As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Wrestling] thread is here to show the world

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    The last anon gm was, yes

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Yoshitatsu's MRI results confirm he broke his neck in two places from the Styles Clash in Power Struggle

isn't this like the fifth time AJ's done this now

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Um, how bad is that for Tatsu? Career ending?

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Um, how bad is that for Tatsu? Career ending?

Barring a setback in rehab he'll probably be back around this time next year or early 2016

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Yoshitatsu's MRI results confirm he broke his neck in two places from the Styles Clash in Power Struggle

That move getting fucked up is the person taking its fault. You just do a flat front bump. If you don't want to land on your head taking that move, you won't.

• Options
    The Styles Clash just looks like a weak move to me anyway as a finish.

• Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    I understand the wrestling instinct to tuck your head when you're being held upside down like that, but I'm mystified as to why it's happened multiple times this year. I feel like at this point that it's the number one thing people should be telling themselves before facing Styles; just look up and everything will be fine.

And I agree completely that the Styles Clash looks more like a cool signature move than a finisher. Which is exactly how Tanahashi used it before Styles showed up.

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    Magell wrote: »

That move getting fucked up is the person taking its fault. You just do a flat front bump. If you don't want to land on your head taking that move, you won't.

I would agree with this, but with the recent cases of injury we have seen from it, I have to wonder what's going on. AJ's been doing this move safely for years, and now suddenly we're seeing all these broken necks? What's changed?

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    I realized I'd never seen someone mess up that move, so I looked at a video real quick and OH MY that looks horrifying.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular

I would agree with this, but with the recent cases of injury we have seen from it, I have to wonder what's going on. AJ's been doing this move safely for years, and now suddenly we're seeing all these broken necks? What's changed?

He went from doing it to people he's worked with for a long time that know how to take it to doing it to brand new opponents who have never taken that move before?

If I were an evil man who thought ill of all around him, I'd say AJ is coming into these things feeling like enough of a big shot that people should "just know" how to take it and so he doesn't do the preparations necessary to avoid injuries. But that'd be rampant speculation.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    cornellcornell Registered User regular
    I'm surprised they let that AJ promo happen, pretty un-PG.

• Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    If that is the move I think it is, I remember seeing some clips of it where the guys head was on the mat still when the person doing the move went for it. Almost as if the person taking the move was either too tall for the move to be done safely or the person doing the move isn't holding them up high enough to do the move safely.

• Options
    I saw this live

https://youtube.com/watch?v=WBsB-HjjLi8

The entire arena thought Roddy was crippled.

• Options
    cornell wrote: »
    I'm surprised they let that AJ promo happen, pretty un-PG.

I could see them start pushing the boundaries of PG. But they'll never go full AE because they lost a ton of sponsers during that time, and sponsership is difficult enough to get in wrestling.

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular

He is working in multiple companies with varied opponents who dont work with him on the regular and likely dont have time to practice taking the move all that much prior to the event.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    I saw this live

https://youtube.com/watch?v=WBsB-HjjLi8

The entire arena thought Roddy was crippled.

Eeeep...but yeah it is pretty dang clear that Roddy goes absoloutely the wrong way with his body.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Okay so t-shirt ideas:

The first one is called Bad News, and features a huge Barretts face smiling and winking on the front, and his old elevated work platform getting RKO'd out of nowhere on the back.

The second one is called I Lost a Bet, and just has Jamie Noble's grimacing face one the front, and has "Lost A Bet" written across the shoulders on the back.

Third one is called Lifelong Disappointment, has the words
    BLEW
    JOB
    in huge font on the front, and Batistas face on the back covered in blue stage make up and looking sad.

• Options
    So the Network Raw replays have hit 1996 and now everyone can watch the glorious trainwreck of Billionaire Ted's Wrasslin War Room.

And Vader.

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Yoshi's burial upon his return to New Japan may be the harshest I've ever heard of in professional wrestling.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    I just got around to watching RAW from last night and I think the most unbelievable part was the fact that Erick Rowan got a sizable chant.

I mean I'm real happy for the guy, but like a few months ago if you said Erick Rowan was going to get chants I would never believe you.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    I think part of it is that they just REALLY wanted someone to come shut Big Show up. (but its still great that he got chants)

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    MrDapper wrote: »
    I just got around to watching RAW from last night and I think the most unbelievable part was the fact that Erick Rowan got a sizable chant.

I mean I'm real happy for the guy, but like a few months ago if you said Erick Rowan was going to get chants I would never believe you.

Just goes to show that creative sometimes can get something right.

Too bad more often than not they make us frustrated.

• Options
    The Betman wrote: »
    I think part of it is that they just REALLY wanted someone to come shut Big Show up. (but its still great that he got chants)

Show finding a great new heel persona absolutely helped Rowan get over.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I know it won't happen, but I'd like to see HHH weasel his way back into power by gaining control of NXT somehow and forming a stable of those guys to take over WWE.

Sort of like the Nexus, but not as shitty this time.

• Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    I knew they held grudges, but I didn't think they'd try to cripple him. Dirty pool New Japan, dirty pool indeed.
    Seriously though it's worth mentioning that AJ tells pretty much everyone he works with not to tuck their chin on the Clash. However instinct is a bitch to fight and you tuck your chin on so many bumps that I can kind of see how you might do it on the clash as well.

In better news here is a great New Japan t-shirt:10703875_741021072600871_1757141556157114325_n.jpg?oh=bdf5e40c9f2ead3316ad85caea1a29b3&oe=5508ED6E

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    I'm glad Show got out of SS and Raw stronger instead of Henry and Kane. I love Mark to death but I really don't see a need for him to be around anymore. Kane is just tiring to me now. Both guys have been around forever and I'd like to see newer big men brought in like Corbin and BIG CASS.

