The traumatic brain injury and failed relationship with Simmons isn't enough?

It's not an immediate concern. He's earned everything he has going for him right now. I'm just saying, it's a fine line to walk with the character. Too far one way and he'd be pretty much unbearable.

• Options
    So I'm predicting the Inhumans
    Still worship the Kree as gods and consider themselves chosen ones. It shows with the guy's obvious disdain for Cal's "inferior" power source. Raina will fit right in.

I'm guessing
    That the Kree shut down the Terrigenesis experiments because the Inhumans rebelled. They've been killing Kree scouts who show up investigating Terragenesis signals. At least I hope they've be doing that; it'd be kinda weird if they had been doing this for thosuands of year and in all that time, only a single Kree noticed.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited March 2015

My only concern:

He did get burned pretty early on.
    Helping the kid finish his battery problem and causing the storm.

Also, he was wrong for not going into the house with Skye where she got shot in the gut.

He's had his moments.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Also, is it normal that I really did not like Skye at the beginning?

No. She is adorable and I won't have you disparaging her honor!

• Options
    navgoose wrote: »
    We still don't know. Real Shield may very well have done several missions or have just graduated from a ragtag group to being a legitimately formed team. We only have the Coulson Shield side of things so far.

Not completely. We saw them when Hunter wasn't there and their behavior is consistent.
    The whole "Coulson is compromised we can't trust him" argument would be a lot easier to swallow if one of their double agents wasn't Mack.

Mack isn't in charge of a SHIELD splinter group, and Bobbi is corroborating his story.

I think Inquisitor was meaning that he was infected by an alien virus like Coulson was. Or did he leave that info out of his reports?

• Options
    edited March 2015
    I'm saying that Mack hacing been infected is the same as Coulson, becaus Mack isn't in charge of SHIELD, and he has Bobbi there to corroborate his story, so they can trust he's not lying about Coulson under some alien agenda.

Coulson was not only under the influence of aliens powers while head of SHIELD, he kept it secret while taking very specific actions because of that influence that got people killed and resulted in intel being made available to Hydra.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    I'm saying that Mack hacing been infected is the same as Coulson, becaus Mack isn't in charge of SHIELD, and he has Bobbi there to corroborate his story, so they can trust he's not lying about Coulson under some alien agenda.

Coulson was not only under the influence of aliens powers while head of SHIELD, he kept it secret while taking very specific actions because of that influence that got people killed and resulted in intel being made available to Hydra.

Coulson isn't their spy inside SHIELD either and they didn't talk to May about his condition. Mack being in charge isn't a guarantee he wouldn't be under alien influence, even if Morse believes him. HYDRA were onto that trail before Coulson was IIRC. He just accidentally found the piece they were missing before they did. He also didn't actively try to murder his colleagues with his bare hands while under mind control.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

He didn't keep it secret though - while he was head of SHIELD May was in on it, with orders to take appropriate measures.

• Options
    edited March 2015

Coulson isn't their spy inside SHIELD either and they didn't talk to May about his condition.

Yes, they're not fully informed here. I'm not saying they're right as the plot is concerned; I'm saying they're right as far as what info they have. Obviously, our SHIELD are the good guys, so Coulson is ultimately in the right, and if nuSHIELD didn't have this to bitch about, they'd probably be trying some other way to discredit Coulson.
    Mack being in charge isn't a guarantee he wouldn't be under alien influence, even if Morse believes him.

That's irrelevant; nobody is talking about putting Mack in charge, that's my point. (Wait, I meant to write "isn't the same as Coulson" so that might be confusing the issue) Mack's mission was to gather information, and they have Bobbi to corroborate the information he's given them. He's not in charge of a SHIELD splinter group. That's kind of a different scale here.
    HYDRA were onto that trail before Coulson was IIRC. He just accidentally found the piece they were missing before they did.

How would Hydra have found the city if Coulson hadn't been forced to figure out what it looks like, and then chosen to find it's location on Earth? Had he not been under alien influence, or had he just stopped after he found the shape, Hydra would have had no way of finding the city.

He also didn't actively try to murder his colleagues with his bare hands while under mind control.

Again, the issue nuSHIELD has isn't just that Coulson was under alien influence; it's that while under the influence, he hid that fact from everyone except May, while letting it influence his decision-making for like a half-season long story, the results of which were nearly handing the whole thing to Hydra, and Tripp getting killed. (They seem to be lumping Hartley in there too; though as far as the audience knows, that really wasn't the fault of Coulson's obsession)

Mack nearly killed his teammates, true, but as far as we know, nuSHIELD has been fully appraised of that situation. They still can't be sure they know all the facts with Coulson.

Coulson is ostensibly fine now.. but given nuSHIELD has no greater insight into his secrets than Bobbi or Mack, there's no way of knowing for sure. Especially since he's already shown he's fully willing to keep something like that a secret. Having that man in command one of the SHIELDs is potentially not a good thing. (We know otherwise, because he's a main character, of course)

Mack is under the jurisdiction of nuSHIELD, can be held for medical and psychiatric testing, has an agent of equal level embedded with him who can both report on his behavior and insure information gather on his mission is accurate.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    How would Hydra have found the city if Coulson hadn't been forced to figure out what it looks like, and then chosen to find it's location on Earth? Had he not been under alien influence, or had he just stopped after he found the shape, Hydra would have had no way of finding the city.

