Options

Dragon Age Thread – Bow Before Your New God

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Man, skyhold is really huge and the fast travel points available are seriously lacking.

But there's a fast travel point in almost every area?

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »
    Man, skyhold is really huge and the fast travel points available are seriously lacking.
    And they're disabled the first time you arrive. No idea why.

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    And they're disabled the first time you arrive. No idea why.

I thinks its to suggest the castle is just a wreck. And it forces you to at least kind of learn your way around.

• Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    Also I want to point out I really don't like how significantly slower your party gains XP compared to the Inquisitor. That shit is annoying when trying to get people in your party caught up so they can use gear at YOUR level.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Good lord at the sound the hart mounts make when they sprint..

It's like finger nails on a chalk board.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Hah hah. Quartermaster Threnn got demoted
    because she's a Logain loyalist.

Serves her right TBH.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Sera: It's poetry 'cause Ws and shit

• Options
    You know, I expected a spell called "virulent walking bomb" to be pretty awesome but the fact that it actually makes NPCs explode into a gory mess is even better.

• Options
    Oh my God, this Casandra conversation where you catch her
    reading one of Varric's novels
    is beyond hilarious.
    "Pretend you don't know this about me"

• Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    Hah hah. Quartermaster Threnn got demoted
    because she's a Logain loyalist.

Serves her right TBH.

To be specific she refused the position because...
    Skyhold is technically in Orlais, and as a Loghain Loyalist, it disgusts her to work there

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Oh my God, this Casandra conversation where you catch her
    reading one of Varric's novels
    is beyond hilarious.
    "Pretend you don't know this about me"

Wait till you finish the quest that gives you,
    "Guilty Pleasures"
    . It's one of my favorite scenes thus far.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    This game is completely excellent. It is just a shame I can only play it when I am at my friends and have his ps4.

This means I will complete it some time towards the end of 2015! I do love it very much though, it has fixed so many issues with Bioware RPGs for me that it isn't funny. What a great game. Total redemption for everything I disliked about DA2.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    UGH nooooooo...*Skyhold Spoilers*
    Dammit I wish I knew about the Custom Hawke bug. Now I've got a british accent that DOES not match my appearance. I'm screwed aren't I?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    This game is completely excellent. It is just a shame I can only play it when I am at my friends and have his ps4.

This means I will complete it some time towards the end of 2015! I do love it very much though, it has fixed so many issues with Bioware RPGs for me that it isn't funny. What a great game. Total redemption for everything I disliked about DA2.

Yeah, after finally getting a few abilities, my 2 handed warrior clicked with me. It strikes a nice balance between DA:O and DA2's combat.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    BassguyBassguy Ghost Ride the Dragon Registered User regular
    Holy shit, the Knight-Enchanter is so much fun! *Swoon*

• Options
    UGH nooooooo...*Skyhold Spoilers*
    Dammit I wish I knew about the Custom Hawke bug. Now I've got a british accent that DOES not match my appearance. I'm screwed aren't I?
    Yeah, I actually sucked it up, and ate 30 minutes of progress to go back, and use a default Hawke. It's a shitty situation.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    What. The. Fuck. Devs.

p09exxn5dldr.jpg

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    And dragon number 1 (Hinterlands) is down!

That was intense as hell, thank god for stacking Fire Resistance and having me and Cassandra (she's descended from dragon hunters, seemed fitting) keep it turning in circles by attacking different sides.

Lots of pretty purples, one of which I can't even use for 3 more levels :D

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Any kind soul have a list of quarries and logging stands?

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    You win, Dragon Age. You win.

YwubQPw.png

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    I'm curious to know what level people are taking on dragons at. I first went to Lady Shayla's at level 8 IIRC and she two-shotted my entire party... haven't been back since.

• Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    So. Bears suck. And when you're level 4, it's probably inadvisable to take on a camp full of level 8 bandits.

So when you find an area filled with Templars & apostates pounding the holy hell out of each other, can you ever actually clear it, or do they just keep respawning?