• Options
    AXS TV wrote:
    AXS TV EXPANDS FRIDAY NIGHT LINEUP ACQUIRING ‘NEW JAPAN PRO WRESTLING’ SERIES FOR 2015

13-Episode Series Premieres on U.S. Television Jan. 16, 2015 at 9 p.m. ET/ 6 p.m. PT Leading Into the Weekly Live AXS TV FIGHTS Broadcast

Josh Barnett and Mauro Ranallo Serve As English Language Commentators

LOS ANGELES – Nov. 24, 2014 – Building on the success of the AXS TV FIGHTS Friday night franchise, AXS TV has acquired a 13 episode series from Japan’s largest professional wrestling promotion, NEW JAPAN PRO WRESTLING (NJPW). Premiering Jan. 16, 2015, NJPW will air on Friday nights at 9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT leading into the network’s weekly live MMA, Muay Thai, and kickboxing broadcasts.

Airing for the first time ever in the U.S., the hour-long weekly series features the most exciting matches from NJPW’s Japanese broadcasts and pay-per-view events. Former UFC Heavyweight champion and NJPW veteran Josh Barnett and famed combat sports commentator Mauro Ranallo are providing English language commentary for the series.

Founded in 1972, NJPW has established itself as the premier wrestling organization in Japan and the second largest and fastest growing wrestling promotion in the world. In recent years, NJPW has gained international recognition, winning the Wrestling Observer Newsletter “Promotion of the Year” award two years running and boasting three-year reigning “Wrestler of the Year” Hiroshi Tanahashi.

The series premiere features Tanahashi defending the promotion’s prestigious IWGP Heavyweight Title against his long-time rival Kazuchika Okada in front of 29,000 fans at the Tokyo Dome.

“With this acquisition, AXS TV FIGHTS now offers one of the most diverse combat sports and sports entertainment programming line-ups on television,” said AXS TV FIGHTS CEO Andrew Simon. “There is a strong relationship and influence between professional wrestling and MMA, and with the addition of Josh Barnett and Mauro Ranallo as our commentators, we’re confident this new venture will be a crossover hit with wrestling and MMA fans alike.”

AXS TV’s NJPW episodes were produced by and purchased from TV ASAHI CORPORATION.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    Ranallo is an affront to good taste, but Barnett being on the commentary team more than makes up for it.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Mauro is .. suitable, I guess, but yeah I've never been a fan of his dating back to his PRIDE days.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    If you ever wanted a Rob Van Damn autographed picture that's made out to Burt Reynolds, now's your chance!

http://www.julienslive.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/146/lot/60069/?url=/view-auctions/catalog/id/146/?page=22

• Options

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Alert the media, Gabe is releasing a whopping SIX new Evolve DVDs in time for Black Friday. Apparently they're all recent shows, which is funny because they still haven't released anything past 19.

Mr. Sapolsky, is it really that difficult to produce DVDs? SMV had KoT 2014 out on that format only days after it happened. If the issue is they don't sell and aren't a priority, stop making them and stick to iPPV/VOD only.

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Huh, so they debut them before they said they would on Raw. Not that I'm complaining, just curious.

• Options
    Smackdown spoiler related to TLC
    Kane vs Ryback in a chairs match was booked. So they are going back to individual TLC gimmicks for the PPV. Hope we get Harper vs Dolph in a ladder match.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Might just be an unaired test run

• Options
    Goose! wrote: »
    Might just be an unaired test run

Maybe. The spoilers don't say how the crowd reacted to them.

• Options
    Smackdown spoilers
    Miz TV opened the show. Daniel Bryan came out he is running the show tonight. He said the matches would be Ryback vs. Seth Rollins, Luke Harper vs. Dolph Ziggler for the Intercontinental Title, and Rusev in 20-man battle royal for title as punishment for Monday.

1. Rusev won a 20-man battle royal to retain the U.S. Title. The other entrants were Miz, Mizdow, Big Show, Eric Rowan, Jack Swagger, Heath Slater, Titus O’Neil, Stardust, Goldust, Justin Gabriel, Sin Cara, Adam Rose, Tyson Kidd, Los Matadores, Cesaro, The and the Uso Brothers. The final five were Gator or an Uso, Kidd, Cesaro, Swagger, and Rusev…

There was a Kane t-shirt skit with Santino Marella…

A Bray Wyatt promo was next… Emma came out and the Big E preacher video played which was weird…

2. Divas Champion Nikki Bella (w/Brie Bella) defeated Emma. Nikki won and talked about AJ Lee after the match. AJ came out and hit Brie. Brie did nothing and said nothing the whole match or interview. They said nothing about her 30-day run as Nikki’s personal assistant being up.

Ryback vs. Seth Rollins is up next.

3. Ryback fought Seth Rollins to a DQ when Kane came out with a chair. It was a good match that went over 15 minutes or so. Kane worked over Ryback with a chair as Rollins and J&J Security watched from the ramp.

4. The New Day beat Heath Slater, Titus O’Neil, and Curtis Axel. The New Day is Xavier Woods, Big E, and Kofi Kingston.

There was a Daniel Bryan interview backstage. He scheduled Kane vs Ryback in a chairs match for TLC. They asked Daniel Bryan if he would be back soon and he said “Yes! Yes! Yes!”…

5. Dolph Ziggler defeated Luke Harper by count out in an Intercontinental Title match. Ziggler won by count out in about ten minutes. Harper tried to hit Ziggler with belt after the match and missed. Ziggler laid him out with the Zig Zag. This concluded the television taping.

So if the New Day match was dark this sounds like a very short taping. Still it sounds like a good show overall.

• Options
    So it looks like Randy won't be back till after Christmas.

This discussion has been closed.