They might have found another way, HYDRA's tricky like that. Whitehall was obsessed and knew partially what was going on. He'd have found something and Coulson would be the one catching up to them. It's also not like Coulson had a choice either the infection was driving him mad and if it did it'd be a crucial blow to his organization and make him a target for HYDRA to kidnap and interrogate to get to that city.

Again, the issue nuSHIELD has isn't just that Coulson was under alien influence; it's that while under the influence, he hid that fact from everyone except May, while letting it influence his decision-making for like a half-season long story, the results of which were nearly handing the whole thing to Hydra, and Tripp getting killed. (They seem to be lumping Hartley in there too; though as far as the audience knows, that really wasn't the fault of Coulson's obsession)

True. Tripp getting killed was horrible but he is a SHIELD agent, they die all the time. It isn't an organization you sign for if you don't want to be exposed to danger and he was a field operative, not a scientist like Simmons. That seems to be a list of any reasons they can blame Coulson for to justify to themselves they have to take him down.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    edited March 2015

They might have found another way, HYDRA's tricky like that. Whitehall was obsessed and knew partially what was going on. He'd have found something and Coulson would be the one catching up to them.

Or Hydra might have entirely imploded in a giant in-fighting battle, as long as we're legitimizing "maybe." As far we've seen, it took Coulson sketching the map, Skye notifying him it was a map, and then Coulson tracking down the last dude and see the train set to get the final picture; at which point it was SHIELD who hacked a government satellite to get specific coordinates, which were then taken by Hydra. Whitehall potentially gaining the information from an a source as of yet unknown to the audience, and probably unknown to nuSHIELD, doesn't negate the fact that Whitehall DID get the information from SHIELD. Information that wouldn't have existed if it weren't for Coulson's obsession.
    It's also not like Coulson had a choice either the infection was driving him mad and if it did it'd be a crucial blow to his organization and make him a target for HYDRA to kidnap and interrogate to get to that city.

But that's the point; Coulson was under alien influence, and didn't inform the team he sent out repeatedly as a result of that influence. "He was being driven insane by this alien injection, and he sat on that information while continuing to run SHIELD" is kind of a shitty resume item. Especially since Bobbi and Mack may not know of Coulson having May as a failsafe.

True. Tripp getting killed was horrible but he is a SHIELD agent, they die all the time. It isn't an organization you sign for if you don't want to be exposed to danger and he was a field operative, not a scientist like Simmons. That seems to be a list of any reasons they can blame Coulson for to justify to themselves they have to take him down.

I think the idea is that nuSHIELD feels Tripp's death was needless. Had Coulson not been obsessed with finding alien tech, he'd be alive today. Even if SHIELD is an organization with a high death rate, that still doesn't mean you don't get mad about what you think are needless deaths.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Anyone else creeped out by Ward? He was surprisingly well-adjusted, from what we saw.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I just loved his totally casual framing of fratricide as "having a chat".

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Some Agents of Shield numbers stuff.

It's drifting back up in ratings. Effectively tied for 2nd in its timeslot, 7th for broadcast Tuesday shows, and it's back in the top 25 broadcast shows of the week. (All numbers are 18-49)

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Things I Think Would Be Cool:

If they wanted to convey that NuSHIELD is justified in their suspicion, it would be fun to have one regular episode of Coulson's team being traditionally good and awesome, then have the next episode replay those events from the POV of Bobbi and have everything they do look super shady.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    "Get ready for a large file transfer."

Aaaaaaaaahahahahah holy shit.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    NuSHIELD

Olmost Shield

Geth is Adama-nt about tracking your terrible puns.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

My only concern:

He did get burned pretty early on.
    Helping the kid finish his battery problem and causing the storm.

Also, he was wrong for not going into the house with Skye where she got shot in the gut.

He's had his moments.
    He's also had several moments of ALMOST going wrong this season.

He almost murdered Ward in cold blood. Freaked when he learned about Skye. Sure, he did the right thing, but we saw him struggle to do it.

• Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjhWyJ9xgmc

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjhWyJ9xgmc

I think I had to pause when this happened the first time from laughing so much.

• Options
    Just finished Season 1.

Some drags, the beginning few episodes were pretty blase, but I really like it.

I liked seeing Coulson as a more three dimensional character. In fact, the whole cast is pretty damn good, even if Deathlok's acting was a little robotic at the end (hah!).

I liked his performance, I'm kidding.

How Skye went from potential Jubilee to potential best thing about the show in 1 season is pretty remarkable.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    I hope the carrier being used by SHIELD is the Pegasus.

• Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    NuSHIELD

Olmost Shield

This is why we need the Hail Hydra! button.

Just finished Season 1.

Some drags, the beginning few episodes were pretty blase, but I really like it.

I liked seeing Coulson as a more three dimensional character. In fact, the whole cast is pretty damn good, even if Deathlok's acting was a little robotic at the end (hah!).

I liked his performance, I'm kidding.

How Skye went from potential Jubilee to potential best thing about the show in 1 season is pretty remarkable.

Skye is better in season two, which is a combination of Chloe Bennet improving as an actor and the show doing interesting things with her character.

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular

My only concern:

Another thing Fitz got wrong:
    He wouldn't believe Ward was actually evil, and insisted that he was probably being mind-controlled. This was at the tail end of season 1. It took Ward ejecting them into the ocean for him to accept the truth.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
This discussion has been closed.