• Options
    JOE_1967 wrote: »
    So. Bears suck. And when you're level 4, it's probably inadvisable to take on a camp full of level 8 bandits.

So when you find an area filled with Templars & apostates pounding the holy hell out of each other, can you ever actually clear it, or do they just keep respawning?

There's a Templar camp and an Apostate camp. Clearing them will end the battle.

• Options
    I'm curious to know what level people are taking on dragons at. I first went to Lady Shayla's at level 8 IIRC and she two-shotted my entire party... haven't been back since.

I did it at level 11 by abusing the AI. The one time I messed up and the dragon started attacking it was still doing ridiculous amounts of damage. I definitely would have been wiped in a fair fight. The things have an absolutely retarded amount of hit points.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Any kind soul have a list of quarries and logging stands?

http://game-maps.com/DAI/Dragon-Age-Inquisition.asp has maps of a few zones. Also, Leliana's Forward Scouts perk will identify them for you.

I think I did the Ferelden Frostback at 11. I'd definitely get your focus power first (story mission), and then save it to deal with the dragonling swarms. Otherwise, most of the fight's a fairly standard tank and slash. When she flies about, be sure to dodge the fireballs (I've found always running towards her to work). When she lands on a perch to shoot down fireballs, stand directly under the perch and she can't hit you. Always keep a tank on her, otherwise she starts spitting fire.

You can bring TWENTY regen potions to help with the long fight if needed.

Someone on Reddit said that when she starts doing her Wing Buffet attack, if a Rogue can stab her for a lot of damage, it'll cancel that attack (!). Otherwise, run into the circle to avoid damage, pop a regen potion after. (Or, some people recommend always staying within the Wing Buffet distance radius, but slightly out of melee.) On the other hand, two Mages with Barrier will help your tank survive really well.Though again, the difficulty I found with the fight was dealing with the dragonling adds and my inability to move Cassandra about to taunt those properly while dealing with the dragon (since leaving melee from the dragon results in fiery burning) - Cass was almost always the last to die.

On your approach, if you run along the right side, there's an area where you fall out of combat, near where the mining tower is. That lets you quick save there, so you don't have to start again at the beginning of the valley.

You can also, apparently, cheese the crap out of her.

As I've typed this, a bunch of wolves have walked into the Inquisition camp I'm in. However, it does look like there's an invisible wall blocking them from coming in. Still, it's a bit unnerving.

Edit:
    JOE_1967 wrote: »

There's a Templar camp and an Apostate camp. Clearing them will end the battle.

Also, a bandit HQ that you can clear to stop them from respawning (though it's a lot more involved than the other two).

hippofant on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Man, replaying through the Mage quest again, I recall someone mentioning how they didn't give you enough potions in this dungeon, and now after looking around the second time through, I disagree. They're literally CHOKING me to death with supply caches for potions. Like one for every big battle through the dungeon.

So I want to point out that using your search function during story quests is VITAL if you want to make sure you don't miss a supply cache. This way you'll rarely run out of potions.

Yeah, after I finished the one fight that was giving me endless trouble I found two potion caches that would have been very handy earlier, if I hadn't been too dumb to see them.

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Duncan. I know you want me to drink this Darkspawn blood. There's no reason to be coy, we're both reasonable adults with beards, you're not going to make us go fetch 3 vials of blood so we don't drink it in a weird ritual.

Alistair is going for something. I'm not sure what, yet.

I am going to spend a lot of conversations covered in strawberry jam.

BrocksMullet on
    I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    Took over a cult on the stormcoast, now all their patrols throughout the zone are friendly to me and their fort is a fast travel point.

Love stuff like that. That gradual feeling of making a region your bitch.

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    My only complaint so far is that I really wish when I right clicked on an object, I would just walk to it and interact with it.

And maybe just let me auto-attack.

But everything else has been fun.

• Options
    Ok yeah, "Guilty Pleasures" companion quest is probably the best thing I've seen in this game so far. Giving Cassandra a hard time was way too much fun.

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    I don't suppose anyone knows roughly how many Inquisition perks you'll earn over the course of the game? I'm trying to decide if I want to get stuff like expanded search and that forward scouts thing, or just focus on the straight up mechanical benefits.

• Options
    Man, I was just browsing the trophies for this game, and there are mechanics I still haven't seen yet. I AM 25 HOURS INTO THIS GAME. DA:I is crazy in the best way.
    Taking over keeps is a thing, I guess. Been too busy specializing and macking on Josephine to progress the plot much since Skyhold.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Question for people further along than I am re: approval and romance:
    Can you still romance Cassandra if you side with the mages?

Also as a general note how much does approval matter? Does it affect romance possibilities/can you lose party members? Do you need a certain threshold to get loyalty missions? It seems very opaque this time around.

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Took over a cult on the stormcoast, now all their patrols throughout the zone are friendly to me and their fort is a fast travel point.

I've got to start paying attention to quests more. I just ran in and completely slaughtered everyone. Oops.
    Also, I have no idea what everyone is talking about with Haven when it's attacked. I just remember fighting off some red Templars and shooting some trebuchets. What's this about saving people?

Edit: oops. Damn tags didn't work.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    @Heir Spoilers dude. I had not gotten that far in the plot yet.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    Heir wrote: »

I'
    ve got to start paying attention to quests more. I just ran in and completely slaughtered everyone. Oops.

Also, I have no idea what everyone is talking about with Haven when it's attacked. I just remember fighting off some red Templars and shooting some trebuchets. What's this about saving people?
    Yeah, I didn't see anything to save people either. However, a bunch of the merchants/staff got murdered and replaced by the time I got to Skyhold. If that's the only difference, I do not care at all.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I am a little ashamed to say I made a male Inquisitor probably solely for the purposes of romancing Cassandra

Character creator hype get!
    3INuiRy.jpg

XaY1MW0.jpg

I think I did okay making a handsome cad with a little bit of character (wears hair long and stubble rough to hide his battle scars on the side of his face because he's a diva like that) BUT like many before me I will have to go back and redo it because I put in a lip color and even though I turned it to the lowest setting BioWare somehow went apeshit with all the reflections in game so against a direct light source like he's got super dusky eyeshadow (which is fine, I can deal with my Inquisitor being a tryhard male model) but somehow the orange-brown lip color comes out deep red.

BioWare pls

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I don't suppose anyone knows roughly how many Inquisition perks you'll earn over the course of the game? I'm trying to decide if I want to get stuff like expanded search and that forward scouts thing, or just focus on the straight up mechanical benefits.

People have said 10-15. But you can do infinite requisitions. That being said, each level of influence costs another 1000 influence, and requisitions each only are 200, I think. Still, I've gotten 10 and I'm level... 17, having cleared 4 zones and 2 story missions. (2 story missions? I'm in Skyhold is what I'm trying to say.)
    Bassguy wrote: »
    Heir wrote: »

I'
    ve got to start paying attention to quests more. I just ran in and completely slaughtered everyone. Oops.

Yeah, I didn't see anything to save people either. However, a bunch of the merchants/staff got murdered and replaced by the time I got to Skyhold. If that's the only difference, I do not care at all.
    That's basically it. Some influence. Maybe some exp. Also, they get replaced in Skyhold no matter what - I assume the devs didn't want to deal with you having TWO quartermasters, TWO smiths, TWO whatever etc etc the whole game. The originals are still around, just doing "other stuff".

Which is a shame, cuz Minaeve was in the running for my favourite side character.

hippofant on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    So I just fought my first dragon.

Party was my Reaver, Cassandra, Viv, and Varric.

Cassandra was basically tanking with her face while my Reaver and Varric dealt out the damage.

I took control of Viv for that round because barrier support was of the upmost importance and some of those well-timed barriers just before my team got roasted alive by fireballs really saved the day.

The only person who went down was Varric and that was because the AI decided at the end of the fight that it would walk into a pool of fire.

I mean I had Viv chugging fire resist tonics like a champ and I ended the fight with one potion but all and all it went well.

Dragkonias on
This discussion has been closed.